http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=16052&d=1267918549

The Ballad of Lorna and Baxter
Written and Directed by Randal Truko

Cast:
Debra Iverson as Lorna
Aric Bakeberg as Baxter
Randal Truko as Fellow

Synopsis
A short film exploring man, creation, and betrayal.

GoodLuck
03-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Hello Randal, welcome! Cool poster, has a classic feel. :)

MSpencer
03-06-2010, 03:15 PM
silent film i like that... you better have some good audio. ;)

Ki-Ki
03-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I laughed to hard at that. ^

totitefilms
03-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Nice poster! Welcome to the fest!

MSpencer
03-06-2010, 03:28 PM
i'm glad someone got the joke. i didn't wanna come off sounding like a jerk. haha but good luck with the entry

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Very cool. Welcome to the Fest!

Rodney V. Smith
03-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Welcome to the fest dude.

randal t.
03-06-2010, 04:14 PM
thanks guys looks like some great films this fest!

Mike@AF
03-07-2010, 06:34 PM
I guess I'm the first to review your film. I like how you went with the old school silent film concept. Very simple and short. It all worked for me except I thought there were too many title cards thrown in. I think you could take out almost all of them and we'd still be able to understand what's going on.

Nice job!

ZazaCast
03-07-2010, 07:29 PM
This was a cool concept and I think you did a good job with it. I have to agree with Mike about the title cards.
Technically, the render size was a little small for my taste and I would have worked a little more on the music.
A more intricate piano piece would have suited it better as silent films rely on it.

Good work and I look forward to future entries from you!

randal t.
03-07-2010, 09:07 PM
ahh good point about the cards! I just really wanted to get that betrayal line in there....
yes I rendered it too small, that's one of the things that was new to me this time so Hopefully I'll have it down for next time.

pborghee
03-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Really loved the concept behind this. Enjoyed watching the Betrayal. The only thing i can say is i wish you would have used more music. I was getting tired of the same piano beat throughout and would have liked to see something more. Other then that good job!

Homunculus
03-08-2010, 12:33 PM
i agree this was a really cool concept about whose execution i am ambivalent. the music was good ...for the first 30 seconds or so but the same droning on over and over was really beginning to get grating. because of this and the limited scope of the setting/location this felt like more of a student film just simply for the fact that it didn't seem as much effort went into it as many of the other shorts that had multiple locations and/or sets and/or more actors and basically more variety in general. but a good start and good effort if this is one of your first films.

Luis_
03-08-2010, 04:36 PM
magical umbrellas can make humans but not fix heart attacks!
it's time to get your money back for that umbrella!
lol...
nice film...
good job...

vnguyen972
03-08-2010, 04:42 PM
there has to be a message behind all this... maybe respecting the creator? :-) I like the piano track.. though I wish the video was sped up a bit more... maybe better? reminds me of those Charles Chaplin movies :-) good work!

ChrisHurn
03-08-2010, 07:20 PM
I really enjoyed this, even more so after seeing most of the other films in the fest. That’s not to say that the films in this fest haven’t been good – because they’ve been incredible, and to a very high standard, but it was fun to see something a little more light hearted, quirky, and very creative...different.

I thought you did an excellent job. I liked the way you presented the cards. The music was pretty nifty, though in some areas I think it got a bit much. I liked the general idea of it though. Neat way to tell a story, this was very fun to watch.

Memorable Moment
Loved the bit when the guy shot him down and he fell all dramatically, holding his chest. I really liked how the other guy ran behind him and shot him down like that. Quirky. I also liked how you introduced each character onto the screen. Cool.

Overall a very fun entry, Congratulations, I liked this film!

randal t.
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
thanks everybody that has commented! I'm really glad you guys got a kick out of it. Yes, I did focus a little more on the story side than the technical side, but if you guys made it through and didn't hate it than I'll consider it a success for my first entry. good criticism by the way thanks for that as well!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Story: A nice change of pace, well structured.

Acting: Seemed very appropriate for the film.

Technical: The music was a bit repetitive. I wish you could have done more with it as it had to carry the girth. The editing was pretty good, some of the cards needed a bit of work. Nice work overall.

Very creative. Congratulations on getting it done.

MAH

Chris Messineo
03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm surprised, but psyched to see so many silent films in this fest (mine is one too).

I like the choice to shoot in black and white. The costumes look great against the snow.

I also dug the ironic ending. Fun film. Best of luck in the fest.

MrSeth
03-10-2010, 08:13 PM
My critique for The Ballad of Lorna and Baxter
The story:
Pretty good. It had a beginning, middle, and an end! Loved the "God" reference.

The acting:
Great

The camerawork:
Liked the black and white touch to it. Was that greenscreen? Pretty cool

The editing:
Very clean! Liked it a lot!!

The sound and music:
Music was cool but got too repetitive. I had to turn off the sound to finish the rest of the movie.

Overall impression:
A charming film. I'm very impressed!!

My favorite shot:
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/8913/screenshot20100310at913.png

Nemesis TS
03-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Good job. I don't care for this type of movie so I will talk about the technical stuff. The costumes were perfect, everyone was dressed appropriately. Except, the female's piercing. I thought it really hurt the film, you were so true to the genre and she had an eyebrow pierced. The piano riff worked initially but should have really taken over as a character in the film and been way more dramatic. All and all I think you put together a pretty nice piece here. You really nailed this kind of movie.

randal t.
03-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks to everyone that commented on my film! This has been a very cool experience and now that i've been through one fest hopefully next time i can raise the bar.......:happy: