PDA

View Full Version : Some Doc footage shot with the GH13

dsankey
07-03-2010, 07:32 AM
I've been shooting a boatload of documentary footage over the past few weeks, and here's a sample:

http://vimeo.com/13020986

The hack showed up right when I was starting the project, and after shooting the first weekend unhacked - and getting pissed about the time it took to deinterlace, plus some mud problems - I hacked the camera and did some tests to make sure I could get stable results. I wound up going with the B settings because they sounded less risky. Still, I think the results are great. I have had a couple problems with static high-detail footage causing write errors, but luckily I'm almost always handheld and it hasn't been a problem so far.

jakobim
07-03-2010, 07:48 AM
http://vimeo.com/13020986

jaycanode
07-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Cool concept and well done!

A bit of unsolicited criticism....a tripod would really calm things down and allow for better reflection on these subjects by the viewer. I find your handheld shots add unnecessary tension. ( But hey maybe you were going for that!)

Good luck.

Rocketfuel
07-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Cool concept and well done!

A bit of unsolicited criticism....a tripod would really calm things down and allow for better reflection on these subjects by the viewer. I find your handheld shots add unnecessary tension. ( But hey maybe you were going for that!)

Good luck.

I disagree. I believe that the slight movement in the shots is perfectly acceptable. It gives an alive feeling to story and is done in a very professional and stable way. I don't enjoy when handheld footage is overly jerky, but this footage is steady enough.

It's strange, but I've found that we are so accustomed to seeing so much movement in tv and film these days that if we lock down on a tripod, the shots feel flat and boring. I myself mostly use a monopod for a lot of my shooting.

Keep up the good work dsankey. Stay the coarse with the style you've chosen to shoot this doc with. It works.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
07-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Really nice shooting, dsankey!

What Andrea Carvalho & her "partners in crime" are doing is great. Good luck to them!

Question: How are you recording sound?

jaycanode
07-04-2010, 06:59 PM
It's strange, but I've found that we are so accustomed to seeing so much movement in tv and film these days that if we lock down on a tripod, the shots feel flat and boring.

A prime example of what I am getting at...and this is more a testimony to where society is going and how art can influence society. We are fast becoming an ADD society. I believe this is due to the vast amount of info we digest and consume daily. When there is unnecessary or additional movement in footage it can add to the overall confusion. Movement can certainly benefit footage when used correctly. To me the most impactful shooting is accomplished when the photographer fills the frame with precise intention and allows the movement within the frame to tell the story.

The documentary footage posted by dsankey contains some quite "fringey" concepts in society. This is great and I applaud him for shedding light on the subject. Personally though if I saw this on the big screen and it were anywhere near feature length, and handheld the entire time, I would get dizzy after a while. I could see how your average audience member could also be affected by this and thus the message of the documentary would more easily slip one's ADD riddled brain.

OK, I've drawn the target on myself...let er' rip.

Coco Bermudez
07-05-2010, 11:16 AM
bravo! well done. How did you manage the audio?
No I am not living under a rock, but this is the first time I've heard about this hack...I had a GH-1 and I got rid of it and moved to the Canon cameras. My jaw dropped when I saw the footage. Can it be that it looks THAT good? I might have to get a GH-1 and hack it....