PDA

View Full Version : Honest 'nitpicky' Review

Chris_Keaton
03-17-2010, 08:38 AM
If there is anyone who wishes to opt out of my thorough and nitpicky review, just PM me. I realize that I didnt' give that option to some others, but I didn't think that folks might not appreciate that, my bad :(

I was leery of posting honest reviews before with our open voting system so ripe for revenge reviews, but thought it might help people improve their work. Take my feedback or leave it. I think I will do these reviews by request in the future.

So, if I don't hear from you, I'll give you the full monty (figuratively not literally, even if you ask nicely:)

P.s. I can seperate the minor flaws from the story and overall execution, so if I write you a paragraph worth of stuff it doesn't mean I will score you lower.

Tom Shortridge
03-17-2010, 11:14 AM
I'd even go so far as to request an even more thorough and nitpickier review for "The Night Shift," if you've got some hatred and vitriol to spare, Chris.

DarkElastic
03-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Sounds like a challenge to me... Now where's my wooden spoon?!?!?!

Chris_Keaton
03-17-2010, 12:24 PM
I'd even go so far as to request an even more thorough and nitpickier review for "The Night Shift," if you've got some hatred and vitriol to spare, Chris.

I never review out of hatred. I'd rather not waste my time and I'll just say 'nice script, keep writing' or something else equally useless. I review thoroughly to help capture every possible problem I see so you can correct them.

jamiejay
03-17-2010, 02:15 PM
have at it... feedback is always good... though, i completely feel you on the open voting issue...

i plan to score the scripts based on their merit and their hitchcockiness... and not based on whether or not someone gave me a good review... so, as long as the script is decent, it will get a decent score from me... no matter how cruel it's author is to me about my script... but please remember, people, that i'm sensitive and i fancy myself a writer... try not to bruise my ego too deeply... :p ;)

nitramlehcar
03-17-2010, 02:38 PM
I also scored a lot on the "hitchcockiness." I think there were a lot of good scripts, but also some that I didn't feel captured that Hitchcocky feeling, i.e. not very suspensful. I gave credit to those who did because hey...that was the contest.

Anthony Todaro
03-17-2010, 04:10 PM
I also scored a lot on the "hitchcockiness." I think there were a lot of good scripts, but also some that I didn't feel captured that Hitchcocky feeling, i.e. not very suspensful. I gave credit to those who did because hey...that was the contest.

Oooh but nowhere in the requirements did it say it must be "Hitchcockian". The requirements to be judged were three fold; Suspense/Thriller, MacGuffin and 6-10 pages.

There is no Hitchcockian requirement so if you're judging for that than it's kinda unfair...
But ahh life is unfair and I will now listen to this violin playing my sad song he he he. :violin:

jamiejay
03-17-2010, 04:24 PM
she did say i.e. suspenseful... and that's what i meant too... suspense, thriller... you know.... hitchcockian... so play something happier on that fiddle ;)

nitramlehcar
03-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Exactly. Thank you, jamiejay. I did read the directions and I was fair. Some were just less suspenseful and some were a little too predictable. Unfortunately you gotta vote some higher than the others, and everyone has different preferences and different reasons for their choices. That's pretty evident in the threads.

DarkElastic
03-17-2010, 04:31 PM
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set/BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFmFHSUc2bGpqM2hHcFFHS0 ljb0VEQncAAAACaWQKAXgAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg

Anthony Todaro
03-17-2010, 04:35 PM
she did say i.e. suspenseful... and that's what i meant too... suspense, thriller... you know.... hitchcockian... so play something happier on that fiddle ;)

Ahh pickle shoes! I was just getting started on the Chopin - Death March but okay... I'll change it to something snappier like a Ramones song. Yes on violin ;)

Okay but no one better be looking for birds, bloody drains (although I did use a shameless drain wind), twins, fat men making cameos or anything else of the like!

jaimie and nitramlehcar I don't want to get beat down by both of you in a dark alley, okay, maybe I do, but that's besides the point. Gotcha both loud and clear. :happy:

Dark needs to figure out how to post an image... But don't post that one. IT scared the shit out of me. :violent5:

DarkElastic
03-17-2010, 04:41 PM
This was the first one I tried to post - http://api.ning.com/files/AEDylqM5flE7TTEi6CwSJFjoRdXowx*k2gXm1S7RO26WSxiuBa DgIyFvd6opHT6jFkCi*Sh-4o8PhmgnlB*7S7VlC7PyGtPc/Photo80.jpg

But it must be too big... or something.

Anthony Todaro
03-17-2010, 04:42 PM
This was the first one I tried to post - http://api.ning.com/files/AEDylqM5flE7TTEi6CwSJFjoRdXowx*k2gXm1S7RO26WSxiuBa DgIyFvd6opHT6jFkCi*Sh-4o8PhmgnlB*7S7VlC7PyGtPc/Photo80.jpg

But it must be too big... or something.

Yeah, that's the ugly one.... don't post it. I'll have nightmares!!! It's like an UGLY SUSAN BOYLE!!!

Chris_Keaton
03-17-2010, 05:13 PM
How come there are no penis jokes after the ladies said HichCOCKian? oh wait you all might be over the age of 12.

nitramlehcar
03-17-2010, 05:25 PM
jaimie and nitramlehcar I don't want to get beat down by both of you in a dark alley, okay, maybe I do, but that's besides the point. Gotcha both loud and clear. :happy:

Haha. Don't make me choke on my Guinness.

Chris, insert (that's what she said) joke here. http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/images/smile/Drogar-Laugh%28DBG%29.gif

nitramlehcar
03-17-2010, 05:26 PM
How come there are no penis jokes after the ladies said HichCOCKian? oh wait you all might be over the age of 12.

I hope I'm never too old for a good penis joke.

mary.susanna
03-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Oh my god. I think I stumbled into the St. Paddy's thread. :grin:

Anthony Todaro
03-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah green penis! oh... wrong thread. My bad.

Chris_Keaton
03-18-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm going out to the DVXuser community trying to plug this thing and I just got another 'I'll pass'. You wanna know why? Well one guys responses to feedback is the main reason. No one wants to comment when they'll be jumped on and make people angry, so they stay away. :thumbsup:

So my rule of thumb on feedback. Take it or leave it. It's your choice, you don't need to take it personally. If you don't like the feedback, just say 'thanks' and move on. If you would like some clarification, just say 'thanks' and ask your question.

There's NO ONE who can't benefit from feedback. But if you throw a fit you'll stop getting it.

Sorry if this is obvious to all you folks that get it.

jamiejay
03-18-2010, 04:45 PM
that sucks because it is way too quiet on here... :(

mary.susanna
03-18-2010, 04:55 PM
I agree. I was having fun too. :(

Chris_Keaton
03-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Let's just keep plugging the fest.

Bigmagic
03-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Chris, I wish I was able to give as detailed a review as you do. I am not a script expert. I give general critiques. I do know what I like and I have read a ton of Hollywood scripts. You give great format suggestions and I don't believe your overly harsh. If I ever enter scriptfest feel free to let me have it.

Anthony Todaro
03-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Keaton rules.

DarkElastic
03-18-2010, 07:41 PM
:love4:I love you, Chris:love4:

Chris_Keaton
03-18-2010, 08:17 PM
:love4:I love you, Chris:love4:

Yeah, I know, I like you to, but please get your hand out of my pants.

Hey Dark does that slash/producer in your signature block work with the ladies. :happy:

Now this thread has reached the proper tone.

DarkElastic
03-18-2010, 08:28 PM
No, never:violin:
How about 'Ready to write something fantastic anytime.'

Michael Carter
03-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Hey, I took it like a man (the review, that is). It wasn't quite like a first night in prison... if you're going to post a script here for public consumption, you could do worse that a review from Chris.

KhamIsk
03-18-2010, 09:04 PM
I took it like a woman, can take much more than that like a woman.

Thank you Mr. President.

Chris_Keaton
03-18-2010, 09:22 PM
No, never:violin:
How about 'Ready to write something fantastic anytime.'

My wife tends to frown on my attempts at fetching other women. Mainly she shows this with a stun gun. :embarasse