PDA

View Full Version : Would you have entered?

Nemesis TS
03-09-2010, 12:21 PM
This was my first fest entry and it was not finished. The movie is missing a score. The sound effects were thrown together last minute. The sound mix was good, except I made some edits after I gave it to my sound guy, so we had some sync issues. I couldn't get the thing converted down to 60MB so I had to do some 11th hour edits and cut 14 seconds out, which screwed up the end visual effect and may have created more out of sync audio. Not sure cause this download business seams to have bad effects on audio anyway.

I did not want to submit this film for the Fest. It says a film by ME and I wasn't comfortable putting this out there. Even if this movie was complete, the acting wouldn't get better, the shots that were blown out are still going to be wrong, and the story doesn't change. But, it would have been complete and been as good as I could have made it.

I spoke to my good friend George and told him I didn't think it was as important to enter the fest as it was to finish the movie. And he said I should do both. It was a difficult decision and went against my own personal feelings to enter. However, it wasn't about me. Yes it says "a ME film" but nothing could be farther from the truth. Its a collaboration of efforts and my pals don't care, they wanted to enter. So I did.

Just wondering, would you have entered?

chriscurl
03-09-2010, 12:27 PM
I'd say absolutely, if you learned anything constructive from anything anyone has said (*I haven't watched yet, I am slowly getting there), then you benefited from it. I'd bet that the vast majority of these films weren't as complete as the submitter would have liked them to be (me for one). Finishing it is still there available to you and I'd guess it will end up being better as a finished product than if you had just kept working. I don't think you lost anything by submitting it.

Nemesis TS
03-09-2010, 12:52 PM
How funny is that. I was just commenting on your movie.... Weird.

Richard J. Johnson
03-09-2010, 01:20 PM
I would have entered if it was me.

GoodLuck
03-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Well I think it's good for the exposure. That's the first film I've seen done by you. I also enjoyed your comments on mine. I think if I wouldn't have entered the fest, some people on here wouldn't know who I am and I wouldn't really know who they are. I got a few people who pm'd me that they've been wanting to do a short film. So to see someone else just get it done, although to me or you it might not seem like a big deal...to them it's a big accomplishment. Everyone in the fest are people who can make it happen. Real producers who will follow it through to completion on a deadline and on a budget. These are all the movers and shakers, making the idea of doing a film a reality. Have to respect that!

I also think it's showing that you are willing to take the criticism, feedback and put your stuff out there. There are a lot of filmmakers who call themselves filmmakers and you can never watch anything they've done. It's always trailers to shorts, or teasers or nothing at all. So to put it out there I think is a big step. Also it's a great way to get feedback to make changes before going more wide on vimeo/youtube.

Bigmagic
03-09-2010, 01:53 PM
I had similar feeling about my film, ultimately it boils down to finishing what you start. I have had attempts before at these fests that got derailed for various reasons. I refused to quit on this one and I'm glad I saw it through even though it didn't wind up the film I wanted it to be. I have enjoyed the comments both good and bad and I learned so much from completing the process and having someone else comment on things I already knew and on things I didn't think of. All in all a great experience I will do again.