PDA

View Full Version : Last of the shaky GH1 videos? Not! :-)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
06-18-2010, 07:38 PM
I shot & edited this little video today using Vitaliy Kiselev's wonderful PTool firmware customization utility application for the GH1 (you may have heard of it?):

http://www.vimeo.com/12685523

Tech details on the Vimeo page. Next time I'll use a tripod, but look: No mud! :)

alignment1
06-18-2010, 07:49 PM
I saw your Hillsdale Main St. "interviews" when you first got your GH-1. I was watching like Ralphy's Dad in Xmas story when Ralphy's loading the Red Rider BB gun for the first time....

anyhow- what a difference the pTool makes eh?? It's like a brand new camera!! hey wait a minute!??! you nust got 2 brand new cameras in like a month!!!:shocked:

The color looks good- nice crisp detail-- looks pro man- gosh I love this cam!!:love4:

Emanuel
06-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Very well. Even without tripod, you add one of the finest GH13 examples in real shooting news world. I bet for any reason they offer OIS with the kit lens.

AdrianF
06-19-2010, 03:06 AM
Looks good. The shot of the speaker in profile looks super clean!
Congratulations on your effort paying off too.

Dan Clark
06-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Peter,

Great footage! (Byteage?) Very sharp and excellent color. The last shot with the big check was spectacular. It popped off the screen.

One thing... The shots of the two (presumably local TV) cameramen caused me to wonder how their footage compared? :happy:

Regards,

Dan.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
06-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Very well. Even without tripod, you add one of the finest GH13 examples in real shooting news world. I bet for any reason they offer OIS with the kit lens.
Thanks, Emanuel. You're too kind. :-)

Wouldn't it be awesome if there existed a fully-m4/3-compatible lens with built-in OIS which was as wide, sharp & fast as the Lumix 20mm f1.7? I wish!

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
06-19-2010, 10:00 AM
... The last shot with the big check was spectacular. It popped off the screen. ...

Thanks, Dan.

The freeze-frame is from a RAW still pic I took with my GH1. I realized while shooting motion video of that scene that it was initially too chaotic for the video to be useful* (_everyone_ in the room on all sides of the giant check was jockeying/jostling for position for the photo op), so I stopped recording and fired-off a few digital stills figuring I could use one in an edit.

Score 1 for using a hybrid camera! :-)

* Meaning: Not too chaotic in terms of "mud", but rather just too shaky to watch.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
06-19-2010, 10:33 AM
... The color looks good- nice crisp detail-- looks pro man- gosh I love this cam!!:love4:

Thanks, Zack (Alignment).

The GH1's new-found capabilities via Vitaliy Kiselev's PTool firmware mod are really quite something. A new tool in the toolkit. Small, cheap, and good!

Rakesh Jacob
06-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Looks really good man, I liked the handheld feel, even without OIS it came out well. Kudos!

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
06-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Some good news I guess: I just realized today that I shot the Hillsdale Grant Award video using _lower_ data-rate settings than what I first thought. This video was actually shot using AVCHD settings of "40... 46... 50...", which yielded a bit-rate in the recording in the low-20s mb/sec, _not_ in the "mid-40s mb/sec" range. Point being, the video looks pretty good, even though it's "only" ~22 mb/s.

I got the 40-46-50 settings from Hunter's post here (these are apparently the old "jobless C" settings):
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2021360&postcount=9

Yesterday I re-flashed my GH1's firmware with Vitaliy Kiselev's PTool "C" settings, the "50... 52... 60..." group. As indicated by a quick test I did last night (aim my GH1 at a TV, focus on the raster lines, get tons of moire & aliasing on purpose: Lots of detail & motion!) this yields data-rates in the mid-40s mb/s in high-detail, high-motion scenes. Since I currently own Fuji 4GB Class 6 cards I'll be testing over the next few days with a variety of subject matter to see if they can handle these rates.

Sorry for any confusion my earlier post may have caused.

EDIT: Later that same day ... As we know, scene contents makes a big difference: When I try to shoot a scene with lots of detail, such as tree foliage blowing in a breeze using the "50... 52... 60..." mid-40s mb/s settings group with a freshly-formatted Class 6 card, the camera cancels recording after a few seconds. As expected, scenes with lower detail/motion record (and play in-camera) w/o a problem. No surprise here. Now I've definitely got to get at least one good Class 10 card to handle the higher data-rates. :-)