PDA

View Full Version : GH13 + Cooke S4i's - Texting Shorts

Kholi
06-27-2010, 09:43 PM

Details on Vimeo.

Vimeo really doesn't do the raw footage justice. It looks incredible on a 60" and everywhere else I pipe it out too.

Love the Hot Rod + GH13 + Cooke S4 combo.

Unstoppable.

dvxhutch
06-27-2010, 09:57 PM
That second one in particular is just hilarious. Looks fantastic. Going to vimeo to check more info on it.

Kholi
06-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Haaa thanks Hutch.

All details on vimeo but here's the short list for those who don't go:

Produced/Boomed/Supervised/gripped/PA by: Geoff Reisner
Written/Directed/Shot/Cut by: Kholi Hicks
Sound Design/Sound Mix: Jeff Dodson

Talent-

James (son) - David Nash
Dad (dad?) - John Prudhont

Voice Talent-

Eileen Rene

----

One of two small segments shot over the course of daylight hours thursday, cut over Friday and Saturday, last minute sound designed today and [bad] Color correction pass plus upload tonight.

----

Technical Details:

GH13 (Hack) + Hot Rod PL Mount
Cooke S4i 12/T2.1, 50/T2.1
AVCHD 1080/24pN
320 ISO (for all shots) @ 1/50 Shutter
----

Thanks to all that were involved in the process!

HHL
06-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks so much for posting. I'm watching your GH13 footy closer than any footage I have for several years. :) 700.00 Body? Freakin CRAZY!

Martti Ekstrand
06-28-2010, 02:32 AM
Great stuff! Looks super and really funny.

Love the bonuses like the trumpet chart on the wall.

mitchell1074
06-28-2010, 05:52 AM
Nice! Was this with "C" settings? Any write errors or other glitches during your shoot?

Adventsam
06-28-2010, 06:10 AM

Very funny, very good iq, is this a trick, this is really from the Red right? mind I know it cant be from Canon, too sharp, LOL.:laugh:

Ian Slessor
06-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Criminey!

Is it just my red-green defect or does that look like film?

Seriously. Awesome stuff.

ian

Rabot
06-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Excellent setup, shorts, and IQ.

What's your workflow?

Luis Caffesse
06-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Awesome work Kholi (and Geoff)
Looks great - and played great.
:thumbsup:

Kholi
06-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks so much for posting. I'm watching your GH13 footy closer than any footage I have for several years. :) 700.00 Body? Freakin CRAZY!

Indeed. I do remember how I felt when I first grabbed the GH1, it was sad that it had so many issues but now I feel the same way again: I just want to freakin' shoot.

Once the Video Out comes from this camera it's pretty much a done deal. I'll take SD out just to be able to monitor!

dcloud
06-28-2010, 10:37 AM
great work!
any other details on the set ups?

Kholi
06-28-2010, 10:37 AM

Very funny, very good iq, is this a trick, this is really from the Red right? mind I know it cant be from Canon, too sharp, LOL.:laugh:

Haha. I knew people would love that. I saw it in the frame and almost freaked, then realized that it wasn't dancing and aliasing, not distracting at all.

So we left it! Can't say I've never shot a trumpet. Heee.

It's definitely GH-1 though. All of the wide shots are the 12/T2.1 COoke S4i. My new favorite lens.

The vimeo upload's nowhere near the quality of the raw material. Far from it.

Kholi
06-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Nice! Was this with "C" settings? Any write errors or other glitches during your shoot?

C settings indeed. No glitches or errors. This camera setup was supplied by Hot Rod and I actually re-hacked it for him, so I was silly not to test it before... but, where it should have failed if it were going to it plowed right through without a single error.

One of my favorite shots, that I just don't think would've turned out nearly as great with any other cam, is the wide of the house @ 12mm ~ 15ft. It's so rich in detail and color, no aliasing to be spotted, no moire to distract and no mud to destroy.

Kholi
06-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Criminey!

Is it just my red-green defect or does that look like film?

Seriously. Awesome stuff.

ian

Hahah thanks Ian. It's far from film for me but close enough to the best digital money can rent at this moment for me to shoot small projects on without flinching.

Glad ya like!

Erik Olson
06-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Kholi,

What is your thinking / experience using the PL-mounted Cooke lenses regarding aperture and frame coverage?

I'm considering building a Zeiss CP.2 set (18mm; 25mm; 50mm; 85mm) and wonder if you would have any concerns based on your experience with the Cooke S4s? Naturally, I have an eye toward the eventual AF100, and the CP.2s seem a good value when I need a down-and-dirty set of PL primes "in house".

Kholi
06-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Kholi,

What is your thinking on the PL-mounted Cooke lenses regarding aperture and frame coverage?

I'm considering building a Zeiss CP.2 set (18mm; 25mm; 50mm; 85mm) and wonder if you would have any concerns based on your experience with the Cooke S4s? Naturally, I have an eye toward the eventual AF100, and the CP.2s seem a good value when I need a down-and-dirty set of PL primes "in house".

This is a pretty good question. I know that before, GH1 may have been limited and glass really made little difference... I feel that it does now so it's relevant.

I definitely think that PL mount is the way to go, so no matter which glass you choose I'd look into the Hot Rod PL Mount asap. I think it'll work with the Af100 in the future but Illya will have more info on that. The combo works out as if they were built for each other.

On the glass, I have yet to try out CP.2's but rest assured within a week or so I'll have my hands on the set over at Hot Rod to shoot with. Mr. Friedman has a lot of great things to say about them. My experience with the Cooke's however is going to be a hard one to beat.

The 12/T2.1 covers the entire GH1 recorded image without any vignetting. What you see in the video is from my oversight in not getting a large enough mattebox to clip onto the MASSIVE front end. Of course, it's playing more like an ultra fast 16mm on the GH1 but it works. The Aperture is another big deal for me: matched and accurate through the set. The CP.2's vary in aperture and while that's not bad--because I bet they perform very well wide open when you need them to be--I would still like my widest lens (10 or 12 preferred now) to be a T2.1 at least for indoor use. If I remember right, the 18mm CP.2 is a T3.6. That's a bit slow, but nothing excruciating.

Also, is the 18mm the widest on the CP.2? That's not too shabby, but plays like a 22mm on the GH1. You CAN always rent wider... which brings us to ownership...

You make a good point, the CP.2's you can actually own. Cooke S4's will break your bank, make your wife leave you and eventually give you a heart attack; in whichever order you prefer. The 12mm alone is the same price as a rather nice vehicle.

In that case, and I'm sure I'll say this after I use the CP.2s for some work, I don't think you can go wrong with a set of CP.2s. You've got buttery smooth iris and focus rings, gears, and the weight that you need to really "Make" the camera, you know?

You can always own and rent different for the project, having the option in the first place (PL Mount) is the big deal.

Just to kind of tack on, I love the Cooke's for flare resistant, highlight roll-off, being sharp but not TOO sharp at around T2.8 and color reproduction. They don't feel like they're biased toward the warm or cool spectrum, and represent more accurately what I see with my own eyes when balanced appropriately. I've noticed that with Zeiss glass (the new glass, not Contax) there's always a bit of a "cold" cast.

It can be colored out, of course, just noting.

PL is the way!

Erik Olson
06-28-2010, 11:24 AM
I look forward to seeing what you and Illya come back with. The 18mm / T3.6 is currently the widest in the CP.2 range. Okay, that said, and based on the newest GH13 firmware, what would you be comfortable "rating" the camera at ? 500?

Luis Caffesse
06-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I definitely think that PL mount is the way to go, so no matter which glass you choose I'd look into the Hot Rod PL Mount asap. I think it'll work with the Af100 in the future but Illya will have more info on that.

It's probably a safe bet considering the pic on the front of the AF100 brochure shows the Hot Rod PL mount if I'm not mistaken:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=214396

Kholi
06-28-2010, 11:29 AM
I look forward to seeing what you and Illya come back with. The 18mm / T3.6 is currently the widest in the CP.2 range. Okay, that said, and based on the newest GH13 firmware, what would you be comfortable "rating" the camera at ? 500?

Illya says 400, I believe him. I haven't done my own tests, but it feels that it gets a rating 320 - 400 for me. That's rating, but I'd comfortably shoot up to 640 if I had to, and 800 borderline.

With fast glass, the results would be very manageable, me believes.

Zeiss is interesting, I think they're going to create a lot of interesting options in the coming two to three years. And, I don't think that the 18 will be the widest for long.

Oh, by the way! I had a chance to put my hands on a Zeiss LWZ.2 this past weekend. It had a Canon EOS mount on it, but is switchable between EOS and PL and let me tell you... that is one serious piece of glass.

It looks alien on the 7D, the camera I tried it on, but is insane. It'd be interesting to see how it performs against the Angenieux Optimo of the same zoom range and the Cooke Pancro Zoom. Lots of interesting developments for we filmmakers.

Ian-T
06-28-2010, 11:30 AM
…ok…I’m eating my foot now. This does not have harsh edges like a lot of other GH-1 footage I’ve seen. It’s very high detail yet….film like. Kholi…I hope you are not pulling a fast one on us. I mean…this is really the GH-1? Nice.

Kholi
06-28-2010, 11:30 AM
It's probably a safe bet considering the pic on the front of the AF100 brochure shows the Hot Rod PL mount if I'm not mistaken:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=214396

Why that it is. Good deal. It should be easy to set that up with a full blown rod support system, too.

Sweeet.

And thanks for the compliments earlier! Was just about to respond to that. Here's hoping for some video-out action.

William_Robinette
06-28-2010, 11:31 AM
The new hotness.

Luis Caffesse
06-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Kholi…I hope you are not pulling a fast one on us. I mean…this is really the GH-1?

Nope.
It's the GH13
:)

Kholi
06-28-2010, 11:34 AM
…ok…I’m eating my foot now. This does not have harsh edges like a lot of other GH-1 footage I’ve seen. It’s very high detail yet….film like. Kholi…I hope you are not pulling a fast one on us. I mean…this is really the GH-1? Nice.

Hahah. It absolutely is GH1. I actually was just going to use the MX but I needed to be inside of a car, have enough room in the bedroom, etc. So, the GH1 + PL mount had to be it.

I definitely don't regret the decision, as it informed me on what I could do with this thing in serious situations, where we've got more than two sets of hands to rock with.

I know what you mean by the harsh edges of GH1 footage, I honestly think it was the profiles that people were using. Noise reduction especially. If you check Mitchell's footage with the kit lens, it's just as smooth and detailed, and sharper. More digital, but definitely very awesome.

I was shocked that it was the kit lens.

This thing's an entirely new camera, man... I still can't believe how much it resolves. On a massive screen, Illya, Geoff and I were peeping and looking for infamous image flaws and honestly they were scarce.

We also attributed banding issues that people are seeing to monitors etc. As the large television had banding in it, but my production monitor and even my laptop LCD did not.

Crazy stuff.

Kholi
06-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Excellent setup, shorts, and IQ.

What's your workflow?

Thanks much.

Post workflow? I cut this in CS5 on my M11X Netbook, second monitor out through HDMI @ 1080 to a Sony 20" HD Production LCD.

Used the native files that came off of the camera right off of the timeline. It does require render with my system, I need to boost memory from 4gb to 8gb very soon and I think I'm just going to upgrade processor to i7.

It was a very liberating experience, as I would just unplug and go to a restaurant and edit while eating with a pair of headphones.

Shauntron
06-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Great shorts Kholi, funny stuff. I loved the bit with the seat!

Kholi
06-28-2010, 11:41 AM
great work!

Hmm. Honestly, it was just Geoff and I running show while the actors put up with my horrible directing. LoL. I didn't have a shot list or any boards, just what I remembered I wanted out of both.

We used a 150w Cool Lights HMI and a fake Dynaphos something 4bank wanna-be Diva Fluo majigger. All in all about 450w of light to spread around the bedroom.

The wall in the back's being pegged by the HMI through the tiny window, just enough to fill the background so that it wouldn't go dark, key's at a high angle camera right, all four banks on w/an old sheet of super-wrinkled diffusion Geoff found under his bed C-47'd on. LoL.

Super ghetto, but it worked. The rest is just ambience. All material shot @ 320 ISO, 1/50 shutter, @T2.1 - T4ish w/NDs and a Polarizer in the tray. In short, I always keep NDs and a Pola in if I can, and it let me shoot at 320ISO which looks the best to my eyes for this camera.

Outside, it's all natural light and sun position. We just planned to be out there shooting at certain time, moved the car into position and shot. IN the car the 150w HMI's being used, that's why it's so sourcey. But, only other choice was to let the background blow out or else... I chose keeping my background because it filled out the shot a lot more and just eating the consequences of not having more to work with.

That's about it!

Oh! And we used the Zoom H4N + Boom Mic for all audio. No mixer, just rolled with it.

Zoom H4N is seriously a must have. It's too cheap not to and it pays itself off in every situation we've been in.

Erik Olson
06-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Illya says 400, I believe him. I haven't done my own tests, but it feels that it gets a rating 320 - 400 for me. That's rating, but I'd comfortably shoot up to 640 if I had to, and 800 borderline.

With fast glass, the results would be very manageable, me believes.

Zeiss is interesting, I think they're going to create a lot of interesting options in the coming two to three years. And, I don't think that the 18 will be the widest for long.

I concur. Thought 640 would be the outside. But, man, I can get a lot done with a 640-rated camera.

Kholi
06-28-2010, 11:46 AM
I concur. Thought 640 would be the outside. But, man, I can get a lot done with a 640-rated camera.

That's exactly how I feel. I mean, look at the images indoors. Again, i'm @ 320 ISO BUT... that's because I have several stops of ND and Polarizer riding in front of the camera. That's just how I like to shoot, personally.

That's easily 100ISO territory and maybe a .3 or .6ND in that room, with what little we had + ambient light.

This camera is NOT slow by any means.

plasmasmp
06-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Looks amazing and very funny!

Kholi
06-28-2010, 11:48 AM
great work!

Oh! And! The static driving material is a Filmtools Suction Cup Car Mount (75.00) cupped to the inside corner of the windshield, camera mounted upside down with the Cooke 12mm, mattebox and filters in.

I can't believe it held that weight, but it was steady as heck. No jiggling/wiggling/jello from vibrations. Only thing I had to do in post was 180 the shot and it was good to go.

I would still liked to have had Video out for something like that, just to make sure of my composition, it worked out well.

Wes-C
06-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Looks great man. Question: Did you do 24p native or wrap? And how are you getting 320 ISO?

Kholi
06-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Looks great man. Question: Did you do 24p native or wrap? And how are you getting 320 ISO?

Native out o'camera. You can get 320 by enabling the rest of the ISOs. I forget how to do it, but it's just menu settings. That camera's menus can be quite confusing!

And, yeah, Geoff was doing a LOT. Haha.

Wes-C
06-28-2010, 11:57 AM
The menu has those settings? I'm going to have to look cause that would be cool. I'm hopefully going to upload some of my footage too....I don't have an adapter or anything like that but I might be able to turn out some nice stuff :-)
Working Geoff like a dog....GIVE HIM SOME REST! hahaha
Keep up the good work man.

WesScog
06-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Set the camera to manual in still-mode, go to the menu and look for the "EV" settings, change it to the other setting and you get the rest of the ISO's.

Wes-C
06-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Nice. I was able to do that. Thanks!

Kholi
06-28-2010, 12:10 PM
The new hotness.

Nope.
It's the GH13
:)

Appropriate! Haha.

Looks amazing and very funny!

Great shorts Kholi, funny stuff. I loved the bit with the seat!

Thanks much, guys. And, yeah, the seat is my favorite part. I think it's the combination of the noise being exactly what I imagined in my head and then Jeff adding the crunching leather sound.

Cracks me up.

Ian-T
06-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I would still liked to have had Video out for something like that, just to make sure of my composition, it worked out well.
Well...this is what Vitaliy posted not too long ago....

I am slowly progressing with TV output things, shutter related things and few other system rourines.

Here's to hoping.

Kholi
06-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Well...this is what Vitaliy posted not too long ago....

Here's to hoping.

Same boat, man. There's a lot more that could happen with the camera, the testing going on is proving that, but seriously can't wait to be able to go "We're using two GH1's for this shoot." and being able to run video for it.

I think Geoff took pics of the car mount with his phone. I'll see if he has it. I usually snap some iphone photos but we were running around so quick to get both done, just didn't cross my mind.

Luis Caffesse
06-28-2010, 12:22 PM
i'm @ 320 ISO BUT... that's because I have several stops of ND and Polarizer riding in front of the camera. That's just how I like to shoot, personally.

I've seen you mention that before - can you give us some detail as to why you like shooting that way? Polarizers I can understand - but from what you've said it almost seems like you're throwing ND on there when you don't really need it - I mean why not lose some of the ND and shoot at a lower ISO?

Just curious.

Blaine
06-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Great stuff, Kholi. Loved the writing! :thumbsup:

Kholi
06-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Great stuff, Kholi. Loved the writing! :thumbsup:

Yaay thanks Mr. Golden. I think the father son moment in the first could've used a lot of punch, the second one though is right on the money for what I wanted.

Always cool to see your writing come to life!

Kholi
06-28-2010, 12:32 PM
I've seen you mention that before - can you give us some detail as to why you like shooting that way? Polarizers I can understand - but from what you've said it almost seems like you're throwing ND on there when you don't really need it - I mean why not lose some of the ND and shoot at a lower ISO?

Just curious.

Here's what I started noticing on the GH1 when I first got my hands on it last year: the lower the iso, for whatever reason, the swifter banding and blocking showed when there were large areas of one certain color, or gradients.

I had the same issues with the 5D and 7D at low ISOs, the image was clean as far as noise goes, but something else was off to my eye.

Not to long ago, I accidentally shot 640 ISO outdoors with the 7D because I forgot to change it/remove the NDs. Here's the link:

6859135]

Okay, so why does my footage look SO different all of a sudden? And not in a bad way, by far. I liked the look a lot more than low ISO material. To me, it looks a lot more "robust" or "full".

I make the same case here with the 7D:

Shooting anyhere between 320 - 640 ISO in broad daylight, stacking NDs and a Polarizer, and sometimes shooting wide open.

The other half of that equation is NDs and glass coatings. I can't really prove it, but I feel like the extra coating helps render detail, especially contours and planes, a lot more pleasing than just straight glass.

The Polarizer I keep in as much as possible to help roll off highlights wherever they may fall. The wall in the back was actually a lot hotter, the polarizer helped dampen that drastically.

So, I could be crazy for shooting @ 320 indoors and using filters when I don't have to. To my eyes, there's a very noticeable and notable difference in the overall "dimension" of the image when I do.

I've mused with Isaac Brody, since the Letus Ultimate came out and I finally started using Polarizers and External NDs, that part of the "Film Look" is also stacking filters in front of the lens.

Again, I could just be crazy though!

Luis Caffesse
06-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Interesting - I may have to put some of these theories to the test when I can find the time.
I do use a polarizer whenever I can - but hadn't played around much with the ISO (other than staying off the noisier ones on the 7D).

Thanks for the info.

Kholi
06-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Interesting - I may have to put some of these theories to the test when I can find the time.
I do use a polarizer whenever I can - but hadn't played around much with the ISO (other than staying off the noisier ones on the 7D).

Thanks for the info.

Do let me know what you think. What NDs do you have? One thing I haven't worked with is a Fader, but I don't really want to. I may just be falling into marketing traps or whatever but I don't trust anything but Tiffen and Hoya.

I've got a set of Hoya HMC NDs and Hoya HMC Circ Pola that I use.

I wish SOMEONE would make magnetic/snap in stackable NDs so I wouldn't have to deal with screwing them on and off.

Anyway, please inform me of your testing results!

Luis Caffesse
06-28-2010, 01:12 PM
What NDs do you have?

Well, I'll have to get more just for this testing.
All I have right now that I use pretty regularly is a .9 B+W ND.
(and a fader)

One thing I haven't worked with is a Fader, but I don't really want to.

It's convenient, but I seriously question it's quality.
I've been debating dumping it and going to straight NDs.

I wish SOMEONE would make magnetic/snap in stackable NDs so I wouldn't have to deal with screwing them on and off.
I'd be second in line for those, right behind you.
That's a killer idea.

Anyway, please inform me of your testing results!
Will do.
It'll be a while (heading out of town for a couple of weeks) - but it's on my list now.

PappasArts
06-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Very cool- Awesome work Kholi!

Pappas

AndyW69
06-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Hi guys can I ask anyone embedding a clip to also post the vimeo
link, I'm using an iPad and can't see the clips

Andy

jfro
06-28-2010, 06:12 PM
I sold my GH1 about 2 months ago and will have to buy another.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure settings without the camera but playing with ptools.

Did you set the Video Bitrate simplified to C?
or the overall Bitrate Adjustment to C?
and or the limiting Bitrate to C?

Or am in the wrong spot.

If you could show all your settings, that would be most helpful.

Thanks

Filmkid2003
06-28-2010, 09:34 PM
I second what Jefro just posted. Awesome footage, Kholi. Very inspiring. If you don't mind me asking, what SDHC card were you using? Since you said you shot at the "C" settings with no problems, I'm very curious as to which card you were using. Thanks.

Martti Ekstrand
06-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Check out the still range of filters from Formatt, come in 85mm and 100mm and they make their own holders.

http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filters/products.aspx

Similar to Cokin (85mm is same size) but it's been reported here that Formatt has less tinting than those. Haven't used the stills range myself but I got Formatt's 4x4 glass NDs and those are great, better than any Tiffens I've used during the years.

dcloud
06-28-2010, 10:39 PM
thanks for the infos kholi!
i probably wouldve lit it a bit differently but i learned some stuff from your setup

Kholi
06-29-2010, 12:57 AM
thanks for the infos kholi!
i probably wouldve lit it a bit differently but i learned some stuff from your setup

Oh, I certainly would have as well, had I more time and more lights. Purposely limiting myself to two meant deciding and shooting, more would've required more time, more man power, etc. But, knowing that it was just Geoff and I and we had to shoot both of these between 1:30PM and 6PM, just gotta make a decision that means making the day. Arg!

Gotta do what ya gotta do!

Kholi
06-29-2010, 01:01 AM
I second what Jefro just posted. Awesome footage, Kholi. Very inspiring. If you don't mind me asking, what SDHC card were you using? Since you said you shot at the "C" settings with no problems, I'm very curious as to which card you were using. Thanks.

Thanks much!

My PTool settings come from Version 3.0.0 so I don't know if they'll be of any use, but they're JObless' C settings to exacts. The new tool doesn't have a video buffer option from what I've read. I haven't tried it as I'm satisfied enough with the current image and I don't want to futz it up.

SDHC Card is a Sandisk Extreme Class 10 4GB SDHC card from Best Buy. I'm sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere, but I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't have any camera issues so I just overpaid for the 4GB.

Is what it is right!?

dcloud
06-29-2010, 01:07 AM
Yes. This makes me want to go out there and shoot. Sucks im stuck indoors with work x_x

AdrianF
06-29-2010, 04:32 AM
Looks really good. The wide shots show off the camera/lens combo very well.

Kholi
06-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Check out the still range of filters from Formatt, come in 85mm and 100mm and they make their own holders.

http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filters/products.aspx

Similar to Cokin (85mm is same size) but it's been reported here that Formatt has less tinting than those. Haven't used the stills range myself but I got Formatt's 4x4 glass NDs and those are great, better than any Tiffens I've used during the years.

I've looked at the Cokin's for a while. It may be a good time to mess with them, we'll have to see.

I'm getting back into the habit of using a mattebox now that we're employing NDs.. I've noticed a Clip on is pretty sweet for mobility.

Kholi
06-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Looks really good. The wide shots show off the camera/lens combo very well.

Thanks much, Adrian. I agree, the major thing for me is being able to roll with a 12mm lens that's super fast. Of course, it's what I'm used to be a 16mm but that's plenty wide for my purposes.

My next go out I'm going to experiment with some 18mm "full frame" wide-open style compositions and shoot some 12mm vistas.

Filmkid2003
06-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the info, Kholi. I ordered a Sandisk Class 10 card this morning. Looks like the Jobless C settings work well for you.

Kholi
06-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the info, Kholi. I ordered a Sandisk Class 10 card this morning. Looks like the Jobless C settings work well for you.

For sure. Where did you get your Sandisk card from and how much?

C-Settings have been pretty good, kind of afraid to use anything else. Haha.

Wes-C
06-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Hey Kholi, I was thinking about getting an ND filter because I was noticing that shooting outside even at ISO 100 I still don't have a lot of room in the aperture. Do you think getting a .9 ND filter would be good (even indoors)? It seems like you are using the equivalent of a .9.

Kholi
06-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Hey Kholi, I was thinking about getting an ND filter because I was noticing that shooting outside even at ISO 100 I still don't have a lot of room in the aperture. Do you think getting a .9 ND filter would be good (even indoors)? It seems like you are using the equivalent of a .9.

You definitely need NDs. And a polarizer.

The Screw on NDs work in stop measurements: 2, 4, 8 (i think it's 8).

If I remember right, .6 = 2 stops, .9 = 3 stops, 1.2 = 4 stops, 1.5 = 5 stops.

I had a 1.5 and .6 riding sometimes I believe, and a Polarizer which is about 1 stop as well.

So my guesstimate is that at any given moment, indoors and outdoors, I had about 8 - 10 stops being cut before the glass, shooting at a T2.1 ~ 2.8 Split or 2.8~4 split, 1/50th shutter, 320 ISO.

You need a LOT of stopping power to be able to do that.

Barry_Green
06-30-2010, 03:30 PM
In the ND filter numbering scheme, .1 = 1/3 of a stop. So .3 = 1 stop. Kholi's assessment is right on.

mitchell1074
06-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Are you all using the hot mirror/IR NDs or standard?

Wes-C
06-30-2010, 03:44 PM
I think I'm going to start with the .9, cause I don't have any other glass except the kit lens. I definitely want to get the polarizer as well. I can't believe you had 8-10 stops being cut before the glass...you're a daredevil Kholi. :-) I think I'm going to get a Nikon adapter for it too, so I could use my f1.8 50mm (and get other Nikon glass).
Hopefully I'll shoot something soon that is interesting enough to show you and Geoff.

Wes-C
06-30-2010, 03:55 PM
I know you were mentioning costs of the Sandisk cards and I don't know if you saw this new rebate:
Receive a Visa prepaid card when you buy TWO SanDisk Extreme memory cards, of the same size and type, between April 4, 2010 through July 3, 2010.

Buy 2 Extreme III SDHC 4GB - receive $30 Visa Gift Card
Buy 2 Extreme III SDHC 8GB - receive $40 Visa Gift Card
Buy 2 Extreme III SDHC 16GB - receive $40 Visa Gift Card
Buy 2 Extreme III SDHC 32GB - receive $40 Visa Gift Card
Buy 2 Extreme CompactFlash 8GB - receive $20 Visa Gift Card
Buy 2 Extreme CompactFlash 16GB - receive $40 Visa Gift Card
Buy 2 Extreme CompactFlash 32GB - receive $70 Visa Gift Card

(Please see rebate form for complete details.)
4/4/10 through 7/3/10

Kholi
06-30-2010, 04:00 PM
In the ND filter numbering scheme, .1 = 1/3 of a stop. So .3 = 1 stop. Kholi's assessment is right on.

Thanks much. Was just about to google to make sure, but there y'have it! How'd you like that trumpet on the wall? LOL

Are you all using the hot mirror/IR NDs or standard?

Actually, I just remembered this: somehow I always get slipped a full set of IR NDs, so yeah, I'm using IR. I haven't used regular NDs with the GH1 yet.

Also, there's a new Tiffen 2.0 IR ND out! rental houses are starting to get them, so excited.

I think I'm going to start with the .9, cause I don't have any other glass except the kit lens. I definitely want to get the polarizer as well. I can't believe you had 8-10 stops being cut before the glass...you're a daredevil Kholi. :-) I think I'm going to get a Nikon adapter for it too, so I could use my f1.8 50mm (and get other Nikon glass).
Hopefully I'll shoot something soon that is interesting enough to show you and Geoff.

Adapters are important. You definitely should pick up some new glass. I'd recommend Canon FDs if you can, the image is so pretty.

It's kind of odd to roll with NDs when you don't necessarily have to, but, it's just the way I like to shoot. To me, I can see a certain softness that I like. However, I may experiment with less actual glass and lower ISOs to see where that gets me.

Shoot it up and post! We'd both like to see what you're up to over there, man.

Wes-C
06-30-2010, 04:16 PM
You won't believe this but I looked in an case I have that has my old manual Canon 35mm film camera...and since you recommended the FDs I wanted to see if those are the lenses that I have. SO they actually are. I have a 50mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8, and 35-70mm 3.5. I'll email you a picture of them.
What adapter can you recommend? I'm dying to use these lenses!

HHL
06-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Hey Kholi! I know you must be VERY BUSY. (I know that I am...) So if you are TOTALLY unable to perform this request, I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND.

...you saw this workflow?

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2035353&postcount=9

I'm curious if this REALLY IS a break through. (I'm not counting on it, but...it looked SO CLEAN) If possible could you process/export YOUR FOOTY the same way....we could compare the vids on Vimeo and we'd know if we really have a better way to process footy for online distribution.

If this is a dumb idea, or if you're just not able to I completely understand! YOU DA MAN!

Kholi
06-30-2010, 08:56 PM
ACtually, I was just about to do this. I want to see if'n it works.

HHL
06-30-2010, 09:01 PM
ACtually, I was just about to do this. I want to see if'n it works.

Every holy item in my house is aiming straight at you. I'm praying to the Universal Holiness that this *ADDS* to our already FREAKIN incredible break throughs over the past 4 weeks.

THANKS A MILLION KHOLI! Whether it works or not....thanks for the test.

Kholi
06-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Haha. exporting now. This is one of those times when I wished my little Netbook had a quad core!

In the future, though.

It's going to take an hour or so then I'll check the video. If it looks okay I'll upload to vimeo.

Must upgrade to new netbook now, i7 is calling me.

Rolly
07-01-2010, 04:57 AM
I'm curious to know how it turn out

For Mercury playback engine (CS5) I have an Nvidia GTX 285, 1:30 minutes of footage took about 2 minutes for exporting with these settings... the Mercury playback engine with a supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration is amazing.

jpbankesmercer
07-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Great looking/ scripted shorts Kholi.

Bulocan
07-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi Kholi,

Thanks to him we learned Rolly's film mode settings. What was yours when you shot the footage in the first page? (standart? sharpness, NR etc.)

Thanks

Nityananda_SCSMath
07-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Kholi I'm just curiuos to know how much you paid for the Cooke S4i 12/T2.1 and 50/T2.1

I assume you rented just those two for one day, how much did that cost?

yabyum
07-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Kholi I'm just curiuos to know how much you paid for the Cooke S4i 12/T2.1 and 50/T2.1

Yep, I'm curious too. 5 seconds after watching the first video I knew I wanted one. Just an incredible look for the GH1, wow. And so usable too.

Where can you buy this lens?

OKAY, lol not gonna happen. Just found this thread: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6965

"COOKE S4i 35mm/Super 35mm, 12mm Prime lens T2.0 PL MT
$30,100 USD"

:Drogar-Shock(DBG):

Kegan
07-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Beautiful footage and awesome shorts Kholi! Fantastic work as always.

Kegan

Blackout
07-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Very nice... I also get ice results on 100, 20, & 320 iso but my 400 causes the dreaded 'line streaks' and with the hack installed it's even more noticeable cause it's so clear.

Nityananda_SCSMath
07-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Yep, I'm curious too. 5 seconds after watching the first video I knew I wanted one. Just an incredible look for the GH1, wow. And so usable too.

OKAY, lol not gonna happen. Just found this thread: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6965

$30,100 USD"

Yeah, I know. I'm not planning on buying one, but I think you can rent the full set for like $500 a day.

So what I want to know is how much Kholi paid, and if he had to rent the whole set or if you can just rent one or two and how much that costs.

Maybe kind of private info, but we don't have to know who the rental house is.

$30,000 is out of budget but $200-$300 for renting two or three for a day is potentially a worth-while expense if the shoot is important enough.

Know what I'm shayin??:happy:

Kholi
07-07-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm curious to know how it turn out

For Mercury playback engine (CS5) I have an Nvidia GTX 285, 1:30 minutes of footage took about 2 minutes for exporting with these settings... the Mercury playback engine with a supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration is amazing.

I need that. CS5 is a great program, knowing that the Mercury Playback Engine helps this out is something I need to look into immediately.

I tried exporting with your settings, didn't see a major improvement which means your source footage is just insanely right. You've convinced me to look into FD glass asap. Loving the look so much.

Also, you've convinced me to try and use less ND and stop down a little further. I also want to experiment with your AVCHD settings, pushing it up to 70M might also result in such a sharp, clean and clear image.

Thanks for sharing all of that information, it's been taken to mind.

Kholi
07-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi Kholi,

Thanks to him we learned Rolly's film mode settings. What was yours when you shot the footage in the first page? (standart? sharpness, NR etc.)

Thanks

From the advice here on the forums:

SMOOTH with everything dialed down to -2. That's typically how I shoot in general.

I may try Nostalgic with iExposure and I will try Rolly's settings as well.

Kholi
07-07-2010, 12:33 PM

$30,100 USD"

Yeah, I know. I'm not planning on buying one, but I think you can rent the full set for like $500 a day.

So what I want to know is how much Kholi paid, and if he had to rent the whole set or if you can just rent one or two and how much that costs.

Maybe kind of private info, but we don't have to know who the rental house is.

$30,000 is out of budget but $200-$300 for renting two or three for a day is potentially a worth-while expense if the shoot is important enough.

Know what I'm shayin??:happy:

I did rent the pair. You can rent lenses separately from most houses, should cost you about 150/day per lens. Full sets of Cookes go for 600+.

Indeed, that's expensive glass! It's worth it, though. A different look that I'm digging.

Worth the rental money, like said above, if the project is worth the effort. A clip on mattebox and the Hot Rod PL mount setup really makes this entire setup shine bright. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be shooting with the combo again in a few days, so long as I can swing the rental money for the lenses etc.

Going to try to shoot with less glass in front of the lens, use the iris and keep up at 200 ISO instead of 320. See what the results are.

Kholi
07-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Great looking/ scripted shorts Kholi.

Beautiful footage and awesome shorts Kholi! Fantastic work as always.

Kegan

Thanks a lot, guys. Greatly appreciated. More coming asap!

Kholi
07-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Very nice... I also get ice results on 100, 20, & 320 iso but my 400 causes the dreaded 'line streaks' and with the hack installed it's even more noticeable cause it's so clear.

I actually don't see much up until 640ISO. Beyond that, I get weary, that just means I need to make sure I've always got enough light to shoot at 200 - 320 ISO.

No big deal. Be better for it. Anything more is RED MX territory, which I'll actually have to do for a major project soon.

Nityananda_SCSMath
07-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all the info Kholi, and again congrats on the beautiful picture on those shorts..

F/VESCO
07-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I did rent the pair. You can rent lenses separately from most houses, should cost you about 150/day per lens. Full sets of Cookes go for 600+.

Yeap. Going rate is $150/lens per day. 150mm and 180mm are usually a bit more.

Kholi
08-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Yeap. Going rate is $150/lens per day. 150mm and 180mm are usually a bit more.

Yes Sir. (Super late response)

It's good to establish a relationship with rental houses! The materials available are great.

Kholi
08-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks for all the info Kholi, and again congrats on the beautiful picture on those shorts..

No problem and thanks a lot for your compliments and viewing.

Somehow I forgot about this thread!