PDA

View Full Version : You WILL NOT make IT.

Voytek_Stitko
12-18-2004, 03:26 PM
How do you know that you WILL NOT BE A FILMMAKER?
I am asking cos I feel I cant do anything else than shooting. Even though sometimes it is so ... you know.

My friend just told me that he decided to give up after pre prod of his first feature. No money, no this or that...you know.

He told me: I ve got enough.

I did not know what to say. It is HARD sometimes. But come on...life it hard sometimes. Right? Not only filmmaking.

BLUESPIDER
12-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Once you give up, then you're done. I'm never giving up something I love doing, why? becuase I love doing it. It's a tough battle and I'm not quiting and neither should you! Keep the fightin. When your happy with what you do regaurdless if your movie never gets picked up then you've made it. I don't know what else to say.

cyclone
12-18-2004, 05:28 PM
You will not make it if you are in it for money or fame; if you happen to achieve either, more power to you. You WILL make it if you shoot because you are driven to shoot. You have no other choice, it comes from down deep inside, it is your expression. Consider yourself lucky if you are surrounded by people who support your passion.

Jim Brennan
12-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Forgive my cynicism:

Screw the poetics. You do it or you don't. If you quit, that's fine. But it's because something else was more important to you.

Shaw
12-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Well said! :D

Jaime Valles
12-18-2004, 09:27 PM
It's true. Most of us will not make it. If everybody was able to make it, we'd all be rock stars.

Jim said it best above. If you really want to do this, you'll find a way. Otherwise, you don't really want to do it, because you have other priorities that get in the way.

Good luck! ;)

Woodson
12-18-2004, 09:38 PM
I will definetly make it !

:D

Jim Brennan
12-18-2004, 09:44 PM
You are missing the point. It's not about "making it". It's about doing it.

Woodson
12-18-2004, 09:51 PM
I'm for sure doing it right now!

:D

Jim Brennan
12-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Ummm, are we still talking about filmmaking? ;D

mickeloaf
12-18-2004, 09:59 PM
Filmmaking is not easy for most of us. It takes time, practice, committment, and willingness to learn from our mistakes and do it again the right way.

Heck, i just got done doing a little project with the kids today, and felt frustrated by the whole ordeal. The lighting was wrong because of quickly changing weather, I didn't get the manual focusing correct during my pans, the kid actors were not listening to my instructions, finally at home I took a look at the footage and found that I set the sound settings wrong on the camera and lost audio for the hand held shots (because I didn't want to look like a dork in the park with a headset). Man, i felt like a failure just doing the easiest of things. But I'm going back and we are going to do it again, and fix those problems.

Woodson
12-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Well not for me , Filmmaking is not a career :P

Producing, Directing, Editing, DP, gafers, make up etc are careers.

Jaime Valles
12-19-2004, 10:26 AM
You are missing the point. *It's not about "making it". *It's about doing it.

Good point. I guess we should define "making it." In my opinion, it's earning a decent living by only making films. This means not having a day job to pay the bills. It doesn't mean Fame and Fortune. Very few ever achieve that.

stationhouse
12-19-2004, 01:36 PM
i'd be happy if i could be a blue collar filmmaker. work as a professor at a college or something and make a personal film every couple years.

Of course the only flip side is that i would like people to see it. That is the bigger trick.

I'm trying to concentrate on learning to do things inexpensively (ie free). How do i get the best performace out of a non actor? Bresson was famous for doing this. It has to be possible. How do i achieve higher production value? Right now i am making a film wtih a large Mummer's backdrop. The philadelphia mummer's parade is one of the oldest folk parades in teh us, if not THE oldest. They are allowing me to shoot with the band, put my actors in on their actual rehearsals, and at the parade. So i am getting 10,000 extras for free if it pans out.

I think if you concentrate on being a craftsman (or woman) that is your best option. If your skills are strong you can always make some extra money doing freelance shooting or editing.

Of course i say all of this but have been in a panic over this very issue for 10 years now. ha.

good luck to all.

www.stationhousefilm.com/thenyp

David Jimerson
12-19-2004, 02:56 PM
Do. Or do not. There is no try.

natob2
12-19-2004, 03:56 PM
I love hearing people define what "making it" means. I would assume that many would say it means what Jaime said, making a full-time living at it.

This past year I made the transition from being an amateur to a professional "filmmaker". Am I doing what I love? Absolutely. Do I feel like I've "made it"? Well sort of, some times more than others. I think its human nature to not ever be quite satisfied. We always want more. What is the next step? Look at people like Michael Jordon, he became the best, then he was like what the hell do I do now? I'll do baseball! I think this is a wonderful quality of human nature, but also a source of a lot of depression and sadness in this world.

I love the quote, "Success is a journey, not a destination."

Alexa
12-19-2004, 04:08 PM
I love the quote, "Success is a journey, not a destination."

Nice quote. Found it inspiring today. And this thread in general.

I don't have much to add, but I have a lot of respect for many of you. I would not advocate starving to death because of your passion or dream, but it certain does seem to take a lot of guts/gumption to develop yourself filmmaker..or many creative ventures.

"Making it?" if you are engaged in any creative venture ( or risky one?) then you have to define that for yourself for the stage of life you are living. If you do not, then media and society will easily make you feel like a failure.

I guess I can add that is brave and smart..to eventually oneday see that even though you love what you do..that you may not have the ingredients necessary to continue doing it forever.

Jim Brennan
12-20-2004, 07:42 AM
The idea of "making it" or "success" is a very personal thing. *The best definition of success I have ever heard comes from an author named Glenn Bland:

"Success is a progressive realization of a worthwhile dream or goal" *

But I also believe it needs to be clearly defined for you. *Otherwise, how will you know if you have "made it"? *We've all heard the cliched tales of the struggling artiste who finds what should be their success, yet is still not happy. *That's usually because they don't understand what they are really trying to achieve, or why they are trying to achieve it. *

I also like the phrase "set your goals in cement, but your plans in sand" *Again, understand what you want to achieve (the most important part of which is knowing WHY you want to achieve it) and hold fast to that goal. *But be flexible about how you get there. *There is no "one way" to do something.

I have always highly recommended to the people I care about that they study the basics of human success priciples. There are thousands of books by hundreds of authors on the subject. *Where you find the info is not as important as the fact that you look for it. *They are long-standing ideals that, when reduced to their lowest common denominator, are the same. *Maybe reading an inspirational biography or a book about success principles once a month will do as much (or more) for your dreams as reading about lighting. *You need to understand your craft, but you also need to understand the craftsman.

sojrn
12-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Filmmaking is not easy for most of us. *It takes time, practice, committment, and willingness to learn from our mistakes and do it again the right way. *

So very true! *Just because someone can pick up and point a camera, it doesn't make them an instant great filmmaker. *Practice, practice, practice. *Even the "pros" say they are constantly learning and practicing new techniques.

Woodson
12-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Practice is Key. Just like anything in life.

BLUESPIDER
12-20-2004, 10:52 PM
Patience! Practice! Skills! and being friends with a hollywood director. The odds will be pretty good.

J_Barnes
12-21-2004, 03:23 AM
The one thing I can add to this is that your priorities and ambitions will change throughout your life, and you have to be prepared for that. Part of growing up and being a dynamic human being is allowing yourself to rethink your goals and reorder your values as your life changes.

Right now, making movies may be the greatest thing in the world to you, something you can't ever imagine NOT doing, but there can be any number of things in the future that will cause you to rethink that assessment. You may find yourself following a more beneficial career path. You may find yourself in a family that becomes your passion. You may find yourself in a new form of creation that satisfies you more then filmmaking ever did. You may even find something in the future that reenforces your need to create film. You may find something in the future that draws you deeper into the film world.

I think it's important to allow yourself the potential for change. I don't mean that you shouldn't committ to something, just that you have to be prepared to allow yourself to rethink that committment in the future. If you lock yourself into the mentality of 'film for life', you create the potential for that creative outlet to be stiffled by any number of events in the future.

I think that is what causes burn-out more then anything else.

I've seen too many people pour their entire heart into a goal, and when that goal was not met in the terms of their self-imposed timelines, they quickly become bitter and resentful. It happens to writers, painters, actors, filmmakers, etc. People who pour their heart and soul into an idea of creation can become bitter at the form when their dreams are not realized.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you allow your passion to be dynamic and self-evident throughout your life, it will remain true. If your love of making film comes from the love of the process, then no hardship will immediately kill that love.

Jim Brennan
12-21-2004, 06:57 AM
Well said.

Shaw
12-21-2004, 08:57 AM
My opinion: Get a high paying job (that you enjoy) and shoot film on your free days. Best of both worlds!

taylormade
12-21-2004, 09:22 AM
I've taught film courses at the local college. Out of twenty students in an average class, maybe three or four have the talent and aptitude to go into video/film in some capacity. These are students supposedly interested in the subject, but you wouldn't know it from their work ethic. Here is an opportunity to have access to cameras, lights, sound grear and editing equipment, yet most of these "students" could care less. Most think they can pick up a camera and make a watchable product with little or no work at all.

The word these days is, "with digital technology and computer editors, anyone can make a film." It's bullshit. Stick twenty people in a room with computers with the latest word processing technology and tell them all to write a bestselling novel - or just a readable novel - and see what you get. You might as well give the same assignment to a room full of monkeys. The latest equipment sure helps make the job easier, but you have to have the talent to write, or shoot, or direct...

As to making it, I'd love to make a couple of million a year as an NFL player or maybe a pitcher for the Cards, but I don't have the ability or talent to come close. I can make films and have for many years. That's the talent I was given. Some people just don't have what it takes, but you should give it your all and see if that talent lurks in there somewhere. If you find it doesn't, move on.
RT

sojrn
12-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Well said, taylormade.

Anyone can point a camera, but how good will it be?
Anyone can write a script, but how good will it be?
Anyone...

natob2
12-21-2004, 11:16 AM
So true Taylor. *I couldn't agree more.

The fact of the matter is that this business is more competitive than just about any other out there. *Its competitive nature sets the bar high. *Many people who try to make it in this biz do not have the talent nor gumption to make their dreams reality.

The digital revolution is good and bad. *I agree with Taylor in that it has made things a bit too accessible to people who really should be doing something else with their life other than filmmaking.

Work hard, persist but be in touch with reality. *It saddens me to see people who have been doing this forever and haven't yet realized they simply don't have what it takes to make a living at it.

J.R. Hudson
12-22-2004, 01:26 PM
My goal is to be able to become a working filmmaker; make a living doing it. If that does not happen that is okay. As long as I try. The reality for me is my family. My wife; my son.

I just want to make films and anything that happens beyond actually making them is gravy. I want to make them for me because it is what I enjoy doing in my sparest of moments. If my work never goes beyond myself and DVxuser.com then so be it; it is a great hobby.

If anything, the technology has allowed me to actually start doing it instead of talking about it (pre dv days).

I'd like to get to career status as a filmmaker but have prior commitments and priorities to manage.

Just making films is fun enough.

Woodson
12-22-2004, 02:43 PM
My opinion: Get a high paying job (that you enjoy) and shoot film on your free days. Best of both worlds!

I don't enjoy anything else.. I only enjoy Directing.

Kidster
12-22-2004, 08:40 PM
John Hudson,

I hope you do make one soon, because I know your dvd "director" commentary will be hilarious!

JasonFox
12-23-2004, 02:10 PM
I don't enjoy anything else.. I only enjoy Directing.

Exactly. I only enjoy creating filmed productions, so I become an ad writer. Of course, I now deal with constant rejection by the Extremely Clueless. I've often wondered if I should have just gotten a marketing job (my degree) and been creative on the side. The answer is always an emphatic, "NO!" I would not have been exposed to the production side of things to such a degree as I have been had I gone that route. Now, ten years into the biz, I've discovered what I really need to do is direct. Will I consider myself as having "made it" if I become a successful spot shooter? Maybe. But I'll probably yearn to do a movie at that point.

The whole point of this rambling nonsense is this: if you love doing something there *is* a way to make a living at it. It may be via a path you've never considered, but the route is there.

Then again, to paraphrase Steve Dallas, you can always pimp.

Fox

Josh_Boelter
12-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Personally, I want to write and direct. I have a decent-paying job as a web designer that pays for the mortgage and a few toys. Filmmaking appeals to me because I love all the arts. And more than any other art form, film is a combination of so many creative art forms, from writing to acting to music to sound design, etc., etc., etc. To be in a position where I could be a writer/director collaborating in so many different creative processes while watching other artisitic folks such as production designers, composers, cinematographers, actors, etc., do their thing... well that would be truly awesome.

If that doesn't work out, maybe my backhand will improve and I can challenge Roger Federer for the Wimbledon title next year. ;)

FiveDollarsForSock
01-03-2005, 10:28 AM
"Until one is committed there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. *Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: The moment one definately commits oneself, then providence moves, too. *All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise occur. *A whole system of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor any number of unforseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no [person] could have dreamed would come [their] way. *Whatever you can do or dream you can do, begin it. *Boldness has genius, power, and magic. *Begin it now." *-- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

J.R. Hudson
01-03-2005, 10:42 AM
My all time favorite

Man in the Arena

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

Jim Brennan
01-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Teddy Roosevelt, no?

Jim Brennan
01-03-2005, 09:48 PM
One of my all time faves, paraphrased from fencing master Nick Evangelista.

THE FIRE

A young aspiring fencer once had the opportunity to bout before a reknowned maestro. When he was done, he told the esteemed man his hopes of greatness, and asked the maestro his opinion, hoping for approval. He hoped one day to be a champion, and if given the encouragement would dedicate his life to his art.

The maestro said merely: "you lack the fire"

The man was crushed. He sold his gear and went on with his life, putting his shattered dream behind him.

Years went by and the man went on to be very successful in his own business. He ran into the old maestro at a dinner party and introduced himself.

"You changed my Life" he told the old man "I was heartbroken when you gave me your opinion of my fencing, but because of what you said I went into business instead. BUt please, can you tell me how you knew I lacked the fire?"

"Oh, I hardly noticed your fencing. I tell everyone they lack the fire"

"What? That's outrageous!" THe man shouted "How could you have done that to me? I could have been a great champion, a master of the sword!"

The maestro shook his head

"No, you don't understand. If you had the fire, truly had it within you, you would have paid my words no heed. You would have stuck with fencing no matter what anyone told you. But you gave up the first time your dream was challenged. You answered your own question."

10s
01-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Jim, excellent!

... but it lacks a little fire ;)

Voytek_Stitko
01-18-2005, 01:05 PM
I love the story about "the fire".
That the way it is.

Barry_Green
01-19-2005, 11:55 AM
I haven't followed this discussion at all, but I did find this article, so it seems like a good place to post it:

http://www.indieclub.com/tacoboard/thread.asp?ident=9111620053174212&page=2

Edit: I just got caught up on the discussion...

Regarding "the fire": yes, that is completely true. *Unfortunately it's not all there is to it... I mean, did anyone happen to watch "American Idol" last night? *a lot of those people really had the fire... but, um, well, you know...

(tangential tie-in, it sure looks like they were using 24P video for the stand-up interviews)...

Neil Rowe
01-19-2005, 12:22 PM
..i watched. ill watch again tonight.. simon is just so funny. i love watcing him dump cold water on peoples "fire". cause they certainly need to have it done before they burn to death.

tuface
01-20-2005, 02:57 AM
The fact is, if this is what you're meant to do, quitting will not be an option for you. You'll do it because you have to, you'll do it because you can't live without it. And if people don't like what you do, you'll simply know they're wrong.
If there's one thing I've learned as a writer/musician/actor/director, it's that the creative process is everything. It's the closest you'll ever get to flying. To start with nothing and end up with an actual something that excites you is gold, plain and simple. To see other people digging it is just the icing on the cake and there's nothing better on this earth.
So to answer your question, yes I'm afraid you should quit. Because you sound like you're talking about your day job and that saddens me.
To quote a great character: "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. The "hard" is what makes it great."

Jim Brennan
01-20-2005, 06:58 AM
True Barry, the fire is not enough (unless all that concerns you is doing it, rather than making it. *Then you can carry on as long as you like) *But without the fire, you won't have much going for you in the end. *Talent is the tool, but it's not much good without the motivation.

In the end, you measure your own success, but to master something; to be truly great, requires an uncommon commitment.

SadMax
01-24-2005, 03:20 PM
I like the fencing story...

I used to fence when I lived back east, and for all the time and energy I invested, I just really didn't have the aptitude (or the fire, since I recognized my own lack of aptitude and went looking for something else...)

Turned out my abilities lay more in the realm of sharpshooting. So I'm perfectly happy that I let go of fencing; otherwise I might never have discovered that I was capable of being a damn good rifleman.

Maybe there's a moral in there somewhere.

Good luck finding it.

Jim Brennan
01-24-2005, 03:39 PM
I think you have to be honest with yourself about whether you are good at something. If you aren't, you don't have to quit. My Mom is a mediocre painter, but she loves to do it, and that's fine. But she has no illusions about her talent and how far it will take her. The sooner you find where your gifts lie, the sooner you can pursue them with passion.

Voytek_Stitko
02-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Jim, after a while you can figure out if you are good or no good at something but it is true also that if you realize that NOW you are no good but you still got the FIRE or DESIRE to learn it ... I ve seen so many people who were not "talented" in this or that but they were so hard working that after a while they actually become GOOD and VERY GOOD. Hard work is very important whatever you wanna do. I know some guys who have an eye for cinematography but they do not do much and nothing happens. Dont you agree? Of course if you know you are no good and you lost your passion you better stop cos otherwise you can get frustrated and just pathetic guy. I agree with you on that. And as you said there are some people who are not masters in the field but still enjoy what they do and it is also ok.

Jim Brennan
02-03-2005, 09:58 PM
I firmly believe that you can master any craft with hard work and persistence. Artistry however, is another story.

jpbankesmercer
02-04-2005, 09:33 AM
I have to agree with Jim and yes WOW to the fencing story. John Hudson WOW that has to be one of my all time fav quotes (you are an interesting fellow)
So ok here I go...
Ive seen this type of thread allot, maybe even started one myself during the black days. It hits a universal nerve amongst all artists because its happened/happening to everyone who cares about creating anything. Fame/success/whatever you want to call it (can only be a by-product of the product (not that I've achieved it yet :-X so that's your starting point ..make, learn, blah, blah, become better at making the products - "Ooo.. that's nice" - "Hey this guy is really talented lets give him some top corporate jobs ;D - while still maintaining your guerilla filmaking on the side - "Hey we could make some money out of this guy he's a freakin goldmine! Quick give him that series to keep him busy and then we can slowly leech his soul for ideas, give him that advert as well - tell him its on HD with Helicopter shots.."
Ok so your paying the bills 8)
I was made redundant/set-up on my own/directed first film 'The Tribe' (comedy cavemen, well aren't they always?)
I got a big corporate job ::) luckily did'nt squander all the money held fast with my girlfriend and bought DVX100 (Thanks god!!!) mic, light kit and a good tripod oh and editing computer (laptop take the internet strain......now.....) and she got her ring.
Guess what?
The dream of a constant flow of cash-cow-corporate jobs faded faster than a fake tour t-shirt - que me banging my head on the floor plus following montage of next three years being poorer than a dustbin - counting chips in the supermarket with a glazed zombie look on our faces (might submit that to DVX)
I still had my basic toolkit.
Approached a band at gig. Made first music vid.
Wrote a short.
Wrote a long.
Wrote a long-short (am thinking about a short-long but maybe too futuristic for todays palette)
Shot the short.
Wrote a very long :o
Shooting the long-short now.
Want to shoot the very long.
Shot someones something else (we wont talk about that)
Taught kids to shoot their shorts (films!)
Now.
Hopefully my short-long will lead to my long or even someone elses shorts as long as I get paid :P
Plus...
You do have to be honest about your own talent (My stuffs great :-*)
Try your best and if people are still starring blankly at your work in tens years post me a thread I would love to see it.
J.P.v :-X
P.s those kids shorts have come in handy for my short-long, even though I know that's sacrilege (I know!) (chanting to himself) Don't drop a frame...don't drop a frame....and yes I am that poor :D

sarno
02-05-2005, 05:17 PM
wow.

Shaw
02-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Jim, do you fence or do you just have some great stories? :D

meharpe
02-05-2005, 08:38 PM
You must keep trying. Quitting is the last thing you should ever do. I am slowly building up my DVX-100A rig and now that I finally have a light kit I am actually going to go looking for some work. Even if I screw it up royally, I was there and I gave it my best shot. I will learn from it either way and I will live to shoot another day. I love doing it so much that I will never stop.

Mike Harpe :)

jpbankesmercer
02-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Maybe Jim WAS that fencer!
J.P. :-X

Jim Brennan
02-06-2005, 06:00 PM
No, I don't fence. It was one of those many and storied diversions in my life. It did not amount to anything. But it was one of many object lessons I learned under various circumstances. It reinforced to me that success principles are universal. The basics always pay off. Hard work, persistence, vision, compassion, honesty, and the humility to listen to others and learn from your mistakes will serve you well no matter what you do.

Voytek_Stitko
02-10-2005, 09:12 PM
...and try to get at least 5 hours of sleep ;D

... i checked myslef, if it is below 5 hours you just crash like my laptop I use to edit my feature on ;D

Voytek_Stitko
02-10-2005, 09:14 PM
oh if it is only 5 hours a day, dont go for more than two weeks straight...cos you will crash too...

high8
02-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Learn from your and everyone elses mistakes. PAY ATTENTION to everything. think about your audience and what you want to tell them. Utilize the tools necessary to do so.
If you are in it for fame, you will probably NOT be a great filmmaker.

Kelisis
02-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi, I just wanted to pitch in. When I was 12 years old I decided to quit my passion of making movies because I was frustrated that I couldn't make them as professional as the films I watched on the big screen. I had the ideas, but didn't know how to express them on film. Now, I'm 14 and I'm back into my hobby and at my age it can be pretty frustrating on getting a movie done and made. I don't have the resources and don't have any money and people generally look down at you like your a joke. But, the only reason I stick with it is because I love making movies to death! It's all about the persistence and never giving up how ever bad it seems to get. If you have the persistence to stick with it, you have the persistence to succeed.

I believe that all creativity flows from god, not ourselves. I'm not a religious person at all, but I believe if we open ourselves up to spirituality we open a channel for our most creative thoughts and ideas. Ourselves, our perception of self, our minds are not us. They are only forms of comprehension for ourselfs to feel like we are seperate, we are one individual self, living in this unknown and strange world. Therefore, we don't create our creativity, god creates it and flows it through us. But, many people build these egos, thinking because they have made this artwork, this creative expression, that they are superior to others some how, but usually that just opens doors to ignorance for them. If filmmaking is what was really meant to be for you then it will consume every part of your life. This is a egostical and a shark eats shark business, but if your humble and open yourself up to the world, the greatest creativity will flow out of you and into the moving picture your putting up on the screen.

This is what I've learned with the limited amount of experience I do have and try to put in practice when I create movies.

SadMax
02-19-2005, 05:19 PM
God, collective unconscious, the Force, kami, whatever works.

tkoind
02-24-2005, 08:18 PM
I think it is about passion. I'm just getting started and I have a lot of doubts and fears. I beat myself up pretty hard for along time over spending the money on the camera without a clear vision of what it would yield. But then a friend reminded me of 15 years ago when I dropped everything and spent a ton of money on music gear. I had nearly zero confidence that the investment then would pay off either and had the whole buyer's guilt then too. But a year after that I released a CD and landed an indie contract for 5 years.

I look back at those years recording, playing and performing as some of the best in my life. I'm proud of those songs and proud of the performances. Not for their quality or popularity, but for the sense that I did something. Something I can hold and hear and reflect upon for the rest of my life. Something i created from nothing. And I realize that the fear and regret I had at the time couldn't stand in the way of the passion for music that I had not fully realized.

I hope every day that passes that my new passion for film will do the same. If not yielding the successes that music did, then I at least hope for the happiness and memories that doing something you love brings to life. And I know I'll get over the worries. Passion has a way of leading you where you need to go, sometimes maybe before you even realize it. All I can say is that if all you can think about is filming, then filming will be a part of your life one way or another until something else captures your heart and imagination.

jasonhlv
02-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Why would anyone be worried about making it so long as you're able to get your hands on a dvx100a, and some good editing software? What more tools do you need?

parasite
02-26-2005, 02:38 PM
first question: what exactly is "making it" anyway?

second thought: you are not the job, any job - be it filmmaker of fileclerk.

three: remove your attachment to the outcome

four: three guys from salt lake city made the biggest buzz film of 2004 for $400k, it sold for $3m, then grossed $43m after 23 weeks in release after opening on only five screens.

five: it stops when you stop.

EVIL_HOMER
02-28-2005, 12:01 AM
If you enjoy the ride, it won't matter if you find the destination.

Quote:

Evil Homer

(I hope that makes sence!)

parasite
03-09-2005, 04:49 PM
if you make films, you _are_ a filmmaker.

If you enjoy the ride, it won't matter if you find the destination.

Quote:

Evil Homer

(I hope that makes sence!)