PDA

View Full Version : You never know who will make it...

J_Barnes
01-26-2005, 11:28 AM
You never know who will make it. *Some of the most talented actors never seem to get noticed, while others seem to have parts fall into their laps without any sort of effort.

I got an email today from an old chum about one of the students that was in an audition class I was assisting last year at my former place of work. *

She was quiet, at times uninspired in her acting and generally seemed more interested in maintaining her educational visa and partying then she was at practicing her craft.

Then I go to the link in his email and I see how she was just nominated for an Academy Award. *Yeah, an Oscar. I never looked twice at her and now she's nominated for an Oscar.

So the moral to the story for all you young people out there casting for your tiny projects...you can't ever know who is going to make it, so keep your eyes open.

Neil Rowe
01-26-2005, 11:42 AM
heck, just like alot of the popular music artists cant actually sing that well.. *most of the actors in all hollywood cant actually act that well. * * they're just there to be a pretty face or somethng to look or laugh at to keep you from paying attention to the actual plot that stinks worse than the old butter and soda spilled on the theatre seat your sitting in.

David Jimerson
01-26-2005, 12:50 PM
So . . . who was it? Can't too much of a secret if she's gotten a nomination.

J_Barnes
01-26-2005, 01:11 PM
I'll tell you who it is in a PM. Specifically who it is, is unimportant...the important part is that it could have been anybody...and that's what is so hard about casting.

You never really know who is going to be a breakout actor.

Jim Brennan
01-26-2005, 02:13 PM
My favorite guitar instructor was a brilliant musician. I feel pretty confident in my ability to judge that. He was probably one of the top 3 classical guitarists I've ever seen.

I think he sells insurance now, or something...

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. But I'll take both if I can get it.

SadMax
01-26-2005, 03:54 PM
I worked on a show once where somebody put up a sign on set:

Be careful whose toes you step on today. They may be connected to the ass you'll be kissing tomorrow.

alveraz
01-26-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm feeling pretty lucky about the last cast I worked with, in particular four of the eight, which I'm certain will do very well with their careers, so much so that there were those devious times when, 'I got 'em first' comments raced through my mind.

How much does it rock when they make it easy on you? Amazing. One of them mentioned to my AD that he was suprised how little I actually worked with him. This after seeing how much time I spent working with the other actors. I told him it was a compliment, 'I don't fix what aint broke'. It was as if he stood over my shoulder as I wrote the character. Indeed, you never know what you're gonna get, so cherish and take care of each one of them.

...good times.

Slimothy
01-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Jbarnes, Could ya shoot me a pm. I'd like to know also. :)

10s
01-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Barnes, you can now add this to your resume credits... former student...Oscar.....take the credit..... ;) & a bow.

J_Barnes
01-27-2005, 02:55 AM
Not a direct student of mine...I was assisting that class and had no hand in the teaching. The teacher is a working casting director, so she doesn't need the credits either...but the school sure does.

Now my former co-worker is kicking himself because he turned her down! :P

Woodson
01-27-2005, 10:34 AM
ohohohoho... was it Catalina Sandino Moreno, damn shes was amazing in her first role. The acting was so Natural which doesn't come around too often these days. I was amazed at her performance.

IncMedia
01-28-2005, 12:06 AM
I agree

natob2
01-31-2005, 12:50 PM
Making it takes talent AND gumption. Some of the most talented people I know aren't making it because they're either lazy, lack social skills, are scared, or an number of other inhibiting qualities.

J.R. Hudson
01-31-2005, 07:24 PM
The list of films I have worked on are short. But, one has Pierce Brosnan and the other had an actress (who will remain nameless). Two different films here.

Pierce was the coolest, most professional, courteous person. A real pro. I talked to him on more than few occasions (over the course of a couple weeks) and was intorduced to his wife (who has since passed) and his two sons. At the 'Wrap Party' I even got to share a beer with him. A very cool experience. I always remember how nice and down to earth he was (is).

This 'Nameless' actress? She has third billing in film that was back in 1990. She was such a bitch to EVERYONE. She really thought her stuff didnt stink. Rude, sassy, arrogant (Can a woman be arrogant?). She made one more film after that (according to IMDB) and I have never seen her again.

J_Barnes
02-01-2005, 03:00 AM
UPDATE: So, I talked to my old pal at the acting school and he did some research into this chick which sheds some light on things.

Turns out that they were in the middle of shooting Maria Full of Grace already and they'd moved production to queens for the US portions. As the story goes (this means I don't know exactly what's true), they ran out of money, and rather then send Catalina back to Columbia, they enrolled her in an acting school so she could maintain a student visa while they regrouped and continued shooting.

Anyone with experience with visas would know this is highly illegal, but surprisingly shrewd, and it could also explain why she seemed so disinterested in her studies.

I have another contact who is a professor in the NYU grad program (I just learned that she was apparently featured occasionally on the "Film School" show). Anyway, the Director was in the grad program at NYU and she saw his original short "The Mule" that lead to the funding for "Maria Full of Grace". She would know more of the inside story, so I'll have to ask her about it sometime.