PDA

View Full Version : Any final word on the HDMI output?

jandings
03-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Heeeello,
I found so many different infos about the 7D's HDMI output; now I am trying to get used to my 7D and wonder what the facts are about the HDMI output.

Fact for me is that with my HDMI cable and my TV capable LCD (which has only HDMI via an DVI adapter, older Gateway model) I can not get any resolution beyond SD, no matter if I record or not or push the Info button or not. (SD is what the info screen of my LCD says)

But I've read many posts anywhere that people were able to put a higher resolution on an HDMI screen (though I understand that output is always scaled down a bit).

What is right? And what am I doing wrong?

I get the impression that maybe the 7D automatically switches between SD and HD HDMI output depending on the attached cable or device. Can this be confirmed? Is it the cable? Or rather the device actually sending some "capability-infos" back to camera?

Any help?

ydgmdlu
03-08-2010, 09:18 AM
The 7D outputs 1080i through HDMI when it's recording and when it's not. If it's no working like that with your monitor, then try a different monitor. Your monitor probably just doesn't accept 1080i input.

aragorn65
04-05-2010, 08:59 AM
I just got my hdmi cable. When I playback video the 16:9 image takes up the whole screen on the Panasonic 42" Full HD monitor. When I'm recording, there are black panels on the side. When recording, is it possible to monitor full HD? How do you know if the 7D outputs SD or HD?

ydgmdlu
04-14-2010, 11:40 AM
When I'm recording, there are black panels on the side. When recording, is it possible to monitor full HD?
No; this is because the HDMI-out is sending exactly what you'd be seeing on the camera's on-board LCD to your monitor. Thus, it has overlays.

How do you know if the 7D outputs SD or HD?
Well, I think that if you're trying to use a 42" monitor, then you'd be able to tell the difference just by looking.