PDA

View Full Version : Set Designers

EDV
03-22-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm just realizing the importance of really good set design, especially for music videos. I am already doing about 10 other things, so I would really like to have someone who is talented in this one area.
Where do you find set designers? As with special effects, a lot of the really good ones seem to be too expensive for mid to low-budget projects.

Let's look at one example of really simple, but beautiful set design:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv4XvpGmHqA

I don't think I could afford anything more elaborate than this, and I can't think of
any examples of great low budget set design.

EDV
04-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Oh c'mon, no set designers here? Anyone ever hired one?

Sad Max
04-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Well, I'm a Set Designer, among other things, and I hire Set Designers too...

...the place to find professional designers - at least in major cities - is via the appropriate local union offices, although I'll assume that you're probably not planning to assemble the kind of budget necessary to support a union Art Department.

Try contacting area schools that have theatrical design programs, community theater programs that may include members with the right skills, and perhaps interior design and architecture firms that might be able to steer you to people interested in doing some set design work.

Failing that, Set Designers like moist warm dark places that smell like burned eraser strips and fresh coffee. They tend to be kind of dopey and sluggish in the early morning hours, which is the best time to catch them.

Good luck!