PDA

View Full Version : Request: GH13 footage at 1600ISO

tylerrad
06-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Curious to see GH1 footage at 1600ISO after the hack (with a reasonably fast lens of course, f/2.8 or faster). Full 1080p screen-grabs preferred (or Vimeo un-recompressed footage). Any low-light situation you can contrive is fine: indoors, outdoors, both, whatever.

Comparisons to the 7D or T2i (at 1600ISO head-to-head, and with the Canons at 3200 and 6400) would also be excellent, but of course not absolutely necessary.

Also, what's the word on the GH1 "burn in" technique to reduce banding? Is this only applicable to the first run of GH1's, not the newer versions?

tylerrad
06-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Not to answer my own question, but here's a start: http://vimeo.com/12718346

Having downloaded the original XDCAM codec footage, I'm somewhat impressed. In areas with a lot of dark shadows, things seem to fall apart, but where the light is more even, it looks surprisingly good at 1600.

Still, I'd love to see more ISO 1600 stuff

Kholi
06-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Are you shooting for web or a large screen?

tylerrad
06-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Narrative project intended for large screen. At least a handful of shots where a lighting kit would be impossible to employ, hence the dilemma

timbook2
06-26-2010, 01:06 AM
footage looks much better in AVCHD! when you transcode do you use XDCAM? Why not PRORES? Any specific reasons?

tylerrad
06-27-2010, 01:18 AM
footage looks much better in AVCHD! when you transcode do you use XDCAM? Why not PRORES? Any specific reasons? Sorry if I wasn't clear in my above post, friend: that night-time footage at 1600 ISO is NOT mine. I don't own a GH1. I'm simply considering it -- and trying to do research. I found the above video on Vimeo and thought it was a useful example. Excellent looking footage, too. As far as I know, though, from Vimeo comments, etc, the uploader simply used the XDCAM codec for upload to Vimeo. I'm not sure which codec he edited with

MattinSTL
06-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Not to answer my own question, but here's a start: http://vimeo.com/12718346

Having downloaded the original XDCAM codec footage, I'm somewhat impressed. In areas with a lot of dark shadows, things seem to fall apart, but where the light is more even, it looks surprisingly good at 1600.

Still, I'd love to see more ISO 1600 stuff

I'd also like to see more low-light with the GH1... it's educational to see what's possible with specific lenses and settings.

One thing of note in the above clip, is the unique halo around "bare" lights... I was hoping the hack would change that. This is going to be a little oddity to keep in mind.

Aside from that I'd say that AVCHD is clearly superior... although I suspect MJPEG might be the answer for greenscreen(?)