PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss Master Primes + GH1(3) - Randomish

Kholi
06-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Copied from Vimeo:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=137&pictureid=3495

a chance to throw some Zeiss Master Primes on the GH1+ Hack (otherwise known as the GH13). Nothing special at all, but I went ahead and cut up some stuff anyway REALLY fast. This was for my own purposes; I had a number of questions to answer:

1) Does the glass make a difference now?
2) How do the ZMPs play with the GH1?
3) Can I get a Pseudo Full Frame look by using ultra fast, ultra wide lenses?
4) Is the PL Mount a worthwhile deal?

ZMP 14/t1.3
ZMP 75/t1.3

the car footage is Kit Lens
And the bloomy shot of the 3D Si2K handheld rig is 35/1.4 Lomo.

Thanks to: Ilya Friedman and Hot Rod Cameras, and the HD Camera Rentals Crew for letting me play.

Footage is straight out of camera, straight AVCHD cut in CS5 and uploaded.

P.S. that's not really Paul Giamatti

P.P.S Yes I was hanging out of the window and nearly touching the street.

Kholi
06-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Will try to find a place to upload a few raw clips.

Namely the ones that we would expect lots of moire, aliasing or mud in.

GRENCH
06-19-2010, 10:04 PM
That P-S Technik shot is nice. That thing is a monster. 1st I've seen it. What is that thing? Looks sick!

Btw, Yes based on those instudio shots I would say that glass matters.

SonicStates
06-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Looking good. I haven't had a chance to transform my GH1 into the 13 yet but when a free moment reveals itself, it's on! Now, apologies for the hijack in advance but, is that your alienware and if so, tell me about your graphics card. Are you using an Nvidia card taking advantage of MPE in CS5? I read your other post about your comp and how it flies.
Looking forward to the RAW clips. Thanks mate.
Cheers,
Sam.

J. Odoms
06-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Namely the ones that we would expect lots of moire, aliasing or mud in.

Does that mean there wasn't any of these issues?

GRENCH
06-19-2010, 10:08 PM

I don't think a lens would fix that

Mike@AF
06-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Some awesome shots in there. So Kholi, what do you think? What were the answers to your questions that you came up with?

Kholi
06-19-2010, 10:23 PM
That P-S Technik shot is nice. That thing is a monster. 1st I've seen it. What is that thing? Looks sick!

Btw, Yes based on those instudio shots I would say that glass matters.

That beast is an Si2k Mini 3D Handheld Rig courtesy of HDCamera Rentals. Can't wait to use THAT thing. >:]

Yes, I agree, the glass definitely matters more so now than before in my opinion. I suppose science will say different, but as far as characteristics go, I think I would only be able to settle for Cooke S4's beneath ZMPs on this sucker.

Kholi
06-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Looking good. I haven't had a chance to transform my GH1 into the 13 yet but when a free moment reveals itself, it's on! Now, apologies for the hijack in advance but, is that your alienware and if so, tell me about your graphics card. Are you using an Nvidia card taking advantage of MPE in CS5? I read your other post about your comp and how it flies.
Looking forward to the RAW clips. Thanks mate.
Cheers,
Sam.

Transform your cam, man! Dunno how you could wait it out.

The ALienware M11X is my lil' friend. The GPU's an Nvidia 335M but NOW the m11X has been updated with i5 i7 options and nVidia Optimus GPU. I'm about to switch over as soon as I get a chance.

I use CS5 and the experience has been very pleasant. Being able to cut Canon footage without converting and now GH13 footage without converting has been a blast, and encourages me to just kind of shoot even for practice or for testing purposes.

I do have to render GH13 footage If I want maximum playback efficiency, but it has no issue outputting the 1080 to a large monitor or LCD through HDMI, while using the 11.6" 720P screen to edit.

I no longer own a desktop or anything else. Aside from just upgrading to the latest M11X (friggin Alienware man... I just got this thing) couldn't be happier with my current computing situation.

Well, I do want an iPad. Haha

SonicStates
06-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks man! I've been looking at the Precision 'slab' (the one that you need a trolly to transport... M6500) It has the fx3800m in it but with a i7 820qm as opposed to another maker with a 940xm with ATI 5870. There's a discount going on Dell here now in Japan so decision time....I want to be 'mobile' (relatively speaking, of course). Anyway, enough from my little world. Thanks for the response... too many toys...u-hummm, I mean, 'necessities', too little money.
Cheers,
Sam.

matt s.
06-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Looks nice and smooth.

jenningsp
06-19-2010, 11:37 PM
let us download it! :)

Kholi
06-20-2010, 01:28 AM

Well, there're a lot of situations here where mud, aliasing and moire would've been terrible before on the GH1 or even on the Canons.

For instance, that shot of the dremel on the guys knee with the 75mm. It's fairly tight, the pattern in the jeans would've gone to hell with mush or, on the canons, probably danced really badly.

That's what I mean.

Kholi
06-20-2010, 01:37 AM
Some awesome shots in there. So Kholi, what do you think? What were the answers to your questions that you came up with?

Hmmm. I think that the image is extremely clean. Before this test, I was almost turned away by how clean it is. After this, I think I'll be shooting a lot of GH1 + PL lens material.

So does the glass make a difference? Feels like it to me. Maybe not resolution wise, but it surely takes on a different look to my eyes. Especially dealing with skin and overall saturation.

The ZMPs + Hot Rod combo feel like they were made to live together. With the Clip on Mattebox, it balanced out perfectly in my hands. Other guys at the camera house held it and felt the same way, it was just an amazing combo and a really great way to use a DSLR.

Being able to use PL mount lenses helps with lens speed: 12/T1.3 ZMP won't distort heavily and can be used wide open without much recourse, so as the 14/T1.3 ZMP.

Most of the material is on the 14/T1.3 wide open with NDS and a Polarizer. The hyper shallow look was very easy to achieve, for beauty this sucker'll do. And, without the drawbacks of shooting and having to dodge heavy aliasing/moire.

And of course lastly, yeah... heck yeah the PL mount is a good deal. Hot Rod PL mount is very stable and now I see why it costs what it does. They've put together a VERY solid product and I didn't have ANY worries putting the huge and heavy ZMPs on the camera. Nor operating it. So, yeah, I'm sure other owners of the Hot Rod PL setup will testify to that.

Overall, GH1 totally rocks it for me. I hope that the video out will come soon, that should complete the camera altogether and the other adjustments will be edible candles on the cake.

I still like the Canons, GH13 feels like it represents more of what's to come in the future for these things.

Kholi
06-20-2010, 01:38 AM
let us download it! :)

It's highly compressed, though! And would rather it not go to YouTube or anywhere else without permission.

The MTS files without faces etc I'll make available soon.

Request a scene/shot and I'll make sure to throw it up.

J. Odoms
06-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Kholi one more question. Is it possible after hacking the GH1 to return it back to it's factory settings, i.e. orgiinal firmware?

Chris Light
06-20-2010, 02:50 AM
no J. as of now, all you can do is disable all patches in pTool, and it will act exactly like original firmware, but with a different firmware number. a rental agency will know.

J. Odoms
06-20-2010, 02:57 AM
a rental agency will know.

LAME! :dankk2:though

I guess I'll just need to buy the body and rent the HotRod PL mount and the Master Primes then.

Chris Light
06-20-2010, 03:01 AM
dude...the body is dirt cheap anyway! couple hours of a paid gig should cover it. the GH1 was nearing throw-away status for some users here, but now won't give it up for anything...well, not really, but whatever.

J. Odoms
06-20-2010, 03:04 AM
I'm having problems finding a "DIRT CHEAP" one. Links or it ain't so....

Chris Light
06-20-2010, 03:08 AM
I'm having problems finding a "DIRT CHEAP" one. Links or it ain't so....
sorry...misused my words there..."dirt cheap" is relative...but body-only on ebay is in the $600 region. however, as the hack becomes more popular, so will sales of the camera...?

EDIT....can't find anything on ebay for less than $797...yowza

J. Odoms
06-20-2010, 03:10 AM
I hear ya, cheapest I've found them has been for about ~$800. I'd pay $600 in a heartbeat.

Chris Light
06-20-2010, 03:14 AM
no kidding....who knew...

Chris Light
06-20-2010, 03:16 AM
we've derailed the thread.....sorry Kholi.

Mike@AF
06-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Kholi one more question. Is it possible after hacking the GH1 to return it back to it's factory settings, i.e. orgiinal firmware?

no J. as of now, all you can do is disable all patches in pTool, and it will act exactly like original firmware, but with a different firmware number. a rental agency will know.

Wrong. Just wrong.

Check off the second option, Version Compare, and increase the version number if you need to in the current Ptool. Make any other changes to the firmware you want. Upload that firmware to the GH1. Put the official 1.32 firmware on an SD card. Upload the firmware to the GH1. You'll be back to official 1.32 lickety split. Just know the next time you want to hack your firmware you need to increase the version number to at least 1.33.

Mike@AF
06-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Hmmm. I think that the image is extremely clean. Before this test, I was almost turned away by how clean it is. After this, I think I'll be shooting a lot of GH1 + PL lens material.

So does the glass make a difference? Feels like it to me. Maybe not resolution wise, but it surely takes on a different look to my eyes. Especially dealing with skin and overall saturation.

The ZMPs + Hot Rod combo feel like they were made to live together. With the Clip on Mattebox, it balanced out perfectly in my hands. Other guys at the camera house held it and felt the same way, it was just an amazing combo and a really great way to use a DSLR.

Being able to use PL mount lenses helps with lens speed: 12/T1.3 ZMP won't distort heavily and can be used wide open without much recourse, so as the 14/T1.3 ZMP.

Most of the material is on the 14/T1.3 wide open with NDS and a Polarizer. The hyper shallow look was very easy to achieve, for beauty this sucker'll do. And, without the drawbacks of shooting and having to dodge heavy aliasing/moire.

And of course lastly, yeah... heck yeah the PL mount is a good deal. Hot Rod PL mount is very stable and now I see why it costs what it does. They've put together a VERY solid product and I didn't have ANY worries putting the huge and heavy ZMPs on the camera. Nor operating it. So, yeah, I'm sure other owners of the Hot Rod PL setup will testify to that.

Overall, GH1 totally rocks it for me. I hope that the video out will come soon, that should complete the camera altogether and the other adjustments will be edible candles on the cake.

I still like the Canons, GH13 feels like it represents more of what's to come in the future for these things.

Thanks for the detailed report. Looks like an awesome combo. Really makes you wonder what's coming next. I've been holding out for the Scarlet, and I'll probably still get one when they finally come out, but now I really don't think I need to worry too much. Everything from the GH1 just looks amazing now. It's like a whole new ballgame.

Kholi
06-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the detailed report. Looks like an awesome combo. Really makes you wonder what's coming next. I've been holding out for the Scarlet, and I'll probably still get one when they finally come out, but now I really don't think I need to worry too much. Everything from the GH1 just looks amazing now. It's like a whole new ballgame.

I'm still interested in Scarlet as well. Who knows when any of that stuff'll come out, though. For now, between all of these DSLRs and ESPECIALLY the GH13, and the RED MX... there's just too much to shoot with to be concerned.

Gotta shoot it up!

Emanuel
06-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure who else also noticed, but that special cameo is already part of dvxuser history now. No, I don't refer myself to the Ari/David Newman's 3D... ;-) :)

ryancglover
06-20-2010, 01:15 PM

+1; have had my Hot Rod since December, never once had to question it's build quality. super well made.

footage looks great Kholi!

pianoboy
06-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Wow, looks great! Those lenses look great!

Kholi
06-20-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure who else also noticed, but that special cameo is already part of dvxuser history now. No, I don't refer myself to the Ari/David Newman's 3D... ;-) :)

Hahaha! You're the only one that picked up on that so far, Emanuel. It's not him, of course.

But, that 3D rig is something extraordinarily sick. They also had a 1DMKiV video rig that went to some serious productions. It's quite nice.

Kholi
06-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Anyone got a request for raw MTS files?

Let me know which shots and I'll upload the raw MTS to vimeo for download.

Nitsuj
06-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Okay I have been trying to remember what band and song that is playing in the video with no luck. Can you let me know so I don't go insane. Gracias.

06-22-2010, 08:42 PM
All I see is jello is that video.

Kellar42
06-22-2010, 10:52 PM
All I see is jello is that video.

How nice for you.

Kholi
01-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Okay I have been trying to remember what band and song that is playing in the video with no luck. Can you let me know so I don't go insane. Gracias.

Dunno how I missed this FOREVER ago...

It's Tobacco from F*d up Friends album.