PDA

View Full Version : Where to Start?

medic91w
07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Hi I am interested in learning about art direction, scene design, and production design. I was wondering if someone could recommend some sites, books, or other forms of learning. I didn't see any sticky articles here on the fundamentals. I read another article somewhere on this site talking about how 50% of a film look is about these subjects, so I would like to learn the basics. Thanks a lot!

jmoschner
07-01-2010, 10:47 PM
I have: The Art Direction Handbook for Film by Michael Rizzo, and The Filmmaker’s Guide to Production Design by Vincent LoBrutto. Both are good places to start.

medic91w
07-02-2010, 01:23 AM
I have: The Art Direction Handbook for Film by Michael Rizzo, and The Filmmaker’s Guide to Production Design by Vincent LoBrutto. Both are good places to start.

Thanks a lot! I will check those out.

Sad Max
07-02-2010, 06:55 AM
The Blu-Ray and DVD releases of lots of big studio films contain good behind-the-scenes material including the Art Department. Not in-depth in terms of discipline or technique but it may be useful to get a sense of what gets done where.

Motion picture and television Art Direction is interdisciplinary: don't restrict yourself to books written specifically on the subject. The more you learn about architecture, decoration, photography, fashion, construction and history the better educated you will be for the purpose of the work. Drafting and modeling are vital basic skills for designers, and for Art Directors workflow management and budgeting are things you'll need to learn too. And a Production Designer should grasp all of the above, plus understand the various departments under him in order to direct them most effectively, too.

medic91w
07-02-2010, 07:05 PM
The Blu-Ray and DVD releases of lots of big studio films contain good behind-the-scenes material including the Art Department. Not in-depth in terms of discipline or technique but it may be useful to get a sense of what gets done where.

Motion picture and television Art Direction is interdisciplinary: don't restrict yourself to books written specifically on the subject. The more you learn about architecture, decoration, photography, fashion, construction and history the better educated you will be for the purpose of the work. Drafting and modeling are vital basic skills for designers, and for Art Directors workflow management and budgeting are things you'll need to learn too. And a Production Designer should grasp all of the above, plus understand the various departments under him in order to direct them most effectively, too.

Thank you sounds like very sound advice. I will definitely start studying these fields.