PDA

View Full Version : making references to other movies?

Azmyth
04-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Anyone else reference other movies in their own? Even if the references are so vague that only hardcore fans of those movies would be able to point them out?

Cassius
04-05-2010, 11:15 PM
I have a script going forward involving killer robots right now. The opening is basically Terminator 2; we include a variation of 'come with me if you want to live'; the robots use neural-net processors; character names include 'John', 'Conner' and 'Arnold'... there are a few other things in there. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when a reference happens. When delivered correctly, of course.

jls4
04-27-2010, 10:13 AM
I've done it several times. I try to keep it at a minimum though, usually hidden. Like if I were doing an action film I may have a side character named Arnold or Sly. But I wouldn't make him the lead or staring supporting. I like to give some attention to other people who've gone before me, but don't even want it to overshadow my piece.

Starshine Video
04-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Closest I have come is a zombie script I wrote where one of the secondary doctors dealing with the outbreak was named Dr. Romero.

Nathyn
04-27-2010, 10:01 PM
The FBI agents who protected my character in "Wages of Sin" were mainly named after old action heros, including "Dudikoff" and a black female agent named "Grier". One reviewer actually got it. But that's not really movie specific. If it were a ninja film with a guy named "Dudikoff" or "Kosugi" it would be different. Considering "Wages" had a bit of blaxplotation vibe, the "Grier" reference was more appropriate.

-Nate