PDA

View Full Version : Feature request: AE lock in movie mode

FlyingDutchman
06-22-2010, 02:54 AM
Hi there,

First of all - thanks a million for all your work so far, enjoying the results & experimenting every day, it's great!

Now regarding AE lock: I think, it would be very useful for me, to have this feature in movie mode - I don't know, if this actually needs to be adapted by the firmware hack, but I didn't find a way of activating this, while shooting...
Because IMO you really can't use this "front dial" wheel when shooting, it's just too noisy. If AE lock would work, one could film in S priority mode, with manual focus, and AE lock on - only now and then, when light changes during during a shot, release AE lock and lock it again, right afterwards...

Would this be difficult to build in? It surprises me somehow, why it isn't possible already, there's not really a good reason for disabling it in movie mode (apart from making more money with the next model, perhaps ;-)

Cheers, FD

Adventsam
06-22-2010, 06:41 AM
but at least its there, anyway did you think of a vari-Nd, this way you lock exposure as you say and then have the ability to tweak exposure as you go, much more smoothly, if you remember which way to turn the dial, LOL?

FlyingDutchman
06-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Well I did think of it, but didn't try / buy it yet... I'm using multiple ND filters (with this Cokin system), and I can't buy everything, have to watch my budget - I thought, probably many shots get "shaky" if you're adjusting stuff on the front side of the lens?
I mean it's rather unimportant, in respect to something like video out during shooting - but still, it's be practical and maybe it's also very easy to fix :-)

Lpowell
06-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Now regarding AE lock: I think, it would be very useful for me, to have this feature in movie mode
I just tried it to make sure, and yes, AE Lock does work on the GH1 in Movie Mode (except when you're in Manual Movie Mode). If it's not working for you, you may have set AF/AE Lock to Auto Focus only?

Adventsam
06-23-2010, 01:03 AM
Well I did think of it, but didn't try / buy it yet... I'm using multiple ND filters (with this Cokin system), and I can't buy everything, have to watch my budget - I thought, probably many shots get "shaky" if you're adjusting stuff on the front side of the lens?
I mean it's rather unimportant, in respect to something like video out during shooting - but still, it's be practical and maybe it's also very easy to fix :-)

In CMM settings aperture isnt stepless with the kit, so if you did have ae latchable in CMM the exposure will click as it changes? again it is a hassle to adjust at the front of the lense but it can be more subtle. If you lock exposure from any PASM settings you could have a workable latchable system! but the problem is there is that you cant be sure what the camera will do as its still a mystery what shutter it actually selects even if you ae lock! give the options a go but the vari-Nd is a great option and my 62mm was <60

FlyingDutchman
06-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Ok thanks for the feedback, I'll try some kind of vari-nd soon, you've convinced me :-)

aczelkri
06-29-2010, 04:03 PM
I just tried it to make sure, and yes, AE Lock does work on the GH1 in Movie Mode (except when you're in Manual Movie Mode). If it's not working for you, you may have set AF/AE Lock to Auto Focus only?

AE lock does not seem to work in movie mode. It works if I press it BEFORE I start recording, but after I pressed the red button, I cannot activate it. Am I missing something?

FlyingDutchman
07-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Right, you can switch it on - but it can't be switched on and off multiple times during filming (or to be exact, it can be switched off once, but not on again).

It's a real pity, filming with mpeg breaks down so fast, when the CPU of the cam is needed for the lens functions: for instance, when filming a wall which is bright on one side, and dark on the other, the result looks quite horrible with AVCHD and stepless aperture - also with a higher bitrate. I THINK it would be MUCH better with Mjpeg (and stepless aperture), but can't even test it - recording breaks down immediately.
I tested this with a transcend class 10 16GB card, standard settings: [Q: 384, 330, 300, 276; T: 24, 24, 24, 24] - and also with lower settings (Q: 256, 220, 200, 184; T: 5, 5, 5, 5).

A similar situation (which wasn't such a problem to record with Avchd though): I had the GH1 on a Merlin stabilizer, been filming indoors as well as outdoors; that doesn't work without AF. I didn't even try to use stepless aperture, exposure was on full manual. But I just can't get it to work stable for me with Mjpeg - am I doing something wrong here, wrong settings or something?
Or is the problem the data rate >> the transcend card - do I need to buy the Sandisc?

I know it's easier with softer / manual glass - but I like the kit lens combined with the merlin: in 14mm the image angle is more or less perfect; the setup isn't too heavy (using a MKE400 micro with small attenuators). And of course I need AF...

I hope you have some tips for me :-)