PDA

View Full Version : How many of you dumped your 35mm adapter?

Bobonli
03-07-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm curious how many people dumped their 35mm adapters and went HDSLR and, if so, are you happy and would you do it again? I'd also be curious to hear how many of you use them on paying gigs.

Here's why; I'm not trolling for pros and cons of the two tools. I still believe that the HDSLRs are over-hyped by paid evangelists. But the fact is a lot of people are turning out good looking stuff. I was out today, shooting with my Ex-1 and adapter and really started questioning if it's right for what I like to do.

First of all, 25 minutes to dress the naked camera with the rails etc. Then--there's no other way to put this: It's like walking around with a bazooka. There's no way to be inconspicuous, which is what I was after today. So I'm really wondering if I'd be better off with a HDSLR for those gorilla missions and when I need a second cam. Right now I have the EX-1 and adapter; that's it and there's plenty of times I want to park a second cam on sticks and forget about it while I move with the ex-1.

Maybe I'm rationalizing my desire to try something new, but I'd like to hear from anyone who bailed from their adapter.

Thank you.

ugafan
03-07-2010, 02:57 PM
i'm kind of in that transition phase myself. right now i'm leaning towards getting a t2i. i figure i can try it out and if it's not for me i could always sell it on here.

Richard J. Johnson
03-07-2010, 02:59 PM
I did.

Bobonli
03-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I did.

If I remember correctly, there was more to it than just wanting to change cameras. You had an HVX and adapter. If financial concerns hadn't intervened, would you still have made the switch.

dtjohns1
03-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I had an hv20 and a jag35 pro and recently went out and bought a t2i and i am very happy with my decision. I mostly do a lot of short films, commercial, music video and event intro work (basically anything that you can yell cut to) and i am very happy with my purchase. I will admit when I had bought the jag 35 i was not impressed at all with the image quality while getting good dof. I actually never used it on any gigs because it was a pain and it degraded my image. I will say that learning everything i did learn from using the jag (lighting, lenses, stabalization) really helped me jump right into a dslr world. All equipment has its limitations but if you find ways to work around them and then come into a better situation you definitely appreciate it much more and learn techniques to make ur future footage even better. In ur situation I would keep the ex-1 and get a dslr to compliment it. But after actually using one on a shoot and seeing how hassle free it is you might make the dslr ur primary cam.

ROCKMORE
03-07-2010, 03:51 PM
If I were you I'd keep the EX1 and sell the rig then use the cash to get the T2. I just shot a job with a rented EX3 and the results were great all around. The shoot, the slow motion and the post. I believe the EX1 is pretty much the same if I'm not wrong. I just rent cameras, but if I already owned an EX1 or 3 I don't think I would sell it. A very good money making workhorse.

NextWaveG
03-07-2010, 04:02 PM
I started with an HV20 and Brevis than moved to an XH-A1 and M2. The two main problems I had was setup time and light loss due to the 35mm adapter. I now shoot on the 5D MkII and use it more than any of my adapters.

You can check out my YouTube page to see my transition from one camera to another and also check out a few of the commercials I've used my 5D for. I also recently uploaded a BTS video from a corporate shoot I did.

http://youtube.com/nextwaveg

Jester2138
03-07-2010, 08:04 PM
I did.

yoclay
03-07-2010, 11:40 PM
No comparison. The DSLR's blow away a lot of the DOF stuff. It is worth owning a DSLR at this point. So get rid of that adapter. HOWEVER, Don't sell that HVX or EX1 just yet. There are certain shots you can't get any other way. Particularly if you own a CCD camera. The EX1 (even though it is CMOS) will be good in run and gun when you need to focus quickly, or have an integrated XLR system. It will also help when you need alernative framerates or have problems with aliasing and moire. These artifacts are the bugaboo of current DSLR's. An HVX (CCD camera) is also going to be helpful and a very good alternative for quick pans or moving shots where rolling shutter/jello is just a plain nightmare.
Get rid of the adapter but keep the camera if it is on the HVX/EX1 level. Anything smaller, like an HV20, well it might be time to give it to the kids.

AllAroundFilmLV
03-08-2010, 02:28 AM
i'm kind of in that transition phase myself. right now i'm leaning towards getting a t2i. i figure i can try it out and if it's not for me i could always sell it on here.

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you right now.

I'm basically looking to go HD as I have a DVC80 right now. I figure if I sell that and my Nikon D60, I'd have more than enough for a T2i + accessories, or a 7D.

Sorry for the shameless plug:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=202589

kevinottawa
03-08-2010, 02:57 AM
I was in the process of making one, for my SD 3ccd. Saw the t2i, and said c ya and picked up my new HD video SLR for the sale price of my old camera

Tomas Riuka
03-08-2010, 03:02 AM
not me. Though HDSLR is useful in some places, but it won't replace proper adapter system, not talking about 2/3 ccd camera with p+s and digiprimes or superspeed PL lens

03-08-2010, 05:29 AM
It's funny I have owned my HV20 for a long time, with just a 6600. Always wanted to get a 35mm adapter but when I finally decided to pull the trigger vDSLR's hit. I opted for the GH1. GH1 with FD's = love!! But now I want to get a stupid cheap 35mm adapter to use all my FD's on the HV also. I could never sell my HV. Busting it out is so much easier and lighter (with just the 6600) than the GH1, with still great results.

Richard J. Johnson
03-08-2010, 05:32 AM
If I remember correctly, there was more to it than just wanting to change cameras. You had an HVX and adapter. If financial concerns hadn't intervened, would you still have made the switch.

you remember correctly. I think I would have kept my HVX and dumped the adapter if I could have.

Trey T
03-08-2010, 05:39 AM
dump the adapter and of course keep your EX-1.

you're doing to need at least one camera that does super low-light capability and the only ones are the DSLRs.

MadHMC150
03-08-2010, 06:00 AM
I went with the GH1 instead of an adapter... very happy with the decision.

Jewlz the director
03-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Wow i thought i was the only one having a convo like this in my head as far as thinking of moving away from my adapter..lol i worked on a music video yesterday were we were using 2-5d's and 1-7d,and i fell in love with the simplicity of the prep as opposed to the time it would usually take to adjust my dvx or hvx with the redrock adapter,i actually ordered the t1i from bestbuy for businesses but i read about some of the things it lacked on many diff sites like ext.mic connect etc.I gave it some more thought and realized,no mic jack was a thing i could'nt give up, so i decided to cancel my order and start my search for the t2i and yes i'm selling my adapter and the fd lenses.So give me a minute and it will definitely be here on a Marketplace section.

manglerBMX
03-09-2010, 06:57 AM
i was using a redrock on my hmc150. bought a d90, saw the light(partially, due to nikon sucking in the video dept.). and when 7d was announced that was it. sold the d90 and the adapter gear, kept the nikon glass and kept the hmc150.

Bobonli
03-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm at the point that I'm willing to move on from adapter life. It's a great device if it makes sense for your particular work flow and you don't mind the size. A fully kitted-out HDSLR rig is not tiny, either, but it's a heckova a lot more manageable and you dont necessarily need rails etc to make an image.

I like the idea of having another camera, too. So I'll probably take the plunge.

What's the bare minimum I'll need to get rolling?

Camera. I have CF cards, Nikon glass, filters
Adapter ring to use my Nikon glass on Canon camera. What's the current favorite?
An audio solution (not critical for now for B roll; eventually Zoom H4)
Z-finder??? On the fence as to whether this is "essential"

Thanks

Richard J. Johnson
03-09-2010, 07:40 AM
I think buying a Z-finder depends on the your style of shooting. I have a similar DIY solution and I do use it a lot. the only thing I found to be truly essential in my case was varying lenses. Almost everything elese I technically could shoot without. But I would not look as cool.:happy:

hdimages.ca
03-09-2010, 07:42 AM
i was shooting with the hpx170 /redrock /nikon prime set. now gone canon 5d/prime lens set . i miss only my 60 fps. waiting for the new software ? might have to get a 7d as well if not. now when i move to scarlet with canon mount i will be all set up.

William_Robinette
03-09-2010, 08:08 AM
I sold my brevis and bought a 7d. I wish I had saved a little and bought a hpx170 instead to use with the brevis.

marlontorres
03-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Raises hand.

Jay Laville
03-10-2010, 01:53 PM
i had xh-a1 and was deciding between ex3 and 7d, i chose 7d and am really happy, hated dof adapter on xh-a1 if i were you keep ex1 but sell the adapter get t2i what lenses you got for your adapter canon?

Bobonli
03-10-2010, 02:16 PM
i had xh-a1 and was deciding between ex3 and 7d, i chose 7d and am really happy, hated dof adapter on xh-a1 if i were you keep ex1 but sell the adapter get t2i what lenses you got for your adapter canon?

I have several Nikkors from 16 to 80-200. Adapter ring is on it's way. I have access to a 7d to work with/test while I decide what camera to buy; most likely 7d.