PDA

View Full Version : Running someone over with a car?

Azmyth
06-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Anyone had to do it in any of their films? If so what method did you use?

ZazaCast
06-23-2010, 06:26 PM
This could be useful: http://www.youtube.com/user/filmriot#p/u/15/gWi-rVy49JE

Azmyth
06-23-2010, 06:35 PM
I watch film riot every thursday, already seen it.

I'd do it that way, but I'm wanting it to be from the driver's perspective up until he hits them... kinda like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvfbKzpzQUQ

Cassius
06-23-2010, 07:43 PM
The most important thing is to make sure no one is around who can identify you or your vehicle. That includes people looking out their windows, who you might not see. Now, that doesn't mean you have to track them down to a totally empty, dark street, you just have to be smart about it. Sunglasses, a hat, not shaving for a while, that can all help make you harder to ID later. A lot of people skip that because they want their victim to know who did it. You just have to choose your priorities, and if they insulted you enough to earn this they probably know already.

Also, if this is meant as a final action and not a notice, make sure you hit them with the tire when you go over. You want to hear two big bumps before you leave.

And if the cops ask, you've never heard of DVXUser.

Justin Kuhn
06-24-2010, 01:42 PM
^ lawls

Mister Stocks
06-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, in that one they used a dummy and hit it with a car. What I did when I hit a guy with a car from a shot inside the car is I hunkered down a bit and shot up through the windshield. The car was only going like 5 mph (if that, it was likely more like 2mph) and we had the guy stand there and jump onto the hood and roll off. We did have our make up woman with 911 on speed dial just in case.

It works because it is really hard to tell the speed of cars in a film.

Then I sped up the footage like five or ten percent in post, added sound effects, and bam. I also used an after effects exterior shot that you see so often. I just did up until the car hits him and cut to the interior shot looking out, then a reaction shot of the driver. It was actually quite simple after some planning.

Joe Calabrese
06-28-2010, 08:19 PM
http://videocopilot.net/tutorials/advanced_car_hit/

I haven't done this project, but I have followed their instructions on a similar tutorial and it was pretty easy. He walks you through it step by step.

deltoidjohn
07-04-2010, 04:55 AM
The Video Copilot tutorial above is definitely the best one I've seen for this technique.

As for the driver POV, the one you linked to looks life they've just dolly'd the camera towards him then sped it up in post. It works in this case because he is lying still. Doing it with a moving/walking actor is harder and you might have better results filming just the view through the windshield and then using a green screen for your actor and compositing him in. Just remember safety is the most important thing and should never ever drive a car towards your actor or stuntman no matter how safe or controlled you think it might be.

The trick with any technique to achieve this effect is to get the cuts fast enough that the viewer doesn't notice the flaws. Doing this you can quickly switch between a composited actor, a dummy and a stuntman. You can also use foreground action to momentarily distract the viewer from the person getting hit - eg have an over-the-shoulder view from inside the car where just before the hit the driver swerves the wheel and braces for the impact. And don't forget to give your viewer some credit - if you show a shot of the victim about to be run over, then a reaction shot of the driver on impact with a nice sound effect, the viewer can put 1+1 together. Then you can cut straight to the guy lying on the floor or whatever comes next without actually showing the guy getting hit.