PDA

View Full Version : Moving to HD camera advice

Ogrus
03-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Until now i have used a DVX100B and its time to move to HD. I am a total newbie to HD and need simple language. I want to purchase a new videocam that will film in HD. I want at least the same quality the DVX gave me, of course being HD i guess image quality is better. I use the DVX for documentary work for small local tv networks, so what i film has to be good enough for TV.
Once again, im a newbie to HD, please dont take for granted normal HD knowledge people now
I can spend anything from 1500 to 3000$ (it could be less it could be a little bit more)
Any advice suggestions is very appreciated
Thanks!
Ogrus

PerroneFord
03-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Umm ok. Does it have to be good enough for HD broadcast, or Standard definition broadcast? Because I can tell you right now, you're going to have a heck of time finding any camera under $3k that is suitable for HD broadcast. Doing it under $10k has proven challenging to many folks.

But if you'd simply like to create HD masters, and submit that to broadcast with the expectation that it will be broadcast as standard definition, then you've got a few choices.

Is your computer and editing software up to working with HD? It will require significantly more CPU power than working with the files you have been working with.

Ogrus
03-23-2010, 04:02 AM
Umm ok. Does it have to be good enough for HD broadcast, or Standard definition broadcast? Because I can tell you right now, you're going to have a heck of time finding any camera under $3k that is suitable for HD broadcast. Doing it under $10k has proven challenging to many folks.

But if you'd simply like to create HD masters, and submit that to broadcast with the expectation that it will be broadcast as standard definition, then you've got a few choices.

Is your computer and editing software up to working with HD? It will require significantly more CPU power than working with the files you have been working with.

SD definition, they are small local networks that do not air in HD. Im into your second option. Create HD masters that will be broadcast as SD. I also want to do some pilots to show around.
As for the comp power, will have to probably get a more powerful machine, but that is secondary right now. As you mentioned, what choices do I have?

Thanks!

Brooksilver
03-23-2010, 09:20 PM
I would have recommended DSLR until I saw you do documentary. The DSLRs are not really equipped for run 'n gun as they all require precise follow focus.

You may want to wait until NAB in April to see what is announced. Otherwise a used HVX170 may be in your price range.

LittleTreeMedia
03-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Ogrus-

I'm in a very similar boat- have the 100b and I want to go HD for my latest documentary. I recently field tested the Panny HMC150 for the network i currently work at. I was pleasantly surprised. The picture quality is pretty stunning, shoots in native 24fps (no more 24pA), and is on the less expensive side of the scale. Also coming from the DVX all the controls are where i wanted them to be with some slight modification of dial sizes, etc. It wasnt like i had to learn a new camera. At B&H i think it goes for about $3400 new but I have seen some used ones for sale under $3000.

As I'm still trying to find the funding to upgrade my gear, so i havent made the switch yet. But when i do get the funds it will be that camera I buy. I would say look into it as an option.

-Dave
LTM

Ogrus
04-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Ogrus-

I'm in a very similar boat- have the 100b and I want to go HD for my latest documentary. I recently field tested the Panny HMC150 for the network i currently work at. I was pleasantly surprised. The picture quality is pretty stunning, shoots in native 24fps (no more 24pA), and is on the less expensive side of the scale. Also coming from the DVX all the controls are where i wanted them to be with some slight modification of dial sizes, etc. It wasnt like i had to learn a new camera. At B&H i think it goes for about $3400 new but I have seen some used ones for sale under $3000.

As I'm still trying to find the funding to upgrade my gear, so i havent made the switch yet. But when i do get the funds it will be that camera I buy. I would say look into it as an option.

-Dave
LTM

Very helpful dave! Thanks for the advice... i will be looking into that..