PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood camera work

Paris
12-22-2004, 06:34 PM
I was just wondering if any body heard of this video call hollywood camera works, it looks like a good video with tons of information for filmmakers. *im thinking about buying, *but i dont want to blow 500 dollars if the video isnt good. PLZ, feedback would be nice, whats your opinon about the video? To look at the sample video go to www.hollywoodcamerawork.us

Woodson
12-22-2004, 08:22 PM
With that $500 why don't use that for your budget and shoot a short.

Peronally I think all these softwares are useless all they are doing is making a quick buck, your never going to learn as good as actually doing it.

Taylor Moore
12-24-2004, 09:56 AM
Hi Paris,
I went to the website and did check it out...it does appear interesting.
Also check out the book Film Directing Shot by Shot : Visualizing from Concept to Screen by Steven Katz

I have gotten alot from this book.

sojrn
12-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Looks like you'll be paying for all the animation and polish. Why not get a couple of good books for $75, then as Woodson says, put the rest of it in a budget and shoot a short. 8)

J.R. Hudson
12-25-2004, 01:00 AM
It does look intriguing considering people spend well above this for film schools and workshops. If someone has $500.00 it does look valuable. The sample clips are pretty impressive. Think of all the cash spent on books and other instructional material. I'd consider it.

mickeloaf
12-25-2004, 09:41 AM
I agree with you John. Considering what they have done, it's a bargain compared to taking a course. The info in books might be cheaper, but it's going to take longer to absorb the info, and just doesn't compare to seeing it in this format. I'm definately considering it. To bad you couldn't rent something like this.

sojrn
12-25-2004, 03:22 PM
You'll probably find it on Half.com in a couple of months.

mickeloaf
12-25-2004, 08:11 PM
They should definately lower the price! ;)

Cheesesailor77
01-05-2005, 10:41 PM
those look really good.

But not for $500

lets keep things in perspective, 9 hours for $500? plus 8.25% if u live in Ca like me, sry, theres far to much i could do with 500 bucks, INCLUDING the suggestion of financing my short.

for $300, i'd consider it, for $200, I'd start saving up my change, for $100, u bet I'd nab that up quick... but $500? I'd rather be out shooting my Undead Nation episode with awesome zombie make-up or something. lol

Beat Takeshi
01-06-2005, 07:21 AM
I think just seeing these ideas in action to better understand them help a great deal. The clips are impressive as John said and if this helps you understand your moves and gives you nicer shots then I think its worth it. Using the 3D like they say on thier site, has expressionless models so you dont get caught up or distracted by the acting. For someone who has never been on a set this might be really helpfull. Then again, the rest of the DVDs might suck and these were the only imformative clips. I might spend on them to see what they have and if I do I'll let you know how they are. They are a tax deduction if you buy them just like any other class or course you take in your field.

Mythfit
01-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Well 500 is a lot, and as some have suggested you could take that cash and just go shoot, youíll learn a lot just doing that.

On the other hand its nice to have the technical aspects laid out for you so you have some inkling of what your doing when you begin, issues like how to control your DoF, crossing the line, white balance, lighting, etc, etc.

The books are an excellent route, as long as you put the time in to read em, otherwise they just collect dust.

Everyone has their own best way to learn, for me I went back to school and itís great. As Iíve said elsewhere I was an actor first and Iím still a newbie shootist, but I have learned so much in school that I probably wouldnít have absorbed with the books alone.

That said, I also have the books that everyone suggests over and over and I love em as reference tools, there is ALWAYS more to learn.

I have never used any of those CD-ROMs, but I have been tempted. So understanding how you learn best is going to help you choose the method.

Beat Takeshi
01-07-2005, 08:47 AM
I think both books and video help me equally. Sometimes I just cant grasp a concept but when I see it in action i'll remember it forever. Video helped me break through the learning barrier I had for 3D work. I bought a bunch of Lightwave training tapes a long time ago from Lee Stranahan and to this day nearly 6 years later I can still remember everything he said and I still use the info. He was exceptionally interesting in his presentation also and that might have a lot to do with it but these camera DVD's seem to be just as interesting. I too read and have most books that are recommended and learn a great deal each time I read them over. There is always something new that will come into light on a revisit to the book. I always go back to them to refresh and to remind me of things that I forget about when setting up shoots. I get to the point where I cant sleep thinking about what I should do for each shot and sometimes forget the basics. $500 is alot but if you get a job shooting something and use the technique you learn in them and make your client happy they have just paid for themselves a few times over.