PDA

View Full Version : 7d auto setup match for manual possible??

Three Billion Seconds
05-10-2010, 08:05 AM
With the 7d there are many suggestions on how to set it up for 24p, attempted to try a few and it never seems to accomplish the look thats in the automatic setting, when the dial is turned to the green. Feel’s like I’m missing something.
Does the way a cam is set for photo effect in anyway the way the cam behaves in video, by caring over?
Is there away to figure out what the camera settings are in automatic mode so it can be copied and used in manual on the spot, shutter speed, white balance, etc?
As for setting up camera from beginning to end is there a list of sixty steps or less to take for setting up cam for 24p, ntsc, that works well ever time like automatic setting? If so can some one list them or “direct” me to a good source, thanks in advance, your kung fu is strong, peace…

Three Billion Seconds
05-12-2010, 07:31 AM
My request of sixty steps or less was pushing it, I see that now, but my first two questions seamed well written an important. The sixty steps would help out big time but maybe that particular request should have been posted separately instead of jamming in the kitchen sink of questions and maybe acting as a discouragement. For what its worth you are all great film makers an the looks you are able to accomplish baffles me, congratulations and fame to you.

Jester2138
05-12-2010, 04:15 PM
With the 7d there are many suggestions on how to set it up for 24p, attempted to try a few and it never seems to accomplish the look thats in the automatic setting, when the dial is turned to the green. Feel’s like I’m missing something.

I don't understand what your problem is. Are the colors different? Exposure? Dynamic range? Motion? Can you be more clear as to what you want in manual that is in auto?

Does the way a cam is set for photo effect in anyway the way the cam behaves in video, by caring over?

Yes, in the sense that if you have one picture profile applied and are shooting pictures, then hit the mode switch and shoot video that picture profile will still be applied. There isn't really a video "mode," that is just a term of convenience, really. Think of the video "mode" as more like an added function while in stills live view than any special mode that the camera switches into and out of.

No, in the sense that if you have your .jpg size set to small, the video will look the same as if you had .jpg size set to large.

Is there away to figure out what the camera settings are in automatic mode so it can be copied and used in manual on the spot, shutter speed, white balance, etc?

It should say what the shutter, etc. are in the viewfinder and on the top LCD, although I've never used automatic so I don't know for sure.

As for setting up camera from beginning to end is there a list of sixty steps or less to take for setting up cam for 24p, ntsc, that works well ever time like automatic setting? If so can some one list them or “direct” me to a good source...

There are only two steps for shooting in 24p: Set the camera to 24p, then hit record!

As for making a setting that works well every time, frankly, that's impossible. Part of the challenge of being a filmmaker is knowing when to use a tool and when not to.

If you want specific answers ask specific questions. What exactly do you want to know how to do?

Three Billion Seconds
05-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Exposure is my issue, wishing to stay away from grain as much as possible when in low light, it was said some where to keep certain things on and off in camera like light optimizer, so I figured I must have been missing a step, auto seems to get shutter speed just right for me and everything looks peachy, but then i wounder is auto doing other things im un aware of, thank you for your past indepth feed back.

Jester2138
05-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Turn auto lighting optimizer off, it just adds noise.

Set your shutter to 1/60 and leave it, unless you want staccato motion like the action scenes of "Gladiator."

Set your aperture to the lowest setting allowed by your lens and leave it, unless you want deeper DOF or are in bright light and need to avoid overexposure.

Set your ISO to lowest possible number that will still maintain proper exposure.

Set your picture profile to Neutral with contrast all the way down, sharpening all the way down, and saturation maybe one or two down. This gets a flat image that will allow you to obtain a wider variety of looks in post.

This is rough idea of how to work, obviously there are a myriad of possible situations in which this procedure does not work. The challenge of filmmaking and photography is getting to know your camera and lenses to the point where it's second nature. Quick tutorials on the internet will only get you so far. Professionals spend much of their lives developing their talent/skill so don't expect any of this to come easily.

Three Billion Seconds
05-16-2010, 07:00 AM
Ok this is great thanks, I understand to keep the ISO as low as possible, but at what point would the iso be considered to high and need to give in and add more light for video. thanks in advance

ydgmdlu
05-17-2010, 12:58 PM
but at what point would the iso be considered to high
That's subjective, so you'll have to try and decide for yourself. But the consensus would seem to be 1600 as the limit.

Three Billion Seconds
05-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Is 1600 considered aceptable for video on the big screen?

jeree
05-24-2010, 10:46 PM
With the 7d there are many suggestions on how to set it up for 24p, attempted to try a few and it never seems to accomplish the look thats in the automatic setting, when the dial is turned to the green. Feel’s like I’m missing somethinghttp://www.my-hosts.info/img/74/1x1.jpg
As for setting up camera from beginning to end is there a list of sixty steps or less to take for setting up cam for 24p, ntsc, that works well ever time like automatic setting? If so can some one list them or “direct” me to a good source, thanks in advance, your kung fu is strong, peace…

well for sports, i keep EVERYTHING on auto..
what kind of lens do u have? it depends on the speed of it also.

Everts
05-25-2010, 05:40 AM
at 1000 the image starts to crumble..... it gets soft.
That doensn't mean I dont use it but for big screen I wouldnt go beyond iso 640 .
This camera still needs light to shine .

lyrov
05-25-2010, 07:16 AM
I would not shoot anything in auto mode with a DSLR.
You realy dont wanna have your SHUTTER, ISO, APERTURE changing all the time...

Three Billion Seconds
05-26-2010, 03:04 PM
I am using the 28-135 lens. Filming wild life kept it on auto dear were so fast. At the same time I filmed a short no moving moves kept cam on manual and kept walking back an forth to change angles, there were only two of us, used the zoom for sound. Everything 24p and neutral contrast all the way down. Looked at it a bit on the apple, and now going to edit into final cut studio not sure if it needs to be brought into compressor first, but im going to read some posts and proceed with small tests and work my way up.