PDA

View Full Version : 7D picture styles and auto exposure

gentaylor
03-20-2010, 08:03 PM
I apologize if these questions have already been answered. I searched and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I'm using a 7D for documentary work. This involves both controlled interviews and "run and gun" work. For much of my shooting, I am too busy following subjects to worry about controlling ISO and aperture. So my preference has so far been to shoot in the "auto" mode.

However, I want to use custom picture styles. I read elsewhere that this meant that I had to shoot in fully manual mode ("M"), which would mean I would have to manually control my exposure, something I can't always do.

Question 1: Can I use other settings (C1-3, P, Tv, etc.) so that I can utilize a custom picture style while relying on the camera to control exposure.

Question 2: In movie mode, is there a difference in the way that the camera controls exposure in P, Tv, Av, etc. For example, in P mode, will the camera prioritize shallow DOF more than in Tv or Av.

Question 3: How does the camera control shutter speed in any setting other than "M." I know that shutter speed is important and should be 1/50, for example, when shooting 24p. Does the camera know to use the proper shutter speed for smooth motion or does it simply hand EV as it would in photo mode?

Many, many thanks to whoever answers these questions.