PDA

View Full Version : 7D shutter blade melted when filming sun??

See tukka
07-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Could this happen?? I was taking a time lapse of a sun and flowers. Something weird happened at the beginning of the shoot. I have video of the shoot , showing the issue what I mean. After this shoot there is a white stripe on every picture. And I looked at the shutter and there is a about 2mm stripe hole on one of the blades. It looks like it had been burned with magnifying glass. Could the sun really do this?? How can this happen if the sun really did this? The mirror is always in front of the shutter and when itīs not the time is so short that it couldīt possible have the time to burn it. Is the shutter jammed some how and this had happened. Any ideas anyone. Is this kind of issue covered under warranty??

Here is a link to the video:

http://jokemedia.fi/HAMK/Kukat.mp4

Thanks,

Ryan Patrick O'Hara
07-03-2010, 02:44 PM
A lens gathers light, and focuses it down to a point. That point of focus falls inside the camera body and onto the camera's sensor chip. Remember when you were a kid and you used to take a magnifying glass to ants? When did they burn the most? Was it when the light was brought to the most concise point of focus? It's like that. Pointing a camera lens at the sun has historically never been the best thing to do. (ask people who used to shoot video with tubes... the sun is evil! lol ). You can burn pixels and do all sorts of damage if it is prolonged exposure.

I'm afraid you might have done some damage there, man. although you say the shutter looks burned, I hope that is all, because I would be surprised if it did not damage the chip in some way as well. That was intense. I don't know if it's covered under warranty, but I'd check that out if I were you!

Noel Evans
07-03-2010, 03:01 PM
WOW, never seen that before. If its burnt one of your aperture blades, try switching to another lense and see if its still there.

See tukka
07-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the answers guys,

But I still donīt understand how this could happen. Cause every time when the camera isnīt taking picture the mirror is in front of the shutter and chip and therefore blocking the sun hitting those parts. And when itīs taking the picture the time that these parts are affected by the sun is so short that it could not burn anything.

I donīt get it?? Could the mirror some how got stucked on itīs upper position during those first shots that you can see on the video??

Zissou
07-03-2010, 03:48 PM
try changing lenses, and see if the problem persists.

and i doubt its covered under warranty.

n8ture
07-03-2010, 04:23 PM
If it is in fact on your shutter and not on the iris blades of your lens it's probably accumulative exposure.

Try touching your finger to a hot stove once every few seconds. At first it's not hot but if you don;t give it time to dissipate the heat eventually you get burned.

If the lens was focused and acted like a magnifying glass, it wouldn't take long to fry the shutter.

Ian-T
07-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Wow...this is the first time I've heard of somethig like this happening if it's true.

David G. Smith
07-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Holy cow, I haven't seen anything like that before. Sorry for your issues, but that is pretty interesting. From looking at it it looks like either sensor damage, or lens damage. I mean, I am guessing like everyone else, but if it was damage to the shutter, I would think that the shutter moves out of the way when a picture is made, so I am not sure why that would show up. Same with damage to the aperture blades. I think that with the sun moving across the frame, the damage would change as the angle of light changed, which does not happen. If you had the camera in live view, the sensor would have been exposed during the whole of the shot, which could have caused damage to it. If you did not have it in live view, then may it is like n8ture says and it is accumulation damage to the sensor. It also could be damage to the lens. Maybe on of the lens elements got heated and damaged (burned off the coating). That should be visible to the eye. Try another lens to rule that out. It does seem to oscillate between frames, which seems to me wouldn't happen if it was sensor damage. It also seems to make it's own lens flare, near the end of the video. Wow, this is a real head scratcher. Good luck. If you get it figured out, post back and let us know. I doubt if it is covered under warranty though.

thekeygun
07-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Every manual on every camera i've ever had says "do not point lens directly into sunlight" I believe this also includes blowtorches, of which i've pointed directly at the lens also. It all depends on how long you are pointing it at intense light sources.
I'm afraid that your timelapse at the sun might have been long enough to ruin it.

See tukka
07-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Every manual on every camera i've ever had says "do not point lens directly into sunlight" I believe this also includes blowtorches, of which i've pointed directly at the lens also. It all depends on how long you are pointing it at intense light sources.
I'm afraid that your timelapse at the sun might have been long enough to ruin it.

Actually if you are precise the 7d manual only says not to point camera into the sun, when using, mirror lock up, video mode, or liveview mode. There is no mention about taking normal pictures, which I did. This is the case at least in the finnish version of the manual

Lez
07-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I personally reckon filming Arc Welding would be hotter than shooting the sun....

I doubt your sensor would be fried but then again maybe sensors are a bit like tube cameras (which by they way I did fry buy shooting welding back in the 1980's... Never had an issue with CCD's...)

Somebody got an arc welder and a camera to try with???

Having a look at your footage the burn spots near the beginning almost remind me of the old tube cameras....

Jordan_S
07-17-2010, 09:22 PM
OP: What happened when you changed lenses? I wonder if this occurrence has something to do with shooting during the time of the midnight sun.

See tukka
07-21-2010, 09:46 AM
For your infomation, the camera was repaired under warranty. They changed the shutter and now it seems to work. It seemed that the mirror was stucked to itīs upper position causing this to happen...

azboy1985
07-24-2010, 11:29 AM
So if I wanted to shoot timelapses of sunrises and sunsets, I wouldn't be able to do this? Wouldn't a filter of some kind help protect the lens and sensor from any permanent damage?

thekeygun
07-24-2010, 12:02 PM
sweet! glad you got that fixed under warranty.

David G. Smith
07-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I am glade you got it fixed. That has to be a load off of you mind.