PDA

View Full Version : Gh1 stock shutter restrictions

paperclipchevy
06-20-2010, 07:00 PM
This forum has grown soo quickly its tough to search for answers for some questions. Awsome community here! Anyway, i haven't upgraded the firmware yet untill i get a class 10 but my question relates to the stock lens. Stock, it falls just short of the aperature size i need for the low light music venue it's to be used in. Normally in manual video mode, it restricts the shutter related to video mode, such as 720 30p the shutter is restricted to 30. Does the new firmware get around this limitation? Can i get a shutter speed of 25 instead of 30 using 24p? A slighly longer exposure would do it for me, otherwise i need to spend at least another 800 for a workable lens. I had tried manual camera mode using dedicated video button to get lower shutter but ended up with some kind of 60i wrapped duplicated frame nightmare. Also any recommendations on a good wide aperature zoom lens thats affordable? I normally have stock zoomed halfway to get whole stage in 1080 and zoom further in on the artists in Vegas accordingly. The cheaper Sigma lenses seem alright if your not fully zoomed. Still praying i find one of the old fd wide aperature zoom lenses but chances are exponentially shrinking with the growing popularity of the dslr market. Ps, I love you all:) If the geniuses involved with this hack figure out a live hdmi output they are invited to my wedding, or funeral, because i might just have a heart attack. Also there are plenty of stage lights but honestly f/4 will never cut it when i also have to zoom a bit. Thx all!

neekoh
06-21-2010, 06:04 AM
Normally in manual video mode, it restricts the shutter related to video mode, such as 720 30p the shutter is restricted to 30. Does the new firmware get around this limitation? Can i get a shutter speed of 25 instead of 30 using 24p? A slighly longer exposure would do it for me, otherwise i need to spend at least another 800 for a workable lens.

The new firmware doesn't change this AFAIK. One of the official firmware updates already enabled shutter speeds down to 1/2s. The restriction is that you have to be in creative movie mode with M exposure mode, manual focus, and any recording mode but avchd 1080p. That last bit is somewhat annoying, isn't it... :)
If zoom is what you're after, you may just need some patience. I have only experience of the fd prime lineup. Zooms are more rare, but they pop up every now and then. Somebody will be able to tell you about other options, surely you shouldn't need to spend 800.

cbrandin
06-21-2010, 08:53 AM
What does a shutter setting lower than the frame rate do? That seems logically impossible.

Chris

Oetam
06-21-2010, 09:56 AM
It duplicates frames

cbrandin
06-21-2010, 09:58 AM
So at 1/2 sec, you get something close to the equivalent of 2 FPS - right?

Chris

mpgxsvcd
06-21-2010, 10:11 AM
What does a shutter setting lower than the frame rate do? That seems logically impossible.

Chris

It gives you blurry video. Unlike films like 300 that use very high shutter speeds and give you a very sharp picture with an almost strobe like affect.

Barry_Green
06-21-2010, 10:28 AM

Chris
It is impossible.

So what the camera does, is keep the current frame buffered up until the exposure has been accomplished, and then lets it go and starts a new frame. And the result is a drop in frame rate.

If you set your frame rate to 60fps and your shutter at 1/50th, that's impossible to do. So the camera actually drops to 30fps to accomplish it. It still records 60fps, but it can only image 30 distinct frames per second, so you get effectively 30p.

If you set your shutter at 1/2 second, you will get no more than two distinct frames per second. Each one would be recorded 30 times, so you'd have a single frame followed by 29 duplicates, then a new frame followed by 29 duplicates of it.

cbrandin
06-21-2010, 11:06 AM
I got it. Thanks.

Chris