PDA

View Full Version : "The Key" short film, cast/crew preview

Richard Allen Crook
03-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Tell me what you think of the Cinematography, Editing, sound and color.

Thanks for watching!

http://www.vimeo.com/10515780

kevinottawa
03-30-2010, 10:14 PM
I like the dolly shots, but then they end right when your getting into it.
To me, its a distraction, you got a nice push foward with a slow tilt, and then it just stops dead.
Its like the spider ride at a fair, the thing that spins you arround and you go flying towards the barrier, and then it stops and pulls you back. Gives my brain a sence of whats wrong, why am I not still moving in the same direction I just was.

But love the shots, looks great.

Jay Laville
03-31-2010, 01:15 AM
the shots look fantastic, love the dolly shots although like kevin said when it stops dead its a bit noticeable. Love the coloring. Kids were great, although the chroma key used at the end could of been keyed a little better, the subject was lit well in contrast to the footage she was placed on, but as the pan happen she had some detached hair offset to her, if you could omit this I think overall very professional looking in my opinion. If I could shoot and edit like you I'd be really happy with what I've achieved :thumbsup:

Richard J. Johnson
03-31-2010, 01:19 AM
Very nice movement. Looks damn good to me. The key at the end bothered me a little as well. Other than that it was pretty spot on. Were you using a slider or a Dolly? very smooth.

polfilmblog
03-31-2010, 09:31 AM
Look: Opening shots are great. Only problem is the blown out sunlight on her hair. Did you try stopping down to eliminate/reduce that? Are there other takes where the shadows are just too dark?

Story: Wasn't getting a strong story sense. Didn't seem like they were trying to do something in particular. It's more of a "they stumble upon something" kind of story, from the preview. And THEN WHAT?

And since we didn't get a lot of story info, it went on too long.

Richard Allen Crook
04-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the comments...much appreciated.

Story: Wasn't getting a strong story sense. Didn't seem like they were trying to do something in particular. It's more of a "they stumble upon something" kind of story, from the preview. And THEN WHAT?

Perhaps I should have mentioned...this is a cast/crew preview only, not an official trailer for the world to see. The trailer will have more story elements and follow a more trailerish format, I realize this doesn't convey any part of the story. Overall I think the magical treasure hunt feeling was conveyed, which was the object of this preview. Thanks for watching!

The key at the end bothered me a little as well.

Agreed. The key at the end is a rough composite...not the final. A little more time will be spent on that part. ;)

Were you using a slider or a Dolly? very smooth.

Thanks! I used a slider dolly mounted on a tripod and also a track dolly.

Seamus McFlannel
04-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Looks really good.