PDA

View Full Version : GH1 firmware research volunteers required

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

mpgxsvcd
07-23-2010, 01:51 PM
PTool 3.40d updated

Added "PAL<->NTSC Menu" patch for GF1 and GH1.
In short - it allows you to change video standard on the fly.
"Video Out" menu is used. It'll simultaneously set you TV output standard and also camera shooting standard.
As a side effect, this patch enables Video Out menu for regions where it was disabled.

Both other PAL and NTSC patches removed.

It appears that the proper sequence for switching the GF1 from NTSC to PAL with a single SD card and the new firmware patch is as follows:

1. Record footage in NTSC
2. Transfer footage to computer
3. Switch to PAL mode
4. Format card
5. Turn camera off and on
6. Format card again
7. Record PAL footage

It appears that if you don’t format, turn the camera off and on again, and then format one more time you will get a message stating “No other selections can be made”.

gemüsesaft
07-23-2010, 01:52 PM
I am not magician.

In fact, to me, you are one. :-)

Thank you for all of your efforts.

mpgxsvcd
07-23-2010, 01:55 PM
I am not magician.
This thing requires amazing amount of work and we are not here yet to start experiments.
So, do not count on this feature.
It'll be good if we could archieve this, but it can be that we'll fail.

We have faith in you. However, I am pretty darn satisfied with what you have given us so far. I bought the camera when it just had low bit rate 4:2:0 720p MJPEG and AVC-HD, it didn’t have any manual controls for video, I couldn’t use my third party batteries, it wouldn’t allow me to switch languages, and I couldn’t switch to PAL.

You have already given us all of those things. I doubt Panasonic will do the same for me in the GH2.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-23-2010, 02:07 PM
It appears that the proper sequence for switching the GF1 from NTSC to PAL with a single SD card and the new firmware patch is as follows:

1. Record footage in NTSC
2. Transfer footage to computer
3. Switch to PAL mode
4. Format card
5. Turn camera off and on
6. Format card again
7. Record PAL footage

I see much better ways.
1. Use two cards, one for PAL and other for NTSC footage.
2. During transfer simply delete (or move with files) PRIVATE folder. You won't be required to do any reformat in this case.

mpgxsvcd
07-23-2010, 02:48 PM
I see much better ways.
1. Use two cards, one for PAL and other for NTSC footage.
2. During transfer simply delete (or move with files) PRIVATE folder. You won't be required to do any reformat in this case.

You are correct. That is a better way. However, some people only have one SD card and I was trying to head off all of the inevitable posts like "You broke my camera it keeps saying "No other selections can be made".

It took me awhile to get it to switch from one format to the other. And until I did it correctly it prevented me from recording anything. I just wanted to make sure others didn't run into the same issue.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Some weekend stuff.

If you are tired from pointless forum talks about blur, sharpness, image stabilization, go and read this:
http://falklumo.blogspot.com/2010/07/lumolabs-shutter-induced-blur-with-slr.html

http://www.falklumo.com/lumolabs/articles/sharpness/index.html

I already provided few links to Falk's blog, but this guy is real genius.

sirk
07-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Hello Vitaly. Ever thought about the maximum exposure lock of 1/160 if a flash is attached again? Dunno if you're looking into things like this, couse it's still photography. But I remember that you've mentioned it before.

mpgxsvcd
07-24-2010, 07:58 AM
PTool 3.40d updated

Added "PAL<->NTSC Menu" patch for GF1 and GH1.
In short - it allows you to change video standard on the fly.
"Video Out" menu is used. It'll simultaneously set you TV output standard and also camera shooting standard.
As a side effect, this patch enables Video Out menu for regions where it was disabled.

Both other PAL and NTSC patches removed.

I tried the 1080p AVC-HD setting on the GF1 and it appears to record in NTSC perfectly for shutter speeds between 30-60. For PAL it records for shutter speeds faster than about 1/300 sec.

It was weird because the band of light area across the top seemed to be dependent on shutter speed. As I made the shutter go faster it would make the band bigger or smaller depending on if I was in PAL or NTSC mode.

Here is a PAL sample of the 1080p video from the GF1. It is not as good as the 720p MJPEG though. Hopefully, you guys can figure this one out.
http://vimeo.com/13597744

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-26-2010, 01:52 AM
Small update.

AGC
I can use Volume value now (available from menu). It is quite good option having 7 steps from 0 to 6. So, no more basic interface problems.
Main problem is that we still did not know AGC routines and how they work.
WindCut settings looks like our most probable chance.
Unfortunately we have another layers between our position and actual low level stuff.
Overall GH1 internally looks like cabbage :-)

As for HDMI and TV out thing.
We know how all related parameters as set from menus, how they are adjusted according to each other (like HDMI mode if you select other standard) and many other things.

svecher
07-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Small update.
As for HDMI and TV out thing.
We know how all related parameters as set from menus, how they are adjusted according to each other (like HDMI mode if you select other standard) and many other things.
Great news, Vitaliy. Always one step ahead :)

nikgid
07-26-2010, 11:51 AM
I tried the 1080p AVC-HD setting on the GF1 and it appears to record in NTSC perfectly for shutter speeds between 30-60. For PAL it records for shutter speeds faster than about 1/300 sec.

It was weird because the band of light area across the top seemed to be dependent on shutter speed. As I made the shutter go faster it would make the band bigger or smaller depending on if I was in PAL or NTSC mode.

Here is a PAL sample of the 1080p video from the GF1. It is not as good as the 720p MJPEG though. Hopefully, you guys can figure this one out.
http://vimeo.com/13597744

I just had to try that, of course. I haven't managed yet to get such a clean picture as mpgxsvcd did. But I found something that I hope might help cracking that nut how to give the GF1 1080p: my shots look like the AVCHD codec seems to break or produce extreme amounts of mud while filming with the 1080p on the GF1. Curiously the mud gets considerably less while panning and takes over the whole picture when holding the camera still.

I did two sample shots of the same scene, one with panning and one with still camera. All was shot with a firmware with
_only_ the patches for
FHD-mode and
manual-movie-mode
checked
(and 3rd-party battery and language, but that shouldn't matter)
- no change of the AVCHD-codec etc.

Both where shot with
PAL, ISO400, 1/400, f1.4(Nikkor 50mm/f1.4).

Please tell me what kind of systematic tests might help collecting info to solve that GF1-1080p-AVCHD-puzzle. I would really like to help there and in two days time have some spare time to test.

Here are the original MTS-files. Please download them only, if you are going to do development work on this or really want help testing, as they are limited-downloads. Thanks.

Shot A - lots of panning, less (but still loads of) "mud" or borken codec:
http://rapidshare.com/files/409211814/20100726_173720.00004.MTS
Shot B - holding camera still, "mud" or broken codec all over the picture:
http://rapidshare.com/files/409208222/20100726_174014.00005.MTS

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-26-2010, 12:07 PM
It is not necessary to test FHD patch at this stage, as it have " for fun" state :-)

Try to test two othe video related patches instead (they are in testers section).
I don't see any reports on them.
I mean "Remove encoder limits" and "Overall Bitrate 2".
First one could be useful for static high bitrate shots using native (as we have problems in encoder here).

nikgid
07-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Try to test two othe video related patches instead (they are in testers section).
I don't see any reports on them.
I mean "Remove encoder limits" and "Overall Bitrate 2".
First one could be useful for static high bitrate shots using native (as we have problems in encoder here).

Okay, understood and will do.
I have some questions regarding those patches though:

1.) In the description of "Overall bitrate2" it says "you must use all three patches to have any effect": does that mean that I should check "overall bitrate2", "remove encoder limits" and also either "preset bitrate" or "preset bitrate2" or does it mean that I should also check both "preset bitrate(2)" patches? ...or is it worth testing/trying all possibilities for those patch combination?

2.) The format of the value of "preset bitrate" is still a bit confusing to me (default 234 for 23,4Mbps). The description says "try to set it according to video bitrate" - does that mean that if I am using a value of 50.000.000 for "Video Bitrate" (under -> patches for end users -> avchd compression) that I should put "500" (from 50.0Mbps) under "preset bitrate"?

Hope I am not asking too much to be spoon-fed :-)

Thanks for all your work btw. ... manual movie mode for GF1 was such a fantastic treat!

mpgxsvcd
07-26-2010, 01:14 PM
I would just like to say thank you to Vitaliy and everyone else who worked on getting manual video controls for the GF1. I took some videos of my son at the beach this weekend if very difficult light and the manual controls made all the difference in the world.

Now if only there was a firmware hack to add a view finder to my GF1. That would be some magic that I would like to see.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Okay, understood and will do.
I have some questions regarding those patches though:

1.) In the description of "Overall bitrate2" it says "you must use all three patches to have any effect": does that mean that I should check "overall bitrate2", "remove encoder limits" and also either "preset bitrate" or "preset bitrate2" or does it mean that I should also check both "preset bitrate(2)" patches? ...or is it worth testing/trying all possibilities for those patch combination?

Do not look at this hint. It is copy fron Overall bitrate patch hint.
We also need to test original Overall Bitrate (leaving it at defaul value or making it even lower).

2.) The format of the value of "preset bitrate" is still a bit confusing to me (default 234 for 23,4Mbps). The description says "try to set it according to video bitrate" - does that mean that if I am using a value of 50.000.000 for "Video Bitrate" (under -> patches for end users -> avchd compression) that I should put "500" (from 50.0Mbps) under "preset bitrate"?

Generally, yes.
But do not use this patches during testing.
They had been introduced to better understand compression.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Looking at Bracketing part.
As always Panasonic team style is amazing.
Simple design flaw lead to many many extra routines, like multiple code conversions, spagetti code, etc.
How to get number of frames you must shoot,? Ouch, we don't want easy ways, we convert selection to special code, than convert this code to other code, and then use other conversion to get frames number. Company pays for this, anyways.

mpgxsvcd
07-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Looking at Bracketing part.
As always Panasonic team style is amazing.
Simple design flaw lead to many many extra routines, like multiple code conversions, spagetti code, etc.
How to get number of frames you must shoot,? Ouch, we don't want easy ways, we convert selection to special code, than convert this code to other code, and then use other conversion to get frames number. Company pays for this, anyways.

We know you will straighten it all out and make it better in the process. Maybe Panasonic will see this and want to hire you away one day? :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

crunchy
07-27-2010, 12:30 AM
AGC
I can use Volume value now (available from menu). It is quite good option having 7 steps from 0 to 6. So, no more basic interface problems.

Does it mean that you can control volume manually? If yes, I am eagerly anticipating the next release of PTool for testing. :)

timbook2
07-27-2010, 04:40 AM
regarding AGC ( I imagine Auto Gain Control) it would be fantastic if we could turn this on/off because AGC is a brickwall limiter and pumps as hell...

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
07-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Hi Vitaliy:

Just an FYI: The online magazine, Pro Video Coalition, today published my comments as an "inline" update to Allan Tepper's recent article on your PTool3 software. My comments were an attempt to diplomatically correct & expand upon Allan's original article:
http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/atepper/story/happy_hacker_breaths_flexibility_power_and_quality _into_the_lumix_gh1/

Concerning your quest to contact useful individuals at Panasonic, it's possible some of the regular contributors to PVC might be helpful. For example, one of the PVC's founders, Adam Wilt of Meets The Eye, is an engineer and seems to be a good guy. Adam appears to have good connections at Panasonic, although most of them may be with Panasonic's pro/broadcast products division. Gary Adcock of Studio 37 is another very knowledgeable contributor with many industry connections. The principal PVC writers are listed here:
http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/aboutus

See also:
http://www.meetstheeye.com
http://www.studio37.com

Anyway, I hope my addition to Allan's article and the above info is helpful, and thanks again for PTool!

- Peter

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Hi Vitaliy:

Just an FYI: The online magazine, Pro Video Coalition, today published my comments as an "inline" update to Allan Tepper's recent article on your PTool3 software. My comments were an attempt to diplomatically correct & expand upon Allan's original article:
http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/atepper/story/happy_hacker_breaths_flexibility_power_and_quality _into_the_lumix_gh1/

Thanks. I'll try to use as much help as possible.
So, any people having some relations with Panasonic could be useful at this stage.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Small update on bracketing thing.

As I said initially this will be tought.
Bracketing menu have two selections - bracketing mode (from 3 1/3ev to 7 2/3ev) and
image sequence.
Main problem is that firmware use multiple memory areas copies (in separate tasks) and thus can reference same value using from 3(this is minimum) up to 9 different methods.
While I can change frames count (for example, from 7 to 3) at picture taking setup level, all else is not possible today.
EV steps and modes are hardcoded at some low shooting routines.
Any changes in such code are almost impossible to implement without introducing many bugs, this is btw main reason why we see so many cameras with similar functions.

Same thing in AVCHD encoder routines. You have menu selection code->video mode code->bitrate setting->transferred to encoder->comparisons->predefined settings inside video encoder. So, any settings adjustment at bitrate level won't directly affect encoder performance (is many cases). I really don't know how it is possible to write such code.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-28-2010, 05:32 PM
PTool 3.40d updated

Limiting bitrate patch and remove encoder limits patches removed.
All necessary things integrated in video bitrate patch.

"Manual movie modes" patch for GF1 improved.
Now movie mode changes have effect only in movie dial position.
Same as in GH1, but we still end up at P setting after power off or initial dial setting to movie position.
This is first patch made using gcc based IDE (as it small routine).

sarantoo
07-29-2010, 04:25 AM
PTool 3.40d updated

"Manual movie modes" patch for GF1 improved.
Now movie mode changes have effect only in movie dial position.
Same as in GH1, but we still end up at P setting after power off or initial dial setting to movie position.

I've tested the new manual movie mode but rather like the previous one better.

In previous version (not sure which one as it also says 3.40d), I can enter correspondent manual movie mode from any dial mode (P,A,S,M) if I choose "M" mode in "Manual Exposure Mode" menu. Just dial into any mode and hit menu twice.

I also love the fact that I can see what f-stop/shutter speed camera choose when in S/A/P mode. This also happens only when I choose 'M' mode in menu.

In the new version I need to set it in menu every time when I want to change mode from M to P/A/S which require more button pushes and it always reset to P when dial is turned or power on.

Many Thanks!

mpgxsvcd
07-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I've tested the new manual movie mode but rather like the previous one better.

In previous version (not sure which one as it also says 3.40d), I can enter correspondent manual movie mode from any dial mode (P,A,S,M) if I choose "M" mode in "Manual Exposure Mode" menu. Just dial into any mode and hit menu twice.

I also love the fact that I can see what f-stop/shutter speed camera choose when in S/A/P mode. This also happens only when I choose 'M' mode in menu.

In the new version I need to set it in menu every time when I want to change mode from M to P/A/S which require more button pushes and it always reset to P when dial is turned or power on.

Many Thanks!

I tried out the new bracketing menu option. It is kind of cool. If gives you the choice of whether you want to take the next bracket picture or not. If you are satisfied with the previous one you can just cancel the rest of the sequence. Now if you can get it to do in camera HDR I will be a believer.

I have to agree about reverting back to the old way of doing manual movie settings. I liked it better the old way. It gave us the option to choose when we wanted to use manual movie mode. I liked saving the custom “C2-3” and “C2-2” settings with manual movie mode with different options.

Could you change the manual movie options back in the next release?

+1 on some sort of incremental numbering even for maintenance releases.

Just curious as to why the 1080p AVC-HD is “just for fun” right now? That is the one option that everyone with a GF1 would love to have. From my testing it looks like it actually does work. It records 1080i at 29.97 FPS or 25 FPS. The static on the top seems to be related to shutter speed but I am sure we could figure out what is going on with some testing.

Did you say that we shouldn’t test it because you don’t think it will ever work or because you think the other options are more important?

nikgid
07-29-2010, 09:55 AM
PTool 3.40d updated

Limiting bitrate patch and remove encoder limits patches removed.
All necessary things integrated in video bitrate patch.

Okay, I have time to do some test-series this evening as promised - I guess I should be testing the "Overall bitrate 2" setting as Vitaliy asked.

My normally used AVCHD settings are:
Video Bitrate FHD/SH: 50.000.000 (H: 32.000.000 L: 22.000.000)
Overall Bitrate: 52.000.000

My question is:
What settings-series should I test for "Overall Bitrate 2"?
(the default setting in ptool is 9.000.000)
Should I go for 5.000.000 to 15.000.000 in steps of 1.000.000 or should I rather test something around 52.000.000 (as its the value of the old "Overall bitrate")?

Hope I am not acting completely dumb here, but the relation of "Overal Bitrate 2" and "Overall bitrate" is still unclear to me.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
As for old Manual Modes behaviour.
I'll try to add it to testers section in one of the next releases.
Problem with old approach is that it affects many things and is not suitable for normal people unaware of all consequences.

Overall bitrate and Overall bitrate 2 are used together in reality, one is two times larger then other.
Without detailed and systematic testing we won't know how they work exactly.

mpgxsvcd
07-29-2010, 01:00 PM
As for old Manual Modes behaviour.
I'll try to add it to testers section in one of the next releases.
Problem with old approach is that it affects many things and is not suitable for normal people unaware of all consequences.

Perfect! Thank you.

nikgid
07-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Did some testing of "overall bitrate" and "overall bitrate 2" today. It was my
first try at systematic test runs... so I have a bit to learn and much to
improve.

I did shoot gras as that is famous for producing AVCHD bitrate-peaks. The
problem with this is that even on a tripod the filesize sometimes seemed to have
quite a lot to do with how much the wind blew and thus how much the gras moved
:-)
So I will want to do another testrun tomorrow with a more static motiv -
suggestions for suitable motives very welcome!

The two conclusions that I would dare to make right now are:
- using "overall bitrate 2" with a value of "overall bitrate"/2 improves the
files bitrate (sometimes quite dramatically)
- having a "video bitrate" very close to the "overall bitrate" is inferior to
having a "video bitrate" well below "overall bitrate" (most of shots with "H"
are way bigger than with "SH" in my tests)

...hope this helps a bit... suggestions for further tests welcome! (I would play around with values for overlalbitrate2 in configuration G next if nothing else is suggested.)

Here are the test-results:

all tests shot with:
- GF1 (AVCHD 720p)
- 1/100s shutter, f4, ISO 100, on 50mm/1.4 Nikkor manual lens via manual movie mode
- all exactly 60 seconds in duration
- besides AVCHD-bitrate-patches only manual movie mode, 3rd party battery and
language patch checked to rule out any other interferences

(bitrate-patch values in million)

Configuration A)
plain vanilla GF1 AVCHD - no AVCHD codec bitrate patches:
filesize filename
SH 65654784 00035.MTS
H 60948480 00036.MTS
L 56616960 00037.MTS

Configuration B)
Video Bitrate SH:34 H:28 L:22
Overall Bitrate: 36
Overall Bitrate 2: - (not checked)
filesize filename
SH 60936192 00038.MTS
H 63043584 00039.MTS
L 68167680 00040.MTS

Configuration C)
Video Bitrate SH:34 H:28 L:22
Overall Bitrate 2: 18
filesize filename
SH 66840576 00042.MTS
H 57108480 00043.MTS
L 66226176 00044.MTS

Configuration D)
Video Bitrate SH:36 H:32 L:22
filesize filename
SH 72222720 00045.MTS
H 66471936 00046.MTS
L 64862208 00047.MTS

Configuration E)
Video Bitrate SH:36 H:32 L:22
Overall Bitrate 2: 18
filesize filename
SH 78348288 00048.MTS
H 131260416 00049.MTS
L 81887232 00050.MTS

Configuration F)
Video Bitrate SH:50 H:32 L:22
Overall Bitrate: 56
filesize filename
SH 64991232 00051.MTS
H 100675584 00052.MTS
L 83558400 00053.MTS

Configuration G)
Video Bitrate SH:50 H:32 L:22
Overall Bitrate: 56
Overall Bitrate 2: 28
filesize filename
SH 118886400 00054.MTS
H 153169920 00055.MTS
L 128643072 00056.MTS

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-30-2010, 01:49 PM
So, overall bitrate is time related thing (as 90000 is one second time).
May be it defines window length for bitrate measurement and adjustment?
How it behaves with original values - 18.000.000 and 9.000.000 and high bitrate ?
I see many values changingt through testings while we need to change only one value.
It is interesting to see original overall bitrate (not checked at all) and increasing video bitrate step by step.
Next same thing with OB and OB2 set to 56m and 28m.

Guys, please repost your reports to AVCHD research thread - it is much better suited for this. OK?

cbrandin
07-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Very interesting results. StreamParser suggests an Overall Bitrate setting. Actually, this is a suggested minimum because among other things it causes a buffer to be allocated. I have found that if I don't set Overall Bitrate to at least this value I get buffer overrun errors in FHD mode when 24pN is checked(the check file feature will detect these). Obviously, though, Overall Bitrate does more than just allocate buffers.

Chris

Voldenuit
07-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Just like to report that with the FHD option checked, my GF1 is unable to get AF lock when shooting video in FHD with my ME45 lens. It will simply rack back and forth.

UPDATE 2/8/10: Tested FHD mode with the 20/1.7 and encountered the same issue. Camera will AF before starting a recording, but once shooting a FHD video, AF will fail to lock on.

Camera firmware 1.22 with 3.40d hack, lens firmwares all up to date. Test carried out in AF-S and single point AF.

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-02-2010, 12:56 AM
I cleaned thread a bit removing discussion about oscillators as it have no reality ground(participants are free to make thread outside development).

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Our first target must be IDE development.
Notepad++ while being good editor is not suitable for our task.
Cygwin must be also shaved as much as possible.
If anyone could port compilers for C and assembler under MinGW it'll be very good.

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-02-2010, 01:08 AM
Added "Problems and targets" sticky thread.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=218790

g.l
08-02-2010, 05:12 AM
I cleaned thread a bit removing discussion about oscillators as it have no reality ground(participants are free to make thread outside development).

Fair enough, but my original question was if anyone has more info on the main IC such as pinouts, or a diagram of the main PCB? If so please PM me, thanks.

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Made first usable IDE version.

It can compile both C and Assembler files.
Do not require using of strings for inline assembler (it uses preprocessor before compile to automatically add them).

It have lexers for MN103S assembler, so it is pretty usable.

See Compilers thread for more info and download link
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=217589

bw2046
08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Thank you for your great works.

I found a problem after hacked the firmware by using 3.40d: after hacked the firmware, language option not work for original Japanese GH1 model, as no language menu appeared in menu setting and the langauage can only be shown in Japanese.

Thank you

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Thank you for your great works.
I found a problem after hacked the firmware by using 3.40d: after hacked the firmware, language option not work for original Japanese GH1 model, as no language menu appeared in menu setting and the langauage can only be shown in Japanese.

First, this is development thread.
Second, you are first one reporting about this for long time.
I don't have Japanese GH1, but Japanese G1 works fine as well as normal GH1.
To conclude. You are doing something wrong.

bw2046
08-04-2010, 06:46 AM
First, this is development thread.
Second, you are first one reporting about this for long time.
I don't have Japanese GH1, but Japanese G1 works fine as well as normal GH1.
To conclude. You are doing something wrong.

Thanks... Will check it again on my Japanese GH1,

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Reminder

We are still seeking for good C++ developers.

Main task for today is improving WinGraph.
Please look at corresponding thread, it have ready to compile source and our task list:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=213815

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-06-2010, 05:26 AM
Had been hacking air conditioners last two days. Just to make life possible :-)

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-07-2010, 01:03 AM
PTool 3.40d updated

GF1
Added "Manual movie modes (old version)" patch (by request).
Added "Version patch for v1.24" (this is totally untested, must be used alone by owners of cameras with v1.24 firmware!)

GH1
Added "Movie format error" patch. (removes error if you try to record PAL footage on NTSC card).

Added "Lens mount flag" patch (prevents Lens not mounted errors).
Added "External microphone" patch (makes camera think that external mic is attached, useful then external mic is used with remote shutter).
Last two patches are risky patches (system routines called before any interface), so, I warned you. But we need to know how they work to go further.

mpgxsvcd
08-07-2010, 08:00 AM
PTool 3.40d updated

GF1
Added "Version patch for v1.24" (this is totally untested, must be used alone by owners of cameras with v1.24 firmware!)

GH1
Added "Movie format error" patch. (removes error if you try to record PAL footage on NTSC card).

Added "External microphone" patch (makes camera think that external mic is attached, useful then external mic is used with remote shutter).
Last two patches are very risky patches. First one just risky :-)

Thank you. Those are some great features.

alignment1
08-07-2010, 11:00 AM
PTool 3.40d updated

)

Your awesome dude, keep up the good work!:thumbsup:

crunchy
08-07-2010, 02:44 PM
PTool 3.40d updated

This is very interesting! Some time ago I was wondering if something like that is possible. :)

I would just like to ask you something. Is it possible to distinguish PTool releases by numbers (e.g. PTool 3.41)? Namely, it's not easy to refer to which version are we talking about in some threads.

Lflex
08-07-2010, 09:45 PM
PTool 3.40d updated

GF1

Tried the "Version patch for v1.24" without any other paches selected. Unfortunately the firmware it wasn't recognized by the camera as usual (see my camera details in my signature).

Thanks for working on this problem.

BTW: Another poster in the general "GF1 GH1 Hack problem thread" mentions a GF1__123.bin available from Panasonic France - has that been investigated?
Link to thread (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2071061&postcount=302)

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-08-2010, 01:42 AM
PTool 3.40d updated

General
Release build date present in window caption.
Added short message that suggest to store settings first for empty settings slots.

GH1
Added "MJPEG Playback error" patch. Then playing high bitrate MJPEG movies you see read error message and playback stops. Now it must just stop without any error message :-) So, it is not solution of MJPEG playback problem. Not yet.

P.S. I need test reports for latest patches.

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-08-2010, 05:47 AM
PTool 3.40d updated, yet again

GH1
Modified "AVCHD 1080p24/25->720p24/25" patch. I hope that changes allow to get proper 720p frame (not cut out one as before).
Added "MJPEG Playback error 2" patch. Read description of first version. Try each one separately end report one that works.

Want to remind that without your reports we won't get any progress.

Isaac_Brody
08-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Tested Modified "AVCHD 1080p24/25->720p24/25" patch

Not working, it just cut out the left corner of the 1080 frame.

Stills:

http://www.isaacbrody.com/gh13testing/before.jpg
http://www.isaacbrody.com/gh13testing/after.jpg

Isaac_Brody
08-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Tried both MJPEG Playback Error 2 patches.

First one: Didn't get error but file didn't play.

Second one: "Read Error Please Check The Card."

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Tested Modified "AVCHD 1080p24/25->720p24/25" patch

Not working, it just cut out the left corner of the 1080 frame.

Thanks, try to test other patches.

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Tried both MJPEG Playback Error 2 patches.

First one: Didn't get error but file didn't play.

Second one: "Read Error Please Check The Card."

Yes, it won't play, but error must be gone.

Can you try MJPEG with good start part (low detail), so we can see stop in process.
Also, try to damage AVCHD file (place garbage in the middle, or something like it).
Test MJPEG playback then cam is connected to TV. As it has different menu in this case.

Isaac_Brody
08-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Tried connected to tv.

MJPEG error patch 1 and 2: It shows up when connected to tv. Didn't play though. I shot low detail of table without bottle.

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Tried connected to tv.

MJPEG error patch 1 and 2: It shows up when connected to tv. Didn't play though. I shot low detail of table without bottle.

Sorry don't understand you.
Error shows up?
Or MJPEG playback stops?
How about damaged AVCHD?

So, as far as I understand error is gone using first patch only then not connected to tv.

Stupid question. Are you able to update firmware using play button during TV output active?

Btw. Test PAL recording on NTSC card (or reverse), please. It is not risky.

Isaac_Brody
08-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Error doesn't show up when connected to tv in both modes, but still no playback. I click play, you hear that slideshow music for tv mode but no playback happens.

What do you mean by damaged AVCHD? Not sure what you mean by putting garbage in the middle.

Will test the PAL on NTSC later, does this require the in camera NTSC/PAL switch? Or just doing a firmware update and then recording in both modes?

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Error doesn't show up when connected to tv in both modes, but still no playback. I click play, you hear that slideshow music for tv mode but no playback happens.

It does not show without patches also, right?
Most important for now is error message and not playback or not.

What do you mean by damaged AVCHD? Not sure what you mean by putting garbage in the middle.

Get this thing
http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Products/home/hex-editor-free.html

And make garbage in the middle of MTS file on SD card :-)

Will test the PAL on NTSC later, does this require the in camera NTSC/PAL switch? Or just doing a firmware update and then recording in both modes?

Yes, use PAL<->NTSC patch also.
And try recording different footage on same card (changing standard in menu).

tyampel
08-08-2010, 01:59 PM
PTool 3.40d updated

GF1

GH1

Last two patches are risky patches (system routines called before any interface), so, I warned you. But we need to know how they work to go further.

Please be more specific about the external microphone patch.
The microphone uses the first three connections of the four contacts on the plug.
The remote control uses the last two rings, contacts 3 and 4 close to the base as in this
schematic

http://www.instructables.com/id/Panasonic-G1-GH1-Remote-Shutter-Release/

My guess is that the camera can tell what is connected - mic or remote - by measuring the resistance across points 3 and 4. If it is zero, it means they are shorted by the microphone plug, if it is greater than 2 Kohm then a remote is connected.

My guess is your patch ignores the zero resistance test result.
But the microphone still needs to be connected in a way as not to shorten connections 3 and 4, rendering the remote useless.

Please confirm that a special 4 contact plug needs to be adapted to the microphone to make it work with the remote.

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Please be more specific about the external microphone patch.
The microphone uses the first three connections of the four contacts on the plug.
The remote control uses the last two rings, contacts 3 and 4 close to the base as in this
schematic

We had some talks about simple switching schematic.
Plus I just need to test such patches and see how camera behaves.

tyampel
08-09-2010, 08:06 AM
We had some talks about simple switching schematic.
Plus I just need to test such patches and see how camera behaves.

The best way to test this is open up one of those cheap third-party remotes and solder in a headphones extension cord using just the three first contacts.
That will make sure that a plugged in mic will not shorten out the remote control contacts.

I will give it a shot either tonight or later in the week.
Thanks for the patch. It will hopefully allow people to use external mics, or Zooms with the remote control.

Lpowell
08-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Please do not do this change… a cut out (crop) would be very useful if it was of the centre of the frame - for c-mount lenses. C-mount lenses would suddenly become very useful - and bargains.
I think you misunderstand the issue. The patch has never worked as intended - instead of scanning a 1280x720 rectangle at the center of the sensor, it scans the upper left corner of the sensor while displaying the full sensor in the viewfinder. If this could be fixed - either by scaling the full-size sensor or with a correctly centered crop - it would be a very useful feature.

Isaac_Brody
08-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Btw. Test PAL recording on NTSC card (or reverse), please. It is not risky.

Just tried this, doesn't work. Camera freezes after you record one format to the card. I recorded NTSC and when I switched to PAL it froze. I didn't get an error, but image on screen froze though I could still see the histogram and exposure reading onscreen. Also tried recording PAL first before recording NTSC. And I even tried splitting the files up with an MJPEG recording between each. No go.

This was with MOVIE FORMAT PATCH enabled.

Stupid question. Are you able to update firmware using play button during TV output active?

Nope. TV Output disables firmware update.

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-12-2010, 04:54 AM
PTool 3.40d updated (12.08 release)

Added "AVCHD encoder error" patch to testers section. Patch requires extensive testing. I hope it'll reduce AVCHD freezing problems.

Isaac_Brody
08-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Added "AVCHD encoder error" patch to testers section. Patch requires extensive testing. I hope it'll reduce AVCHD freezing problems.

How exactly should this be tested? Is this a patch to test/enable PAL and NTSC recording on the same card?

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-12-2010, 08:36 AM
How exactly should this be tested? Is this a patch to test/enable PAL and NTSC recording on the same card?

No. It is about freezing during recording. In native modes, etc.

Isaac_Brody
08-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Ah, I'm not experiencing freezes during recording so not sure how to approach this testing.

svecher
08-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Ah, I'm not experiencing freezes during recording so not sure how to approach this testing.
Isaac, I believe your main working settings are PTool "C" + Native and you are mostly using manual lenses, right? In most real-world situations (with enough motion in the frame) I think that setup will work well. However, throw that puppy on a tripod and shoot a Death Chart and you will very likely get a "native crash." Also, shoot with an AF lens in AF mode, as I've determined that to be a factor in bringing on the crash. I haven't tested new patches for about two weeks now, as I took an untested configuration and royally screwed a nice weeked of shooting, so I don't have the hands on scoop on the latest and the greatest. FWIW, I'm running the following settings (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2059784&postcount=363)with PTool current as of that post's date. Since then some patches were removed and consolidated, so results may vary with the latest dev version.

So, I would first do the static Death Chart shot to cause a crash (and confirm you don't have a special magic cam). Then add new patch into the mix and see what happens. Let's continue discussion in this thread (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=215356) and leave systematic reports here.

Ian-T
08-12-2010, 12:15 PM

That’s what I thought a week ago with my settings. I had no issues with 24p and a higher bitrate (for about a week or more)...until someone told me to shoot a tree in bright sunlight while the camera is on a tripod (static scene). I kept the settings anyways because i asked myself..."how often am I going to shoot a scene like that?" I could have went a month or more (maybe) until I found out the hard way. But it is good to know the weaknesses.

richtrav
08-12-2010, 02:10 PM
I've been trying out the latest ptool and checked the AVCHD encoder error box and results seem to be no better than before, bummer. Tried about 10 combos of various bitrates, GOPs, checking only certain bitrate boxes etc but results look similar: it's just as easy to crash the camera or replicate the blank P/muddy I bug. Also the 1080->720 resize still seems to crop off the lower right part of the image.

tyampel
08-12-2010, 04:20 PM
PTool 3.40d updated

GF1

GH1

Vitaliy.

I updated my camere and checked the "Lens mount flag" option.
Now the camera is displaying "The lens is not attached properly" message and there is no way to get rid of them.
Looks like I bricked my camera.

I also checked the "Prevent version compare" option to be able to restore a Panasonic version of firmware.

But I can't load it.

I tried to change the kit lens to another 20/1.7 lens. Did not help.
Put a Pentax lens with an adapter. Did not help.
Moving the lens and pressing the mounting button did not help.

Tried to put the camera into Service Mode.
Does not work as I can't get rid of the error message.

Please help.

I placed the original 1.32 firmware on the SD, but can't make the camera go into update mode.
Any ideas?

This seems to be a very dangerous patch, so other users should be warned.
I wander what will Panasonic charge me for fixing this.

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Vitaliy.
Now the camera is displaying "The lens is not attached properly" message and there is no way to get rid of them.
Looks like I bricked my camera.

Yes, it can be so.

Patch was very risky. It had been stated.

Despite that this error is not blocking one (like battery), this was the reason I selected this variant.
Normally you can press Play button during such error and update is working.
Try all modes of the main wheel and all modes of AF wheel. Remove battery before each try.
Try to connect camera to computer before power on.

This seems to be a very dangerous patch, so other users should be warned.

Both patches already removed from PTool release.
Sadly they had been planned to be last risky patches.
And in start of next week I planned totally remove them among few other patches.

I wander what will Panasonic charge me for fixing this.

Good idea is to try going to service center directly.
If it won't help, you need stored ROM values and replace mainboard.

alignment1
08-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Mainboard replace will be a few hundred bucks- I'm getting mine replaced right now--here's to hoping that VK beats the new firmware soon....as I'm sure I'll be getting a new mainboard with new firmware :(

S. Matthews
08-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Vitaliy.

I know this sounds obvious but have you tried switching the setting in the menu that say's no lens that lets you shoot with no lens, that's what I have been using maybe that will help... most likely not and I have no idea what I'm talking about.

hope everything works out alright

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Mainboard replace will be a few hundred bucks- I'm getting mine replaced right now--here's to hoping that VK beats the new firmware soon....as I'm sure I'll be getting a new mainboard with new firmware :(

First, just let him go to service center. This error is very common to GH1.

alignment1
08-13-2010, 04:43 AM
First, just let him go to service center. This error is very common to GH1.
gotcha:thumbsup: but it sounded like it was more of a 'constant' problem as opposed to an intermittent problem....which I've had both. I've owned 3 of these cams and in all of the that message every so often will come up, but not hamper my shooting-, BUT this last issue I had it became a CONSTANT message- I've had the cam looked at- and the Mainboard needs replacing and is enroute to Panasonic service center as we speak, (type):embarasse

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Friday, 13th :-)

tyampel
08-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Yes, it can be so.

Patch was very risky. It had been stated.

Despite that this error is not blocking one (like battery), this was the reason I selected this variant.

T.Y. To back up the ROM I need to be in Service mode, but can't get there.

I was hoping you have some kind of a backdoor combination of key presses to force the camera into firmware upgrade mode for emergencies like this.
Perhaps you should implement it for situations like mine where there is nothing to lose by trying it.

tyampel
08-13-2010, 07:36 AM
I know this sounds obvious but have you tried switching the setting in the menu that say's no lens that lets you shoot with no lens, that's what I have been using maybe that will help... most likely not and I have no idea what I'm talking about.

hope everything works out alright

This was done long before as I am using legacy lenses.
Anyway I can't get to the menu or any other display except the PC mode by connecting it to a PC.

Thanks anyway.

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-13-2010, 07:51 AM
T.Y. To back up the ROM I need to be in Service mode, but can't get there.

Sorry, I thought that you had backup already.
As we had sme talks about this long time ago.
Trying risky patches without ROM backup is very bad idea.

I was hoping you have some kind of a backdoor combination of key presses to force the camera into firmware upgrade mode for emergencies like this.
Perhaps you should implement it for situations like mine where there is nothing to lose by trying it.

Yes, it is very good idea.
Problem is - it is almost impossible to implement in current firmware.

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Anyway I can't get to the menu or any other display except the PC mode by connecting it to a PC.

Do not hurry.
Go step by step.
Try to frequently press Play during power up and during disconnecting USB cable from PC.

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-15-2010, 10:20 AM
We reached very important milestone today.

From now on you can be part of research team.
First, we'll focus on AVCHD related things.
According to results and progress more information will be revealed.

For more details look at this thread
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=220144

Benedict
08-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Note also that the GH1 uses the venerable Dolby Digital Encoder (AC-3) rather than the contemporary Dolby Digital Plus Encoder (E-AC-3). While DD+ encoders can produce better quality streams with reduced bitrates, they require more time and processing resources to do their work than the previous generation of DD encoders. The Dolby Digital encoder used in the GH1 uses well-tested and highly efficient technology with a long and successful track record to produce reliable high-quality results.
As one of the people highly involved in the L.A.M.E. mp3 codec development since 1998, and especially the Variable Bitrate methods used in LAME, I don't see much of the 'dolby' part in the AC3 encoder used in the GH1. It's a simple fork of the best known 2-channel joint-stereo MP3 encoder code by the Fraunhofer Group, with a small twist. You can see this when you look in the headers of the audio from the GH1, after demuxing the streams. The only thing 'dolby' about the ac3 in the GH1 is the convention it uses to tell the playback media it is only sourced from 2 channels. Furthermore, for 2 channels (only stereo) AC3 is one of the lowest quality lossy codecs around.

Raising the audio-bitrate to ~384 kbit/s is a good idea if you want your recording to be anywhere near professional quality. Either way, transcoding from the AC3 of a GH1 video is a really BAD idea and should be avoided at all cost.

Also, read here for some backgrounds on AC3 and its supposed 'quality':
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=78815&view=findpost&p=696892

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Raising the audio-bitrate to ~384 kbit/s is a good idea if you want your recording to be anywhere near professional quality. Either way, transcoding from the AC3 of a GH1 video is a really BAD idea and should be avoided at all cost.

Yes, rising audio bitrate is not a problem.
Problem is in-camera playback of such files.
You can request IDA database personal key and look at this problem yourself.

P.S. lpowell is Dolby Labs engineer as far as i remember :-).

Lpowell
08-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Furthermore, for 2 channels (only stereo) AC3 is one of the lowest quality lossy codecs around.

Raising the audio-bitrate to ~384 kbit/s is a good idea if you want your recording to be anywhere near professional quality.
Prove it.

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Today I want to write about software that allows me to work on GH1 hack and saved amazing amount of time.
Plus it is useful to any computer user, not reversers only :-)

Software is called RightNote.

http://www.bauerapps.com/intro_page_2007.png

http://www.bauerapps.com/RightNote.html (http://www.bauerapps.com/RightNote.html)

You can find many applications of this type. I, personally, used most of them.
But RightNote is generally the best one if you need stability and usability.
Author support is also outstanding.

Plus price is really low, $29 only.

So, if you are writing scripts, use equipment lists or keep all renting details (yes, it has support for tables, like excel), store html snippets (yes, it has syntax highilgh for this) and do not want your wife to know about LBA sickness (yes, it has very transparent strong encryption support) this thing is for you.

Thanks to Rael Bauer, author of this wonderful software, you have time limited offer to dvxuser.com members to get this software for $20 only.

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-20-2010, 03:09 AM
You can read interview with me here :

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/an-interview-with-vitaly-kiselev-the-gh1gf1-hacker/

plasmasmp
08-20-2010, 03:29 AM
Excellent article. Interviews and news about the GH1 hack will hopefully push Panasonic into discussing development with you. I'm sure you've sold more than 1000 GH1s as well!

Ian-T
08-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Hmm....I also think 1000 is a very conservative number. Good interview Vitaliy. DVXUser is more of a Panasonic site than anything else so I really hope Panasonic is watching and taking user feedback in consideration for future products. I believe that's already the case for thier pro equipment (just guessing here). Canon certainly saw the potential and acted on it after the fact.

Xandros
08-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Fantastic interview!
Just to know... Two of us bought Gh1 just because THIS forum and because Vitaliy's patch. Don't know how many people did this but believe that many people did the same.

Thanks again Vitaliy!

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Problem with even 1000 is that this is very large number for GH1.
Panasonic sold around 30000 system cameras in six months as far as I remember.
And GF1 is arount 50-70% sales, and G1, G2 and G10 are also selling better than GH1.

xenogears
08-20-2010, 08:52 PM
1000 is a nice number, but many more keep their GH1 thanks to the patch ;)

mpgxsvcd
08-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Excellent article. Interviews and news about the GH1 hack will hopefully push Panasonic into discussing development with you. I'm sure you've sold more than 1000 GH1s as well!

What about the GF1? The hack is arguably more important to the GF1 because it adds manual video controls to a camera that is half the price of the GH1. I doubt Panasonic was happy about that addition.

The GF2 better be at least as good as the GF13.

cheul
08-21-2010, 03:31 AM
I bought a GF1 last week after finding about Vitaliy's breakthrough with video manual controls. Prior to that I would've probably gone with a NEX.

darkman1983
08-22-2010, 06:42 AM
Hi guys!
I'm interested in G2 Hacking ^^

Just donated 130 $ to you HF!

Greetings

Dark

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-22-2010, 03:12 PM
PTool 3.40d updated (release date is present in program caption!)

Fixed problem with information background color on different color schemes.
Added two patches for AVCHD research (testers only).

knight999
08-24-2010, 06:18 AM
Hi! Vitaliy, I am from Beijing China, thank you very much for the great masterpiece. I often visit your posts, many of our friends have bought GH1, are using your super tools. I have a suggestion that would you change MJPEG [WVGA] from 848X480 pixels (30 frames/sec.) to 720x576 pixels (25 frames/sec) PAL, I rarely use the default of GH1 WVGA. My English is not very good. Thank you very much again.

DaLiV
08-24-2010, 08:34 AM
knight999:
and why not to use resolution "as is" and simple pan/crop in editor

darkman1983
08-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Any Status Update on G2? How much is left before Final Collection of the Hardware?

garhodes
08-25-2010, 12:14 AM
I have been doing tests with low GOP settings for AVCHD. I have found that, though I can get fairly reliable recording with the FHD, setting lower GOP for 720p (no matter the bitrate, or if it is HD, H, or L, both PAL and NTSC) can always be made to crash by shooting extremely low light (I get a reliable crash by shooting a dark room with the television on). This makes me think that the crash is related to one of two bugs in reducing GOP numbers for 720p: either it is related to noise reduction operation, or it is related to the large amount of similarity in frames-- I would guess the former. But it is interesting that I can only force this crash in 720p modes, but not with similar low GOP settings for FHD.

abasfly
08-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Vitally is it possible to add the old change fps function in mjpeg mode. I know it skips frames but I intend to use is for timelapse (2fps). Mabey it could be a timelapse only option, changing the header of the file from 30fps to xfps so it wont need post work.
I don´t know if I got the terms right hope you understand.
I know modulr (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/member.php?u=54652) played with this option but in an old release.

David Cole
08-29-2010, 11:55 AM
I believe without experients it is impossible to say if it works good enought or not.
And 3D sync is a good target :-)

We've done quite a bit of work using the wired remote and other means to try and sync two GH1's. I've started a new thread to share all of our work so far. The good news is, when it works, the 3D from the GH1's (with the GH13 firmware, of course) is very high quality.

abasfly
08-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Vitally is it possible to add the old change fps function in mjpeg mode. I know it skips frames but I intend to use is for timelapse (2fps). Mabey it could be a timelapse only option, changing the header of the file from 30fps to xfps so it wont need post work.
I don´t know if I got the terms right hope you understand.
I know modulr (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/member.php?u=54652) played with this option but in an old release.

I just noticed that function exists for gh1, It is the GF1 (that I have) that is missing that :(
bummer, know I don´t even recall if it ever had it for the GF1.
I´ll recapitulate the question, is it possible to ad the 30fps to xfps to the GF1 as well?
if so it would be nice to focus it as a timelapse function.
thanks

Vitaliy Kiselev
08-30-2010, 04:05 AM
Back from small vacation.
First, we need to fix few very small things.
Plus add user patches.
Next, we'll wait for some results on AVCHD part.
As soon as some positive things will be done, MJPEG part will be open.
I'll start to make many HDMI experiments as soon as I'll get my small HDMI screen.

mpgxsvcd
08-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Back from small vacation.
First, we need to fix few very small things.
Plus add user patches.
Next, we'll wait for some results on AVCHD part.
As soon as some positive things will be done, MJPEG part will be open.
I'll start to make many HDMI experiments as soon as I'll get my small HDMI screen.

Hope your vacation went well. Is that small HDMI screen 60 inches or 65 inches?:laugh:

NURBS
09-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Wow lot of changes! ;-)

NURBS
09-02-2010, 02:29 AM
I did think about new firmware problem. It is possible if you have microcontroller programmer for AM3. One of problem it will be disassembling your camera. (You lose your warranty).

PS: I will search People who have this device. (And really possible download new firmware for microcontroler).

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-02-2010, 03:25 AM
Looking to compile simple thing like

.org 0x0004D5DD
.global _start
.type _start, @function
.equ Example_Function, 0x0004D000
_start:
mov 0x100, D0
call Example_Function, [D2,A2], 0xC
ret [], 4

Unfortunately you can't set actual start address by
.org directive (it is only offset from file start, and start is 0x00).
Same thing with calls. Example_Function is external function and assembler do not generate proper address (as it must be realtive to current address) and place constant in instruction opcode as it is.

May be right approach is:

.global _start
.type _start, @function
.equ Example_Function, 0x0004D000
.equ Our_Function_Start, 0x0004D5DD
_start:
mov 0x100, D0
call .+Example_Function-Our_Function_Start, [D2,A2], 0xC
ret [], 4

"." must return current assembling address. But it act very strange.

mrduck
09-02-2010, 07:26 AM
I didn't ask for the keys yet, so I didn't see disassembled code... it's also my first look at the mn103 manual (that I believe it is OCRed and contains some errors...)

MOVM A0,(SP) //save A0
reg A0 = Example_Function
call jumper_function,[Ax...],0x28
MOVM (SP),A0 // restore A0
jumper_function: jmp( A0 )

Example_Function is absolute but CALL is relative only
since jumper_function is known address to the assembler it can calculate the offset.
jmp( A0 ) is absolute

of course you lose A0 (or other register) value...

it is not possible to use CALLS since it needs RETS, while you probably will have a RET or RETF...

Another trick (in order to not waste a register) can be to manipulate the stack...

But I'm confident that there is a way to tell the assembler that Example_Function is an address

PS: these were the problems I referred in a previous message with the term of "linking"...

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-02-2010, 07:49 AM
I didn't ask for the keys yet, so I didn't see disassembled code... it's also my first look at the mn103 manual (that I believe it is OCRed and contains some errors...)

I completely don't get your point.
All I need is correct call argument calculation (as it is relative in MN assembler).

mrduck
09-02-2010, 07:58 AM
JMP (Ax), CALLS (Ax) and JSR (Ax) are absolute and not relative, according to the manual...

My idea is that since the assembler can't calculate the Example_Function relative address we can call a function the assembler knows and then force a absolute jmp to the address whose value is in A0.

Unfortunately, the only way to have an absolute JMP is using a address...

JMP (An)
An→PC
Stores the contents of register An in program counter(PC).

Using a JMP you don't touch the stack and so the terminating RET/RETF finds the correct values in place...
the only problem is that you lose one register

PS: from your sample code it seems that you must know, for each routine you want to call, which registers to save and how much space to reserve...

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Again.
I need working call adress calculation.
Any JMP (), CALLS (). are not an option.

All I can see right now is that assembler do not work correctly.

call 0x100 + . , [], 0
mov 0x100 + . , D1;

Second operator argument work normally and adds current address to 0x100, while first do not work as expected and ignores current address.

This is more GNU assembler thing then MN specific.

"The Special Dot Symbol
The special symbol . refers to the current address that as is assembling into. Thus, the expression melvin: .long . defines melvin to contain its own address. Assigning a value to . is treated the same as a .org directive. Thus, the expression .=.+4 is the same as saying .space 4."

mrduck
09-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Ok, sorry, I wrongly interpreted your message. please delete my messages

DaLiV
09-02-2010, 09:08 AM
.org 0x00000000
_baseAddress:
.equ Example_Function,_baseAddress+0x0004D000

.org 0x0004D5DD
.global _start
.type _start, @function
_start:
mov 0x100, D0
call Example_Function, [D2,A2], 0x0C
call 0x100 + . , [], 0
ret [], 4produces (loaded with offset 0x40000000 as main firmware) :

ROM:4004D5DD 2C 00 01 mov 0x100, D0
ROM:4004D5E0 CD 20 FA A0 0C call sub_4004D000, [D2,A2], 0xC
ROM:4004D5E5 CD 00 01 00 00 call 0x4004D6E5, [], 0
ROM:4004D5EA DF 00 04 ret [], 4

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-02-2010, 09:18 AM
DaLiV - your approach do not work in reality.
.org instruction set offset inside current section.
And I need to call function that is very far from my current location (do not look at exact address values in my example).
Your approach do not work with 0x40010000 and 0x70030000 addresses, for example. :-)
So, I need universal approach to calculate call address.
May be it won't work without changes in call operand processing in GNU assembler for MN.

DaLiV
09-02-2010, 09:37 AM
.org 0x00000000
_baseAddress:
.equ Example_Function,_baseAddress+0x0004D000
.equ _baseDataAddress,_baseAddress+0x70030000 # (base for 0x70030000)
.equ _baseDirectAddress,_baseAddress+0x40000000 # (base for 0x40000000)
.equ var1, _baseDataAddress+0x65432
.equ var2, _baseDirectAddress+0x12345

.org 0x0004D5DD
.global _start
.type _start, @function
_start:
mov 0x100, D0
call Example_Function, [D2,A2], 0x0C
call 0x100 + . , [], 0
mov (var1), D0
mov (var2), A0
ret [], 4
result:

ROM:4004D5DD 2C 00 01 mov 0x100, D0
ROM:4004D5E0 CD 20 FA A0 0C call sub_4004D000, [D2,A2], 0xC
ROM:4004D5E5 CD 00 01 00 00 call 0x4004D6E5, [], 0
ROM:4004D5EA FC A4 32 54 09 70 mov (0x70095432), D0
ROM:4004D5F0 FC A0 45 23 01 40 mov (dword_40012345), A0
ROM:4004D5F6 DF 00 04 ret [], 4

simple don't forget about relative and direct adressing

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-02-2010, 09:45 AM
And?
What do you want to show by this?
I need proper address calculation in call instructions.
And stop using this .org things, they are useless (.org 0 can be used, if you need one :-) ).

Show me how this will be working with my routine address = 0x40010000 and function address 0x70030000.

P.S. "0x100 + ." in call actually do not work. Same generated binary code will be if you leave only 0x100.

DaLiV
09-02-2010, 09:53 AM
show what code you want to get exactly

second org you need to postion your function at needed address (if can't understand why i'm usse that)

need call to function @0x70030000 ?

P.S. mine code exactly as shown compiled to what yoou see - and that "call 0x100 +. "compiled correctly (look at ROM:4004D5E5) - or you want something other code ?

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-02-2010, 10:02 AM
.org can't be used in reality. forget about it.
as it specify offset inside current section.
so, org 0x4000000 could cause only memory overflow, and not any usable thing :-)

I need to be able to call function at any 32bit address from my routine located in some predeterminated 32bit address (not small :-) ) And it must be normal call instructions, not using any registers and other "magic".

Other important thing is ability to specify starting address for current section (no, org is not useful here).

DaLiV
09-02-2010, 11:36 AM
found problem - call address on assembly for long addresses have bug when there also persist registers and stack size , that is not 0 ...

P.S.
about .org - you are not right
0x40000000 = .org 0
and NOT ".org 0x40000000" ... but about that i've already sayed to you (relative to begginning of file not absolute addressing) ... ignorance is bliss :) ...

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-02-2010, 12:39 PM
1) About ".org" I am right, because I made many experiments and all works according to GNU assembler documentation. I can't use "org 0" as I need to use data inside my programs and all of them must have proper address. I don't see any way to specify correct starting address inside assembler file. Only in linker phase you can specify it, as far as I understand.
2) About long addresses bug I did not understand anything from your explanation.

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Sorry, but all this is useless.

Get any large routine from firmware (with calls to 0x4.. part and 0x7.. parts).
And provide procedure to compile it without any modifications (other than quickly defining constants).

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Sorry, I'll pass this discussion, as it is going nowhere.
Right now I see many rush answers without more deep thinking about actual problem.

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-05-2010, 08:17 AM
I removed few messages from DaLiV as they can be misleading to anyone who want actually look at this problem solution.

Problem description:
We have assembler routines that must be located at
0x7C100000 (for example) address. After routines we have data that are referenced from this routines (so, address is slightly larger).
Routines must be able to call any routines located in 32bit address space (ala call 0x46000000) using normal call assembler opcode
ala
.equ my_routine, 0x46000000
call my_roitine;

Right now I found following solution:
Use GNU Assembler and treat each routine name as external symbols.
Make file with such symbols and use it at linker stage (--just-symbols=filename).
Use linker options to set loading address ( -Ttext address ) <-- this one is working perfectly .

Better solution can be good.

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-05-2010, 10:02 AM
in one file only as in examples (that was in removed posts),
multiple files - you was not wanted before (was suggested to you at early stages /talked about splitting C, asm, makefile, other to different files /)
no other ways - use symbol-file

Again?
I'll remove this post after some time as it have no value as all previous.
You still do not understand the problem completely.
So, all the points here are false.
It is pity that I spent so much time on this discussion.

mrduck
09-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Better solution can be good. According to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/495262/linking-symbols-to-fixed-addresses-on-linux it seems that --just-symbols is the way to go... You ask for a &quot;better solution&quot; but I don't understand what you don't like. All function addresses are listed in a external file and from what I understand it is not necessary to specify the .equ in the source file because they will be treated as external symbols and solved at link time.. I probably miss the point, please be more clear in what you don't like... Anyway, I asked one person that works on embedded systems if he uses gnu tools. I hope he will reply soon

mrduck
09-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Sorry Vitaliy, you reported your sample
.equ my_routine, 0x46000000
call my_routine; that actually should be only
call my_routine; According to gnu as documentation, all undefined symbols are treated as external symbols and solved at link time. (http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/docs-2.12/as.info/Extern.html#Extern) Or I still miss the point ?

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-06-2010, 02:31 AM
If you refer to current solution, then you are right, .equ must be omitted.

Thanks to stackoverflow reference.
I know that my solution works.
But it requires to add few parts to IDE so, it'll be possible to define starting address and all symbols inside original file and symbol file will be formed automatically.

mrduck
09-06-2010, 02:56 AM
If there is no different answer in stackoverflow... there is no different answer - stop! :-)

One idea could be a converter injected in the assembler script. It reads the source file, extracts the .equ lines and creates the symbol file.

If the IDE calls for the "as" executable directly, it is possible to rename "as" into "_as" and create a batch file named "as" that performs this extra step and calls _as with the new parameter --just-symbols

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-06-2010, 03:25 AM
I did not say that answer at SO is different :-)
I don't need any scripts as I can change IDE :-)
It already allows to compile inline asm sections inside C files without making them strings.

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Important

We start searching proper guys to make hadrware based firmware dumping.
Someone who have necessary tools to remove BGA packages without damage and dump firmware contents. JTAG solution is also OK.
Sony NEX firmware is much more easy to dump as it contains normal flash chips, not BGA integrated flash/RAM package as Panasonic cameras.

NURBS
09-06-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm have necessary tools to remove BGA packages. And I'm searching flash programmer for MN103.
I view lot of interesting info in XBOX 360 hackers sites.

Regards

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm have necessary tools to remove BGA packages. And I'm searching flash programmer for MN103.
I view lot of interesting info in XBOX 360 hackers sites.
Regards

You don't need flash programmer as flash do not have any relation to MN103 :-)

You can get cheap TZ5 or ZS3 for experiments.
Look at service documentation for all available Panasonic cameras to get some ideas about package pinouts (or see Elpida docs).
Main BGA package is made by Elpida (see photos in main thread), package ID is painted over by black on most cameras.
Each package contains flash and RAM in one package.
You'll need to read flash.

NEX5, btw is much easier target, as it has fully documented flash chip and not in BGA package.

NURBS
09-06-2010, 12:52 PM
It's a Elpida MCP chip, very rare. I'll search this chip datasheet.

Stereoscopy
09-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Elpida lists only two hybrid memory modules (RAM and FLASH), check this page http://www.elpida.com/cgi-bin/CatSearch/pmidx_e.php?type=component&name=TUNQ

I have found that this programmer (with an adapter) is able to program this chip:
http://www.minato.co.jp/en/products/dp/m1894.html
but I don't know how much it could cost.

g.l
09-07-2010, 07:52 AM
I have found that this programmer (with an adapter) is able to program this chip:
http://www.minato.co.jp/en/products/dp/m1894.html
but I don't know how much it could cost.

The graphic lists the price as 400,000 JPY (approx $4,783 USD) - ouch.

EDIT: Maybe you could rent one? Or pay someone to do the extraction.

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Elpida lists only two hybrid memory modules (RAM and FLASH), check this page http://www.elpida.com/cgi-bin/CatSearch/pmidx_e.php?type=component&name=TUNQ

According to SM Elipda in GH1 combine 1Gbit RAM and 64Mbit NOR EEPROM.
So, in this list you see only slightly older models (used in TZ5, etc).
In G2 (and new compacts) we have 128Mbit NOR EEPROM.

NURBS
09-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Some info which I have found about chip:

manufacture: ELPIDA
name: EHB01C011MA-6C-F
package: 160FBGA
Version: V2.51t
Code: 3B09A2

But datasheet is it's riddle.

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Interesting thing about G2 and 3D lense (on recent demo).
G2 had new firmware as in existing one no support for 3D is present :-)
So, we can hope for firmware update here.

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-10-2010, 06:37 AM
You can check my small prelimitary review of Leadstar LD-1088 LCD monitor here
http://dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2099499&postcount=21

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-13-2010, 08:02 AM
mnIDE v1.1 released, all info is available here - http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2102201&postcount=38 .

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Any chinese speaking guys here?
PM me, please if you are able to translate at good level from english to chinese (and back).

ttatcs
09-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Hi, I am a native Chinese . I wanna help . Sorry, I can not PM you due to my sufficient privileges .

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Hi, I am a native Chinese . I wanna help . Sorry, I can not PM you due to my sufficient privileges .

Big thanks, but one guy already helped to translated that text.

noirist
09-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Vitaliy,

Grass Valley engineers claim that the 1080i60 FHD footage from the GH1 lacks a pulldown flag to indicate that is 24p in a 60i wrapper. Is it possible to fix this problem in your hack, by writing the correct pulldown flag to the FHD MTS files?

http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125177&postcount=55

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Vitaliy,

Grass Valley engineers claim that the 1080i60 FHD footage from the GH1 lacks a pulldown flag to indicate that is 24p in a 60i wrapper. Is it possible to fix this problem in your hack, by writing the correct pulldown flag to the FHD MTS files?

http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125177&postcount=55

Most probably answer is no.
And this "engineers" are just lazy.
Why not to add simple checkbox to dialog after opening file with footage?

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Installed Wiki engine on gh1-hack site

You can see it at
http://www.gh1-hack.info/wiki/

Developers can request editing password from me.
Main IDA database research will be moved to Wiki.

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-21-2010, 07:36 AM
PTool with support for user patches will be released quite soon (about next weeek).

JerryB
09-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Vitaliy,

Since the GH2 has now been announced, does this mean you will no longer be working on the GH1 hack to still try and improve things such as 24n (without freeze ups), ext. monitoring and audio control? What might your reasons be for continuing to hack GH1 or not continuing to hack it?

Everyone is incredibly happy with what you have been able to unleash so far but there are many curious parties that would love to know if you are retiring the GH1. (feel free to delete if you won't or already have answered).

Thanks!

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Vitaliy,

Since the GH2 has now been announced, does this mean you will no longer be working on the GH1 hack to still try and improve things such as 24n (without freeze ups), ext. monitoring and audio control? What might your reasons be for continuing to hack GH1 or not continuing to hack it?

I see numerous reasons to continue.

Everyone is incredibly happy with what you have been able to unleash so far but there are many curious parties that would love to know if you are retiring the GH1. (feel free to delete if you won't or already have answered).

No, definitely no.
G2 is upcoming.
And some good hopes about GH2 came today.

djlukasz
09-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I just got my GF1 and I was really excited to see that there's a software hack! I'm having a problem with getting it to load... I have followed every step possible and I just dont get it. Has anyone else had any problems with a brand new GF1 (got it yesterday) and getting this hack to load? I've tried to change the name of the patch to GF1__201.bin, change the version increment to 8 steps... I've formatted my card like 4 times and still I cant get it to load. Thanks in advance for any help!

randy09660
09-23-2010, 01:57 AM
I heard about the GH1 getting a new cheap before it's end was that also the same time as the new firmware 1.34? I'm looking at buying a used Gh1 but it's serial number starts WE9SB firmware v 1.1 I thought the 9 was the year and the next letter would be the month. That S shouldn't be a S should it?

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-23-2010, 02:24 AM
I heard about the GH1 getting a new cheap before it's end was that also the same time as the new firmware 1.34? I'm looking at buying a used Gh1 but it's serial number starts WE9SB firmware v 1.1 I thought the 9 was the year and the next letter would be the month. That S shouldn't be a S should it?

Randy, it is wrong thread.
GH1 hack subforum have all the answers you want.

Jasketti
09-23-2010, 06:27 AM
Hi Vitaliy,

Is there any news or progress on the GH1 monitoring or HDMI live output?

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-27-2010, 05:24 AM
Hi Vitaliy,

Is there any news or progress on the GH1 monitoring or HDMI live output?

Progress is not large to this moment.

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-27-2010, 05:27 AM
PTool 3.50d released

Added support for user level patches.
Few other things added for developers.
Small interface changes and fixes.

No new patches added.

If you are in development team, please contact me about details and info on how to use new 3.50d version features. Information will be closed to prevent accidental damage.

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Note to developers.

Now you are able to replace or rewrite big functions.
All tools are ready for this.

Find functions that you want to rewrite.
Use assemb.idc from mnIDE distribution to make assembler file ready to recompile.
Rewrite function as you wish. Check new function size.
Compile function using mnIDE.
Copy resulting BIN file to Ptool folder.
Add user patch with proper address and link to this file.
As result, if you check this patch in PTool your new function will replace the old one.

krhyme78
09-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Hi Vitaliy,

I have just a basic question, is it or will it be possible to film (avchd or mjpeg) at a higher rate than 60fps (ex:120fps), even at a lower resolution?

Thx in advance, u really did an awesome job by the way!!

Vitaliy Kiselev
09-30-2010, 06:56 AM
Hi Vitaliy,

I have just a basic question, is it or will it be possible to film (avchd or mjpeg) at a higher rate than 60fps (ex:120fps), even at a lower resolution?
Thx in advance, u really did an awesome job by the way!!

No!

krhyme78
09-30-2010, 06:58 AM
Ok, your answer couldn't be clearer.

Thx anyway!

Vitaliy Kiselev
10-02-2010, 07:39 AM
First results concerning HDMI output achieved.

I am able to switch between local LCD and HDMI monitor in playback mode using special routine working using GH1 menu (I use bracketing item now and few others for parameters adjustment).
In no way it mean that we will be able to provide live output soon.
As this procedure can't switch body to HDMI output during normal operation.

Svart
10-02-2010, 08:38 PM
I still can't find info on the HDMI buffer IC. However, generally these have an output enable/disable pin. If you can find part of the routine that toggles an I/O pin, you might have found a clue at least.

Vitaliy Kiselev
10-03-2010, 01:06 AM
It won't help, as we don't have documentation and don't know anything about I/O pins. :-)

ykutlu
10-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Hi,

I wish I could do for the GH1, for the Canon 7D could.
Telling a short time would be very rich.
Just to make you $ 150 I'd give the restriction of video time.
Canon hd record time is 12min. Very bad.
Tens of thousands like me out ...

Vitaliy Kiselev
10-04-2010, 06:15 AM
I think that you selected wrong address. Contact ML developers.
Plus time restriction removal is almost impossible to do in 7D due to no file spanning and overheating.

ykutlu
10-04-2010, 06:30 AM
I think that you selected wrong address. Contact ML developers.
Plus time restriction removal is almost impossible to do in 7D due to no file spanning and overheating.
Sorry
Just a request.
Maybe he is one resourceful.
1 hour and 45 minutes, no problems (intermittent-intermittent), I can recorded.

progressiv
10-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi there,

I'm new here and didn't read the hole thread, but the search doesn't give any answer.

I own a hackable GH1 and the firmware is just great. Thank you!!

Now to my question:
Is it possible to change the maximum exposure time in video mode? The max I could set is 1/30s as described in the manual. But for FHD mode I'd like to set it to 1/25s for very dark scenes. Is this something that could be hacked?

Another question:
Is it possible to change the time the just taken picture is shown to the time the release button is still pressed instead of a fixed time?

Thanks again for your hack.

Vitaliy Kiselev
10-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Sorry guys, but I do not fully understand your requests.

progressiv
10-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi Vitaliy,

for the case you meant me:

#1: On page 109 of the english manual is written that the shutter speed can be set between 1/30 - 1/4000 sec. in video mode [|M]. But I like to set it to 1/25 sec. Is this change possible?

#2: On page 34 of the englisch manual: Review: can be time between 1 and 5 sec or till the shutter button is pressed half way. I'd like to review till the shutter button is released. So if I take a picture and hold the shutter button down the just taken picture is shown till I release the button.

One more feature request:
#3: Is it possible to change the video modes a bit more? I'd like to have a 1080p25 (FHD) a 720p50 (SH) and a 720p25 (H?) and low bitrate modes 720p50 (and 720p25). Is this possible?

Is there a feature request wiki or the like?

I'd like to donate money in euros but the gh1-hack.info only accepts dollars. To whom shall I sent the money when doing it directly?

Thanks.

Vitaliy Kiselev
10-07-2010, 04:24 PM
1) I really do not know. Shutter speed reversing is not finished. May be.
2) This is tough. It is low level stuff. And extra crucial. Buy remote shutter on ebay.
3) Don't get you. Do you mean all three in one setting?
I am working at adjustable modes. We'll see that could be possible to make here.

You can donate in any currency, paypal will convert them :-)

progressiv
10-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Hallo Vitaliy.

1) I really do not know. Shutter speed reversing is not finished. May be.

I hope the best.
But in video mode not the real shutter is used. It's just the exposure time. (I'd like to have 1/25 sec for p25 avchd mode in very dark scenes.)

2) This is tough. It is low level stuff. And extra crucial. Buy remote shutter on ebay.

Ok, this is not that important. Just would be a nice handling I'm used to from other cams.

3) Don't get you. Do you mean all three in one setting?
I am working at adjustable modes. We'll see that could be possible to make here.

I think the adjustable modes is what I want.
I thought about the 4 different avchd video modes for which I already can adjust the bitrate with ptool3. (FHD+ SH, H, L)

For instance this would be nice:
FHD = 1080p25 high bitrate
SH = 720p50 high bitrate
H = 720p25 hight bitrate
L = 720p50 low bitrate (or 720p25? low bitrate)

or similar.

BTW. ptool3 works flawlessly with wine under Linux (ubuntu) too!

Have a nice time.

aj13
10-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Hello all, I've been reading the GH1 forums for quite a while and finally took a chance on a WE0F (June 2010) GH1 but struck out and got 1.34 firmware, so I'm returning it in 48 hours. While I've got it I'd be happy to try a firmware dump if there's any known procedure to try?

I read on another thread that Vitaliy said he preferred not to answer if this could be done until early October...?

grd549
10-10-2010, 03:16 AM
hi, any other improvement v1.34?

aj13
10-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm intrigued as to how a firmware downgrade is prevented, from a technical pov - is it a
version identifier (checksum?) in the .bin file which is compared to the currently installed
firmware?

Is there any way that the 1.32 firmware can be modified so that it's identifer appears to be
1.35 (or higher) so that the 1.34 ver then sees it as newer and allows it to be installed?

I followed a thread on another forum where people had successfully downgraded their Pana
ZS3/TZ7 from firmware V1.2 to V1.1, despite the official info from Panasonic that it couldn't be done... (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1033&thread=32602197). Does this give any clues / ideas?

Benedict
10-13-2010, 03:52 PM
This would simply be a hex-edit on the .bin file of the original firmware. Don't think that would be too hard.

Also, you could just load the original fw into ptool, then only click the version increment and up it by whatever you need and then save it and load it. ;-)

tyampel
10-14-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm intrigued as to how a firmware downgrade is prevented, from a technical pov - is it a
version identifier (checksum?) in the .bin file which is compared to the currently installed
firmware?

It is actually very easy to implement. Vitaliy's patch will now change the version number in all places where it was needed for 1.2 and 1.32.
All Panasonic had to do is put a version check in one more place and implement this check in 1.34.
Now the version 1.35 created by Ptool will surely fail such a test and will be rejected or contemptuously ignored.

Is there any way that the 1.32 firmware can be modified so that it's identifer appears to be
1.35 (or higher) so that the 1.34 ver then sees it as newer and allows it to be installed?

I followed a thread on another forum where people had successfully downgraded their Pana
ZS3/TZ7 from firmware V1.2 to V1.1, despite the official info from Panasonic that it couldn't be done... (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1033&thread=32602197). Does this give any clues / ideas?

No, the firmware for the G series always checked the version and would only allow upgrades to higher ones. To overcome this limitation Vitaliy created an option where the Ptool generated firmware would be seen as version 0.0, thus allowing any older versions to be used for the upgrade.

doniypolo
10-14-2010, 10:30 PM
i think the new 1.34 firmware will also check something other than version to allow update.
that's why you change the version to 1.35 or higher using Ptool, the 1.34 firmware still not allow you to update.
and the 1.34 firmware has not been released to public yet, so Vitaliy may not have a copy of 1.34 firmware to analyze.

MorLipf
10-22-2010, 02:33 AM
At http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download_f/ (User: panasonic, Password: lumix) there is a new firmware for the GF1 should fix some colour issues introduced with firmware 1.22. Sadly the PTool is not compatible to this firmware. It would be nice if the next version will support it. ;)

daidalos
10-22-2010, 05:45 AM
At http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download_f/ (User: panasonic, Password: lumix) there is a new firmware for the GF1 should fix some colour issues introduced with firmware 1.22. Sadly the PTool is not compatible to this firmware. It would be nice if the next version will support it. ;)

for GH1 it´s a french firmware 1.33, released June 2010, bin-date from 05-14, 2010, WARNINGS are posted (colour-degrees), keep on firmware from here.

MorLipf
10-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Many users reported that these firmwares have better colour adjustments than the older ones. So I would like to test this firmware. With PTool testing would be riskless because you can always revert.

gimmeluck
11-03-2010, 06:48 PM
3 points in the forums if you can help, (btw, i cant see last page here,)

1) we cant make videos slower then 1/30sec shutter speed in A or even S modes.( just only in M mode PLUS "Manuel focus mode- dunno whats concerning with manuel focus and shutter speed :/
2) can we have 2 choices of FHD so that whenever we lack of capacity but still want to go on FHD, we can use less bitrate choice.

here is harder ones;
3) more than 120fps or 240 fps sensor output for better slow motion effects, or incresing the continous photo per second for lower resolutions..

smrtgod
11-09-2010, 12:47 PM
I just got my GF1 and I was really excited to see that there's a software hack! I'm having a problem with getting it to load... I have followed every step possible and I just dont get it. Has anyone else had any problems with a brand new GF1 (got it yesterday) and getting this hack to load? I've tried to change the name of the patch to GF1__201.bin, change the version increment to 8 steps... I've formatted my card like 4 times and still I cant get it to load. Thanks in advance for any help!
Yes, I have the same problem.

I heard from another place, the latest firmware from Panasonic cannot do the hack so the new GF1 from factory cannot do. Is that true? How can I know my GF1 is installed a locked firmware? I checked the version on the GF1 and it shows 1.2

Can't enjoy 1080P, so sad.

NURBS
11-10-2010, 03:00 AM
Yes, I have the same problem.

I heard from another place, the latest firmware from Panasonic cannot do the hack so the new GF1 from factory cannot do. Is that true? How can I know my GF1 is installed a locked firmware? I checked the version on the GF1 and it shows 1.2

Can't enjoy 1080P, so sad.

On this time - no way.. Maybe later.

Harpo1224
11-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Hey all. Long time watcher, first time writer. I just upgraded to Ptool 3.50d (from 3.40d) on a Japanese model GH1, and I noticed a few problems that I haven't seen any answers to recently.

1. As I recall in 3.40d, language choice was done in Ptool. Now I have no option of language there, but on the camera there is a new language option that lets me choose between Japanese, and 2 other languages (I believe Sweedish and German, not sure). English worked fine in the older version, just wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

2. On any video recording, no matter the bitrate, there are significant artifacts (looks like compression errors) showing up about every 6th frame (never exact). The strange thing is everything is fine if I check the "24p native" option. No other options seem to have an effect on this factor.

Has anyone else had these problems? Also, if the first one is unsolvable, where can I download the 3.40d version? I'm willing to live with that if there's no other solution. Thanks.

-Harpo

Harpo1224
11-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Regarding the problem mentioned, here is a frame grab. Not the best one, but you can see the issue I'm having. Look familiar? Again, goes away with 24p native checked.

https://doc-04-a4-docs.googleusercontent.com/docs/secure/934jobr669bpteipdqgd0q85ktcmteig/tu8mqj3gq1e9mauuojoqc26vrrdi0r4q/1290189600000/11979711730559525274/11979711730559525274/0B3-7R0GW5XJOZjk5ZmE5OTktOTA1Yi00Y2ZlLTkyMjktNWRhMDkzN 2U3YTAw?authkey=CPTRzJoH&nonce=05364c2l3c990&user=11979711730559525274&hash=qbqmji40aekf8a2omv1osvremt5nsruc

Link (https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B3-7R0GW5XJOZjk5ZmE5OTktOTA1Yi00Y2ZlLTkyMjktNWRhMDkzN 2U3YTAw&export=download&authkey=CPTRzJoH&hl=en)

-Harpo

progressiv
11-23-2010, 04:12 AM
Hi Vitaly,

your work is really worth a donation so I donated for »GH13 further Developement«. :thumbup:

I have a new question about a possible feature.

I'd like to see the resulting jpeg brightness just _before_ taking the photo.
Therefore maybe the shutter speed preview could be used (english manual page 93)? So when i press the shutter button halfway this preview will be activated automatically.

Another question is if there is a documentation of the reverse engeneered firmware. Will you open this doc to the public at least when you're not interested in further development anymore?

Thanks again

spawns
11-25-2010, 02:24 AM
Hi Vitaly,

Are you working on the pentax k5 debug mode?
When not can you and I will donate for your project

Vitaliy Kiselev
11-25-2010, 02:36 AM
Why do you need debug mode for K5?

ANything special?

spawns
11-25-2010, 04:05 AM
Why do you need debug mode for K5?

ANything special?

Thanks for your reply:)

The in camera AF fine adjustment goes only from -10 to +10
I have to go further, for front focus adjustment.
In the Debug Menu this is possible.

Vitaliy Kiselev
11-25-2010, 05:10 AM
Try to use good old method.
Go to my site about instructions for earlier cameras.
Make script to create many *.xxx files, with xxx from 000 to 999. Put all on card. One will work.

spawns
11-25-2010, 07:23 AM
Try to use good old method.
Go to my site about instructions for earlier cameras.
Make script to create many *.xxx files, with xxx from 000 to 999. Put all on card. One will work.

tried 999 files with MODSET.001 - 999 with [DEBUG_MODE EN] and [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU] - separeted
card door opened and closed different buttons menu, delete, av, info,... during power on and nothing happen, doesnt work.
Is MODSET the wrong name?
thanks for your help

Vitaliy Kiselev
11-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Yeah, it looks like MODSET is no longer used.
You need to wait for disassembling results.

spawns
11-25-2010, 08:44 AM
ok, hope it will be soon :-)

Vitaliy Kiselev
11-29-2010, 06:06 AM
PTool 3.51d released

Added support for Panasonic G2 v1.10 firmware.

Please, consider all patches status, except MJPEG and AVCHD end user patches, as "very risky"!

Download link is present in first post of this topic.

P.S.
Manual movie mode patch and battery patch are not present in current release.
Battery part had been changed almost completely.
Manual movie mode also need different approach, as it seems that Panasonic intentionally eliminated some corresponding functionality that had been present in GF1.

MorLipf
11-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Please also add support for GF1 firmware 1.23 (look at Post #2928) which should include some colour improvements.

Vitaliy Kiselev
11-29-2010, 06:31 AM
Please also add support for GF1 firmware 1.23 (look at Post #2928) which should include some colour improvements.

I do not plan to add any support of 1.23.
Sorry.
This is not official firmware as it is not available to normal users via firmware update section.

svecher
11-29-2010, 06:42 AM
PTool 3.51d released

Added support for Panasonic G2 v1.10 firmware.

Please, consider all patches status, except MJPEG and AVCHD end user patches, as "very risky"!

Download link is present in first post of this topic.

P.S.
Manual movie mode patch and battery patch are not present in current release.
Battery part had been changed almost completely.
Manual movie mode also need different approach, as it seems that Panasonic intentionally eliminated corresponding functionality that had been present in GF1.
So evidently certain other "functionality" is not present on G2 fw v1.1? That's interesting ... Did DPs (Deciders at Panasonic) sacrifice the "virginity" of G2 just to prolong the decision point a little longer? Perhaps some brave soul on the inside will come to realization what is needed to be done for their own and greater good. No need to release internal correspondence to Wikileaks, an upload of certain firmware version to Rapidshare would be just fine...

Vitaliy Kiselev
11-29-2010, 06:57 AM
In fact, I am pretty optimistic about manual movie mode and battery patches.
We'll try some approaches after initial testing.

Vitaliy Kiselev
11-29-2010, 07:57 AM
I added Manual Movie mode patch to G2.
It is similar to "Manual Movie Modes (old version)" patch for GF1.
Patch that is same as GF1 could require quite a time (due to some parts not present in G2).

Picturequest
11-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Vitaliy, without giving away any of your secrets. Does the G2 firmware have "protection" as with the latest GH-1 firmware, or was it un encrypted like the earlier Gh-1 firmware? If Panny wants to protect their firmware, wouldn't they do it across the board on all models? Just curious.

Vitaliy Kiselev
11-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Vitaliy, without giving away any of your secrets. Does the G2 firmware have "protection" as with the latest GH-1 firmware, or was it un encrypted like the earlier Gh-1 firmware? If Panny wants to protect their firmware, wouldn't they do it across the board on all models? Just curious.

It is ok, same as GF1 :-)
As for protection and other stuff - no one really knows intentions of Panasonic managment, most probably they do not know this themselfs :-).

panystac
11-29-2010, 03:17 PM

The only reason Vitaliy can't hack the latest GH-1 (and GF1) firmware, is because Panasonic haven't released the lastest version of firmware on their website. If he can't GET the firmware, then he can't hack it!!!!

The G2 firmware HAS been released on the Panasonic website, so Vitaliy CAN hack the firmware!!! As I understand it, none of those firmware have been encrypted.

alphaomega
11-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Sorry.
This is not official firmware as it is not available to normal users via firmware update section.

I don't know if we can say that it is not official.

We can say that Panasonic did not make it available in the global support site.

But:
It is available via an offcial Panasonic site (France)
It is obviously releasd by the Panasonic firmware development team
It is more updated (dated 18 June 2010) than the 1.22 version available in the global support site, including some kind of bugfix directly asked by a big French store chain

AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) there are no country-specific firmware files neither country-specific camera body hardware, so this issue it's only another "obscure" Panasonic decision.

Note that, after few days, the GF1 bodies started shipping with the 1.24 firmware revision factory installed, that could be seen as "1.23 bugfix+hacking lock".

And Panasonic still did not make the 1.24 available in no-one site,
but, can we say it is not an official firmware?

To my eyes the 1.23 could be currently the most updated official GF1 firmware available for download, and Panasonic was forced to release it under pressure of a big French dealer, just before jumping to the locked 1.24, and obviously it did it without advertising and keeping it the most "under the hood" as possible... (I don't know why)

Just speculations obviously,
and maybe I'm completely wrong.
Currently I have not tried the 1.23 on my GF13 because it is not supported by ptools 3.50d
but maybe it should not be discarded only because Panasonic did not allow us to download from the main site.

I understand that probably there are a lot of more important things to follow, but if you will give a try to the 1.23, I think that some people will be happy for sure...

However, many thanks for the outstanding job you are doing. :)

Darm
12-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi, Vitaly, is there any developement happening on the G2's little brother, the G10? As far as I know they have very similar hardware, so the firmware should be the same too?
I will be glad to test it, or do anything needed to help you out with developement. I really want to be able to shoot higher quality videos
Thanks!

Vitaliy Kiselev
12-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Hi, Vitaly, is there any developement happening on the G2's little brother, the G10? As far as I know they have very similar hardware, so the firmware should be the same too?
I will be glad to test it, or do anything needed to help you out with developement. I really want to be able to shoot higher quality videos
Thanks!

No. We don't have any firmware and I really do not see any reason to do this.
Sell your G10 and get G2 or GH1. They are both very cheap now.

humpman
12-02-2010, 12:54 AM
could some g2 features can be ported on gh1?

Vitaliy Kiselev
12-02-2010, 01:02 AM
could some g2 features can be ported on gh1?

G2 has different LSI, different amount of flash and RAM :-)
So, go for GH2 if you need some G2 features in GH1 like package.

MorLipf
12-02-2010, 03:18 PM
I do not think that there will be a newer firmware than 1.23 for GF1 in future. The only hack I need is the 3rd party battery hack. If you do not want to add support for this firmware please let me know how to apply this battery hack on my own.

SteveNunez
12-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I see there are 298 pages in this thread but the browser jumps to page 296 regardless how I try to proceed- anyone else having an issue reading further pages?

francis.ru
12-03-2010, 06:50 AM
I see there are 298 pages in this thread but the browser jumps to page 296 regardless how I try to proceed- anyone else having an issue reading further pages?

thats just the forum-software messing with you, there are a lot of deleted messages in this thread, and to put it simple: the page-count is NOT accurate :-)

edit: missed the "not" :-)

mylee
12-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Hi, Vitaliy,

Do you have any plan to make a patch for GF2? GF2 is already released in Japan from Dec 3. I hope we can have similar hacks on GF2 soon.

Marvin

alphaomega
12-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Sorry.

Hello Vitaliy,
I would only humbly add that all what I said in my previous post #2953
regarding the GF1 firmware 1.23
is obviously, still valid for GH1 firmware 1.33.

So if you would consider to give a look to these 1.x3 firmware files
I think that all the Gx1 users will be interested...
(I have checked and the files are still available for download)

Thanks for the attention. :)

cameleon
12-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Hi Vitality
I read lot on internet about your great project and ability to hack GH1 firmware to bring some great and useful options to this nice camera. I was to ask you please if you would you be able to do similar Hack firmware on now on of the world famous small Panasonic camcorder Panasonic SD700 or TM700 like to add option 24p or 25P recording but in 28mbit default or unlock higher mbit compression ratio, an to solve biggest problem on this great little camera to correct problem with blue color like recording sky color which tend to go more to green hue instead of natural blue and as result make picture really look unreal , if you can add other useful things like tweaking picture which missing like contrast and brightness in picture menu and if possible to add gain limit . Otherwise this nice ultra small video camera is capable to produce some incredible Pro quality video picture which cost $$$$$ and has lot of potential but lack of menu options and some hidden features which can me maybe be unlocked or activated via your firmware or camera hack. This camera is now very well selling all over world in very large quantity and it has now maybe over millions users all around world and if you could try to make project with help of our donation to help you to buy this camera and support you, i think many ppl included me will be more than happy to send you good PayPal donation , on end maybe will be even worth for your hard work to receive some extra money of this project. you can make like some sort of web pool to see how many ppl will be willing to support you on this project, please let us now what you think if this would be possible to do hack on this camera many ppl would interested to know.
Thx in advance
Best regards

Vitaliy Kiselev
12-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Hi Vitality
I read lot on internet about your great project and ability to hack GH1 firmware to bring some great and useful options to this nice camera. I was to ask you please if you would you be able to do similar Hack firmware on now on of the world famous small Panasonic camcorder Panasonic SD700 or TM700 like to add option 24p or 25P recording but in 28mbit default or unlock higher mbit compression ratio, an to solve biggest problem on this great little camera to correct problem with blue color like recording sky color which tend to go more to green hue instead of natural blue and as result make picture really look unreal , if you can add other useful things like tweaking picture which missing like contrast and brightness in picture menu and if possible to add gain limit . Otherwise this nice ultra small video camera is capable to produce some incredible Pro quality video picture which cost $$$$$ and has lot of potential but lack of menu options and some hidden features which can me maybe be unlocked or activated via your firmware or camera hack. This camera is now very well selling all over world in very large quantity and it has now maybe over millions users all around world and if you could try to make project with help of our donation to help you to buy this camera and support you, i think many ppl included me will be more than happy to send you good PayPal donation , on end maybe will be even worth for your hard work to receive some extra money of this project. you can make like some sort of web pool to see how many ppl will be willing to support you on this project, please let us now what you think if this would be possible to do hack on this camera many ppl would interested to know.

About TM700.
Normally Panasonic do not release any firmware for their compact cameras.
But we have service software for this cameras.
And may be it'll be possible to do few things using it.
But I am not sure.
You can start here separate SD700/TM700 thread if you want.

magicse
12-11-2010, 04:22 PM
What abou firmware 1.33 from French site? It's last firmware witch can get in hand. May be it fix FPN (vertical lines) issue

cameleon
12-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi Vitaliy
thankyou for fast reply, yes I know they don’t have Firmware for this camera, but I though maybe you can help and maybe have same sort of your way to get around accessing built in camera firmware software to help us correct problem and add some of features on this great little camera . Regarding that service Software you have for this camera I am very interested can you please explain more what can you do all with that software can you correct blue sky color problem add 24P (25P for PAL) but in highest quality by default 28mbit or even higher if possible add IRIS limit gain and contrast and brightness in menu (brightness which we already have in picture menu is actually not brightens it is like exposure shift ) ,how do you connect software with this camera by uploading via sd card or by opening camera soldering on chip directly or via USB cable or some hidden software menu, I have Panasonic HDC- SD700 Pal version and for hobby I am repairing laptops I have some electronic equipment included hot air soldering station and have some basic electronic knowledge like removing and flashing bad bios chips on laptops etc.. and most import thing I have time and I am not scare to open my camera and experiment and corporate if is needed to help you ;) , you can contact me directly on email if you don’t to talk here about service software. Regarding opening new threads, can you please point me where would be best under Forum to open this new thread under main Panasonic thread? . I can also help let know owners of this camera for this project on video forums included users on VIMEO channel for Panasonic HDC-TM700, HDC-SD700 , HDC-SD707
Best regards

cjag
12-12-2010, 10:38 AM
RE: P.S. As always, no one can quarantee that you camera will work after this :-)

Hi, i'm VERY new to this. I just bought a GH1 with serial number WE0B. If I install the new firmware can I return it to the factory settings if the camera does not work for some reason? Thanks in advance! cjag

cjag
12-12-2010, 02:03 PM
RE : P.S. As always, no one can quarantee that you camera will work after this :-)

If the camera does not work after this can it be reset so it 'works' again, at least to the factory settings? (I am totally new to this having purchased a Feb '10 GH1)

Ian-T
12-12-2010, 02:09 PM
RE: P.S. As always, no one can quarantee that you camera will work after this :-)

Hi, i'm VERY new to this. I just bought a GH1 with serial number WE0B. If I install the new firmware can I return it to the factory settings if the camera does not work for some reason? Thanks in advance! cjag

Yes.

RE : P.S. As always, no one can quarantee that you camera will work after this :-)

If the camera does not work after this can it be reset so it 'works' again, at least to the factory settings? (I am totally new to this having purchased a Feb '10 GH1)

If the camera does not work then there is something else going on outside of the hack.. But I would not worry about it not working. If the hack doesn't work right for you ...then you can always revert back to its factory settings.

progressiv
12-13-2010, 03:30 AM
Hi there.

I started to make some experiences with old adapted lenses. So I have to focus manually.

Is there a way to simulate a focus ring movement in manual focus modus by pressing the FN key?
(I.E. programm the FN key to anable focus zoom for some seconds or till shutter pressed?)

I'd like to zoom in a bit before shooting the photo.

Thanks
Lars

DaLiV
12-13-2010, 03:55 AM
menu=shoot w/o lens=on + dial to "MF" + (left arrow key) -> select position of focusing -> (set) -> focus maually.
BUT THAT REQUEST ARE OFFTOPIC FOR CURRENT THREAD !!!

magicse
12-14-2010, 02:13 AM
Hello Vitaliy,
I would only humbly add that all what I said in my previous post #2953
regarding the GF1 firmware 1.23
is obviously, still valid for GH1 firmware 1.33.

So if you would consider to give a look to these 1.x3 firmware files
I think that all the Gx1 users will be interested...
(I have checked and the files are still available for download)

Thanks for the attention. :)

humpman
12-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Jpeg photo has 4/1 CompressedBitsPerPixel and jpeg from mjpeg video has 2/1 CompressedBitsPerPixel (JPEGsnoop), can we change this parameter?

Vitaliy Kiselev
12-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Jpeg photo has 4/1 CompressedBitsPerPixel and jpeg from mjpeg video has 2/1 CompressedBitsPerPixel (JPEGsnoop), can we change this parameter?

Can you be more clear on that do you want to change?

humpman
12-15-2010, 02:54 AM
All Information from JPEGsnoop.

CompressedBitsPerPixel (http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/tifftags/privateifd/exif/compressedbitsperpixel.html) is Color depth after compression

For example
Standart 0,0,0,0 Noise Reduction off

Photo 1920x1080 Normal quality File size 920 kb
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/4439/p1000258dy.th.jpg (http://img256.imageshack.us/i/p1000258dy.jpg/)
[CompressedBitsPerPixel ] = 4/1
[SceneCaptureType ] = Standard
[GainControl ] = 2
[Contrast ] = 0
[Saturation ] = 0
[Sharpness ] = 0

Photo 1920x1080 Low quality File size 322 kb!
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2429/p1000259sy.th.jpg (http://img502.imageshack.us/i/p1000259sy.jpg/)
[CompressedBitsPerPixel ] = 2/1
[GainControl ] = 2
[Contrast ] = 0
[Saturation ] = 0
[Sharpness ] = 0

MJPEG Video 1280x720 (Q400,300,250,188 T4,4,4,4) 4:2:2 checked File size 555 kb!
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2930/p1000260f.th.jpg (http://img263.imageshack.us/i/p1000260f.jpg/)
[CompressedBitsPerPixel ] = 2/1
[GainControl ] = 0
[Contrast ] = 0
[Saturation ] = 0
[Sharpness ] = 0

As you can see "Photo 1920x1080 Low quality" much better than frame from video but file size more smaller.

And one thing, I set all standart 0,0,0,0 but JPEGsnoop showing "GainControl 2" on photo stills

Vitaliy Kiselev
12-19-2010, 10:44 PM
We need developers for following task:

On IDA 4.9 Free to develop plugins or processor modules we used modified version of this thing:
http://www.woodmann.com/collaborative/tools/index.php/IDA_Free_4.9_SDK_Library_Patch
(it had been rewritten to work on Borland libraries as I use free BCC compiler).

Now IDA 5.0 Free is available
http://www.hex-rays.com/idapro/idadownfreeware.htm
So, we need to make same thing for this version.

g.l
12-27-2010, 03:35 AM
There's an interesting interview (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdc.watch.impress.co.jp%2Fdocs%2Fnew s%2F20101224_416051.html) with Panasonic engineers about their auto-focus technology, specifically about the speed improvements they got with the GH2.

The Google translation is almost incomprehensible, but apparently the GH2 has a 120fps sensor mode that's used during auto-focus.

rigs
12-27-2010, 11:01 PM
There's an interesting interview (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdc.watch.impress.co.jp%2Fdocs%2Fnew s%2F20101224_416051.html) with Panasonic engineers about their auto-focus technology, specifically about the speed improvements they got with the GH2.

The Google translation is almost incomprehensible, but apparently the GH2 has a 120fps sensor mode that's used during auto-focus.

True Here is a pic from the page

justin88
12-28-2010, 10:24 AM
hi there,
i was just wondering if it is possible to get my gf1 film with 50fps like the gh1 (slowmo)?!

thnx

Fool4UAnyway
01-08-2011, 09:11 AM
"Wrong file name, camera won't be able to read such file."

Unfortunately, with version 3.50d I still use for my GH1 files, I get this message, even though the file name I enter in the Save firmware image dialog IS correct.

It turns out saving is blocked if the ORIGINAL firmware loaded does not have an "acceptable" name. Why is that?

I have a number of Firmware files with short descriptions appended to their original (acceptable) names.

I aslo want to save changed firmware files with short description extensions, too, but I cannot accomplish this immediately IF I start with GH1__132.bin as input and not at all if I use a firmware file with a description in its filename.

I would like a more convenient firmware handling by PTool as follows:
- accept any firmware file filename, just judge the file by its actual contents
- accept any filename to save the changed filename with
- show a message based on the version increment number saying with which filename the changed firmware file should be saved to the SD card for the camera to accept it.

fullhdfilm
01-10-2011, 09:53 PM
hi newbie here

would MJPEG setting that work with GF1 then work on the G2? , I dont get much success on the G2, on my GH13 and GF13 they work with little freeze. But on G2 some setting wont even let me record. also 4:2:2 bottom have of footage always muddy??

Thx

velfecir
01-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Hello newbie here also :)

I want to ask something.
I am sorry my English is very little , still learning.

I will buy a GH-1
I saw that forum about haching GH-1
And i watched videos.
Really great , amazing.

But i couldnt understand how should i make it?
I read this forum but hard to understand sometimes because us language.

Can someone tell me how i hack this step by step ? And also like me for other people.

I have ptool thats all :)

dustinash
01-11-2011, 12:19 AM
seriously though.. buy a gh2. The gh1 has issues in low light and the gh2 is just a better cam.. even unhacked.. and when hacked it will be even better then better.

dustinash
01-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Can anyone point the way to vitaly's wishlist thread?

SteveNunez
01-16-2011, 11:54 AM
So bottom line- is there a G2 hack out- and if so- can someone please post a link to the hack or info?

Vitaliy Kiselev
01-16-2011, 07:25 PM
So bottom line- is there a G2 hack out- and if so- can someone please post a link to the hack or info?

Download Ptool (first post here). This forum's hack section has corresponding threads.

mcrumpto
01-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Vitaliy could I ask if there has been any progress in pulling the 720p crop of the 1080p FHD mode into the centre as was talked about some time ago?
I'm interested in this to see if it could allow significantly better use of C-Mount lenses on a GH1?

Thanks for your time

Mcrumpto

Vitaliy Kiselev
01-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Vitaliy could I ask if there has been any progress in pulling the 720p crop of the 1080p FHD mode into the centre as was talked about some time ago?
I'm interested in this to see if it could allow significantly better use of C-Mount lenses on a GH1?

Thanks for your time

Mcrumpto

Right now, no.
But I have high hopes after databases will go public.

faultiersid
01-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Right now, no.
But I have high hopes after databases will go public.

When will they go public?

Vitaliy Kiselev
01-22-2011, 11:47 AM
When will they go public?

After site with all necessary stuff will be lauched.

jgille
01-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Your hack is great. But I would like to have a specific hack intended for photography.
Could it be possible to change the default value for Automatic ISO or iA mode on a GF1. Actually it is set to 1/30s, and it is ridiculous. It should be 1/60s like on any other camera.
Thanks a lot if you could add a hack for this feature !

DOCTOR_VIDEO
01-24-2011, 10:42 PM
I am looking for the page detailing how to interpret the GH1 serial numbers. I think that it was posted by Vitaly Kiselev and it included the possible meaning of the characters in the number. Month by month and so on.
Many thanks.

DaLiV
01-24-2011, 11:01 PM
take a look on http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?218181-GH1-and-GF1-valid-serial-range

DOCTOR_VIDEO
01-24-2011, 11:32 PM
thank you DaLiV. This page explains the interpretation of the first four serial number characters. I remember seeing another page that more explicitly details the meaning such as the relationship between the months and the first twelve letters
of the alphabet. I thought that it might contain some interpretation of the rest of the characters. Nonetheless, if the only derivable information is from the first four characters, country, year and month, then this one will suffice. I just bought a GH1, not here yet, which starts with WE0GDXXXXXX. Most likely it will not hack, so when it arrives I might just send it back and wait for the GH2.

Vitaliy Kiselev
01-26-2011, 10:37 PM
I started adding information to www.gh1-hack.info/wiki (http://www.gh1-hack.info/wiki)

Right now I added link to newly released MN103 processor module for IDA 5.0
And also small section about AF100.

I'll keep adding information.

After some necessary work, I'll release and add used tools with description.

Next, we'll move to databases.

steve59
01-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Hello all,

Think that the FZ38 is hackable?
I have the firmware 1.0A recovered here:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download_f/FZ38/index2.html

Login: panasonic
Pass: lumix

Decompiled the firmware appears encrypted

Sorry for my bad english !

Vitaliy Kiselev
01-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Yes, FZ38 firmware uses UPD file format.
It is encrypted.

steve59
01-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Yes, FZ38 firmware uses UPD file format.
It is encrypted.

yes it's possible ?

what is udp ?

how to decrypt ?

stainremover
01-27-2011, 09:55 PM
just a question, and it seems very obvious, but has anyone tried putting on the stock 1.32 firmware, but using ptools to increase the version number of the firmware to something higher than 1.34 and naming the file higher than 134 also?

Vahlaav
01-28-2011, 12:03 AM
I started adding information to www.gh1-hack.info/wiki (http://www.gh1-hack.info/wiki)

I requested a password. How do I get it?

syuan
01-28-2011, 12:11 AM
vitality, thank you so much for your labor of love! I just got my G2 and is experimenting with the latest PTool. most functions under user-patch seems to be working ok. but the 422 color sampling doesn't work (lower half of the frame are all gibberish). am I doing something wrong or is it really a bug that is yet to be reslved? Will the 422 function be fixed on the next upgrade of the PTool on G2? that will be a dream come true!

Also the G2 MJPG default color profile seems to crush the black quite a bit, which can not be adjusted in camera. this is true even when contrast is set to -2. And I am having a hard time rendering darker skinned clients proper skin exposure in semi-dark to dark wedding venues due to the G2 built in MJPG color profile. Is there something that can be done from the PTool or future PTool upgrade? perhaps there's another that one can ajust the black point while video in the MJPG format in G2?