PDA

View Full Version : Who has used the version compare tool?

Adventsam
06-15-2010, 02:06 PM
OK, have used the latest tool and it works great, but I want to move to test other settings, I went backwards to a previous version cool, but want to make a new bin, what do I tick now?

Version increment, tick, yes or no and do I put a number (0) in here
Version compare, tick, yes or no

Now when I save as new bin can I use an old version or do I need to go up? eg 137 to 138?

Ozpeter
06-15-2010, 03:02 PM
The camera will now load any firmware version presented to it if 'version compare' has been ticked.

Adventsam
06-15-2010, 03:08 PM
because it aint loading my new bin with just version compare ticked!

Many thanks

svecher
06-15-2010, 03:18 PM
because it aint loading my new bin with just version compare ticked!

Many thanks
Enabling "Version Compare" will modify firmware to not check for (new) firmware file's version once loaded into the camera. You still need to follow standard procedures (increment above current loaded version) in order to get the version-agnostic firmware in.

Adventsam
06-15-2010, 03:31 PM
thanks

svecher
06-15-2010, 03:37 PM
thanks
Ok, next time shoot first, then ask questions. Thanks!

arknox
06-17-2010, 03:54 AM
Is it just me or does anyone think that the Version Compare Option isn't getting the attention and discussion it should be. It seems that hardly anyone is talking about this option and it's a feature that has been loosely glossed over throughout these forums.

It's my understanding that the version compare option can allow the genuine Panasonic firmware to be installed back on the camera with the correct version number. If anything did happen to your camera (not because of changing the firmware) and it needed to be serviced under the warranty, the original firmware could be reinstalled as if you had never modified your firmware at all. If this is the case Panasonic would have no idea the camera had been modified with 3rd party firmware and they would honour your warranty.

Knowing that Panasonic will probably not honour my warranty because of a non standard version number is the one and only reason stopping me from using the ptool and I would imagine there are many other people in the same boat, holding off using the ptool for the same reason.

The version compare feature is HUGE! and as I say, the only thing holding me off from using the tool. If this feature can be bedded down and some time taken by the experts to explain exactly how it works then myself and perhaps many others would take the jump and start modifying the firmware.

Tesselator
06-17-2010, 05:42 AM
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=213692 See message 21

Explains EXACTLY how it works. ;)

MR Fanny
06-17-2010, 05:43 AM
lets face it, nothing is guaranteed and you are taking a risk by using the hack but that is the choice you have to make. is warranty more important than image quality for what you do, may be it is maybe it isn't.

chances are if pana really wanted to they could delve in deeper and see how many times you have updated your firmware in their hidden service menues. Lets face it, pana knows about the hack, and if "touch wood" people start turning in their cam because of some premature failure due to the hack they would be on it straight away to dodge the bullet and so they should, its business after all.

I do agree that a more indepth discussion should be had as to whether this option is flashed onto the camera so it is easily found or if it gets written over if you use the original which would be ideal. Version number on camera only shows the first two digits of the firmware not the 3rd which is the increment one. If there was a way to see that on camera to confirm exact version that would be good to know also.

Ozpeter
06-17-2010, 06:06 AM
The version compare feature is HUGE!Indeed - it allows you to flip between firmware versions 'in the field', which is handy because

- you can have versions prepared for the situations you might be shooting in (this moment, highest quality, next moment, longer running time on the card).

- you can test settings more meaningfully by shooting with the settings you are testing, then within a few moments having gone back to earlier settings or standard setup via a backwards firmware upgrade, shoot exactly the same thing again. It seems to me there's too much non-comparative testing going on. It's essential always to have something to compare with.

arknox
06-17-2010, 06:07 AM
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=213692 See message 21

Explains EXACTLY how it works. ;)

I'll have a read of that, but would you have posted that had you not read my post... :)

I do agree that a more indepth discussion should be had as to whether this option is flashed onto the camera so it is easily found or if it gets written over if you use the original which would be ideal.

This is something I would also like to know, is there some internal value stored that tells how many times the firmware has been updated regardless of version number?

Tesselator
06-17-2010, 08:45 AM
I'll have a read of that, but would you have posted that had you not read my post... :)

I read your post completely which is why I posted a link to that. I wrote it before ever visiting this thread tho if that's what you were asking.

This is something I would also like to know, is there some internal value stored that tells how many times the firmware has been updated regardless of version number?

Highly doubtful - but I dunno for sure.