PDA

View Full Version : Strange firmware update from panasonic

Simon Höfer
06-18-2010, 03:34 AM
Somebody sent me the following message on vimeo. It is about a new firmware update for older cameras. It contains the 1.3Version, but is from today. Any ideas what this is about? Only found it on the french site. I guess it is just the official 1.3 update for france... which came in late.

GH1 GF1 problem colors !!

For the GH1 and GF1 bought before March 31st, 2010 :
An update of Panasonic degraded the colors.

To rectify the problem:

panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download_f/ (http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download_f/)
Available site from 18/06/2010 till 30/09/2010

- User's name: panasonic
Password: lumix
VALIDATE

zcream
06-18-2010, 03:42 AM
STRANGE. Is this the fpn fix we were looking for ?

Adventsam
06-18-2010, 04:07 AM
It was 132 as recall, where does it say what it does?

Simon Höfer
06-18-2010, 04:29 AM
You are right, it actually is GH1__133.bin. Can't find any firther explanation what it is about.

Adventsam
06-18-2010, 04:34 AM
for any reason. Could a few others do the same.;-)

zcream
06-18-2010, 04:43 AM
Damn. Wish my GH1 was here. Would someone mind posting a testclip of an underexposed scene before and after this new firmware ? Lets hope that the fpn noise is gone. I like to shoot underexposed in general, and the fpn messed up a shoot where someone else was using a GH1. I forced him to underexpose and when I got the footage - it had the fpn noise.

zcream
06-18-2010, 04:46 AM
Mentioned on 43rumours.
http://43rumors.com/firmware-update-for-the-panasonic-lumix-g1-gf1-gh1/

jobless
06-18-2010, 07:04 AM
I got massage also on vimeo...

jobless
06-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Massages :

The good link is :

panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download_f/

Sorry :))

PS : The update of the firmware resets the device in the parameters of factory. It is thus necessary to re-configure it after update. The update must be placed on the base of the SD card, the device put in fashion "Display", then switched on. If the device doesn't suggest making the update, it is because it isn't necessary. If it suggests making it, it is enough to follow the procedure detailed on the site of Panasonic. Once the settled update, it will not propose again it any more, given that it is already settled.

GH1 GF1 problem colors !!

For the GH1 and GF1 bought before March 31st, 2010 :
An update of Panasonic degraded the colors.

To rectify the problem:

- http: // panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dcs/down load_f/
Available site from 18/06/2010 till 30/09/2010

- User's name: panasonic
VALIDATE

MR Fanny
06-18-2010, 07:42 AM
can anyone confirm any improvement in so called colour? a before and after shot while someone decides to update would be good.

Ozpeter
06-18-2010, 07:43 AM
For the GH1 and GF1 bought before March 31st, 2010 :Bought before a date? That's daft. Obviously purchase date may have nothing to do with date of manufacture. A GH1 purchased on 1st April could have been on the store shelf for months. There's something rather odd about this!

Adventsam
06-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Just weird.

jobless
06-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Just weird.

Indeed

Adventsam
06-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Its a spy tool?, definately, they know just about everybody will want to try the hack, they now know that we can revert to an original f/w too, well 1.32 anyway. However, anybody putting 133 on the camera will have a code placed somewhere, then if Vitaily ports 133 to the patch they will know its been hacked, this may invalidate the warranty!

My suggestion, knowbody goes near the firmware?

Simon Höfer
06-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Hey, just stop with these speculations and conspiracy theories. Makes no sense at all.

Stephen Mick
06-18-2010, 08:17 AM
The key with firmware updates is this…

If your camera works and does what you need it to do, DON'T upgrade the firmware. Let someone else do it and figure out if it's worth upgrading your camera later.

Abe
06-18-2010, 08:52 AM
I did a little testing with the new 133 firmware with Ptool 3.37d and it reported:

"Wrong file or already updated."

I am curious if perhaps Panasonic is blocking the firmware hack with this 133 release?

billy fattey
06-18-2010, 08:59 AM
I did a little testing with the new 133 firmware with Ptool 3.37d and it reported:

"Wrong file or already updated."

I am curious if perhaps Panasonic is blocking the firmware hack with this 133 release?

If you try that with the old official firmware before 1.32 you will also get that message. Ptool is made specifically to recognize 1.32.

I really doubt that a company that cares so little about making their codec efficient would spend money and time trying to thwart these efforts. I see laziness and bureaucracy, not a conspiracy.

Barry_Green
06-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Okay, instead of everyone leaping to negative conspiracy theory conclusions, why not try, oh, I don't know, giving them the benefit of the doubt maybe?

Firmware updates are for bug fixes.

So is there any "bug" we know of, in relation to color on the GH1?

Why, yes there is! Surprise, surprise. So maybe, just maybe, this firmware update fixes the blue-shift color bug.

Someone who has an unpatched camera should give it a try.

dvbrother
06-18-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm going to refrain from this update until there's official mention of this from Panasonic. The reason this seems suspicious is that we all heard about this from a Vimeo email. There is no press release or website mention about this from Panasonic.
I hope it's legit and that it fixes the blue-shift problem, as I've encountered it often. But until there's an official mention of this by Panasonic, I won't install it.

Nemo0815
06-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Okay, instead of everyone leaping to negative conspiracy theory conclusions, why not try, oh, I don't know, giving them the benefit of the doubt maybe?

Why, yes there is! Surprise, surprise. So maybe, just maybe, this firmware update fixes the blue-shift color bug.

Didn't they release this update today for 9 cameras, including some compacts? I doubt that they all have got a colour bug...

Postmaster
06-18-2010, 09:56 AM

You gonna have a hard time, to find someone with an unpatched camera on this forum Barry. :D

Frank

Timmyjoe
06-18-2010, 10:08 AM

Barry,

You got to admit this sounds suspicious. I'm not saying Panasonic did this, not at all. I'm saying I think this is some kind of scam. For me, the give aways are how we found out about it, (emails from Vimeo sent to people who posted video about the hack) and the claim of working with cameras purchased before a certain date (as mentioned before, manufacturers don't ever keep track of version changes in products by the date someone bought the product, they keep track by serial number lots and manufacture date).

I wouldn't touch that update with a ten foot pole. If we hear something official from Panasonic, I might look into it, but for now, I smell a rat.

Best,
-Tim

DaLiV
06-18-2010, 10:09 AM
you also can : update with version patch and lover version and then new original firmware ...

svecher
06-18-2010, 10:13 AM
You gonna have a hard time, to find someone with an unpatched camera on this forum Barry. :D

Loading original firmware (v.1.32) is as easy as as PTool firmware update.

Oedipax
06-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Very odd. If it fixes the color shift bug I'd be happy though, assuming the GH13 hacks can be ported over to the new revision of the firmware. I'm gonna stick with hacked 1.32 for now though.

Simon Höfer
06-18-2010, 10:32 AM

This has been said before and I am still wondering why the "mud" isn't considered as a bug. That's just beyond me. It definitely is a bug.

Not adding Video out, no problem. But the mud is not acceptable. It is their fault and they need to fix it.

I mean, just look at it:
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/26393/1276882242.jpg

Barry_Green
06-18-2010, 10:46 AM
This has been said before and I am still wondering why the "mud" isn't considered as a bug. That's just beyond me. It definitely is a bug.
I agree that it's a bug and that it should be fixed. That doesn't mean they will.

Just because a firmware update fixes a bug, doesn't mean that it fixes all bugs.

Barry_Green
06-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Barry,

You got to admit this sounds suspicious. I'm not saying Panasonic did this, not at all. I'm saying I think this is some kind of scam.

I wouldn't touch that update with a ten foot pole. If we hear something official from Panasonic, I might look into it, but for now, I smell a rat.

Hmmm. Just went to the official Panasonic USA site, and there is no mention of any newer firmware update.
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Cameras/Lumix-Digital-Cameras/Drivers-Downloads/model.DMC-GH1K.D#ts

Yeah, I'd definitely advise waiting on this until we see it posted on the official USA site.

Barry_Green
06-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Don't know what to make of this.

Panasonic.jp is the official global site.

But if you go to the download page, there is no mention of "new firmware" for the GH1, the most recent is version 1.3 as of May 10th, 2010.

Barry_Green
06-18-2010, 11:23 AM
... but ... that does LOOK like an official Panasonic french site...

I dunno, if I had to bet, I'd say it's not a scam, but maybe the French division jumped the gun on releasing it?

In any case, seems if it's legit, it should all be sorted out and propagated across all the sites in short order, so ... no rush to go try it.

Timmyjoe
06-18-2010, 11:33 AM
... but ... that does LOOK like an official Panasonic french site...

I dunno, if I had to bet, I'd say it's not a scam, but maybe the French division jumped the gun on releasing it?

In any case, seems if it's legit, it should all be sorted out and propagated across all the sites in short order, so ... no rush to go try it.

When it shows up here, then I'll believe it:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/

Best,
-Tim

Simon Höfer
06-18-2010, 11:55 AM
It was published by FNAC, which seems to be a french chain for electronic products. here is the letter in french....

http://sites.estvideo.net/cedric67/panasonicfz/maj_panasonic_lumix_20100614_fnac.jpg

Simon Höfer
06-18-2010, 11:58 AM
And cheap translation:
The laboratory tests beyond Fnac realized for several years of regular tests
a very large part of our technical products. The result of these tests is
I freely made available to our customers in our technical documents that can
be available in stores and on our website Fnacccm.
The cons-tests are also conducted by the teams of the laboratory for the duration
product life. The laboratory has found Essel on some devices to mark
Lumix results of difierent. in terms of color rendition. those obtained
initially on those same devices and as published in the technical files
published in 2009. These differences result from setting day å Iogiciele made by Panasonic.
The question whether devices are those whose purchase l ° e been engaged before 31 March 2010 and
whose references are given below:
DMC-FS15
DMC-F862
DMC-ZX1
DMC-TZ6
DMC-TZ7
DMC-F238
DMC-G1
DMC-GF1
DMC-GH1
Panasonic takes note of the position of laboratory esseis Fnac and provides you
a provision setting day å Lumix these devices allow a refund of
colors consistent with the results published in the technical dossier published in
The procedure to update these power devices is thus as follows:
1 / Please visit straightens following URL:
1 ll 'l' ¿L1.> 5 ¿ul of Lev), '1, Q ¿1J! Jl 0.3.0
Cesireintcmerseradilsponibledu 18/06/2010au3CV09/2010
2 / Pouraocedereu content sire. veurilez iníonnarrbns enter the following:
Dutiiseteur Name: Panasonic
el validate
3 / On the next window. ricon click 'download' correspond to the model
device
4 / On the next window, read the how to update your device has merrre and
surlicone click 'T ÔÖCÖGIQGI' pourcommencer downloading the update
The update is not necessary for the proper functioning of your device. but
Laboratory of essays of Fnac recommends fetlectuer.
Please believe. dear Cient. SURE to our best regards.

e-steve
06-18-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure how it works exactly, but could someone who understands the firmware code (that might only be one person here) do a file compare between the last official update and this one to see the difference? Perhaps that's not possible, but maybe that will give us a little clue...

Barry_Green
06-18-2010, 12:00 PM
I just tried to download it off the french site, and unless this is the most sophisticated piece of web hacking I've ever seen, it does appear to be an official file coming off the french panasonic website.

Still, no reason to rush into it; I'd wait a few days and see if it shows up in the whole system.

Mike@AF
06-18-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm trying to understand that letter. Are they saying there's something wrong with all those cameras manufactured before March 31?

Camera Expert
06-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I have an importance thing to shoot tomorrow and I'm just going to play it safe and pass this up for now.

Mike@AF
06-18-2010, 12:21 PM
http://www.systemkamera-forum.de/blog/2010/06/firmware-update-lumix-g1-gf1-gh1/

Translated: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.systemkamera-forum.de%2Fblog%2F2010%2F06%2Ffirmware-update-lumix-g1-gf1-gh1%2F&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

Basically it seems a previous firmware update caused a color problem (which they don't detail) and this fixes it. Were there any new color issues introduced with previous firmware updates that anyone is aware of?

svecher
06-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Interestingly, U.S. Panasonic website lists the latest firmware as 1.21, so it's quite plausible that regional management makes independent decision about which version of firmware to "recommend." Silly, but
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Cameras/Lumix-Digital-Cameras/Drivers-Downloads/model.DMC-GH1K.D#ts

meego
06-18-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm French. Here are a few additional info.

FNAC is a consumer electronics/music/books/video retail company which has a rather good reputation. They also have a lab with very knowledgable people to test products. It is very likely that their relationship with Panasonic enabled them to have a fix released early for their customers for this specific issue.

Barry_Green
06-18-2010, 01:41 PM
I think it's legit. But I also think there's no reason for USA customers to go trying to download a french firmware update; besides, is it possible that the change in colors was never propagated throughout the rest of the territories? Maybe whatever color-change issue this was, only applied in the french market?

If it shows up on the global and USA sites, that's the time to consider updating.

kiguar
06-18-2010, 02:07 PM
I believe that message that come from Vimeo originate from Franche guy, a creator of "HYBRID Community µ4/3, NX, NEX" group. He just want to inform community.

http://vimeo.com/groups/24751/forumthread:21515

butler360
06-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Strange indeed, but unfortunately it looks to possibly be not crazy enough to be the FPN fix...

Having just seen "PanasonicDirect" post over on E0SHD (don't want to get censored, haha) in the forums, I thought maybe Panasonic had realized that they, too, can help improve their camera through firmware!

They said this in the GH1 and GH2 forums:

If you ever have any questions for Panasonic please join http://www.facebook.com/panasonic or http://www.twitter.com/panasonicdirect and we will do our best to respond as soon as possible.

I know that for every article I've seen about the GH13 hack, E0SHD has been the source, showing his Taipei video. So it's kind of interesting to see what is, ostensibly, Panasonic openly asking for questions on that specific forum. Also interesting is that they chose the GH1 and GH2 (that's right, GH2 not G2)...

MR Fanny
06-19-2010, 02:04 AM
i wonder what would happen if everyone here posted up how they loved their gh1 but not the codec and FPN and if they will ever fix it. should we all start now?..lol

butler360
06-19-2010, 02:21 AM
I've wondered about that, too. Assuming that's really Panasonic, it seems they are opening up a bit. And for some reason, complaints seem to get better addressed when they're on Twitter, en masse.