PDA

View Full Version : Directing a rap video/ concert footage

Double_IT
01-06-2005, 05:48 PM
A rapper who is about to get signed with a major lable wants us to do a video for him, as well as shoot a concert. I read the posts on here about directing videos and I was hoping for any more info you all may have. Anyone here do a rap video? Or shoot a concert? We plan on having 4 cams for the live event, besides that im not sure. This wont be happening in the begining of Feb. so there is some time. We might even push back the video part until later, and just do the concert footage. So im just hoping for some more info!

Double_IT
01-06-2005, 05:49 PM
I know of this book
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764536761/qid=1096482422/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-9914233-2887001?v=glance&s=books

But I dont know if that would really help, and of course watching lots of videes..

Peabody
01-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Spose at the end of a rap video shoot,---you can say "that's a rap. Er,---wrap?" :-/
Sorry.

hinsonfilms
01-08-2005, 08:39 AM
A good DVD for you to get is "Hype Willams, The Videos Vol. 1". It's a pretty good dvd and it lets you see the artistic side of Music Videos and how Hype Willams started out. Wih Videos from R. Kelly, Jay Z etc... you'll enjoy it. He narrates the whole video and goes through each music video to tell you what he did and why he did it. Good Luck!

Here's the link.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000067G16/qid=1105202018/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-2355566-0595022?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Double_IT
01-08-2005, 05:29 PM
K thanks for that link hinsonfilms... although the Amazon reviews arent that great I think ill stil check it out. Netflix doesnt ahve it >:(

BLUESPIDER
01-08-2005, 10:40 PM
I personally think Hype Williams is overated. There's really nothing creative about Hype's video. its just a bunch of shots with diffrent lenses,slowmo, some fine chick, dissovles, fast cuts. If I were to ever do a music video, I'll do it John Landis style "Thriller". White Strips also dose some pretty creative videos. I used to do rap videos till some dumb mutha sucker stole one of our shotgun mics. My advice, just bring to life what they want and do it the best you can. Peace!

Cheesesailor77
01-08-2005, 11:33 PM
well, even if that is true, that's the set standard for hip hop videos in general, and if Double could pull it of i could garantee he'd have a happy client.

I havnt seen the dvd, but if the commentaries are informative it siounds like good advice to me. Really, just watch video, a lot, and pay as much attention to tech stuff as u possibly can, the lighting, the camera...

as far lights, it wont hurt to take a trip to the hardware store and pick up some stuff. Then, just practice different set ups on ur free time, see what looks like it has potential and what doesnt, try to copy the videos as much as possible.

ok, thats all i got sry ;D

robeditor2003
01-09-2005, 03:31 AM
Double.

I sent an Pm to you about the RAp Videos

Rob

JPalisade
01-13-2005, 11:40 AM
When doing the music video I would stress that the rapper(s) do a good performance. Have them rehearse, rehearse, rehearse, you get the point. Make sure everyone is moving to the beat!!!!!!

Extras can ruin the video by staring into the camera or just not having the right vibe.

Make sure that they know the treatment if one is proposed - don't let them tell you things are under control - cause they will. As mentioned earlier go with there ideas.

Take the same steps you would do in any production in terms of planning. Do not overdo the treatment - the final product will only be about 4 minutes. With performances and back story (if any) you will have more than enough footage. Heck copy someone elses video. Everyone wants to be original but if you do not know how to approach a project you have to start somewhere. If making music videos becomes an interest to pursue - then originallity will come.

As far as watching videos that is the best homework. Not just watching the videos but finding low budget but interesting shots you can pull off - you can find these types of shots anywhere. For example, shooting a subject in a mirror and then spinning it towards the subject.

In post decent footage will get you a good video - especially if the talent followed the flow of the beat. You will be able to cut to the action and punch lines of the track. If the talent didn't do a great job then you will more than likely want to cut to the beat - or bring it into after effects and get creative.

In my opinion a good video shouldn't need effects - post effects reveal novice work. I do not mean chroma screens and story boarded animations - but the post effects meant to bring interest to a boring video.

I'll put my money on this: if the performnce of the artist is good they will carry the video - (for a good performance to work the song must be decent - bad song - good luck.) I don't care how or with what you shoot the video. A good performance will entertain.

Hip-Hop Music Video Basics 101

Unix
02-07-2005, 06:59 PM
for shooting a live event, especially a concert I guess it would be better to have a console and a bunch of monitors and "direct" all the camera operators, good Lighting will be essential, once the images are on tape there ain't much u can do, try to get the audio from the mixing console and not from the camera mics.

uhrgl
02-10-2005, 10:15 AM
For the video, first thing is come up with a concept, then do as much preproduction as possible. *Try to fill out a crew -- the more hands the better. *As the director, you really want to focus on your idea, instead of playing with a busted lightstand or any other nonsense.

It's nice to have gear like cranes, steadi-cams, dollies, but it's not necessary. *You can up the production quality by shooting at multiple locations, using wardrobe changes, and casting hot women.

If you're doing any special effects or want a unique look, test test test.

Palm Pictures has a director's line of DVDs that is pretty sweet: Spike Jonez, Michel Gondry, and Chris Cunningham. *I've been devouring this site too: http://www.markromanek.com/videos.html

Romanek has some of his treatments available so you can see how he delivers his concepts to screen.

For a live shoot, ideally you want a camera trained on every member of the band, another camera on a crane by the mixing board to get a wide shot of the stage and some movement (you can use a tripod, but the wide shot gets boring real quick). *You'll definitely want the DAT recording of the show or whatever they're recording at the mix, and it's helpful to speak to someone at the venue about the lighting in advance. *For the cams, come up with your scene file setting in advance and make sure all the cameras have the same look (WB them together too) -- and have some strategy for the timecode to make the editing easier.