PDA

View Full Version : BetrayalFest Gear?

Tunnelmen
03-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Hello Betrayalfesters! I've changed cams since filming my entry for the Fest and I've been eyeballing new new gear....buuuuuuttttt, my interest is peaking about the DLSR revolution. I've got an HVX now and I really like its functionality. My old dof adapter went in a sale with my last cam and I'm eyeballing a new one, but I'm really thinking that I should sell the HVX and go 7D.....I hate losing the audio capabilites (I REALLY DO!!), but it seems to make sense for some reason. Maybe because I see so many of you shooting DSLRs.

Sorry, Rambling.

What I want to know is, for you Betrayalfest participants, did you shoot with video camera or dslr and were you happy with going that way?

Thanks!!

Rodney V. Smith
03-05-2010, 01:55 PM
I love my HVX and until RED or Scarlet prys it from my cold dead fingers, I'll keep shooting with it. I am interested in the new DSLRs for sure, but for some reason I really like to have full functionality. Going with the 7D feels like a step backward in terms of how you record audio (on a separate recorder) and jus tmy purposes doesn't seem sustainable in the long run. That's just my way of saying that I;d consider it more as a rental option than anything else... the right tool for the job, like in low light, or low profile situations...

vnguyen972
03-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Coming from HV30 to 7D, I must say, this is my best investment so far... the last time I did such investment was when I bought the 1st generation of XL-1 ...LOL

I am not a professional by trade... I am only interested in filmmaking and with my budget level and skill, this 7D seems to be perfect... I actually had no issue with recording audio separately... that's how they do it on "real" movie production anyway... ok, shouldn't say "real", but bigger budget film production anyway... so it's a good practice for me .. oh and I love the DOF :-)

The camera isn't a true video camera ..I get it.. but it allows me to use it as if it's film camera, forcing me to learn and adapt to it... not just point and shoot... and that is the challenge I really like... I got to learn about ISO, shutter speed,aperture and different lenses... like a photographer which is also another point that attracts me to this camera...

I always like photography and never really had a pro still camera before.. I'm tired of point and shoot still camera... and wanna learn to take pictures like a pro... so yeah.. one stone for 2 birds... althought there is still some issues with work flow, like LCD shuts off when plugging in an external monitor via HDMI or composite, moire, jello but those just force you to think of an alternative way to avoid those so I like said.. for my purposes, it's the best investment so far, though I wish I could pay it off with paid projects like many did... oh well... at least my wife was right! :-)

Richard J. Johnson
03-05-2010, 02:30 PM
I went from hvx/lex combo to the 7D and I don't regret it, but I'm totally with Rodney on the audio thing. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

This was the first time I actually shot anything narrative on the 7D and it was interesting to say the least.

If you have an hvx, keep it. That's what I wish I would have done.

Rodney V. Smith
03-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Personally I think it's just the right tool for the right job. There are things that the 7D can do a lot better than my HVX Brevis combo and the other way around, but that's like saying one Microphone will solve all of your problems. There is no one solution for everything and a bit of redundancy never hurt. Same with audio: i wish I could record separate sound and I'll invest in an H4N in a couple of weeks... but I'll still also record to the the camera (when I have that option).

Tunnelmen
03-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Good Stuff! I used to have an H4 (no N) and the user interfaced was horrible....sound was great, but took too long to navigate. I think the "N" version is suppose to be much better. I personally thought it was a blessing to get great onboard sound with the HVX, especially because it was uncompressed.....more thinking I suppose?

Thanks Rodney, Richard and vnguyen972!

Still want to hear everyone elses experiences!

ZazaCast
03-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm selling eveything I have and getting an iPhone!
Did you know they shoot video now?

:evil:

MSpencer
03-05-2010, 03:31 PM
YES zaza... always count on you for that remark... i shoot on a hvx redrock and well i just sold the redrock but i also have a GH-1 which i go run and gun with... it works out perfectly that's what i shot my second entry on.... with no external audio. haha.. it was very very spur of the moment.

j1clark@ucsd.edu
03-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Here's a fixture you'll need to make 'pro' iPhone films...

http://www.wantowle.com/

(and in a pinch, it can act as a defensive weapon...)

Tunnelmen
03-05-2010, 05:05 PM

Fan-Freakin-tastic! I'll wait.

Cassius
03-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Hype shouldn't define your project needs. I have a GH1 and I really like it, but I also really miss my HVX, which had to be sold for economical reasons. Which one is right depends on your needs, but if the setup time is there I would rather have kept my HVX.

Mike@AF
03-05-2010, 07:32 PM
I sold my HVX for a GH1 and am very happy. Not having my HVX anymore takes me out of the game for certain projects, but for what I really want to be doing I prefer the GH1. My films have been looking more cinematic and filmlike with the improved depth of field as opposed to the HVX (without an adapter). I'm also able to shoot in much lower light conditions than I was before, which gives me more flexibility. I'm looking forward to the next generation of these DSLRs and hoping they have audio and less jello and rolling shutter issues.

seanmcleod
03-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Yeah I would say if your doing a lot of wedding or event style things, you may want to keep with the prosumer camcorders... but if you're like me who does mostly commercials, films, and music videos, I can't really see a overt reason to not go with a DSLR other than maybe just holding out for the second gen... think about what you shoot most often, and weigh the pros and cons of the perspective cams in those scenarios... the short comings of DSLRs are weeeelll documented (mostly by people who haven't used one, haha) and you know how a camcorder performs. It's basically what suits your needs is best for you!

Cassius
03-06-2010, 02:29 AM
In a perfect world I would have kept both. So that's my suggestion.

Add to that that I shoot in a place made mostly of forest and ocean, both things that are too detailed for the GH1 to render properly. It causes me more than a few problems.

Tunnelmen
03-08-2010, 05:04 PM
After seeing several DSLR films, I had to bump this. I would love to hear more opinions on the subject. I should have addressed workflow as well, as that really plays into how your cam\dslr worked on the project. I've recently shot some things with my new hvx/P2/raylight setup/workflow and its sooooooo freakin smooth for me. So along with the cameras and their functionality, throw in your experience with the workflow (easy/not) on your Betrayalfest project as well.......i need more money......hehe, that reminds me of "send more paramedics"

Richard J. Johnson
03-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Workflow is pretty simple and smooth, although not as fast P2. I found it to have one extra step, that being converting to Prores 422 or the like. My Mac is older and I can not edit the h.264 files natively, But if you have a crazy fast machine it may be possible. If you want slomo you will need an additional step to convert the 60i footage.

Definitely a learning curve but I have it down now. It just takes longer in my case.