PDA

View Full Version : The 'perfect' project

MarekV
07-06-2010, 12:14 PM
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1506/bestsettingsv11.png

Ok, I want to talk about this project little bit ... BUT first ...

With my settings you will not shoot some super-high bit-rate video! :violin:
My settings are just about the stability and quality ... !

I have also one important message for you ...
I did all my tests also by shooting the most detailed and problematic scenes like grass!

So my conclusion about this .. I can guarantee to you that you GH1 will fail (stop or freeze) recording if you shoot a grass with bit-rate over +- 23-24mbit/s at FHD/SH! (AVCHD)

Yes, you can achieve much more higher bit-rate with AVCHD but again I can guarantee to you that if you shoot high detailed sceneries (like grass) you GH1 will FAIL at AVCHD + if you add some movement to the camera it will fail even fasted :engel017: !

Next thing .. You canīt achieve a totally mud-free footage without writing errors and freezing camera!! If you shoot a high detailed scene you camera will stop recording!! :embarasse

Of course the goal of this project is to avoid all the errors, freezing, stop recording at all time!!!
.. Settings that never fail at any moment or any scene ..

These settings are on top of AVCHD full stability (recording, playback)!
Of course donīt expect some totally amazing quality!

If you want to shoot perfect quality video just change it to MJPEG mode ..
I did small research about MJPEG by myself but I must say now that the Ipowellīs (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/member.php?u=59441) settings are the best MJPEG 4:2:2 stable settings of today!! You canīt get any better stable results.. so I decide to use his amazing settings for MJPEG with max. bit-rate of +- 34mbit/s .. (thx bro' for your MJPEG settings and research ;))

I can guarantee that with this settings your GH1 canīt fail! (AVCHD at +- 23mbit/s and MJPEG at 34mbit/s)
Donīt expect mud-free footage! Its 23mbit/s!
But 23mbit/s is top limit of AVCHD stability on GH1!

There is also checked a 30 min. removal .. (only for PAL users as I said)
Settings are tested with SandDisk 30MB/s Edition ... and with Kit-Lens 14-140mm.. I donīt see a reason for testing on other lenses now (like my 20mm one) .. But fully working only on tested kit-lens :-P ;-)

Also I want to point out that my settings are for 50i .. not native patch.. There can be problems if you tick a native 25p patch!

btw. The good thing also is .. That my settings are not for the best quality so you can have more recording-time available ;)
Also guys... The factory settings are with bit-rate about 17-18 mbit/s so if this is 23mbit/s it is still very good improvement with keeping the stability at the top! ;-)

------------------------------------------------
DOWNLOAD
*This is fixed version!
- Stability problem improved
- New AVCHD compression values
- Quality little bit lowered (you may see 23mbit/s now)
*This is fixed version 2!
- There was ticked VERSION INCREMENT - fixed

These settings files can be used to import preset patches into the 'A' button in PTool 3.40d.
Extract the INI file from the ZIP file into your PTool folder and it will be loaded along with the firmware. Check a version increment or prevent version compare and save the firmware and load it in to GH1 .. after flashing the firmware just format the memory card in camera...! everything should work fine ... :-)

If you have any problems just send me a message or feel free to ask me here in this thread.. ;-)

Mark

Adventsam
07-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Are they ready, very interested to try?

MarekV
07-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Settings will be available today .. sometime during the day ... I hope in next 5 hours .. :happy: .. stay tuned! :Drogar-Shock(DBG):

MR Fanny
07-09-2010, 05:15 AM
what is this exactly? I hope your not planning to host modified firmware for download. You know it is illegal to do so hence the reason why ptools was created so you can do it at your own risk. Something tester pointed out very early on.

bumkicho
07-09-2010, 05:28 AM
Like he said, I am sure it is his setting that he is going to share not his modified firmware.

what is this exactly? I hope your not planning to host modified firmware for download. You know it is illegal to do so hence the reason why ptools was created so you can do it at your own risk. Something tester pointed out very early on.

MarekV
07-09-2010, 05:32 AM
Of course not! :-)

MR Fanny
07-09-2010, 05:33 AM
good man =)

MarekV
07-09-2010, 05:39 AM
So guys! Check out the first post now! :-)

MUST HAVE UPDATE IS OUT! STABILITY PROBLEM IMPROVED! .. SEE FIRST POST!

rambooc1
07-11-2010, 01:57 PM
JUST BE AWARE THAT THIS INI FILE HAS A VERSION 58 INCREMENT TICKED ..so if you are only using VERSION COMPARE (like i am) you need to untick the version increment box and tick the version compare box.

Nice work MarekV, this almost caught me out so i thought best to bring it to everyone's attention.

MarekV, might also be worth pointing out that this is for 50i and not 25pN (no mention in your perfect project)

Cheers

reggietelly
07-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Hi there

with all the other posts this is the first one I have come across that really solves the issue that as great a tool as PTool is it is just way too complicated for the average user. I am no noob but I have followed the development for a while now and to be honest I am more confused than I was at the start. So to have a preset that pretty much offers me exactly what I want is gold. I am not after the highest quality, just a setting that improves the camera reliably.

However I am on a Mac and for some reason the wined version of PTool (either the original exe or the downloadable PTool_Mac) has the A,B,C, etc buttons, but they don't seem to work. Either that or I am missing something. Also I can't see how I can use this ini file on a mac system.

Any Mac users out there successfully used this setting.

all the best

Richard

MarekV
07-12-2010, 12:03 AM
JUST BE AWARE THAT THIS INI FILE HAS A VERSION 58 INCREMENT TICKED ..
MarekV, might also be worth pointing out that this is for 50i and not 25pN (no mention in your perfect project)

Cheers
Oh thanks!!! I forgot about it! .. now fixed version is out!... :Drogar-SunGlass(DBG:2vrolijk_08:
And also I forgot about to point out the native patch... also 'fixed' ;-)

i thought best to bring it to everyone's attention.

Me too! But it is really hard! .. I know that this can be helpful for many peoples ..! But they must know about it ..

Also I can't see how I can use this ini file on a mac system.

Richard

I donīt have a Mac so I canīt help you with this ... but I hope someone with Mac will help you soon with this .. :-)

Thanks for the interest guys! And thanks for the compliments! :)

reggietelly
07-12-2010, 02:44 AM
Do you need the speedy card for AVCHD recording or do you recommend because of the MJPG settings. Have you seen the prices of class 10 cards. They are mental! I have a class 6 SanDisk Extreme III 16 GB. It says 30MB/s EDITION on it. Will this do? I know that's the one you suggest but you don't mention which class the card is.

MarekV
07-12-2010, 02:48 AM
@reggietelly:

Well ... Iīm recommending this card because of the MJPEG ..
But .. You should have a SanDisk 30MB/s Edition .. but .. you should be ok with SanDisk Extreme III ... but .. if you use this card I canīt guarantee no problem recording! ..

reggietelly
07-12-2010, 02:53 AM
@reggietelly:

Well ... Iīm recommending this card because of the MJPEG ..
But .. You should have a SanDisk 30MB/s Edition .. but .. you should be ok with SanDisk Extreme III ... but .. if you use this card I canīt guarantee no problem recording! ..

Sorry to be a complete twat but, can you send a link to the card you have used. It gets confusing as I have a Sandisk 30MB/s edition card it's just named differently. Why might this card fail over the plain Sandisk one you describe in your post?

All the best

MarekV
07-12-2010, 03:19 AM
Iīm using exactly this one:

http://i01.twenga.com/photo/sdhc-memory-card/sandisk-extreme-30mb-s-edition-p_592641vb.png

reggietelly
07-12-2010, 03:43 AM
Very helpful thanks for the reply

MarekV
07-12-2010, 03:51 AM
No problem! :) If you need anything just ask me here .. :)

adys
07-12-2010, 04:02 AM
Thanks, but I don't understand why bother to hack the camera with this setting.

Its almost as the original values.

Are you sure this is the maximum bit rate for AVCHD? with Class 10 card?

MarekV
07-12-2010, 04:09 AM
Are you sure this is the maximum bit rate for AVCHD? with Class 10 card?
Unfortunately yes ... I did almost 60 tests .. and yes .. this is a top for stable recording for AVCHD! From my observations every values with bit-rate over 24-25mbit/s must sometimes freez you camera in high-detailed scene! .. but! Its lens and filming mode depending!!

Are you sure that is almost as the original values?!

16000000 vs. 25300000
18000000 vs. 25500000

rambooc1
07-12-2010, 05:44 AM
What Marek is saying, is that these are stable settings for the Kit lens in Intelligent Auto Mode without Native 25pN selected. The maximum bitrate has been lifted to around 25mbps

MarekV
07-12-2010, 05:52 AM
... also working with Lumix G 20mm F1.7 lens and I tested it in all shooting modes -> working
.. yes, without Native 25pN selected.

noirist
07-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Can you please post your .ini file directly (ie., not in a zip file)? Thank you!

MarekV
07-12-2010, 06:08 AM
Can you please post your .ini file directly (ie., not in a zip file)? Thank you!

well... the DVXUSER upload system canīt handle .INI extension for me ... :badputer:
But download it from my server here (http://the-bigbangtheory.cz/wp-content/seta.ini).

shaveblog
07-12-2010, 06:14 AM
I'm on Mac and the prefab zipped Wine Ptool works perfectly for me (thank you, whoever did that). What you need to do is open the Perfect Tool .ini file, sena.ini I believe, as a text file with any simple text editor like /Applications/Text Edit.app, and then you can copy the settings over to Ptool manually. Opened as a text file, sena.ini is just a simple list of the applied settings.

FWIW I think the Perfect Project is a good stab at simplifying the process for those of us who want better quality without really hanging it out there and risking instability, but it should be noted that AVCHD shooters can up the bit rate more aggressively and still remain in safe territory if they leave auto-iso and auto-everything else off, use the 20mm pancake or better yet an adapted manual lens, and simple shoot manually. This lowers the data chatter and gives you some more room to safely goose bit rate. With manual glass and a Class 10 Transcend card I can shoot 35Mb AVCHD till the card runs out and keep in-camera playback as well. Not a hiccup yet.

Right now the focus is on high bit rate MPEG but in my gut I believe the real breakthrough for ultimate IQ with the cameras will be high bit rate AVCHD. It's a less well understood codec wrapper but I think it offers greater potential.

Hi there

with all the other posts this is the first one I have come across that really solves the issue that as great a tool as PTool is it is just way too complicated for the average user. I am no noob but I have followed the development for a while now and to be honest I am more confused than I was at the start. So to have a preset that pretty much offers me exactly what I want is gold. I am not after the highest quality, just a setting that improves the camera reliably.

However I am on a Mac and for some reason the wined version of PTool (either the original exe or the downloadable PTool_Mac) has the A,B,C, etc buttons, but they don't seem to work. Either that or I am missing something. Also I can't see how I can use this ini file on a mac system.

all the best

Richard

adys
07-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Unfortunately yes ... I did almost 60 tests .. and yes .. this is a top for stable recording for AVCHD! From my observations every values with bit-rate over 24-25mbit/s must sometimes freez you camera in high-detailed scene! .. but! Its lens and filming mode depending!!

Are you sure that is almost as the original values?!

16000000 vs. 25300000
18000000 vs. 25500000

compare to 60000000 its almost the origianl :)

I had no problems with C settings, even not with the chart. Class 10 card, but no native 25.

Intelligent Auto Mode?
No thank you :)

abolit
07-12-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm not sure if 24 mbit/s is worth hacking. It would be even more safe if one leaves the original firmware untouched. If there's some way to get 35-40 mbit/s 100% safe - it would be a different story. I can speak for myself - I don't have any problems dealing with some occasional write card errors and benefit from a high quality video. In fact, I'm not going to film grass with nothing on it or doing some crazy panning just to bring the camera to its limits

MarekV
07-12-2010, 08:37 AM
@abolit:

So tell me ... what settings you are using? post the INI file here... or just write the AVCHD values here... :)

abolit
07-12-2010, 09:21 AM
MarekV,

I'm currently using 'C' (50/52/60 no native 24) setting with Sandisk 16 Extreme (30mgb/s) SD card.
No problems so far in real live filming.
I didn't get a chance to "play" with MJPEG though

MarekV
07-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Are you able to play-back AVCHD video in camera? :-)

rambooc1
07-12-2010, 02:01 PM
MarekV,

I'm currently using 'C' (50/52/60 no native 24) setting with Sandisk 16 Extreme (30mgb/s) SD card.
No problems so far in real live filming.
I didn't get a chance to "play" with MJPEG though

Abolit, they are the same settings and results i'm using/gettin with class 6 cards and manual lenses, even Pappas chart won't fail. Videos and screenshots here.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2045075&postcount=24

Cheers

abolit
07-12-2010, 06:07 PM
@MarekV
Yes, I'm able to playback AVCHD in camera.

powervideo
07-14-2010, 05:39 AM
I'm in the middle of shooting a new music video for broadcast on the 50/52/60 settings and I've had no lockup. I don't have audio (don't know what's causing that). I also have 25Pn checked ON ans am using Contax primes. The camera is in total manual mode.

I'm shooting 720P for slomo and 1080 AVCHD on the Sandisk Class 10 card. I work with high-end HPX2700 cameras and the results on this GH1 video have been extraordinary. It will posted on Vimeo next week.

rambooc1
07-14-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm shooting 720P for slomo and 1080 AVCHD on the Sandisk Class 10 card. I work with high-end HPX2700 cameras and the results on this GH1 video have been extraordinary. It will posted on Vimeo next week.

Glad finally sorted it out Pete, looking forward to seeing what you do with it. How are you nailing focus??

R

powervideo
07-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Still having hassles upgrading to new firmware, but the current results are looking good. I just bought a Sony LMD-940W 9" HDSDI/HDMI monitor which is good to check focus but only on playback. I use the focus assist on the GH1 LCD just before I pull the trigger. I've been lucky! Sometimes I miss the mark! I also have a Chrosziel follow focus but I haven't been using it on this job.

crunchy
07-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Of course the goal of this project is to avoid all the errors, freezing, stop recording at all time!!!
.. Settings that never fail at any moment or any scene ..

MarekV, can you check the following chart (Crunchy chart) on a sun light & tripod? On my Transcend 16GB class 10 card and your "perfect" settings, the camera freezes immediately! I would like to see what is the reason: card speed or some inner "run of time" problems. If you have Visio (Microsoft) on your PC, print vsd file, otherwise pdf file. All settings as contrast, sharpness, etc. were 0.

reggietelly
07-20-2010, 01:00 AM
I'm over the moon! After much deliberation I bit the bullet and hacked my GH1. Basically it's a brand new camera in my opinion. It's not perfect and I chose the Perfect Project settings because I wanted 720p 50 reliability. In the short time I have had with it I can say categorically that with a 30mb/s card I could play back in camera and was recording with the kit 14-140 lens and the 20mm pancake. I shot at 100 fps and 200 fps. ISO, focus, aperture were all manual.

The footage is a million miles away from the GH1 out of the box. Shooting 200fps with crazy camera work following my son and a ball is almost perfect. There is slight aliasing here and there but the muddiness has disappeared. In areas I do see the compression but only when the frame is frozen. In playback it's hard to tell. But the detail is really good. The old picture had a sort of "median" blur effect on it, skin, brick walls, etc, would lose detail. Now detail is amazing and it's still only 720p. And it holds up surprising well when I give it a savage grade.

There is a compression noise in areas of flat colour and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how I can lose this. The files are 9.7MB/sec average when I bring into FCP with Pro Res LT. I definitely think the camera could handle more, but I guess reliability is key. If I wanted to really hit the threshold of AVCHD recording on a good card can I go higher than these settings?

Thanks to all involved in this amazing venture. It really is quite something.

all the best

Richard

powervideo
07-20-2010, 01:27 AM
200fps????? You mean 200th of a second.

reggietelly
07-20-2010, 02:32 AM
200fps????? You mean 200th of a second.

oops yes.

Energy80s
07-20-2010, 10:20 AM
*This is fixed version!
- Stability problem improved
- New AVCHD compression values
- Quality little bit lowered (you may see 23mbit/s now)
*This is fixed version 2!
- There was ticked VERSION INCREMENT - fixed

These settings files can be used to import preset patches into the 'A' button in PTool 3.40d.
Extract the INI file from the ZIP file into your PTool folder and it will be loaded along with the firmware. Check a version increment or prevent version compare and save the firmware and load it in to GH1 .. after flashing the firmware just format the memory card in camera...! everything should work fine ... :-)

If you have any problems just send me a message or feel free to ask me here in this thread.. ;-)

Mark

Hi Mark,

Tried to load your firmware hack into ptool but it doesn't seem to do anything. Whenever I click the "A" button nothing changes on screen, so I don't know if it has actually loaded the changes or not. I have tried to use ptool on various PCs but don't seem to get any of the ABCDE buttons to actually do anything. Is it "invisably" adding settings or should you see the new values displayed in ptool?

I know that Car3o was talking about making a video tutorial, but that hasn't happened so I am trying to go ahead myself and get a version of the firmware ready for flashing. Like yourself, I am not interested in mega-bitrates, just something that will get rid of most of the mud in 1080 which is currently unacceptable. I shoot mainly landscape GV's and locked-offs so would be more suseptible to the camera locking up on the higher bitrate options - I also only have Class 6 SD cards - so your settings looked like the best to try.

Hope you can help.

(tried sending you a PM but the forum keeps logging me out)

reggietelly
07-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi Mark,

Tried to load your firmware hack into ptool but it doesn't seem to do anything. Whenever I click the "A" button nothing changes on screen, so I don't know if it has actually loaded the changes or not. I have tried to use ptool on various PCs but don't seem to get any of the ABCDE buttons to actually do anything. Is it "invisably" adding settings or should you see the new values displayed in ptool?

I know that Car3o was talking about making a video tutorial, but that hasn't happened so I am trying to go ahead myself and get a version of the firmware ready for flashing. Like yourself, I am not interested in mega-bitrates, just something that will get rid of most of the mud in 1080 which is currently unacceptable. I shoot mainly landscape GV's and locked-offs so would be more suseptible to the camera locking up on the higher bitrate options - I also only have Class 6 SD cards - so your settings looked like the best to try.

Hope you can help.

(tried sending you a PM but the forum keeps logging me out)

Hi there,

I was pretty confused by PTool to start but it is actually really rather simple. The file you download seta.ini needs to be in the same folder. It makes the A button at the bottom of the PTool window green. If it is green and you press it, it then sets all the setting for you. However there is also another way to do it, and that is to open the seta.ini in a text program.

And here's what's inside the seta.ini file

[Information]
Comment=The 'PERFECT' Settings project <br>v. 1.2<br><br>More informations on www.dvxuser.com in selected <br>thread.
SD_Card=SanDisk ExtremeÆ SDHCô 30MB/s
Camera=GH1 v1.32
[Settings]
30min limit removal=Checked
720p30 420->422 color sampling=Checked
E1 Quality=150
E1 Table=86
E2 Quality=130
E2 Table=56
E3 Quality=115
E3 Table=26
E4 Quality=100
E4 Table=4
Video Bitrate FHD/SH=25300000
Overall Bitrate=25500000
Limiting Bitrate=26200000

It is simply then a case of going to each setting and applying as per the text above. This is in fact how I did it and it worked very well.

Use a freshly formatted card, no files on it, and a fully charged battery.

Remember if you are doing this for the first time, you need to version increment up 1. Also by ticking Prevent Version Compare you disable the firmwares need to keep have a higher number each time you set it. If you want to try other combinations then after you have done the first firmware hack, you can simply tick, prevent version compare, and the camera only sees firmware 0.0

Hope this helps

Energy80s
07-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Hi there,

I was pretty confused by PTool to start but it is actually really rather simple. The file you download seta.ini needs to be in the same folder. It makes the A button at the bottom of the PTool window green. If it is green and you press it, it then sets all the setting for you.

Yes, I did this but there is absolutely no indication in ptool that anything has actually happened. So I don't know if the new firmware settings have been loaded or not and I'm not willing to load unknown firmware into my GH1 in the off chance that it is actually OK. So I'll maybve go down the manual route and type each setting in individually.

svecher
07-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Yes, I did this but there is absolutely no indication in ptool that anything has actually happened.
This is not true. A small "settings loaded" window is displayed for a second. More importantly, settings and values are loaded - checkboxes are checked and values are populated.

Lpowell
07-21-2010, 10:00 AM
...there is absolutely no indication in ptool that anything has actually happened.
It's definitely a wise precaution to manually verify every PTool patch setting after activating a downloaded settings file. Each of these settings files activates or deactivates every single patch in PTool, not simply the patches that are checked.

There is currently no way for the author of a settings file to mark any individual setting as unchanged. As a result, each settings file will revise all of the patches, both MJPEG and AVCHD, and there is no way to create a settings file that restricts itself to altering a subset of the complete list of available patches.

Energy80s
07-21-2010, 10:02 AM
You are right. After many tries, I have managed to get the settings loaded - trust me, they didn't load before, there were no ticks against any boxes, and no increase in the listed video bitrates. The Version Increment and Prevent Version Compare still aren't ticked, so I've ticked them both and have entered a 1 in the version increment box ( this changes the firmware from 0x0132 to 0x0133). I've also ticked the 3rd Party Battery box as this doesn't appear to have been checked either. The 30m removal was checked so have left that alone. And I have saved out the file as GH1__133.bin - hopefully that will do it. I am off work tomorrw so will try it out and I'll let you know what happens.

svecher
07-21-2010, 10:14 AM
There is currently no way for the author of a settings file to mark any individual setting as unchanged. As a result, each settings file will revise all of the patches, both MJPEG and AVCHD, and there is no way to create a settings file that restricts itself to altering a subset of the complete list of available patches.
I'm not sure I follow you here. Setting file only stores changes. For example, the following file:

[Information]
Comment=Test 1-2
SD_Card=Any
Camera=GH1 v1.32
[Settings]
Prevent version compare=Checked
Will cause only Prevent version compare patch to be checked in Ptool, nothing else.

Lpowell
07-21-2010, 11:46 AM
For example, the following file:

[Information]
Comment=Test 1-2
SD_Card=Any
Camera=GH1 v1.32
[Settings]
Prevent version compare=Checked
Will cause only Prevent version compare patch to be checked in Ptool, nothing else.
Unfortunately, that's not all it will do. In addition to activating its checked patches, each settings file will force all of its unchecked patches to be deactivated as well.

svecher
07-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Unfortunately, that's not all it will do. In addition to activating its checked patches, each settings file will force all of its unchecked patches to be deactivated as well.
Oh, so in "there is currently no way for the author of a settings file to mark any individual setting as unchanged." by unchanged you mean unchanged from current user selection?

Lpowell
07-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Oh, so in "there is currently no way for the author of a settings file to mark any individual setting as unchanged." by unchanged you mean unchanged from current user selection?
Yes, that's correct. As a result, there is no way I can supply a settings file for my 35Mbps MJPEG In-Camera Playback patch that only sets the MJPEG patches in PTools 3.40d. If you apply this settings file as is, it will deactivate any AVCHD patches you may have checked in advance, and you will need to go back and manually check them again by hand.

Link to 35Mbps MJPEG In-Camera Playback patch:
http://dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2039780&postcount=5

svecher
07-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Yes, that's correct. As a result, there is no way I can supply a settings file for my 35Mbps MJPEG In-Camera Playback patch that only sets the MJPEG patches in PTools 3.40d. If you apply this settings file as is, it will deactivate any AVCHD patches you may have checked in advance, and you will need to go back and manually check them again by hand.
Well, this is a "hack project" after all and we should not attempt to remove all the fun :) The first lesson a Gx1 hackers must learn is how to copy-paste information from two text files into one. If someone can't do that perhaps they should not be hacking their Gx1 ;)

Energy80s
07-22-2010, 03:21 PM
OK, I promised I would report back with my findings. I was able to patch the firmware without any problems - original fw was 1.2, now it reads 0.0 - so I went out filming on the west coast of Ireland (Sligo) to see how it would cope. No problems with lock-ups on either recording or playback. A variety of different shots were filmed including lakeside, countryside, a waterfall and even W.B. Yates grave - mostly taken with a tripod and using the kit lens at various focal lengths. I also use a polariser to deepen skys & give me almost 2 stops of ND, and a half black promist to take the hard digital edge of the images.

When I got home, I played back both in camera onto my Panasonic 32" LCD 720p TV and on my Dell PC with a 22" 1080p LCD monitor. Results were basically the same. There is a dramatic improvement compared to the original Panasonic firmware, but it can still be caught out if there is a lot of movement in part of the frame - like a river or reeds blowing in the wind - this was enough to mud out both foreground and background details (although the moving subject seemed to be rendered OK).

So although this "lower" high bitrate hack seems perfectly safe to use with Class 6 cards, it probably isn't high enough to eradicate the mud issue in more complicated scenes. Maybe something around the 30Mbps would do it - but that's for another day.

MarekV
07-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Well, this is a "hack project" after all and we should not attempt to remove all the fun :) The first lesson a Gx1 hackers must learn is how to copy-paste information from two text files into one. If someone can't do that perhaps they should not be hacking their Gx1 ;)

This is poited to me? I think yes... so "thank you" dude .. Thank you!!!!?? @

rambooc1
07-22-2010, 09:05 PM
I think what svecher is saying is you can open the "ini" settings files and edit them with notepad. Copy and paste lines etc. They are just txt files.

R

svecher
07-23-2010, 11:23 AM
This is poited to me? I think yes... so "thank you" dude .. Thank you!!!!?? @
Forum warrior tip #1: to see who the post is addressed to check for presence of quote block, which usually starts with "Originally posted by [name]" sentence. If there is no quote block, the post is probably addressed to the whole forum. ;)

Yosarian
07-24-2010, 01:06 AM
MarekV,

Thanks for your work sorting out reliability issues.

I am trying to find a set up that gets the most out of the GH-1 - least mud / near perfect reliability.

I am thinking that shooting with the "C" settings in AVCHD for 1080 24P/60i and using your settings for MJPEG 720 30P may be the best overall solution.

720 60P would be unavailable - but the other resolutions would be as sharp as possible consistent with reliability.

Energy80s
07-25-2010, 01:40 AM
After having tried Marek's settings (as posted earlier) I would like to up the bitrate a bit to see if I can get clean 1080p on detailed scenes which the 25mbps isn't quite capable of. I keep hearing of these "B" and "C" settings but don't see any list of just what bitrates they are. Could someone post here the figures for the B & C settings so that I can copy them into ptool in the same way as Marek did for his "A" settings ...

30min limit removal=Checked
720p30 420->422 color sampling=Checked
E1 Quality=150
E1 Table=86
E2 Quality=130
E2 Table=56
E3 Quality=115
E3 Table=26
E4 Quality=100
E4 Table=4
Video Bitrate FHD/SH=25300000
Overall Bitrate=25500000
Limiting Bitrate=26200000

I assume it's just the Video Bitrate / Overall Bitrate / Limiting Bitrate that I need to change and enter into the boxes in ptool, then save out as a seperate .bin file and load into the GH1?

Energy80s
07-25-2010, 01:45 AM
Oh, meant to say that the video footage I shot on Thursday in online at Vimeo now at ... http://vimeo.com/13598629

There are fewer artifacts in the original file than on this Vimeo re-encode, but they are still noticable on the scenes with running / moving water, hence the need to up the bitrate a bit more.

one dog
07-25-2010, 11:35 AM
The B and C settings are already loaded into Ptool, as near as I can tell.

Energy80s
07-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Well they don't work for me. As posted earlier, when I click on the ABCDE buttons nothing happens in ptool. But when I added Marek's .ini file it will load on the A button. All I want are the figures to type into the 3 boxes for AVCHD bitrates.

zigizigi
07-25-2010, 04:21 PM
After having tried Marek's settings (as posted earlier) I would like to up the bitrate a bit to see if I can get clean 1080p on detailed scenes which the 25mbps isn't quite capable of. I keep hearing of these "B" and "C" settings but don't see any list of just what bitrates they are. Could someone post here the figures for the B & C settings so that I can copy them into ptool in the same way as Marek did for his "A" settings ...

Those a,b,c settings have nothing to do with ABCD buttons. That's quite misleading.

ABCD buttons are for the Ptool settings saved beforehand. These are stored in seta.ini, setb.ini, setc.ini etc in Ptool folder.

If you click on any of the Video Bitrate lines under AVCHD compression section you will have a popup help window that has a), b) and c) suggested bitrate values. THIS is what people refer to when they speak of abc settings.

If you browse through Video Bitrate FHD/SH, Overall Bitrate and Limiting bitrate paying attention to the popup windows you will see that Vitaliy's suggested a,b and c settings are 22,24,26; 32,34,40 and 50,52,60 respectively. These are sort of basic reference points for the testers to start their experiments from.

I know, that's not very straightforward, that may take a while to figure out ;)

Energy80s
07-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Thanks very much Zigi, that makes a lot of sense, pity no-one has ever mentioned it before! Right, off to play ....

Colorlights
07-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Is there something like the Perfect Project for der GF1? Where can i find it?

yanakis
08-07-2010, 02:45 PM
well that would be very nice, people seems to be more into GH1 tha GF1.... :(

Beernardo
08-11-2010, 03:21 PM
I wanted to test how MarekV and Lpowell's hack settings work on skin tones, so I ran a couple of tests with a hacked GH1 and an unhacked GH1:

Out of camera: http://vimeo.com/14073785
With modified Levels: http://vimeo.com/14073831

pass:t35t

Properties: 1280x720
Aperture: 5.8
Shutter Speed: 40
Lens: 14-140mm
focal range: 140mm
I rendered the video at 29.97, that's why the MJPEG shows a little bit of motion blur (MJPEG records at true 30p)

I decided to run tests on skin tones because that's where I've been having trouble with original firmware, I soot weddings and when the couple is seating on their chairs, everything is very static, so you really notice the codec mudding all their faces, specially when it is a low light scene.

I see some improvement with the hack but not as much as I would like it to be, do you guys think this is the best the GH1 can do without taking the hack to a higher riskier bit rates?

Also, the unhacked camera seems to suffer more from vertical banding, I don't think this is related to the hack and more to the camera's sensor, am I right?

Another think I ask myself is why I see better lowlight performance on the AVCHD and not in the MJPEG mode as I've seen out there, for example: http://www.dvxuser.com/content/260-High-ISO-GH1-AVCHD-vs-MJPEG
(http://www.dvxuser.com/content/260-High-ISO-GH1-AVCHD-vs-MJPEG)

Lpowell
08-11-2010, 06:21 PM
I see some improvement with the hack but not as much as I would like it to be, do you guys think this is the best the GH1 can do without taking the hack to a higher riskier bit rates?

Also, the unhacked camera seems to suffer more from vertical banding, I don't think this is related to the hack and more to the camera's sensor, am I right?
The hacked samples look very good considering the moderately dim lighting conditions. (Notice the lack of fine detail in the woman's hair, due to its uniformly dark texture.) Due to banding issues and noise at high ISO settings, the GH1 is not at its best in low light. Also, the 14-140mm kit lens is not well suited to indoor lighting. For optimal bitrates in these locales, you need a lens that can deliver sharp focus at f2.8 or better.

It is possible to crank up the bitrate on the MJPEG encoder, which can partially compensate for the GH1's problems in low light. However, MJPEG videos recorded with bitrates much higher than 35Mbps will not play back properly in-camera, and recording failures may occur as well.

Beernardo
08-11-2010, 07:25 PM
The hacked samples look very good considering the moderately dim lighting conditions. (Notice the lack of fine detail in the woman's hair, due to its uniformly dark texture.) Due to banding issues and noise at high ISO settings, the GH1 is not at its best in low light. If you were able to increase the illumination, you'd probably see the bitrate go up.

It is possible to crank up the bitrate on the MJPEG encoder, which can partially compensate for the GH1's problems in low light. However, MJPEG videos recorded with bitrates much higher than 35Mbps will not play back properly in-camera, and recording failures may occur as well.

Thanks Lpowell. I still need to run some tests with optimum lighting conditions, I'll report back once I do this.

Any thoughts about the MJPEG being darker than AVCHD?

fabi8bit
08-15-2010, 02:35 AM
to open the ini file on mac: right click (or ctrl click) and choose open with... then use text edit. that's all.

Jrb
10-19-2010, 09:58 AM
ok quick dumbo question here from me...

1: is this the latest 'perfect' stable settings thread for PAL users? I notice that the post above mine was back in august :/

2: i have downloaded the seta.ini, loaded into ptools ok, but I am having to check the 'third party battery' box. Why didn't the OP update the ini file download to include this?

3: When I hack my GH1 for the first time do i only tick 'prevent version compare' and not both this and 'version increment' ?

I'm worried if I get this wrong there'll be no turning back :/

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Jrb

Lpowell
10-19-2010, 10:18 AM
...is this the latest 'perfect' stable settings thread for PAL users?
No, as you noticed, this is an older thread that bundled my first MJPEG patch with Marek's AVCHD patch that provided a small increase in bitrate.

In recent months, I developed the 40Mbps AVCHD High Reliability Patch and the 35Mbps MJPEG In-Camera Playback Patch. I've bundled these patches together in a downloadable PTool INI file that takes care of all PTool settings without need for manual patch tweaking. Complete info on these patches are found here:

http://dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=219132

MarekV
10-19-2010, 11:42 AM
No, as you noticed, this is an older thread that bundled my first MJPEG patch with Marek's AVCHD patch that provided a small increase in bitrate.
In recent months, I developed...

Exactly lpowell. Thanks! :-)

Jrb
10-19-2010, 04:16 PM

In recent months, I developed the 40Mbps AVCHD High Reliability Patch and the 35Mbps MJPEG In-Camera Playback Patch. I've bundled these patches together in a downloadable PTool INI file that takes care of all PTool settings without need for manual patch tweaking. Complete info on these patches are found here:

http://dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=219132

That's great thanks for letting me know