PDA

View Full Version : 29' 59" or How I Learned About The Hundredth Monkey Effect

SCATTERSCREEN
04-27-2010, 05:32 PM
While testing out my new Lensbaby (Awesome by the way) I accidentally discovered a way to shoot 1920x1080 24fps for 29min 59sec on the 7D, but it's not that big of a deal for me since I primarily do narrative work.

So if there are people out there that could benefit from this I'd be more than happy to pursue further experimentation. As of now, it's limited to certain settings, but it might be the card I'm using or lens, ISO, shutter, etc... (or combo of 'em all.)

Perhaps there are others that have discovered a way as well, without breaking the bank of course, it cost me nothing actually. I know there are, because of The Hundredth Monkey effect, which "is a supposed phenomenon in which a learned behavior spreads instantaneously from one group of monkeys to all related monkeys once a critical number is reached."

I attached a pic of frame 29' 59" with info displayed.

Later monkeys.

MR. E

haircut
04-27-2010, 09:46 PM
So....what's the method?

Fluke
04-28-2010, 01:01 AM
I call bogus. A 29' 59" 1080p file would be far larger than 2.69GB. Try ~4 times that size.

Fahad
04-28-2010, 02:23 AM
it might be the card I'm using or lens, ISO, shutter, etc... (or combo of 'em all.)

technology doesn't work like that.

SCATTERSCREEN
04-28-2010, 03:09 AM
Mr. Haircut, allow me to get back to you later in full detail. But it's not very difficult at all, I just used an SDHC/SD/MMC to Compact Flash CF II Card Reader Adapter (DN192) and an PNY SDHC Class 4 8GB card and let it record until it stopped itself. (The gear is what I had and it worked.)

Mr. Fluke, interesting name, because that's how I discovered it. By fluke. Rest assured that remarkable and unpredictable things can still happen in this world. I think your incredulous reaction tells me that you really, really want to believe, but the facts don't support it. That makes you Scully to my Moulder. ;)

So even though you're calling me out, and in the past I would of lashed out and said something stupid like "Fluke you man, you're bogus" or "Go fluke yourself" or "Bogus this, mutha fluker!!!" ;)

I won't today because I'm a changed man and will instead acknowledge your amazing awareness and sleuth like perception! Good job! Seriously.

I was wondering if someone was going to say something about that. Because the only theory I have is that file size must be determined by what is captured. Because when I did the first test (that's the pic) I had the lens cap on for a good 10-15min. I just hit record and left it on the table. Came back, saw it was recording, (around 15 min) picked it up and ran outside to shoot my nephews and niece.

That's when I pretty much knew that the camera was doing something that I hadn't known it could do. Like I said, a fluke, so I had to do it three more times to verify the discovery. That's when I became aware that even though it works, it only works with certain perimeters. If you make the camera perform too hard, it stops recording. Also, the subsequent tests had larger file sizes.

So in honor of you, I will wake up early tomorrow morning, figure out something clever to shoot for 29' 59" and post it. (btw, where should I post it? Youtube? Vimeo? other? Cuz it's kinda lengthy.)

So Mr. Fluke, what do I get if this is real? Can I get a simple "I was wrong, you were right?"

I always wanted to get one from a skeptic and I'd like to start my collection with you. ;)

So until then good man, have a good night,

MR. E

p.s. How about helping me with further testing if it does work? I suppose we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. But think about it.

Barry_Green
04-28-2010, 07:34 AM
It is more likely due to what you were recording, and not due to any adapters or whatever. Someone try it out -- put the lens cap on and hit record. IIRC, Kholi got an hour on a 4GB card on a GH1, which is way beyond what it should have been, because the long-GoP compression is extremely efficient when nothing changes in the frame.

jonE5
04-28-2010, 11:39 AM
wow, so basically all thats been proven is you can record longer than 12 minutes WITH THE LENS CAP ON?

Wow, i cant wait to use this on my new documentary about caves, and how there is no light that is down there and everything is dark. I was wondering how i would capture all that footage and still have the realism of total darkness, now i dont have to worry about missing a second of it.

Thanks for this brilliant discovery!