PDA

View Full Version : can someone help me with a computer ?

sithroya
05-05-2010, 03:51 PM
i need to build/buy a computer to edit 7d footage (will be using vegas and after effects). any guidance will be appreciated thanks :2vrolijk_08:

ROCKMORE
05-05-2010, 07:18 PM
i need to build/buy a computer to edit 7d footage (will be using vegas and after effects). any guidance will be appreciated thanks :2vrolijk_08:
I built an i7 and it's great.
It only has 3 gigs of memory but can hold 24. It is plays my H-264 1080 files in quicktime perfectly and in CS4 can play and edit 720 60p files without rendering. All for about $1,200 including 1/250GB system drive and 2/ 500 GB storage HDs. I don't think you have to settle for any less than this PC these days.
Will be looking forward to CS5.

sithroya
05-05-2010, 07:38 PM
thanks alot dude, what do you think of the core i5 750? and is 4gb ram enuff? or should i get 6-8? thanks alot

ANewman
05-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Last Year I had CyberPowerPc build my computer. I use my system for editing with XDCam video files on Sony Vegas Pro 9. I also use Lightwave 3D and Photoshop for graphics and animation. My machine is (was) fast and very stable. And all the software I run is 64-bit. And their prices are VERY affordable! That's my suggestion, good luck!
http://www.google.com/search?q=cyberpowerpc&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLL_en

Skilled
05-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I build computers for a living. I built a quad xeon with 12gig of ram. I also use sony vegas.

ecub
05-09-2010, 01:36 AM
I have a Canon Vixia HF20 camcorder, that records 1080p HD videos using the AVCHD codec. It's pretty graphics intensive. I was using AMD Quad 4, 8Gb Ram, with 3Gb Sata drives, and Nvidia 9500GT video card to view the videos. They were very choppy. I recently upgraded to a Nvidia 9800GT Video card and can now the videos with no problem.

So basically, make sure you get a good video card. Suggest Nvidea 9800GT or better. I'm unfamiliar with Radeon video cards that are comparable to Nvidia. Also make sure the video card has 512Mb or better, 1Gb. I also suggest to get a motherboard that has at least 2 PCI-E x16 slots, preferably PCI-E 2.0 x16 or better. Having 2 PCI-E x16 slots allows you to run dual video cards, with SLI. Memory, Audio card, and of course, you will need to get a good size PSU.

Jester2138
05-12-2010, 04:22 PM
I also suggest to get a motherboard that has at least 2 PCI-E x16 slots, preferably PCI-E 2.0 x16 or better. Having 2 PCI-E x16 slots allows you to run dual video cards, with SLI. Memory, Audio card, and of course, you will need to get a good size PSU.

I would disagree on the usefulness of getting a mobo with 2 PCI-E slots. Crossfire/SLI is not cost-effective (unless you just HAVE to have the BEST graphics available so you buy two of the best cards currently on the market). Any $300 single card is a much better solution than two $150 cards.

It will have zero effect on video editing. Plus it can actually make some games perform worse.

When I built my first PC I also thought, hey, I'll get an SLI mobo so that a year from now I can upgrade for cheap by just buying another one of the cards I have right now since they'll be really cheap in a year! That was a mistake. Sure, the card was cheaper where I could find it still in stock, but there were MUCH FASTER cards EVER CHEAPER. So I just bought a newer, faster card than the SLI solution would have been.

I wouldn't bother with SLI. Sorry for the mini-rant.

But DEFINITELY DO NOT SKIMP ON THE PSU! DO NOT! Now, that doesn't mean splurge on it, but buy as high quality a PSU as the rest of your computer is. Your PSU can kill all the other parts in a computer if it fails, so make sure you buy one that won't fail, or at least not fail so expensively.

Fahad
06-01-2010, 12:13 PM
never mind, old thread.

GavinAbe
06-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Have a look a look at this web site( http://ppbm4.com/Benchmark.html )it will give you a good idea what you will need hardware and speed wise