PDA

View Full Version : 3D storyboard software

dakotapod
01-15-2005, 12:44 PM
This has been mentioned before but it's on sale so I thought it deserved a re-visit.

Frameforge 3D

I've been using this storyboard app for a while and it's really starting to grow on me. It has some minor limitations but once you get going it's pretty slick. Not for the die hard 3D guys, but you can certainly do some very nice storyboards. I think what I like the most is being able to move cameras around on the fly to see a shot with various setups. Can't do that with pencil and paper and once you get going it's pretty fast to burn off your boards.

@ $350 it's a tad over priced and you need to pay extra for specialized "expansion packs" but if you are struggling with storyboarding and have the budget I would recommend taking a look. It's on sale right now @ http://www.writersstore.com for $280. There is a limited but very usable demo to try on the frameforge site as well.

Animated overview:

http://www.frameforge3d.com/walkthrough/index.html

Main site:

http://www.frameforge3d.com

http://img33.exs.cx/img33/8753/controlroom3ex.jpg

10s
01-15-2005, 02:53 PM
i used the demo and was trying to find the Lens equivelence to the DVX , any luck?

...it's a pretty cool tool but it does cost a little too much with all the add ons....but it migt be better than stick figures and it would be nice for some selling to backers... :)

dakotapod
01-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Ya, I think it's a tad high priced but nothing else on the market so it could be worse. :-/

Once I started using it I quickly decided that time wise the investment was worth it. For me anyway. Would take me weeks to do by hand what I can do in a day.

For the DVX setting: Under file > Select film/frame size - you can select Video and 1/3" CCDs. How exact a match I could not say, but I assume good enough. You can custom tweak it too if you are a stickler.

Cheesesailor77
01-15-2005, 04:51 PM
i tried to use it a while ago, but it was just too clunky, way to slow, i suck at drawing but its still faster to do a crappy sketch

dakotapod
01-15-2005, 05:48 PM
i tried to use it a while ago, but it was just too clunky, way to slow

I did at first as well. Found it clumsy and time consuming. After a little patience and trial and error on a workflow it started to work out far better. I just needed to get used to the UI I guess. Now I find it flows nicely.

I also had to discipline myself to remember it's a storyboard and not to fill up the scene with 100 props and such. They're not really needed. Just slows it down and has no bearing on the cell (other then looking cooler.)

10s
01-15-2005, 06:00 PM
What I like about it, is that you can elevate and move the camera to find your angles. Sometimes I find angles through playing around, othertimes through imagination. The demo tool helped me play around and pre-viz before shooting so it might be worth learning, but I agree, the learning curve can be a real hassle.

dakotapod
01-15-2005, 06:10 PM
Ya. That's why I posted on it. I almost gave up on it a few times. It's not hard to use, but something about the interface or something is screwy. Not sure what it is & I can't put my finger on it, but something is off. *:-/

I kept going back to it because other then sketching there is little option. I'm glad I did because now I'm moving along nicely. And absolutely, moving the camera around in the 3D environment is awesome. Once the set is in place you can experiment with camera placement and angles like crazy. Much better then messing around on set.

I'm glad I stuck with it. It will greatly improve shooting IMHO 8)

LloydC
01-16-2005, 10:35 AM
ya I've been using the FF demo for a while... find it very useful for camera angles and such..
but I do find it cumbersome trying to get the manicans to pose a certain way... either that or have them standing stiff upright

SadMax
01-24-2005, 03:30 PM
NewTek's Lightwave 3D combined with Curious Labs' Poser are a good combo for digital storyboarding.

More expensive than Frameforge, but tremendously more capable for other apps beyond storyboarding, too.

If you want to invest the time to learn them.

Slimothy
01-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Wow. I'm going to download the demo now. Does it self destruct after a certain amount of time like alot of demos?

dakotapod
01-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Does it self destruct after a certain amount of time like alot of demos?

No, you can use it forever but it's crippled. Minimum props and you can only use a small number of scenes per board. Output has a watermark. But you can certainly get a feel of it.