PDA

View Full Version : Judith Weston's books (Directing Actors, Directors

milkmanFILMS
01-26-2005, 02:33 AM
I just purchased Judith Westons famous books
Directing Actors, and the Film Directors Intuition.

I heard they are really great. I was wondering if
anyone knows which to read first, i know directing
actors was released first.

Thanks,

and if you havnt checked this books out, make sure ya do.

10s
01-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Directing Actors is the one everyone howls over.

Jim Brennan
01-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Cool, I just ordered it from the library.

LloydC
01-26-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm reading that now...
i love it so far

Woodson
01-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Those reading the book care to say what Weston talks about, and what methods of directing that she says that work. I'm guessing she teaches about method acting, the Stanislavski way.

seunosewa
12-30-2007, 05:35 AM
What other books would you recommend to a writer-director?

Ted Spencer
12-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Those reading the book care to say what Weston talks about, and what methods of directing that she says that work. I'm guessing she teaches about method acting, the Stanislavski way.

Weston's "Directing Actors" is oustanding. 5 stars.

There's some Stanislavsky influence in there for sure, as there's been in virtually every acting book written and every acting class taught in the last 50 years.

Among her signature contributions though (and remember, this is a book primarily for directors, not actors - although I found it very helpful to me as an actor), is the notion of avoiding "result-oriented" direction. So, don't say to an actor "give me more energy" or the like, but rather direct the actor more *indirectly* so (s)he tends to find just that in the reality of the scene. It's explained in great detail in the book.

There's much, much more to love about it, but that was one of the key points I went away from it with. She covers this and her other points of view with crystal-clarity, repeating and reinforcing them in just the right measure. Probably very similarly to the way she would gently, deftly nurture great performances out of actors on a set.

A very inspring book.

rc444
01-02-2008, 01:16 PM
I just purchased Judith Westons famous books
Directing Actors, and the Film Directors Intuition.

I heard they are really great. I was wondering if
anyone knows which to read first, i know directing
actors was released first.

Thanks,

and if you havnt checked this books out, make sure ya do.
Twentieth Century Actor Training (ed. Alison Hodge) is an excellent book for a director. It talks about 14 acting theories over the last century and goes beyond Stanislavski and the more populist approaches.

Weston's book is very good, certain chapters are excellent - the one on script analysis and using action verbs are the best chapters. Some other chapters are a little bit philosophical in places.

bill totolo
01-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Agree. "Directing Actors" 5 stars. Changed everything for me. Took her workshops as well. Highly recomend.

Jim Brennan
01-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Both are great. FDI was just as valuable to me as DA, but I'm glad I read DA first.

Tom Marshall
01-03-2008, 01:57 AM
I've never heard of FDI. I'll have to look into it.

Jim Brennan
01-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Lots of stuff on script analysis, rehearsals and stuff like that.

Directore
01-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Excuse me for my question and for bad English. Is it possible to receive somewhere pdf or doc copy of Judith Weston book "Directing actors"? In Russia there is no bookstores with such literature at all (only fundamental books about theatre and training theatre actors (Stanislavsky, Chechov etc) ((
I bought several books from Amazon that I already know. But before buying "Directing Actors" or anything else, I like to look inside the book (maybe few chapters but not only couple of pages as in Amazon).
It is the best way to know - is it necessary for me (Ive already finished State Russia Cinema Institute and have some experience in working with actors).
Thank you.

Directore
02-07-2008, 09:51 AM
eh...still no answers.

Jim Brennan
02-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Not that I know of. How is your library system? I often can do an interlibrary loan if my local library does not have a book.

moonlitnite
02-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Hi Directore,

Probably the reason no one has responded to you is because in the United States, Judith's books are copyrighted. So she and her business associated would not allow a PDF, MS-DOC, text, etc files to be available in the public domain. And even if someone here illegally typed or scanned a copy of copyrighted books, they could be sued in a civil court for copyright violation.

Hopefully you can find an associate who will loan you their copy of the book.

Warm Regards, Michael

Ted Spencer
02-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Personally, I think the book is a very safe bet. I'd give it better than 9-1 odds you won't regret buying it.

Directore
02-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks. You right. But it is a pity that I cant read just one chapter before buying...Ok, I can buy Weston but here there are NO professional BOOKS (about filmdirecting or cinema-acting like Katz, Mamet, Rabiger, Proferes etc) AT ALL!((
And we have not this international library system...

I already booked Weston at Amazon but now I choose a good book about production and I dont know - how to buy it without looking inside...
I choose this:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Production-Handbook-Third-CD-ROM/dp/0240804198/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202514904&sr=1-1
...only because I like "table of contents"))))))

Trying to find a book because I want to plan my shooting day better. Is it good for me? (excuse me for little off-topic).

As for Weston, I study Stanislavsky well for 5 years in University and thats why I want to know if her book have some new info for me.

seunosewa
02-08-2008, 04:18 PM
You don't need to read what's inside. Many people believe it's a good book; all the people who have read the book can't be wrong. Just read the reviews!

Directore
02-08-2008, 05:16 PM
and her another book? whats the difference between them?

Jim Brennan
02-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Directing Actors deals more with actual direction techniques. Film Director's Intuition deals more with breaking down scripts to find narrative threads and the spine of a character and rehearsal techniques. There is a lot of crossover between them. I see them as companion books, but if I had to recommend one to get first it would be Directing Actors. Will there be something "new" for you? I would think so. If nothing else a different POV.

moonlitnite
02-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Rehi,

Yes, her book titles provide very accurate descriptions of the contents. And if you could only afford one book, for most it would be Directing Actors - it has lots of insights not found elsewhere. Film Director's Intuition os for of a "how to" book. Another along that line that I like is, Michael Rabiger's "Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics". But of course you can always refer to the STICKY NOTES here (http://dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=77589).

Warm Regards, Michael

Mokey Studios
02-10-2008, 10:34 PM
I like the Directing Actors better than her other book.
But I really recommend the book, one of the best out there for directors.

moonlitnite
02-13-2008, 12:36 AM
We should also stress the importance of screening our actors. Casting actors is paramount - here's a lucid video illustrating the synergies during this critical process:

http://www.thevacationeers.com/Videos%3A_Saw_3.html

Enjoy, Michael