PDA

View Full Version : Hacked GH1 for live events?

Beernardo
06-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi I'm the owner of a couple of unhacked GH1's and I was wondering if someone here has dare to shoot a live event with the hacked software? even with a not so high bitrate.

I haven't hacked mine because I wouldn't want to take a risk when shooting a wedding and loose a big clip of footage due to a crash :violin:. So I would like to hear some experiences of people doing live events (if there are any) or any warnings or suggestions from experienced hack testers before I dare to do it myself.

Thanks for your replies!

ATL Media Group
06-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi I'm the owner of a couple of unhacked GH1's and I was wondering if someone here has dare to shoot a live event with the hacked software? even with a not so high bitrate.

I haven't hacked mine because I wouldn't want to take a risk when shooting a wedding and loose a big clip of footage due to a crash :violin:. So I would like to hear some experiences of people doing live events (if there are any) or any warnings or suggestions from experienced hack testers before I dare to do it myself.

Thanks for your replies!

I'll reply tomorrow with results...
I've done a lot of testing for my shoot tomorrow, and to get stable as a rock settings for long tripod shots I had to go with settings between "a" and "b" with native 24p unchecked. I'm getting little to no mud, and very stable repeatable shots that look better than stock 1080p footage.
I won't be done until 11PM tomorrow so it may be late, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Beernardo
06-25-2010, 08:34 PM
I would REALLY appreciate your feedback on this, I have an event on July 3th on which I think I'll go with the original firmware because I don't have enough time to run tests. But I'll defenitely will try to hack it for the event a couple of weeks after this upcoming one.

What kind of event will you do? For weddings we run two cameras on tripods and stabilizers when moving. We need at least 40 to 60 min of continuous shooting for the ceremony and some other moments on the reception.

It will also be cool to know what other equipment are you taking with you, specially the cards. I have a "SanDisk 16GB Video HD SDHC Class 6" and a "SanDisk 16GB Extreme Class 10 High Performance".

Thanks!

jamesjjs
06-25-2010, 08:44 PM
I've shot a wedding - on 720p, no problems - with a Sandisk Ultra rated class 4, using the C settings.

Just yesterday I shot a seminar in a dimly lit auditorium - first segment was one hour and twenty minutes, second segment was just over an hour. I was shooting with zoom h4n, sennheiser ew100 g2 wireless (hooked up to the presenter) and a rode videomic - all devices fed into the zoom h4n, and then line out (through the headphone jack) into the GH1 mic port (you can achieve "good enough" recorded GH1 sound if you set the headphone level to around 40).

Again, using the Sandisk Ultra card - after about 19 minutes, the camera froze in the middle off a slow, creeping zoom - and then the dreaded warning " camera stop recording due slow card writing" (or something like that - can't remember exact words). Had to switch off of camera and restart. This happened a couple of times.

The last segment of the shoot, I used back the original settings - of course I had no problems.

So I speculate:

1. Card may be too slow to handle creeping zoom
2. Recording sound into the GH1 may add to CPU processing, thus causing the freeze
3. Any number of combinations including low light, kit lens struggling to keep focus....

So my advice after this experience?

1. Get a fast card ( I just got a Sandisk Extreme)
2. Have the original firmware on another sd card and reload if you run into problems

Hope this helps (oh, my camera settings - 720P, Smooth (sharpness +1, nr -2, the rest at 0), shutter 1/30, ISO 800). My tester13 hack settings - 40,50,52,60 otherwise known as c settings, GOP - 5.

jamesjjs
06-25-2010, 08:50 PM
I forgot to mention, the clips that froze can be recovered! I have windows 7 and when I inserted sdcard, it asked if I want to scan and fix problems - after running that, I managed to recover my files! Thank God.... so I suppose you could run a chkdsk /r /f if you run into file problems.

ATL Media Group
06-25-2010, 08:59 PM
I did a load of tests with the C settings as well and although it looked GREAT, it did freeze or stop with a card speed error like you mentioned a few times, so I kept testing with lower and lower bitrate settings until I found some settings between "a" and "b" that looked good and didn't freeze the cam at all.

I have a wedding at Chateau Elan winery here in GA tomorrow... I'll post results.

I'm keeping a couple of cards with settings for different situations so I can load 'em up real quick if I want. I probably will stick to the "a-b" settings tho as stability is my priority.

ETA... What I've come away with from this GH1 hack.... I'm saving up for the AF100! Man, that's gonna be SWEET!

mpgxsvcd
06-25-2010, 09:16 PM
I shot my son's rock climbing competition with a hacked GF1. I wasn't getting paid for it but it was probably more important to me than if I was getting paid. It never failed for me even though I was shooting high bit rate 1080p MJPEG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F4RdrlQ9PA

jakobim
06-25-2010, 09:23 PM
your Son Owns !!. :Drogar-Mark-10(DBG)

I shot my son's rock climbing competition with a hacked GF1. I wasn't getting paid for it but it was probably more important to me than if I was getting paid. It never failed for me even though I was shooting high bit rate 1080p MJPEG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F4RdrlQ9PA

jimmiesner
06-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Any updates on your live events guys? How did the weddings go with the hack?

cbrandin
06-29-2010, 05:12 PM
The 720p mode stresses the camera considerably more than the wrapped 1080p AVCHD mode, so it isn't surprising that it fails every now and then. The "C" settings are very stable for me in 1080 mode, the 720p - not so much. I'm using Transcend class 10 cards. Of course, this is with Native 24p mode not checked.

Chris

anthonybsd
06-29-2010, 05:45 PM
I've recorded a few concerts with "D" settings 1080/24p (native). Will record another one this week. So far I haven't had any problems. As long as none of the performers look like Pappas star chart I think I will be OK.

Beernardo
06-29-2010, 07:02 PM
@ATL. Iím also excited about this new micro 4/3 sensor camcorder, a bit pricey at around $6,000 USD but it saves a lot of the hassle to hang up all of these accessories to the GH1 and keep under control, turning off/on the gadgets, checking batteries, be ready with new batteries, etc.

@mpgxsvcd. Congratulations on your sonís competitions, so no safety rope or nothing? amazing, I feel like a wuss now, (I donít know nothing about rock climbing) What SD card were you using?

@jamesjjs. Thanks for letting us know your experience. Which lenses did you used at the wedding? The original firmware copy on another SD card is a very good backup plan. About the files recovering, this software is very good as well http://www.piriform.com/recuva.

@cbrandin. I would have thought the 720p mode will stress the camera less because of the smaller resolution, but then again, you are recording 60 frames a second there.

Canít wait to hear back from ATL about his event experience. Although mine wonít be with the hacked firmware yet, youíll hear about it next week.

FYI, here's a more detailed list of my setup on both cameras for use at weddings:

- GH1 and Kit lens
- 20mm 1.7 lens
- Two Panasonic DMW-BLB13 batteries
- Black Bird Stabilizer
- Merlin's Arm and Vest (without the Merlin)
- Zoom H4N (with 4GB Sandisk Class 6 SD card) on one camera (waiting for the new more compact Zoom H1 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/699403-REG/Zoom_H1_H1_Ultra_Portable_Digital_Audio.html#featu res)for the second camera)
- 1 San Disk 16GB Class 10 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HFER6O/ref=oss_product) & 1 San Disk 16GB Class 6 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/573894-REG/SanDisk_SDSDHV_016G_A15_16GB_Video_HD_SDHC.html#fe atures)
- Audio-Technica ATR6550 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664440-REG/Audio_Technica_ATR6550_ATR6550_Condenser_Shotgun_M icrophone.html#reviews)connected to the H4N using a Monster XLR Male to 1/4" (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469422-REG/Monster_Cable_600457_CableLinks_Adapter_XLR.html)a dapter, this allows me to capture two channels of audio with the H4N, one is the built in Mic and the second the shotgun mic.
-Rotolight RL48-A (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=684949&is=REG&si=rev#reviews)
-All these will be supported on a The CineCity rod system (http://thecinecity.com/tcc/product.php?productid=73&cat=269&page=1) and CPM Film Tools Struts (http://www.cpmfilmtools.com/Carbon_Rail_cage_p/uni-1.htm) to form a cage. (I'm still waiting for these to arrive :S )

butler360
06-29-2010, 11:36 PM
As long as none of the performers look like Pappas star chart I think I will be OK.

Stay away from Insane Clown Posse then.

anthonybsd
06-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Stay away from Insane Clown Posse then.
Somehow, I doubt I'll be able to keep those guys in perfect focus required for the codec overload...

Speaking of live events:

I'm pretty amazed how much better hacked GH1 responds to color changes in post - even without 4:2:2 MJPEG. Before I'd only dare to touch it in Color and mostly for brightness/contrast and skin tones here and there and that's it. Now if the shot is exposed properly (slightly overexposed) I can pretty much throw any MB look at it and leave it alone. It allows me to be exceptionally lazy. Lazy Anthony = happy Anthony.

Beernardo
06-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Can't see the embedded video, do you have the vimeo link?

jakobim
06-30-2010, 02:08 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/12964180

Beernardo
06-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks!

Beernardo
06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
(http://www.vimeo.com/12964180)http://www.vimeo.com/12964180 Great footage Anthon, which lens was that?

jimmiesner
06-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Wow great stuff. I am so torn about using tester13. Really really really want to try it, but have to many weddings this month, and even a one percent increased chance of malfunction is to high for me. Can you install it, but switch between the panasonic firmware and the hacked firmware?

ATL Media Group
06-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Okay... Finished up, and I'm nearly done editing the raw footage in CS5. I wanted to have a good look at it while editing before I commented.

Stability: 10
Image quality: 10

I used slightly lower than "c" settings.
H: 40
L: 40
Overall: 45
Limiting: 50

Native: NO

Not a single crash ion a bright sunny day with kit lens in AF mode for ceremony. I filled 2 16GB Patrot LX class 10 cards without issue!
After pixel peeping.. I can't see ANY mud or artifacts at all.
Very sweet! Now to upgrade my video card to a GTX260 and hack the premiere pro cs5 text file to make it work with the mercury engine!

SWEET... Go for it!

Beernardo
06-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks for your feedback ATL, I appreciate it, do you have a sneak peek footage? I may grow a pair and hack the GH1 before this weekend, if not, I will for the following wedding for sure.

How long was the longest clip you were able to record during the ceremony?
Also, how many times did you changed the batteries?

Ben_B
06-30-2010, 05:48 PM
I've used it for some ENG b-roll for the web that is cut together with some HVX footage. Looks great. What's your final output?

ATL Media Group
06-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks for your feedback ATL, I appreciate it, do you have a sneak peek footage? I may grow a pair and hack the GH1 before this weekend, if not, I will for the following wedding for sure.

How long was the longest clip you were able to record during the ceremony?
Also, how many times did you changed the batteries?

Encoding one now..

Longest clip.. 48 minutes
One battery change.

ajcourtney
06-30-2010, 08:16 PM
^^^did that 48 mins fill your 16GB card?

ATL Media Group
06-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Yes... I changed it before full, but as I recall it was pretty dang close to full when I dumped it to my raid.

anthonybsd
06-30-2010, 09:57 PM
[URL="http://www.vimeo.com/12964180"] Great footage Anthon, which lens was that?

Grgrgrg, if memory serves me right it was Kiron FD 28mm f/2.0. I'm poor, so cheap Canon FD primes is pretty much all I can afford to use.

anthonybsd
06-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Wow great stuff. I am so torn about using tester13. Really really really want to try it, but have to many weddings this month, and even a one percent increased chance of malfunction is to high for me. Can you install it, but switch between the panasonic firmware and the hacked firmware?
Is this your only cam body, and does your bread and butter depend on it to large extent? Then don't you screw with it. But if it's something like creative wedding reel and you can have a cheapo HV30 on the side just to back it up for intercuts then perhaps. I'm a hobbyist and if GH1/13 were part of my day job I'd be poor so I feel like I can experiment.

Ozpeter
07-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Re swapping Ptool versions in the field - you can use what I call the "two card trick", whereby apart from the cards you are shooting with, you have a couple of low capacity cards with nothing on them except one firmware version on each.

The two card trick would normally be used with Ptool settings all disabled - except for "version compare" - on one card, and the other card with the higher bitrate settings (etc, whatever you choose).

Or, one card has very safe settings, and the other card has the settings you are hoping will be better but which might be riskier.

Then you can take out the shooting card, and use one of these firmware cards as you wish, then put back the shooting card and carry on.

You could take a "Ptooled" card, and a standard firmware card, but once you've reinstalled the standard firmware you won't be able to use the Ptooled card unless it used version increment as well as version compare - because the standard firmware won't allow firmware upgrade unless the version increment is positive.

Do not try this stuff other than under circumstances where the end result does not matter. Having played with in that way and ensured you know what will happen when you "hot swap" firmware versions in the way I have described, then you can be confident in using it in the field.

Camera Expert
07-01-2010, 10:03 PM
This thread is interesting to me. A couple of times I've shot a concert with an HVX200A on a tripod and my GH1 in my hands using the 720 60p mode (Why I used that mode for a concert is irreverent).

I had to update my Production Premium CS4 to CS5 because I wanted the extra stability even though my laptop has an ATI card and the good news is that I can edit clips from my GH1 and the HVX200A together with full quality a little bit better than before. Because of the fortune that I spent to do that, I choose not to get a Sandisk 32GB class 10 card but about a week from now, I might be willing to try out the firmware and finally buy that card. The price for that card is no joke at all!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/696651-REG/SanDisk__EXTREME_SDHC_CLASS_10.html. With all the extra business Sandisk is getting from us, they should offer DVX users a huge discount. I'm serious!

Is their anybody who shot a concert or a similar event in 720 60p for around an hour straight who's card did not stop writing using one of the higher bit rate settings?

I know I can pause in between every song but it would be nice to have it as 1 continues take so that I wouldn't need to match the audio that much. I know it's easy but still a little time consuming.

At least the HVX200A will still record any part in which the card stopped writing for several seconds but I would prefer to not be in front of the camera when that happens and be in the music video. I also know that I'd be able to put some B-Roll in that part but the shot I was recording could have been excellent.

maxminoia
07-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Hi, I shot some testing videos at 720 50p with 50,52,60 settings. I tried with Transcend 16GB and 32GB class 6 cards and recording fails in the file splitting moment (4,29GB), the recorded file was unreadable, then I tried with Panny gold 16GB class 6 and 10 cards and everything worked fine, with almost static subject (camera on tripod pointed to the street) I made a continuos 2h15min (!) recording on a 16GB card, so, I will stay with Panasonic cards for safe long shots. Shooting fast moving objects will reduce recording time to 1h20/1h40min, shooting a continuos fast wild pan will reduce recording time to 48/50min (16GB card), sorry for my bad english.

rjk2000
07-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Re swapping Ptool versions in the field - Excellent Stuff deleted

Ozpeter makes great points. One additional thing to keep in mind though, is that the camera will not allow you to install any firmware if the battery is low (or in my case 1/2 full). At least that's what happened to me. I was shooting on safe settings, and decided to go C settings, but the camera said that I needed a fully charged battery. I had to wait until I recharged the battery to switch out the firmware. If you can, have one fully charged battery ready, and use it ONLY to switch out firmware.

And whatever you do, don't use the AC adapter to install firmware. One bad signal, one interrupted flow while installing the firmware, and you could end up with a brick instead of a camera.

jimmiesner
07-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Ive got two GH1's. Use both during the ceremony, but the rest of the night I just go with one for the reception events. Right now it is becoming my main bread and butters, so am going to hold off for a little. Still very tempted.

swyzlstyx
07-07-2010, 12:24 PM
FWIW

I just plugged in the AC adapter, and let my GH1 roll. I'm using the C settings for bit rate (ptool 3.37 I think), and 24pN. It was dark and the footage seemed to be averaging around 25Mbps in VLC player.

I'm using a 32gb Sandisk Ultra II class 4 card.

When the recording reached 3.99gb, it failed to automatically start a new file like it usually does.

At 3.99gb, I think it recorded about 20 minutes of video.

The video could not be played back in camera, which it normally can for me with 24pN and C settings. It did play in VLC player, however.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning for those wanting to use the hack for event use. Personally, I wouldn't attempt it at this point. Plus, it's kind of nice being able to record 4 hours of video without fiddling with changing cards...and risking losing one. ;)

Beernardo
07-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Here's a brief report from last weekend wedding, I used my two GH1's (NOT HACKED) and it sure is harder than just grab your fX1 or PD170 and shoot, a lot of stuff to look out for. So for now I don't think I'll hack the cameras until we feel comfortable doing it. The original firmware backup on an SD card is a good tip, but I still feel it is too much of a risk, I can't imagine the brides' father giving the speech and I configuring the camera in a corner somewhere.

I'll give more details about my experience soon.

Beernardo
08-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Ok, we've shot three weddings using the unhacked GH1's, but at one of the weddings during the ceremony on a very dark church we experienced mud at its best, there was a stone wall that looks awful in the footage, so we decided to hack the cameras for the next wedding.

@ATLMediaGroup, would you mind explaining here how did you hack your camera? I used Ptool V.40d with the C settings, loaded the hacked firmware on to the camera but I see no difference in the recorded footage. I get an average of 2.071MBytes/sec (vegas says so)

This is how this version of PTool looks like:
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/62774/1281384552.jpg

Thanks!

Oedipax
08-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Shot a friend's wedding ceremony with the 40mbps "reliable" settings and the 14-140 kit lens this past weekend, no issues. After the ceremony was over, I flashed it again with higher/riskier bitrate settings for the reception but I never came across any write speed errors. Used an 8gb Class 10 Sandisk Extreme.

Still not a great low light camera, my copy of the GH1 isn't anyway (banding). The 5D and Canon 85mm f1.2 lens really shone for low light inside.

Lpowell
08-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Shot a friend's wedding ceremony with the 40mbps "reliable" settings and the 14-140 kit lens this past weekend, no issues.
Good to hear you had no problems using my Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch, Oedipax. Here's a link to the patch's PTool settings file download page for those interested in trying it out:

http://dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2039780&postcount=5

rmk
08-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Beernardo, I just experienced the same thing. Hacked my GH1 for the first time using 3.40d, modified bit rates according to recommendations I found (around 40000000) and shot some low-light footage (this is where the low bit rate hurt the most in previous projects) but only got clips of between 8 and 13 Mbits/sec which exhibit the same problems as without the patch.

Please post if you resolve this.

Beernardo
08-09-2010, 05:09 PM
RMK I'll run some tests with the lpowell's file and let you know if I succeeded (I'll try not to post too much about this issue in order to keep the subject on track :) )

Beernardo
08-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Ok, I ran some tests with lpowell's settings and I still didn't notice any mud reduction.

I then changed the following settings:

Video Bitrate FHD/SH: 50,000,000
Video Bitrate H: 50,000,000
Video Bitrate L: 50,000,000
Overall Bitrate: 70,000,000

...and recorded two 1min. clips on a very dark scene, I used two GH1's, one hacked and the other one with the original firmware, both with the same lens and camera settings.

I don't see any mud improvement or difference between them, I may be doing something wrong during the Ptool preparation, or perhaps I need to run some tests on a scene with foliage?

The only differences I saw is that on "MediaInfo" the unhacked mts file overall bitrate is 13.8Mbps and Maximum Overall Bitrate is 18Mbps, when on the hacked mts file it reads 16.1Mbps and 70Mbps. Also the unhacked file size is 102MB and the hacked file is 120MB. Weird thing is that Sony Vegas 9 says that both files have an average 2.071Mbps bitrate.

http://vimeo.com/14020652

pass: t35t

I modified the color curves to bring up the worst of the footage, the original one is very very dark.

(My apologies for the focusing issues)

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-09-2010, 09:26 PM
You just do not get how GH1 encoder works.

It looks like it have fixed quantization matrixes. And can only reduce overall bitrate up to the certain point (by multiply matrix cooficients to some number).
So, if you are shooting low detailed scene it need to raise bitrate, but it just do not have such logic implemented. Why? Because it is not an easy task. If you raise quality to good levels and suddenly details in frame go up you'll get bitrate overflow error. because you can't know detaild before compression. and you don't have resources to recompress too detailed scene.

rmk
08-09-2010, 11:12 PM
OK, so does that mean that the only way one can get the best out of low-light/low-detail shots is to have a separate firmware version with super-high bitrate settings which would probably freeze on high-detail motives and then change the firmware depending on the motive?

timbook2
08-09-2010, 11:37 PM
I used the c settings in 720p on class 6 cards and it was broadcast in tv ...no problems!

Lpowell
08-10-2010, 12:13 AM
OK, so does that mean that the only way one can get the best out of low-light/low-detail shots is to have a separate firmware version with super-high bitrate settings which would probably freeze on high-detail motives and then change the firmware depending on the motive?
For low-light scenes, I'd suggest trying MJPEG @ 720p. Even at a 35Mbps bitrate for in-camera playback, MJPEG does quite well:
http://dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2036744&postcount=3

rmk
08-10-2010, 12:58 AM
For low-light scenes, I'd suggest trying MJPEG @ 720p. Even at a 35Mbps bitrate for in-camera playback, MJPEG does quite well:

This looks really nice! I'd be more than happy with that quality. Will try it once I get home. Thanks!

svecher
08-10-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't see any mud improvement or difference between them, I may be doing something wrong during the Ptool preparation, or perhaps I need to run some tests on a scene with foliage?
http://vimeo.com/14020652 (http://www.vimeo.com/14020652)

In this test shot you will not see any "mud improvement", because there is no mud present :) The scene has low enough detail for stock encoder to not exhibit the mud problem. The only issue I see is significant underexposure. There was a thread, which I can't find quickly, that showed how well does MJPEG 4:2:2 mode deal with +3EV adjustment.

If you want to see mud, pan at moderate speed across a field of flowers or foliage or any other high detail scene.

Rockroadpix
08-10-2010, 10:01 AM

major stress test- ignore the sound, I was aiming for vid quality plus, I was in the pit next to the pa.

Beernardo
08-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks Svecher, I'll change my testing scene and run another comparison with those same settings.

I underexposed the video on purpose because that's how I experienced the presence of mud during the wedding ceremony. Regarding the MJPEG mode, after reading this post I decided to stick to AVCHD http://www.eoshd.com/content/260-High-ISO-GH1-AVCHD-vs-MJPEG

Beernardo
08-10-2010, 11:48 AM

But what happens when you try to color correct it? does it brings out some mode? I need to have some settings that will let me do some color grading

Beernardo
08-10-2010, 11:53 AM

major stress test- ignore the sound, I was aiming for vid quality plus, I was in the pit next to the pa.

Very nice footage, did you have to do any color grading? if not, how do you think it will handle it? will it bring out some compression artifacts which we are not seeing in the out of the camera footage?

Lpowell
08-10-2010, 12:17 PM
But what happens when you try to color correct [MJPEG 720p video]? does it brings out some mode? I need to have some settings that will let me do some color grading
The MJPEG settings in my Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch record 720p in 4:2:2 color depth, the same color resolution as ProRes 422, but limited to 8 bits of precision. This will produce better color grading results than AVCHD, which only supports 4:2:0 color. I've also found that the GH1's MJPEG encoder maintains higher bitrates under low-light conditions than the AVCHD encoder.

It's important to fine-tune the color temperature and color correction as much as possible in-camera, rather than in post. The sensor has a raw 12-bit Bayer output and the camera's spectral equalization is very good when properly tweaked. Since the encoded output data is at best 8-bit resolution, you don't want to have to push it any farther than necessary.

Beernardo
08-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks LPowell, I'll try your MJPEG settings and report back

Beernardo
08-10-2010, 12:56 PM
The MJPEG settings in my Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch record 720p in 4:2:2 color depth, the same color resolution as ProRes 422, but limited to 8 bits of precision. This will produce better color grading results than AVCHD, which only supports 4:2:0 color. I've also found that the GH1's MJPEG encoder maintains higher bitrates under low-light conditions than the AVCHD encoder.

It's important to fine-tune the color temperature and color correction as much as possible in-camera, rather than in post. The sensor has a raw 12-bit Bayer output and the camera's spectral equalization is very good when properly tweaked. Since the encoded output data is at best 8-bit resolution, you don't want to have to push it any farther than necessary.

What's the longest you've been able to record with your MJPEG settings without crashing the camera? This guy says he haven't found a safe settings for MJPEG yet:
"I've still not found a flavour of MJPEG that doesn't occasionally crash the camera though" (http://www.dvxuser.com/content/260-High-ISO-GH1-AVCHD-vs-MJPEG (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/../content/260-High-ISO-GH1-AVCHD-vs-MJPEG))

Lpowell
08-10-2010, 01:54 PM
What's the longest you've been able to record with your MJPEG settings without crashing the camera?
I first published the settings for my 35Mbps MJPEG In-Camera Playback Patch two months ago:
http://dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=215624

This same MJPEG patch has also been distributed in MarekV's Perfect Project:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=216063

So far, I haven't seen any reports of MJPEG recording failures on Class 6 or higher SD cards that were attributable to this patch. Since it's designed for reliable in-camera playback, the patch's 37Mbps maximum bitrate is significantly lower than the maximum bitrates than can be used to record MJPEG videos (50-100Mbps max).

When recording MJPEG videos, the maximum file length limit is only 2GB. On an unhacked GH1, this is long enough for about 8 minutes of 720p video. The 30-35Mbps MJPEG videos I've recorded can run up to about 5 minutes. The camera does not crash when it hits the 2GB file size limit, it simply stops recording.

Rockroadpix
08-17-2010, 07:34 AM
No color grading, yet. That was the raw footage. grading to happen this week. Sorry for the late reply. I think it will handle it pretty well.
& Thanks!

dirkmm
08-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I've done three (3) weddings (indoor and outdoor) using the 'C' settings on the latest PTool without issue. I've only shot in 1080p24 (no native 24p hack). But, I've had the cameras run for 40 minutes straight without issue. This is on a cheapo Transcend Class 6 16GB card.

I did have one problem where an exceptionally long clip (about 45 minutes) was not able to be played back in-camera for some reason, but it worked fine in Final Cut.

Beernardo
08-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I've done three (3) weddings (indoor and outdoor) using the 'C' settings on the latest PTool without issue. I've only shot in 1080p24 (no native 24p hack). But, I've had the cameras run for 40 minutes straight without issue. This is on a cheapo Transcend Class 6 16GB card.

I did have one problem where an exceptionally long clip (about 45 minutes) was not able to be played back in-camera for some reason, but it worked fine in Final Cut.

You are the first person I've read about that didn't have any problem using the C settings. What's the average mbit/s you got with those settings? Also, how much recording time can you fit into a 16gb card? Without the hack I can fit almost 2 hours of footage.

Lindenberg
08-18-2010, 09:46 AM
When using my SanDisk VideoHD Class 6 card with the B setting I get an error after 4gb of data has been written to the card. In between the A and B settings at A.5 everything works perfectly. Looks like I need to get some faster cards.

dirkmm
08-19-2010, 07:30 AM
You are the first person I've read about that didn't have any problem using the C settings. What's the average mbit/s you got with those settings? Also, how much recording time can you fit into a 16gb card? Without the hack I can fit almost 2 hours of footage.

Average seems to hover in the low 30s. I've seen it spike high enough to give me a card write error, but that was only on a filler shot of a bouquet of flowers. The last indoor wedding I did only had average around 22, but that's expected as there isn't a lot of changing detail in a semi-controlled situation like that.

I've been finding I can get an hour, maybe a bit more depending on detail level, with those settings on the card. Again, with AVCHD it will just depend on how detailed/changing the scene is. If you were able to max the bitrate out, you'd only get 45 minutes of footage (if you didn't error out first).

Beernardo
08-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Average seems to hover in the low 30s. I've seen it spike high enough to give me a card write error, but that was only on a filler shot of a bouquet of flowers. The last indoor wedding I did only had average around 22, but that's expected as there isn't a lot of changing detail in a semi-controlled situation like that.

I've been finding I can get an hour, maybe a bit more depending on detail level, with those settings on the card. Again, with AVCHD it will just depend on how detailed/changing the scene is. If you were able to max the bitrate out, you'd only get 45 minutes of footage (if you didn't error out first).

That's some good information there Dirkmm. Indeed, there are not much changing scenarios during the ceremony, except for when the couple walks outside the church at the end of the ceremony, there's a los of contrast there, do you think it will mas up the bitrate?

iunknown
05-31-2011, 05:37 PM
Any updated info on this subject?

Beernardo
05-31-2011, 07:27 PM
The update is that we sold the GH1's and got a couple of GH2's and we just LOVE them! they have a more cinematic look (1080 @24p), we can shoot at ISO 3200 when needed and very cool new features for autofocusing via touch screen and the most importanto fo all, No Banding visible.

e-steve
06-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I recently shot a wedding with my GH13 using the high reliability patch -- 720p60. I had multiple card speed errors using my normally reliable Transcend Class 10 16gb card.
Previously, I've seen a rare case of card speed errors while still being able to use the video files. This time, unfortunately, I had maybe 3 or 4 card speed errors (outdoor, sunny, 85+ degrees). I'm not sure if it was the weather, but it was very hot out.

I lost a critical segment of video of the ceremony - maybe someone has had experience with this. The mts file is 2.96GB, and it plays for about 3 minutes, then crashes VLC. I can't even copy the MTS file to my computer without an error. I was able to create an image file usine Disk Utility, but that image also exhibit the same error when trying to copy that specific MTS file. The other mts files that had errors seem ok, but they are small files.

I tried a lot of different recovery programs, but nothing successful (on a mac... maybe I'll try a PC). When I ran a checkdsk /f on the card itself, it recovered more of the video, repaired the file system, but the resulting file was only like 250MB! So it seems like it just threw away a good portion of the file.

Just a word of warning, for those using the hack, you should have a backup camera. I did, but it was not the best angle... so I'm going to have to do some very good editing to mask the fact that I lost this footage.

Does anyone know of any software that might be able to parse through this video, and help me recover some of it? Maybe something that ignores errors?
Any suggestions are appreciated!

Beernardo
06-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Try photorec, it's better than recuva for handling hd video files. I' thinking on getting a Canon S95 or Sony HX9V (http://www.eoshd.com/content/2930/canon-600d-dslr-beaten-by-compact) point and shoot to attach to my rig and shoot a backup footage in case something may happen the the GH2's footage.

e-steve
06-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks Beernardo!

Funny thing is I had downloaded photorec and testdisk last week -- and I think I only tried testdisk and it didn't help. I tried multiple programs with no success... Amazingly, I just ran photorec, and the file that I lost was pretty much recovered. What a relief... while I still had hope, I had pretty much accepted the fact that I probably would have to mention to the client that I didn't catch some key moments.

Beernardo
06-07-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm really glad photorec worked on you. I lost an entire 16gb card full of footage but photorec only recovered files from months ago. Luckily we run a 2 camera setup. I recommend you upgrading to a GH2 if you are shooting weddings, you are going to love the look of the footage and how clean the video is at iso 3200 (life saver at dark receptions)

e-steve
06-07-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm debating on whether to wait on the GH3... but I would love to have a GH2 of course!

Thanks again. I'm amazed that I now have the footage I needed for my edit.

Beernardo
06-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Don't wait, just get the camera available at the moment and shoot. For the GH3 we still have to wait for the announcement, the relesae date and then the actual mass distribution.