PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions - 1) 24p and 2) Color Sampling

emjoyner
06-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Novice shooter here, installed the hack on a GH1 this evening. Checked two options that I am now wondering if I should have left unchecked. Wanted to get some advice. As info, I am using basic editing tools (FCE or iMovie) for now, may upgrade to FCS as I learn more.

Setting I used:

AVCHD -

1) 24p checked or no?

I checked this as the option, but now I'm wondering if I should have left it unchecked. I checked it b/c I hate the pulldown workflow (have Neoscene, but it takes a long time for clips to be processed). But, if this setting has a negative impact on quality I'll use Neoscene.

My AVCHD settings were from the Stable Setting page:

AVCHD STABLE SETTINGS FOR 1080PC Settings:-Video bitrate adjustment - c)40000000 (Adjusted for FHD/SH Only, did not change H and L)
-Overall bitrate adjustment - c)46000000
-Limiting bitrate adjustment - c)50000000

2) Enable 420-> 422 Color Sampling checked or no?

I'll be honest and say I don't really know the difference. I read a few threads and it appeared that 422 was a good thing, but I'm thinking that may only be for a particular workflow. Does having it checked hurt quality if I don't have the proper tools:

Motion Jpegs settings if needed (Also from Stable Settings)

QUALITY SETTINGS [ 384, 330, 300, 276 ]
TABLE SETTINGS [ 24, 24, 24, 24 ]
This mode give you a glorious 720P at a very high bit rate.

Thanks for the help.

Oedipax
06-26-2010, 03:31 AM
1) 24p has a positive effect on quality, but a negative effect on stability depending on the level of detail in your shot and the bitrate settings you're using for AVCHD. In many circumstances you'll likely be fine with 24p checked; when there are problems you'll get write speed errors and the clip up to that point is lost, plus you have to either turn off your camera or pull the battery if turning it off doesn't work.

2) 422 records more color information than 420, however you may not experience much of a visual difference unless you are doing heavy color correction or shooting on a greenscreen. Again, having 422 color sampling enabled will increase quality and decrease stability, so only use it if you really need it and are prepared for occasional errors.

emjoyner
06-26-2010, 04:53 AM
Thank you for the response. Sounds like as long as the camera records fine then there is no issue in having these checked.

Really appreciate the help.