PDA

View Full Version : commerical directing

aaron_wade
12-31-2004, 12:05 AM
any advice on how to get into commercial directing. any good routes to take? ad agencies? any advice would help. thanks.

Jim Brennan
12-31-2004, 08:52 AM
It depends. If you have your own crew, you can freelance out to marketing companies. They will lok at your reel and decide if they want to throw any business your way. I am currently going this route by shooting a few spots for friends who own businesses. The spots may or may not air, but I will have something for my reel.

I've also had some success just approaching business owners. If you do your homework about broadcast rates, combining that with what your expenses are, you can ballpark them a package price. I contacted my local cable company and spoke to their advertising guy. He was very helpful.

I'm still learning the ropes myself, but the impression that I get is that there is a demand for competent shooters. I'm sure there are more experienced folks on this site who can weigh in though.

cyclone
12-31-2004, 10:40 AM
A good 'spec' spot (written and funded yourself) works extremely well at ad agencies. They are always looking to find new talent (which translates to 'less expensive') and it is a great way to make sure the spot shows off your particular talents (i.e. humor, vignettes, tabletop, performance, cinematography, whatever). Good luck!

Bermudaforce
12-31-2004, 06:11 PM
aaron_wade,
Hey, if you have already have friends in the industry it's much easier to get work. But if you don't know anybody then start asking if your friends and have their friends ask somebody. A friend of mine started out working as a PA and now he's a 1st AC on several car commecials. Sooner or later he'll end of directing one.. You never know. Just continue to do what you are going to do.

natob2
01-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Aaron- I produce for a major ad agency and I work with commercial directors on a regular basis. First I should say that our agency's director's library holds somewhere around 11,000 reels. This is a very competitive business. To make it you need three things: 1) Talent 2) Connections 3) Luck.

There are three common routes into commercial directing:
1. Start as an agency creative or a producer. By creative I mean art director or writer. There are many established commercial directors out there who began on the agency side. (I personally think this is the best way in.)
2. Make a very successful feature or several features. You do this and your IN. 25 year old director Jared Hess (Moxie Pictures) is a recent example.
3. Go out on your own and start making specs. Hope they are VERY good. Then kick the door down to get anyone of any importance to see them. The director Pez is a good example of this route, check out http://www.eatpez.com

If you want this bad enough (I am a strong believer that you create your own luck), and you are talented, it's just a matter of time before you're in the door.

I wanted to add that I don't look at director's work unless they are represented by a production company. If you want to work for an ad agency than focus on that, if you want to go straight into directing its all about getting noticed by production companies and their reps.