PDA

View Full Version : How to Convert 7D footage into FCP DVCPro timeline

boweevil98
06-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Hello

I have a FCP edit comprised of mainly P2 footage.

I have to add footage shot with a 7D.

How do i make these 2 formats compatible using compressor?

Lastly, once the edit is done and I have exported it as quicktime will my file be gigantic?

thanks so much,
Cristina

handsome pete
06-18-2010, 01:56 PM
You should be able to edit ProRes footage in a DVCPro timeline, so I would convert to ProRes.

Your exported file size is largely dependent on what format you export to and how long your movie is. It probably will be pretty large though if you export in a lossless codec to preserve quality.

boweevil98
06-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Thank you Handsome Pete.

I can the H.264 files in compressor to ProRes files - correct?

and then do i just import them into my Final Cut Project?

thanks again,
Cristina

handsome pete
06-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Correct.

Betacam2
06-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Instead of taking the footage into compressor, you can also do it right in final cut pro with log and tranfer when you install the canon plug-in.

Here's the link to info on the plug-in:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3249

Here's the link to download the plug-in. (Make sure you select OSX as the operating system)

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17662#DownloadDetailAct

If you download the plug-in it will work exactly like P2.

Hope this helps

Also... In the info they mention you have to do it right from the compact flash card, which is not entirely true. If you create folders for each CF card used on location and copy EVERYTHING from 1 card to 1 folder, you can import right from those folders rather than a CF card.

kgimedia
01-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Hi,

According to the problem you mentioned, I can not wait to offer you my kind opinions and ideas. Frankly, i would like to suggest u a powerful Mac video converter called Foxreal Video Converter for Mac. I found this software on Macnn (http://www.macnn.com/articles/10/12/31/converter.works.with.hdv.avi.mkv.tivo.more/)a few days ago. This is the first software I found can solve your problem. It can Convert footage from a 7D to Apple ProRes 422 for FCP easily. Apple ProRes 422 is the best format for FCP.

I suggest u try it. And I found the software has advanced audio and video sync technology. Great!

U can use Google to find it. Hopefully it can help u.

Tim

That sounds promising or you could just use the software you already have that is part of Final Cut or even Final Cut itself (with plug-in).

kgimedia
01-08-2011, 07:49 PM
I am using it. Maybe you do not believe me, but u can try it. I think it is the right software to solve this problem.

I believe you. I just have never used any software under $5000 that I like better then Compressor which is in effect free because it is included in software I already own Final Cut Pro. I also allows the use of all Cores on which ever computer it is installed on or a cluster if you have more then one computer.

PaulinaColombia
01-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Sorry to jump in with (kinda) unrelated topic. Unlike Cristina I don't have FCPro. So while I shoot on location I want to store my files on a Hyperdrive until I get them to my editor.
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-UDMA-s/64.htm
I am afraid to compress the files. Do you think my files are safe in the Hyperdrive until I get them to her? Has anyone used this type of devise to just keep storing and storing... Thanks!
PS. My editor got the PLUG IN E1 for FCPro, it worked perfect.
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3249

BenB
02-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Always use the Canon supplied Log & Transfer plugin for two major reasons. Canon customized this and it is faster. It is the only solution that brings in timecode and other metadata, because Canon wrote it.

Keith Dadey
03-05-2011, 02:53 PM
I agree. I've been using the Canon plug-in with no issues what so ever. It will look at the meta data of each clip and assign timecode based on the time of day the shot was taken. This works really well. You could use MPEG Streamclip also, but it currently does not access that time stamp, so all your clips will have 00:00:00:00 timecode. Here's the link for Streamclip, which by the way is a fantastic Swiss Army knife utility to have for converting formats: http://www.squared5.com/

Eike
04-03-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm using MPEGStreamclip for this too. Just the best for that IMHO. ;)

BenB
04-03-2011, 04:00 PM
It is no faster than the Canon EOS Movie transcoder in Log & Transfer, and can't carry over any metadata. I trust Canon's plugin way more, have seen a quality difference, and really need to have timecode. Why use a third party app, lose metadata, for what advantage?

butter1093
04-25-2011, 12:09 AM
It seams that compressor can't import h.264 mov from Canon EOS camera, so you can not use it to transcode mov to prores, i have ever heard from my friend that the mov from his canon 7d can not edit with fcp, he tried lots of tools and finally found a tool (i can not remenber) using a keyword seems like "convert canon eos 7d to prores mov for fcp" to help him convert the mov to prores, you may search on google.

8string
04-25-2011, 05:12 AM
I have never got the canon plug in to work on my Mac pro, but it does on my MacBook pro. Same osx level on both. Canon also has no tech support for it that I can find, and there appears to be no uninstall for it, which seems pathetic. (anyone actually uninstalled it?) So I continue to use compressor, which works fine. I'm very disappointed in canon's lack of tech support. I'd be willing to pay to get it fixed!

BenB
04-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Compressor can in fact import Canon DSLR H.264 files. And I've never seen the EOS E1 plugin not work. As a matter of fact, Canon just released a new updat (version 1.2) last week that is a bit faster, and does not need the full CF card file structure.

The plugin version 1.0 required that you leave the full folder/file structure of the CF Card in tact to recognize it. Just as you must do with P2 cards. Version 1.2 only needs the original H.264 files.

If you can't get version 1.0 to work, it's because you don't have the .THM files.

Br sure your on an Intel Mac, Compressor 3.5 works best.

8string
04-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Thanks ben, I'll upload the new version. I think I'm doing everything right, as the same card works fine in my laptop with the software.it's not because I did't have the thm files, there is a bug with something in my Mac vs this software, and there are no instructions on uninstalling it, unless I'm missing something.