PDA

View Full Version : How to fill in the first two boxes in Ptool

Ozpeter
06-15-2010, 05:13 PM
There are three possible scenarios for completing these two boxes. Identify below the scenario that applies to you, then complete the boxes as suggested.

=============================================

Scenario A :

IF

- you have NOT used Ptool before and you have therefore NEVER used the first box to increment the version number on previous occasions,

and so

- you have not ticked the second box to activate the version compare patch on previous occasions,

then

- tick the first box and enter the version increment value in the value entry box in the lower part of the Ptool interface. (This number will normally be "1").

also

- tick the second box to disable version comparison in future occasions.

==========================================

Scenario B :

IF

- you HAVE used Ptool before and you have used the first box to increment the version number on previous occasions,

and

- you have NOT ticked the second box to activate the version compare patch on previous occasions,

then

- tick the first box and enter the version increment value in the value entry box in the lower part of the Ptool interface. (This number will normally be the value you entered the last time you patched the firmware, plus one).

also

=========================================

SCENARIO C :

IF

- you have used Ptool before, and last time you used it you ticked the second box to disable version comparison on future occasions (never mind what you put in the first box last time)

then

- do not tick the first box because versions will not be checked

and

- tick the second box so that versions will not be checked next time either.

Ozpeter
06-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Moderators please delete this thread if I've got it wrong.

svecher
06-15-2010, 09:14 PM
SCENARIO C :

IF

- you have used Ptool before, and last time you used it you ticked the second box to disable version comparison on future occasions (never mind what you put in the first box last time)

then

- do not tick the first box because versions will not be checked

and

- tick the second box so that versions will not be checked next time either.
Actually, you still need to check the first box (Version Change). But you no longer need to worry about incrementing the version value. If first box is not checked camera will offer to version up, but as soon as you select "Yes" a screen changes to "Please power down the camera". After turning it back on the GH1__133.bin file's size on the card is 0 bytes. You can not delete or overwrite it either. Have to reformat the card and repeat the process correctly.

Adventsam
06-16-2010, 02:54 AM
With new version change ptool iterations, not able to upload new bins;

what I have tried;

just ticking version compare, no go
ticking version compare and version increment, left at No1 in box, no go.

Next test,

version increment, no number change leave at 1.
version compare, no tick

Anybody actually adding new f/w with new version compare tool and what has worked for you?

Adventsam
06-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Have gone back to version change, plus next increment and version compare tick box, in case I want to go back to an earlier version, loads OK.

HDVdiver
07-15-2010, 05:58 AM
I'm having the same problem. Just bought a new GH1 (Australian PAL) today with 1.3 Firmware on it.

Using ptools 3.40d and GH1__132.bin

Ticked version increment. Entered 1 (is this correct?)

Ticked version compare.

Saved as GH1__133.bin and copy to camera formatted SD card.

Full battery...press play...message "No Valid Picture to Play". I've tried this with two different brands of good quality cards.

I've done many previous firmware upgrades with Canon, Nikon etc...

I'd be grateful for any advice. Am I doing something wrong...or have Panasonic started doing something devious?

svecher
07-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Interesting, another GH1 upgrade problem with pre-loaded v1.3. In your opinion, was the camera "brand new" as in ("looks like it came straight from the factory") or could it possibly have seen however minor use prior to your purchase? Also, there are two diagnostics tools we have ATM:
1) If you are comfortable with instructions outlined under "Temporary Service Menu" here
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2044384&postcount=2, please enter the mode, get to "Camera Info" screen take a photo and post here.
2) With another camera make a video showing all steps you are taking to do the upgrade to rule out user error. Please post on Youtube or vimeo.

Also, try to increase version increment to a higher value, say '50'. Another gotcha I experienced myself is firmware file corruption when copying firmware file to camera with it attached to computer with a USB cable. Use a card reader for this task and make sure to properly "eject the card" prior to physical removal.

HDVdiver
07-15-2010, 07:21 AM
The camera was brand new from the shop...looked like the box had never been opened.

I suspect Panasonic have been quietly watching and have acted...

svecher
07-15-2010, 09:24 AM
The camera was brand new from the shop...looked like the box had never been opened.

I don't know if you've ever worked in retail environment -- you'll be surprised what can be done ...

I suspect Panasonic have been quietly watching and have acted...Ok, let's focus on establishing some facts first. Could you please try one of suggestions I posted.

Ozpeter
07-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Actually, you still need to check the first box (Version Change). But you no longer need to worry about incrementing the version value. If first box is not checked camera will offer to version up, but as soon as you select "Yes" a screen changes to "Please power down the camera". After turning it back on the GH1__133.bin file's size on the card is 0 bytes. You can not delete or overwrite it either. Have to reformat the card and repeat the process correctly.Never seen that here with version change unchecked.

rambooc1
07-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Never seen that here with version change unchecked.

Me neither, i have never ticked version change ever, even when first installing the FW. The unhacked camera was v1.2, so i downloaded Panasonic's FW v1.32, loaded that in to PTools, applies the patches with only VERSION COMPARE selected and hacked the GH1 to GH13.

The problem is all the latecomers are caught up in the hype and only reading the first few pages of How to Use PTools and following early proceedures. Not entirely their fault as the threads are huge and can be confusing, but you should make a point of allowing yourself 1 week to become educated and aquainted with the Hack and then and only then proceed to hack your GH1 and accept the risks.

svecher
07-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Never seen that here with version change unchecked.
What I wrote there is wrong. I will leave that post untouched and this one should serve to correct "the record." The problem I think I've had there was related to transferring firmware file to camera connected to computer via USB cable. Somehow firmware files get corrupted when using this method. When firmware is transferred via card reader instead there is no such problem. With that said, I believe what you said in the original post is correct.

rambooc1
07-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Just to clarify/add to what i said above (post11) i save a hacked 1.32.bin file name every time i update a version, but i save it to a different folder than the original Panasonic FW so it won't overwrite it. I delete it from that folder after i have copied it to the SD card root directory ready for next time.

Obviously with version compare checked, the camera reads 0.0.

This way i never have any increments.

R

revrev
07-16-2010, 02:11 AM
I think that in scenario A can be two cases (correct me if I'm wrong):

Scenario A (1):

IF

- you have NOT used Ptool before and you have therefore NEVER used the first box to increment the version number on previous occasions,

and so

- you have not ticked the second box to activate the version compare patch on previous occasions, and the original firmware installed in your camera is an OLDER version to firmware that you are going to patch,

then

- DON'T tick the first box,

also

Scenario A (2):

IF

and so

- you have not ticked the second box to activate the version compare patch on previous occasions, and the original firmware installed in your camera is an EQUAL or NEWER version to firmware that you are going to patch,

then

- tick the first box and enter the version increment value in the value entry box in the lower part of the Ptool interface. (This number will normally be "1").

also

Slackblade
07-16-2010, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=rambooc1;2048823]Me neither, i have never ticked version change ever, even when first installing the FW. The unhacked camera was v1.2, so i downloaded Panasonic's FW v1.32, loaded that in to PTools, applies the patches with only VERSION COMPARE selected and hacked the GH1 to GH13.

Question for you? You say "applies the patches with only VERSION COMPARE selected" do you mean select "Prevent version compare"? As I understand it, if you want Version Compare, you do not select the box. I only checked the second box from day one. Never the first.

Sorry for asking for more clarification, I am a QA geek and just want to make sure I do not brick my camera.

Read up on this for about 2 weeks before going for it. Loving it and I will donate to the cause.

Thanks

rambooc1
07-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Question for you? You say "applies the patches with only VERSION COMPARE selected" do you mean select "Prevent version compare"? As I understand it, if you want Version Compare, you do not select the box. I only checked the second box from day one. Never the first.

Thanks

Yes i have only ever checked Prevent Version Compare. GH1__1.32.bin then uploaded and shows as 0.0 in version menu of camera.

Repp
07-16-2010, 06:45 PM

I suspect Panasonic have been quietly watching and have acted...

Let me know if what Svecher suggested to do in order to pull up the actual full firmware number worked... I have a Japanese GF1 that the store had to order earlier this week for me, I can't get the hack nor am I able to use the directions to get into Temp Service mode to check the firmware number.

HDVdiver
07-17-2010, 06:18 AM
Let me know if what Svecher suggested to do in order to pull up the actual full firmware number worked... I have a Japanese GF1 that the store had to order earlier this week for me, I can't get the hack nor am I able to use the directions to get into Temp Service mode to check the firmware number.

Sorry...I've already got rid of the camera and got another GH1 with ver 1.2 on its way from the US.

I don't have the time to muck around with stuff that doesn't work the way I expected. I'm quite convinced that the latest GH1's and GF1's with factory loaded firmware have been hack-proofed by Panasonic.

I hope I'm proven wrong but so far I haven't seen anyone mention they've successfully applied the hack to such a camera.

Repp
07-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I live in Japan though... and the price difference is about $160 less than it would cost if I ordered it online (oddly, the lenses are more expensive here though). Guess I'll just deal with learning the menu (thankfully I found the .pdf for the manual) and not having 1080 video.

If it becomes a big issue for me, I'll wait till the GF2 comes out state side and order it online.

noelsphoto
07-19-2010, 03:53 AM
Went through the same problems as a couple guys here. I double clicked the highlighted blue part area under the two boxes and checked a box i liked. 24p native. Otherwise it's still the same old version.

Getting some read errors on Patriot LX series class 10. So i know i did something right. Will have to try another class 10 card.

Can I check all those boxes @ one time?
Or do i have to do one @ a time?

Can i go as far as GH__1.331### etc < 1.40

Oh yeah. I can't forget to donate to GH13 for his generosity. THANKS.

reggietelly
07-19-2010, 05:38 AM
I have followed this from the start and it has got more and more complicated as each day passes. However I am starting to see some pretty solid results and some cream as it were coming to the top, so I'd like to give it a go.

My camera is at 1.3, I can't see an increment but I am pretty sure it is at 1.32. My question is do I have to increment to 1.33 and also disable version comparison, when I first do the hack. I assume I'd have to as the existing firmware on the camera isn't hacked so won't have the version compare patch.

Once I have done this could I do a 1.31 patch then a virgin Panasonic 1.32 bin to get it back to an unhacked GH1.

Sorry to be so pedantic but even with all the information out there it still seems confusing.

all the best

Richard

svecher
07-19-2010, 07:27 AM
I have followed this from the start and it has got more and more complicated as each day passes. However I am starting to see some pretty solid results and some cream as it were coming to the top, so I'd like to give it a go.

My camera is at 1.3, I can't see an increment but I am pretty sure it is at 1.32. My question is do I have to increment to 1.33 and also disable version comparison, when I first do the hack. I assume I'd have to as the existing firmware on the camera isn't hacked so won't have the version compare patch.

Once I have done this could I do a 1.31 patch then a virgin Panasonic 1.32 bin to get it back to an unhacked GH1.

You can bypass the 1.31 step and just load 1.32 directly. Your thought process is on the right track in second paragraph.

noelsphoto
07-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Quick question for svelcher while you're helping us noobies.

Can i check all the boxes. 3rd party battery-bitrate-etc... and save all in one bin. like gh1_1.32 or 1.33

Thanks

ATL Media Group
07-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Quick question for svelcher while you're helping us noobies.

Can i check all the boxes. 3rd party battery-bitrate-etc... and save all in one bin. like gh1_1.32 or 1.33

Thanks

Actually, you need to. You can't update just a few features. Each time you update you load the original 1.32 bin file and add the features you want, then save it as 1.33. If you do just one feature like battery, the next time you load 1.32 into ptool the battery won't be checked so you'll need to select it again.
In other words.. Check all settings you want to change. Save as 1.33

Want to make adjustments to bitrate? Load 1.32 back in ptool *and check all previous settings you want to keep* battery again, 24pN again.. and change bitrate. save as 1.33 *again*.

noelsphoto
07-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Very clear now.
Thank You Very Much.
Can't wait to get my new card and get things going.

I think this will let some noobies past the entrance gate.
And future noobies in my opinion.

svecher
07-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Very clear now.
Thank You Very Much.
Can't wait to get my new card and get things going.

I think this will let some noobies past the entrance gate.
And future noobies in my opinion.
I'ts your job to educate at least 2 noobs that post a question to which you know the answer now ;)

Skeptikal
07-19-2010, 05:28 PM
A lot of assumptions about "noobs"...but has anyone successfully applied the hack to cameras with 1.3 installed?

Even yesterdays new patch for this doesn't seem to work.

waqarch
09-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Just hacked my GH1. i bought this with firmware 1.1, which never showed any oprions as 24p HD 1920x1080. thought its older one to try new firmware hacked one. It installed sucessfully. now showing firmware ver: 0.0 and lens ver: 1.1
but other options ofr video are the same. can some one help me out how his screen looks like to choose from differnt resolutions. thanx.