PDA

View Full Version : Minimum system requirements?

Shaneuk
05-10-2010, 04:33 AM
What would the minimum system requirements for 7d footage with premiere pro cs4?

ROCKMORE
05-10-2010, 06:45 AM
[quote=Shaneuk;1985909]What would the minimum system requirements for 7d footage with premiere pro cs4?[/quote

i7. Not that expensive and worth it

Shaneuk
05-10-2010, 07:20 AM
I think you misunder stood. ( or I wasn't clear enough. )

I have a computer with Cs4. I'm planning to get a 7d.

What are the miniumum system requirements?

Alex H.
05-10-2010, 07:26 AM
I think you misunder stood. ( or I wasn't clear enough. )

I have a computer with Cs4. I'm planning to get a 7d.

What are the miniumum system requirements?

I think you misunderstood the answer, though the answer wasn't really that helpful. i7 is the new generation of Intel processor and is much more adept and handling HD editing of codecs higher than HDV/AVCHD.

However, it might be helpful for us to know (since we don't) what kind of computer you do have already. System requirements may have to do with anything from OS to RAM to video/graphics to processor.

Cassius
05-10-2010, 08:42 AM
It's not really an easy answer. It will also change depending on layers, effects and transcoding. So post your specs and see if someone similar edits AVCHD.

Shaneuk
05-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I think you misunderstood the answer, though the answer wasn't really that helpful. i7 is the new generation of Intel processor and is much more adept and handling HD editing of codecs higher than HDV/AVCHD.

However, it might be helpful for us to know (since we don't) what kind of computer you do have already. System requirements may have to do with anything from OS to RAM to video/graphics to processor.

Yeah sorry about that, I googled. I7 After, then forgot to edit my post.

My system spec is:

2Gb Ram
Vista
Intel Core Cpu2 4400@ 2.00GHz
NVIDIA Geo Force 7500 Le

ROCKMORE
05-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah sorry about that, I googled. I7 After, then forgot to edit my post.

My system spec is:

2Gb Ram
Vista
Intel Core Cpu2 4400@ 2.00GHz
NVIDIA Geo Force 7500 Le

Sorry that wasn't very elaborate. If you have a computer it will get you by for now, but if you plan to set up a new system then an i7 processor even the slower ones are very good. anything less like a quad will still cost you with a lot less speed. The i7 is amazing. I edited a Nissan project shot with a Sony EX3 all real time without having to render the timeline. The Canon files are more trouble than EX3 but the speed of the i7 makes it a lot easier. Also the speed of converting files with an i7 is much faster, so which ever way you go it's a good move. The entire system was $1,200 with ASUS main board, 3gb corsair ram and and a 250gb system HD and 2 / 500gb storage. Not bad for the money. Paid 2x back on the first job.

wildfly
05-10-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't think you'll have much fun attempting to edit 7D footage on that machine in CS4, even with Neoscene in the mix. I got fed up with editing in CS4 with my 7D footage on a Core2Quad 6700, which is much faster than your current CPU, and upgraded to i7. With my i7 and CS4 the performance is bearable. CS4 sucks for this particular type of footage though... CS3 actually was better. CS5 is on my "to do" list shortly.

Cassius
05-10-2010, 04:02 PM
i5 is the budget form if i7, and it's pretty nice as well.

Eddie B
06-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm considering buying this (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686173-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_BK175AA_ABA_Pavilion_Elite_HPE_ 270f_Desktop.html#accessories) PC this week for my 7D. I edit with Sony Vegas. Can someone provide commentary before I take the dive?

Here are the specs:

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-270f
Processor: 2.8GHz Intel Core i7-930
Cache: L2: 1MB / L3: 8MB
Memory: Slots: 4x DIMM
.........................Type: PC3-8500 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
.........................Installed: 8GB (4x2GB)
.........................Capacity: 24GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5 dedicated video memory

More detailed specs are available at the link.

I greatly appreciate any feedback. Should this computer give me real time editing in Vegas? Thanks.

Fahad
06-07-2010, 08:38 PM
the minimum system requirements can be found here (CS5)...

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

but in the end, it all depends on your budget.

you can probably upgrade your current system with a Core 2 Quad processor, 8 GB ram (total), and a newer GFX card (preferably nvidia). these three things will greatly enhance your current setup.

i also highly recommend upgrading to windows 7. actually, if you just upgraded to windows 7, you'll notice a performance jump.

Eddie B
06-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Would those things you mention give you real-time editing? My belief is if you're gonna spend so much on upgrades, you'd might as well spend however much it takes to upgrade properly.

Fahad
06-08-2010, 09:34 AM
^^not sure about that, sorry. the computer you're looking at seems more than adequate. but personally, i'd switch the ATI for a Nvidia card.

Eddie B
06-08-2010, 09:46 AM
The ATI comes with the computer. Is there any reason the Nvidia is so much better? I have a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB in my current computer; I don't know if it'd work with the HP I'm looking at. Would my current 8800 be better than the ATI that comes with the computer?

I realize that paragraph is all jumbled but I hope it makes sense. Anyway, all I really need to know is how big of a difference we're talking about with the ATI and Nvidia and would that affect real-time editing? From what I understand, as far as Vegas is concerned, the graphics card only affects render times, not editing playback. But I could be wrong.

Fahad
06-08-2010, 09:56 AM
the ATI in the HP is probably better than the Nvidia you currently have.

i just prefer Nvidia card to ATI. is the same computer configurable on the HP website?

Eddie B
06-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Unless there's some major reason to switch from the ATI to the Nvidia, I really don't want to make this any more complicated or expensive than it needs to be.

Eddie B
06-08-2010, 02:45 PM
So can anyone else give me some advice on this computer? I'd like to place the order tonight.