PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying the 5D / 7D

long_woods
03-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Well I've shot with the 5D two days ago and I enjoyed the out come.

I've never been a fan only because I've spent so much money on my video gear I would hate to use something that was only a quarter of the cost.

I loved the fact I can shoot all day on my shoulder and go home not in pain.

So I been using the HVX200 with a Letus & Primes for a while now and I think I might jump into getting a 5D.

Tell me guys, should I do it or not. I do a lot of short film work & Documentary work, do you think it would be a waste of money?

long_woods
03-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Also how hard is it to edit with the 5D or 7D footage.

Anthonyb
03-12-2010, 01:15 AM
This is definitely the wrong forum for this topic, but as a shameless plug check out a recent commercial I shot on the 5D Mark II.

http://www.vimeo.com/9997318

N.E.S.
03-12-2010, 05:25 AM

I've never been a fan only because I've spent so much money on my video gear I would hate to use something that was only a quarter of the cost.

So I been using the HVX200 with a Letus & Primes for a while now and I think I might jump into getting a 5D.

Tell me guys, should I do it or not. I do a lot of short film work & Documentary work, do you think it would be a waste of money?

DSLRS are the present and future. Sell your equipment, get the DSLR you like and have pocket money left over for liquor and women :happy:

ROCKMORE
03-12-2010, 06:18 AM

I just finished a project shot with an EX3 rental, and the footage looks fantastic. I also just picked up a 550D for a test and pocket carry around camera. After 2 days of shooting, I'm not so sure the extra $7,500 would be well spent.
The 5D and 7D are both amazing, but the 550D is cheap enough to buy with a half decent audio package to go with it. You will need to spend from $700 on up minimum for a small field recorder and shotgun. (Audio guys will say at least 2 grand)
I love this 550D after 2 days. Very quick to control and change functions in manual mode. All the speed and aperture controls are under your right thumb and index finger. The auto focus correction by pressing the shutter button half way, in between takes works great to refocus your subject. Just hold down a second and wait till the box turns green.
It's the perfect professional pocket camera.

The 5D is the obvious next step, but it is not there yet. That's what I will add to the collection but I will already have an audio kit at least workable day one.

long_woods
03-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Well I already only a decent shotgun mic, what field mixer would I need to buy that's ideally pretty cheap.

Ben_B
03-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Well I already only a decent shotgun mic, what field mixer would I need to buy that's ideally pretty cheap.

Doesn't matter what field mixer you're using because the cameras have auto-gain control on the audio. He's telling you to get a recorder and sync in post...which is fine and which I do for narratives on my GH1...although usually the boom-guy has the audio recorder, and that's how we've been doing it for years even when we were shooting on the HVX + Letus.

BUT.

Wait till they release the 5D firmware update in a few days, see if people like it, and if it works, and then get a 5D. It's supposed to give it 24p and manual audio controls with level monitoring.

But I would say keep the HVX and the Letus and all that. The DSLRs really have nothing on that setup except size...I would say don't plan to sell your setup when you get the 5D, wait a good long while and see if the 5D can do the job for you.

But yeah, I think the 5D is the best one, not the T2i or 7D.

alignment1
03-12-2010, 08:38 AM

H4N for sure - it's small,xlr inputs, 4tracks of audio, sd cards-plenty of record time, for 300 bucks

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/600761-REG/Zoom_H4N_H4n_Handy_Mobile_4_Track.html

ROCKMORE
03-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Wait till they release the 5D firmware update in a few days, see if people like it, and if it works, and then get a 5D. It's supposed to give it 24p and manual audio controls with level monitoring.

But yeah, I think the 5D is the best one, not the T2i or 7D.

I've been itching to just go buy a 5D for a year, but decided to wait a while longer.
Personally I would hold off on the 5D till the next model comes out with all the new modifications designed in. Just look at the difference between the 500D and the 550D, like night and day. The new 5D will be the same level of improvement, count on it.
The 550 was so cheap that it doesn't effect my 5D budget, and if I decide to sell it in the next 6-8 months It will hold a lot of it's value till then.

One thing that the 5D / 7D won't ever be is as compact. This 550D I stuck into a little LowPro bag the size of the camera. If you carry a camera everyplace you go then small is good. As far as the build quality, its better than I expected. You shouldn't bang any camera around even if it does have a cast titanium body.