PDA

View Full Version : TWO D***S (Suck It Kevin Smith) - a film by Chris Marrs Piliero

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-04-2010, 04:33 PM
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FILM (http://www.dvxfest.com/betrayalfest/index.php?id=3900707)

http://www.marrsentertainment.com/dvxuser/poster-small.png

Edited / Produced / Directed by
CHRIS MARRS PILIERO

Written by
CHRIS MARRS PILIERO & DON PILIERO

CAST:
ERIK SORDS
DAVE VEIS

Director of Photography
JEFF BUTCHER

Sound Mixer / Boom Operator
CHRIS "FLECK" HERNANDEZ

Production Assistants
SARAH GRIMM
WILL GABRIEL

Music Provided By
DIANA GONE WRONG

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-04-2010, 04:34 PM
This is my first entry into a DVXFest... finally...

Some FUN FACTS:

- Shot on the Canon 7D
- Used Kit Lenses... 28-135mm and 18-55mm as well as a 50mm
- Sound from the H4N Zoom using a Senn ME66 with a K6
- Edited in Final Cut Pro

The title of the film comes from the fact that Kevin Smith wanted his current film "Cop Out" to be called "A Couple Of Dicks" but because of the major television networks refusing to air commercials saying that title, he was forced to change it. Since this is just a small indie project that will never have to deal with that kind of situation, I can use such a title... It fits my film very well since both of my actors are dudes and they're both, well... dicks. Being a Kevin Smith fan, I wouldn't feel right just more or less stealing and manipulating his title idea, so I decided to give him props in a tongue-in-cheek fashion while also poking fun at the fact that he sadly couldn't use his clever title.

MSpencer
03-04-2010, 04:39 PM
i love to see a comedy... way to be..

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Heck yeah... hopefully ya dig it...

hey why isn't my signature showing up with my banner?

ZazaCast
03-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Wow.. what a title! Welcome & looking forward to the film.

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-04-2010, 07:34 PM
thanks zaza!

Rodney V. Smith
03-04-2010, 07:39 PM
welcome. interesting title. It's going to be fun posting that on facebook...

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-04-2010, 07:55 PM
welcome. interesting title. It's going to be fun posting that on facebook...

thanks! good to be here! is there a betrayalfest facebook or do you mean if I were to post it on my facebook?

Rodney V. Smith
03-04-2010, 08:03 PM
There is a facebook page. I'd link it but I'm writing this from my iPod. Look it up Betrayalfest 2010

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-04-2010, 08:06 PM
There is a facebook page. I'd link it but I'm writing this from my iPod. Look it up Betrayalfest 2010

cool, just became a fan of it...

Chris Messineo
03-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Intriguing title - looking forward to the film.

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-04-2010, 09:16 PM
thanks! hope you enjoy it! looks like we're both jumping into the game at the last second... good times...

Hermn8r
03-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Welcome in! This should be interesting...

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-05-2010, 10:27 AM
uploaded and all seems well... first dvxfest for me so I'm stoked to finally be in the game...

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Welcome in! This should be interesting...

ha... interesting indeed! i think it'll be good times... maybe interesting good times?

nils_dvx
03-05-2010, 11:12 AM
looking forward to seeing your film. good luck!

-Nils

"Recession" by Nils David Peterson -- DVXUSER Betrayalfest 2010 (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=201885)

Mike@AF
03-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Well, now this I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy watching. The question is, will Kevin Smith?

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-05-2010, 09:08 PM
looking forward to seeing your film. good luck!

-Nils

"Recession" by Nils David Peterson -- DVXUSER Betrayalfest 2010 (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=201885)

thanks nils! same to you buddy...

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Well, now this I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy watching. The question is, will Kevin Smith?

i'd like to think so... it doesn't have any southwest airline flights anywhere in it, so he's good to go...

Mike@AF
03-05-2010, 09:34 PM
LMAO! Hilarious!

totitefilms
03-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Very interesting title and poster. Can't wait to see the film.

Tim Joy
03-06-2010, 09:04 AM
This sounds like my kind of movie. :)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-06-2010, 09:48 AM
This sounds like my kind of movie. :)
I knew you liked Dick movies. :evil:
jk

Good luck with this one. Looks like a lot of fun.

MAH

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-06-2010, 10:23 AM
jk

MAH

haha... nice one...

Christopher Blake
03-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Love the title. Looking forward to checking it out!

Nemesis TS
03-06-2010, 04:00 PM
If the movie is as funny as the poster, were in for a treat. Two dicks made by guy in a banana suit, am I sensing a theme here?

I'm ready to watch this thing.

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 04:02 PM
I am totally on board with this one! This is way up there on my must watch list. Looks great.

Tim Joy
03-06-2010, 04:08 PM
jk

MAH

guess I stepped into that one.

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Epic!! the dirty socks on the pink step thing was killing me! Man you have the 7D looking amazing. funny ass film. I was dying because I can get in and talk on the phone without anyone knowing to. So accurate. So, so accurate. I kind of saw it coming but who cares, I was laughing my ass off.

Gohanto
03-06-2010, 07:42 PM
For me this got better as it went along, and I LOVED the ending. The acting was good, and keeping the other guy busy helped a lot visually. The lighting was on the flat side, but the story still worked well.

Great job.

MSpencer
03-06-2010, 07:43 PM
i did see this coming but like richard says... who cares... the conversation was so good and funny... we all are waiting for that reveal and i was more expecting something from the bachelor party but it was still pretty good.. i knew he was chilling there for a reason... well done..

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Story: Pretty good. Loved the ending. I expected something different so well done there. The clip after the credits had me laughing my ass off. :)

Acting: The acting was good, perfect for the roles they were playing. They seemed like buddies with a real past.

Technical: Adequate for a comedy. Nothing bad, nothing fantastic. I would say quite well done overall.

Nice work.

MAH

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-06-2010, 09:46 PM
My favorite of the one's I've watched so far.

The acting was spot on, it was well written and funny, and it was well shot/directed (the phone conversation, especially when one person has to be still due to the story, can be such a trap. You pulled it off, even adding some extra comedy to the piece by keeping the other guy moving and doing visually interesting - and funny - things).

The reveal wasn't quite as "powerful" as it could've been partly because this is BetrayalFest, so we're looking for a betrayal, but around the middle when the fiancee is first mentioned by name, for some reason, it all came together for me. So, the rest of the piece was spent just waiting on the expected reveal. Minor point, though.

Good work.

ryan... i really appreciate the awesome compliment! especially coming from a WGA writer, it means a lot!! really glad you enjoyed all of the aspects of the film... it's a simple piece, but a lot of thought went into every aspect of it and it's cool to have that recognized, so again, muchos appreciation...

Epic!! the dirty socks on the pink step thing was killing me! Man you have the 7D looking amazing. funny ass film. I was dying because I can get in and talk on the phone without anyone knowing to. So accurate. So, so accurate. I kind of saw it coming but who cares, I was laughing my ass off.

richard, yo rock! glad you dug it! after seeing your comment that you were excited to watch it, i'm glad it didn't disappoint! gotta love the 7D, man... love that freaking camera... ha, nice to know that you actually have lived out this film in real life... ha... impressive, buddy! "i kind of saw it coming" <-- that's what she said...

seanmcleod
03-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Yeah man super funny film... the whatever the eff he was doing on the step... like the soaring eagle move was so funny, for so long too! And I would love to see a blooper real of this, especially at the end with the Nazi bit cause he must have burst out laughing right after you cut away!

Bigmagic
03-07-2010, 08:12 AM
I really liked this one, the acting was engaging and the dialog was spot on. Nice ending too. Well done.

ZazaCast
03-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Some of the most believable acting I've seen in the fest & a VERY funny film. Yes, I saw it coming (no pun intended) from the beginning, but who cares.
Now that I've seen it, I have to say great title!

Comedy is SO had to accomplish and you did a great job with this one.
Excellent look & feel. I think a little more camera movement on "Jimmy Sh*ts" would have helped to not give away the ending.

All in all... it works and was a very enjoyable watch!

MattinSTL
03-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Some of the most believable acting I've seen in the fest & a VERY funny film.

I think your late thread is going to hurt the total views of the film a bit, but the title should pull people in... This reminded me of a Hangover thing... not implying good or bad, just reminiscent.

I was hoping to see a tranny-type thing worked in after the "bleached a$$hole" conversation... I think you could have had a way more effective sucker-punch at the end with something like that... where the other friend set "that" up. I totally thought the 2-dicks was going to be a "couple-shot" from the bachelor party (again... that would have killed). You could have ended on a photo of that guy, drunk with that big-ass smile... and the tranny in front... with the appropriate pixelation.

Overall you have some of my highest stars so far... and I expect you to stay at the top of the list. This is a compliment to the realistic quality of your flick, BTW... because in reality I hate this kind of betrayal/story... and that kind of guy... and I honestly didn't WANT to like this flick... from the start it annoyed me and felt forced into blue... for shock-effect more then story effect (like this type of flick that's popular right now... where this kind of conversation is so common)...

BUT... there was no denying it... even if it wasn't my thing, the acting was NEARLY flawless (a couple minor bumps)... and overall the reality (repeating myself) was the best so far... this is getting close to perfect for a fest entry.

Oh yeah... good BME too... and also good theme supporting score... and best looking actress... and commercial looking actors... that acted "natural".

Very high marks from me.

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-07-2010, 01:26 PM
For me this got better as it went along, and I LOVED the ending. The acting was good, and keeping the other guy busy helped a lot visually. The lighting was on the flat side, but the story still worked well.

Great job.

thanks buddy... glad you dug the ending! agreed on the lighting... a lot of comedies tend to be on the flatter side of things, though i feel like we definitely could have unflattened it a bit more in some scenes... duly noted! appreciate the feedback...

i did see this coming but like richard says... who cares... the conversation was so good and funny... we all are waiting for that reveal and i was more expecting something from the bachelor party but it was still pretty good.. i knew he was chilling there for a reason... well done..

awesome... it's good to know that even for those of you that foresee the ending that it's still an enjoyable payoff...

Story: Pretty good. Loved the ending. I expected something different so well done there. The clip after the credits had me laughing my ass off. :)

Acting: The acting was good, perfect for the roles they were playing. They seemed like buddies with a real past.

Technical: Adequate for a comedy. Nothing bad, nothing fantastic. I would say quite well done overall.

Nice work.

MAH

glad you didn't expect the ending, michael! curious as to what you were expecting... the guys didn't know each other before the shoot, so i'm stoked they genuinely come across as real buddies!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-07-2010, 01:29 PM
glad you didn't expect the ending, michael! curious as to what you were expecting...

I thought he had taped part of the bachelor party and was watching it with the guys fiancé sitting next to him on the couch. :)

RodThompson
03-07-2010, 01:42 PM
EYE OF THE UNICORN!!!!

Fucking hilarious!

I give this more marks than the Octomom has across her stomach.

Luis_
03-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I don't even know what to say!
I started off like "I'm not going to like this" but by the time the dude was doing those funny a$$ stretches with the phone to his ear I was done!
I was laughing my a$$ off!
I didn't expect the ending, so that was good, you got me on that one too!
The lighting in the kitchen wasn't my favorite but that didn't matter because I really enjoyed it!

the after clip had me rollin!

and specially the part where my boss walked up behind me to see what I was laughing at and looked at my computer screen at the same time Rebeca came up!
Lucky thing is a Sunday or he would of had a teetie attack! lol...

Great job! Loved the movie!

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Yeah man super funny film... the whatever the eff he was doing on the step... like the soaring eagle move was so funny, for so long too! And I would love to see a blooper real of this, especially at the end with the Nazi bit cause he must have burst out laughing right after you cut away!

thanks buddy! "super funny" is much appreciated and very encouraging...

the crew just started cracking up after i called "cut" on that one Nazi shot... ha... good times...

I really liked this one, the acting was engaging and the dialog was spot on. Nice ending too. Well done.

i can't say it enough that it's effing awesome to get compliments on the dialog and acting... this film centered around that and i truly appreciate the positive review! high five to you mr. wizard man!

Some of the most believable acting I've seen in the fest & a VERY funny film. Yes, I saw it coming (no pun intended) from the beginning, but who cares.
Now that I've seen it, I have to say great title!

Comedy is SO had to accomplish and you did a great job with this one.
Excellent look & feel. I think a little more camera movement on "Jimmy Sh*ts" would have helped to not give away the ending.

All in all... it works and was a very enjoyable watch!

eff me, man... THANKS SO MUCH! (and no, that was not an actual invitation to eff me... i'm sorry)... i agree on the "more camera movement" on Jimmy... should have pushed in and out and been a little more active with him... but yeah, thanks a bunch!

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I thought he had taped part of the bachelor party and was watching it with the guys fiancé sitting next to him on the couch. :)

ah nice... yeah that actually woulda been a great thing to have him watching on the tv... really good idea...

MrSeth
03-07-2010, 03:44 PM
My critique for Two Dicks
The story:
Simple, hilarious, great characters, and an unexpected ending.

The acting:
Both were true to their character... no complaints.

The camerawork:
Very cool. Loved the colors as well

The editing:
I know cell phone conversations are sometimes very complicated for editing but you pulled it off great.

The sound and music:
Dialogue was very clear - understood everything. Music at the end was pretty cool.

Overall impression:
Hilarious.. just when you thought the betrayal theme was done with (when his friend called him "jimmy shits"), it ends with a bigger betrayal. Good job

My favorite shot:
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3111/screenshot20100307at544.png

vnguyen972
03-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I went in knowing that this is a comedy and boy did I laugh so hard... kudos for that and thanks!

The film was really well shot with great lightning and awesome framing. Audio was really good.
Though the conversation was a bit long, they were funny! Just when I thought the friend got betrayed because the guy got his game even when he asked for it, I thought to my self... that's it? then bam... the girl came up and wiped her mouth... damn hot btw... talking about king of betrayal!!! hahaha... she's the one that engaged to the guy with his underwear, right? oh boy... and the profanity... was dirty but I thought it wasn't over the top enough ... I was expecting the character talks at the level that Jay (Silent BOB side kick) would talk ...after all, the title suggest Kevin Smith to suck it.. hahahaha...
Great job man!

hoz
03-07-2010, 07:21 PM
good times, good times!!!

too funny to see this guy do wii fitness! brutal imagery, brutal indeed! f'ing nazis !! this guy is unhinged.

great job!!!

mark menditto
03-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Hilarious. The main character's potential for funny just goes on and on. The shots look great. Snappy dialog. Great. Thanks.

Matt Harris
03-07-2010, 08:26 PM
loooooooooooove this movie. im dead serious when i say it's one of the funniest things i have ever seen on dvxuser. no hyperbole. kudos.

Mike@AF
03-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Predictable, but it still works. Very funny. Great film! Nice job!

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-07-2010, 10:58 PM
I think your late thread is going to hurt the total views of the film a bit, but the title should pull people in... This reminded me of a Hangover thing... not implying good or bad, just reminiscent.

I was hoping to see a tranny-type thing worked in after the "bleached a$$hole" conversation... I think you could have had a way more effective sucker-punch at the end with something like that... where the other friend set "that" up. I totally thought the 2-dicks was going to be a "couple-shot" from the bachelor party (again... that would have killed). You could have ended on a photo of that guy, drunk with that big-ass smile... and the tranny in front... with the appropriate pixelation.

Overall you have some of my highest stars so far... and I expect you to stay at the top of the list. This is a compliment to the realistic quality of your flick, BTW... because in reality I hate this kind of betrayal/story... and that kind of guy... and I honestly didn't WANT to like this flick... from the start it annoyed me and felt forced into blue... for shock-effect more then story effect (like this type of flick that's popular right now... where this kind of conversation is so common)...

BUT... there was no denying it... even if it wasn't my thing, the acting was NEARLY flawless (a couple minor bumps)... and overall the reality (repeating myself) was the best so far... this is getting close to perfect for a fest entry.

Oh yeah... good BME too... and also good theme supporting score... and best looking actress... and commercial looking actors... that acted "natural".

Very high marks from me.

really love the fact that you "honestly didn't WANT to like this flick..." ha... awesome... thanks so much for the great critique... much appreciated... i'm sorry to disappoint you with no appearance by a tranny, but there's one i see hanging out on sunset here in hollywood all the time, matt, so if you ever visit here, i'll hook you up...

but yeah, really like your ideas and will keep them in mind if i decide to expand upon this concept...

i'll tell my actress you said hello... oh and what's BME refer to? ya lost me on that one...

dougspice
03-08-2010, 02:07 AM
I agree with a couple of the comments before mine: I didn't see myself liking this movie – I generally think Kevin Smith is a pretty low-rent filmmaker, and people who imitate him far worse – but it actually reeled me in and I totally enjoyed it. I saw the ending coming from a mile away, and I thought the whole Jimmy Shits bit went on too long for what it was (not as funny as some of your other dialogue), but overall well done!

Also, I think your tagline might be among the best of the fest.

Norm Sanders
03-08-2010, 02:09 AM
This was SO awesome! Loved the look of your poster, the title, everything to me just screamed professional comedy, and I was glad I wasn't disappointed.

Some consistently funny stuff throughout, that at ONE or TWO points I felt started to lag at times, but still gave this my highest rating yet.

Hot actress, great delivery on the guys, awesome ending ... two thumbs way up. Thanks for the laughs! Oh, and well shot also ... especially loved the beginning shot with the fridge door opening up to us with the picture, etc.

Nemesis TS
03-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Well done. Stifler (American Pie) meets Eric Murphy (Entourage) vs Kevin Corrigan looking dude, great casting. And yes the hottest chick yet, kudos for that.

I thought this could be the beginning of a full blown hollywood theatrical release. It looked and sounded top notch professional. The acting was great. It was as funny as any other comedies that come out of hollywood. I think you could develop a complete movie around these guys. However, the underwear guy has to be likable on some level and I didn't care for him at all.

Well done. I will say for the first minute or two as he went on and on about the stripper I thought for sure she was going to be a tranny. Come walking out of the bedroom scratching her balls or something, maybe have a five o'clock shadow. The only other critic is the COD reference I think the game should have been sitting on the counter and he look at it or a camera shot of it. Just because I'm not sure everyone will realize that he pulls it out of the cabinet to play later. Oh and whats up with COD3 it should have been Modern Warfare 2. Yes I am a nerd.

killacam
03-08-2010, 09:19 AM
very funny. one too many crotch and ass shots (ha) but very funny overall. nicely shot too.

Tim Joy
03-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Opening shot- oh you didn't...

"you're an even gooder friend." fav line.

two favorite parts- The soaring eagle bit, and the ending tag. 'f'ing nazis!" Ha too funny.

I think the fiancee should've been wiping drool from her mouth with messed up lipstick.
Otherwise, there were some cliches and lot's of similarities to Kevin Smith's work, which I've always hated until Cop Out, but it was well done and funny anyway.

The image was little flat, but it didn't detract. The compression might look better if it was a smaller size frame.

Congrats!

stinkpot
03-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Hahhahaha... some funny dialog! The cast was spot on. Loved it!

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-08-2010, 03:17 PM
it's hard to keep up with replying to reviews, but thanks so much for the great comments and awesome feedback... i am contemplating expanding upon this scene and/or characters for a feature, so constructive criticism is effing fantastic... high five to everyone... drinks for everyone... i'm buying!

ChrisHurn
03-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Hah. Nice stuff. Was wondering why the guy was just laying back there for the whole conversation, with casual cuts to behind his head...haha. I enjoyed the film, some nice dialogue between the two guys. Not usually a fan of this type of stuff (Although I do like Kevin Smith and films like that in moderation) – but I did enjoy this, and it was safely within that zone, you know – kind of just before it gets a little too much, you never took it too far which was a good sign.

Your actors were convincing, and that was good. Nothing drew attention to itself – you had your technical elements in place so that our focus was on the characters and the story, and nothing really got in the way. Nice clean sound.

Simple but effective look to the film in terms of lighting/grading, worked well.

Memorable Moment
for me it was the guy doing the stretching as he was on the phone, kind of funny because the other guy was just sitting down (for good reason, of course). Some good blocking, he was stopping and moving around at what seemed all the right places for the dialogue.

Nice work, Congratulations on your entry. I look forward to seeing more stuff from you.

Tunnelmen
03-08-2010, 07:50 PM
I echo again...I didn't think that I would like it in the first minute or so but found myself laughing at his dirty socks and underwear up his crack......were those P90X moves? Pretty funny dude. I agree with someone saying it looked a little flat. I love it when a D bag in a movie waxes intellectual about something you wouldn't expect...like the career of Jimmy Smitts. Good Job Man!

Chris Messineo
03-09-2010, 05:30 AM
I totally enjoyed this. The actors had a great chemistry. It's cool that they never actually met, but then that's what great acting is.

My favorite moment was those awesome stretches he did. Also, it's not easy to keep a phone conversation so visually appealing and you did a fantastic job of that.

I wish there was a way for Kevin Smith to see this; I bet he would love it.

Very well done.

namelok
03-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Great movie guys, loved the dialogue, loved the "yoga" position, great ending!
High on my list :)

mentatDUKE
03-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Epic. Pure genius. That is all.

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-09-2010, 11:28 PM
EYE OF THE UNICORN!!!!

poo pooing hilarious!

I give this more marks than the Octomom has across her stomach.

ha... thanks buddy!

I don't even know what to say!
I started off like "I'm not going to like this" but by the time the dude was doing those funny a$$ stretches with the phone to his ear I was done!
I was laughing my a$$ off!
I didn't expect the ending, so that was good, you got me on that one too!
The lighting in the kitchen wasn't my favorite but that didn't matter because I really enjoyed it!

the after clip had me rollin!

and specially the part where my boss walked up behind me to see what I was laughing at and looked at my computer screen at the same time Rebeca came up!
Lucky thing is a Sunday or he would of had a teetie attack! lol...

Great job! Loved the movie!

knowing you laughed your ass off is awesome... this movie is about delivering a engagingly funny story, so mission poo pooing accomplished... yeah, the lighting in the kitchen definitely wasn't my favorite, either... haha, that's awesome your boss walked in on you! did you have him watch the movie???

My critique for Two Dicks
The story:
Simple, hilarious, great characters, and an unexpected ending.

The acting:
Both were true to their character... no complaints.

The camerawork:
Very cool. Loved the colors as well

The editing:
I know cell phone conversations are sometimes very complicated for editing but you pulled it off great.

The sound and music:
Dialogue was very clear - understood everything. Music at the end was pretty cool.

Overall impression:
Hilarious.. just when you thought the betrayal theme was done with (when his friend called him "jimmy shi*s"), it ends with a bigger betrayal. Good job

thanks buddy! glad it made ya laugh! especially appreciate the compliment on editing the phone conversation... i love editing and i love a challenge and i'm stoked i was able to make it work... thanks a bunch for watching and digging it!

Blaine
03-09-2010, 11:41 PM
I went into this expecting to hate it the same way I expected to hate Superbad. I didn't...to both. Just from the title alone this was going to be crap...it wasn't. You did a good job with this, so did your actors. Thanks for surprising me.

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-09-2010, 11:43 PM
I went in knowing that this is a comedy and boy did I laugh so hard... kudos for that and thanks!

The film was really well shot with great lightning and awesome framing. Audio was really good.
Though the conversation was a bit long, they were funny! Just when I thought the friend got betrayed because the guy got his game even when he asked for it, I thought to my self... that's it? then bam... the girl came up and wiped her mouth... damn hot btw... talking about king of betrayal!!! hahaha... she's the one that engaged to the guy with his underwear, right? oh boy... and the profanity... was dirty but I thought it wasn't over the top enough ... I was expecting the character talks at the level that Jay (Silent BOB side kick) would talk ...after all, the title suggest Kevin Smith to suck it.. hahahaha...
Great job man!

ha... not dirty enough for ya, huh? well i wasn't out to copy his style, just write what's natural to me... nonetheless, glad it made ya "laugh so hard"! that's awesome!!! glad the video game betrayal threw ya off a bit, too... it's refreshing to see that it's only predictable to some and unexpected to others, so yay for you! muy bueno... thanks for watching!

good times, good times!!!

too funny to see this guy do wii fitness! brutal imagery, brutal indeed! f'ing nazis !! this guy is unhinged.

great job!!!

thanks buddy! glad ya enjoyed it!

Hilarious. The main character's potential for funny just goes on and on. The shots look great. Snappy dialog. Great. Thanks.

erik did a fantastic job in his role... glad ya dug him and the film! thanks a bunch for watching and the review!

loooooooooooove this movie. im dead serious when i say it's one of the funniest things i have ever seen on dvxuser. no hyperbole. kudos.

HECK YEAH! THANKS DUDE!! IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M NAMING MY FIRST CHILD DEFCON.

Predictable, but it still works. Very funny. Great film! Nice job!

thanks buddy! i'm okay with predictable if it's accompanied by "very funny" so thanks a bunch...

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-10-2010, 12:14 AM
I agree with a couple of the comments before mine: I didn't see myself liking this movie – I generally think Kevin Smith is a pretty low-rent filmmaker, and people who imitate him far worse – but it actually reeled me in and I totally enjoyed it. I saw the ending coming from a mile away, and I thought the whole Jimmy shi*s bit went on too long for what it was (not as funny as some of your other dialogue), but overall well done!

Also, I think your tagline might be among the best of the fest.

love reading a positive review from someone planning on disliking the movie... good stuff... agree with you that the jimmy shits part could be tightened up... "i saw the ending coming from a mile away" <--- that's what she said (that's my second time doing that joke and i'm okay with that)... glad ya dig the tagline!!

This was SO awesome! Loved the look of your poster, the title, everything to me just screamed professional comedy, and I was glad I wasn't disappointed.

Some consistently funny stuff throughout, that at ONE or TWO points I felt started to lag at times, but still gave this my highest rating yet.

Hot actress, great delivery on the guys, awesome ending ... two thumbs way up. Thanks for the laughs! Oh, and well shot also ... especially loved the beginning shot with the fridge door opening up to us with the picture, etc.

Well Norm, what can I say other than you are clearly the smartest man alive!

But yeah, honestly, buddy... thanks so so much for the awesome review!

Well done. Stifler (American Pie) meets Eric Murphy (Entourage) vs Kevin Corrigan looking dude, great casting. And yes the hottest chick yet, kudos for that.

I thought this could be the beginning of a full blown hollywood theatrical release. It looked and sounded top notch professional. The acting was great. It was as funny as any other comedies that come out of hollywood. I think you could develop a complete movie around these guys. However, the underwear guy has to be likable on some level and I didn't care for him at all.

Well done. I will say for the first minute or two as he went on and on about the stripper I thought for sure she was going to be a tranny. Come walking out of the bedroom scratching her balls or something, maybe have a five o'clock shadow. The only other critic is the COD reference I think the game should have been sitting on the counter and he look at it or a camera shot of it. Just because I'm not sure everyone will realize that he pulls it out of the cabinet to play later. Oh and whats up with COD3 it should have been Modern Warfare 2. Yes I am a nerd.

Crap man... you are also the smartest man alive (sorry Norm)! Seriously dude... thanks so much... really means a lot. I'm contemplating a feature length with these characters or a variation of them, so it's very encouraging. The tranny idea is definitely something I'll consider. Ha, I love that you're upset over the use of COD3. Ha... Well saying something like "Fucking Nazis" seemed more legit than talking shit on a different race, so COD3 was a good one to go with. Yeah, it's more subtle by him pulling out the game at the end rather than showing it early on, but I just tend not to spoon-feed stuff, but I totally hear ya on that one... but yeah, again, huge thanks for the killer compliments...

very funny. one too many crotch and ass shots (ha) but very funny overall. nicely shot too.

awesome... glad ya dug it!!

Opening shot- oh you didn't...

"you're an even gooder friend." fav line.

two favorite parts- The soaring eagle bit, and the ending tag. 'f'ing nazis!" Ha too funny.

I think the fiancee should've been wiping drool from her mouth with messed up lipstick.
Otherwise, there were some cliches and lot's of similarities to Kevin Smith's work, which I've always hated until Cop Out, but it was well done and funny anyway.

The image was little flat, but it didn't detract. The compression might look better if it was a smaller size frame.

Congrats!

thanks tim! drool coulda been questionable, ha, though some smeared lipstick woulda worked for sure... glad ya dug the movie! i dug yours too, recently threw up my review on your thread.... thanks for watching and finding it funny!

Hahhahaha... some funny dialog! The cast was spot on. Loved it!

right on... thanks buddy!

Waycrow
03-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Good job. Enjoyable. Betrayal as a way of life. Hit the nail on the head. The camera angles were quite good.
Witty, and fast. Nice!

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Hah. Nice stuff. Was wondering why the guy was just laying back there for the whole conversation, with casual cuts to behind his head...haha. I enjoyed the film, some nice dialogue between the two guys. Not usually a fan of this type of stuff (Although I do like Kevin Smith and films like that in moderation) – but I did enjoy this, and it was safely within that zone, you know – kind of just before it gets a little too much, you never took it too far which was a good sign.

Your actors were convincing, and that was good. Nothing drew attention to itself – you had your technical elements in place so that our focus was on the characters and the story, and nothing really got in the way. Nice clean sound.

Simple but effective look to the film in terms of lighting/grading, worked well.

Memorable Moment
for me it was the guy doing the stretching as he was on the phone, kind of funny because the other guy was just sitting down (for good reason, of course). Some good blocking, he was stopping and moving around at what seemed all the right places for the dialogue.

Nice work, Congratulations on your entry. I look forward to seeing more stuff from you.

Thanks Chris! I'm glad you didn't predict the ending... Thanks for digging the film! I'm definitely gonna enter other fests this year and if ya wanna see some other stuff from me, check out my site www.marrsentertainment.com (http://www.marrsentertainment.com)

I echo again...I didn't think that I would like it in the first minute or so but found myself laughing at his dirty socks and underwear up his crack......were those P90X moves? Pretty funny dude. I agree with someone saying it looked a little flat. I love it when a D bag in a movie waxes intellectual about something you wouldn't expect...like the career of Jimmy Smitts. Good Job Man!

nice! glad your original expectations got flipped and you ended up liking it! yes, the flatness is there in the lighting... it's a little more than i wanted, but honestly o

I totally enjoyed this. The actors had a great chemistry. It's cool that they never actually met, but then that's what great acting is.

My favorite moment was those awesome stretches he did. Also, it's not easy to keep a phone conversation so visually appealing and you did a fantastic job of that.

I wish there was a way for Kevin Smith to see this; I bet he would love it.

Very well done.

Thanks Chris! The actors met for 2 rehearsals but they weren't actual friends before that... i'm very stoked to hear that a short film that is entirely a phone conversation still did its job at being funny and telling an entertaining story, so thanks a bunch for that recognition for sure! Tell me about it, I would love for Kevin to see this... that would be pretty damn cool. Thanks again, buddy!

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Great movie guys, loved the dialogue, loved the "yoga" position, great ending!
High on my list :)

heck yeah... thanks buddy!!!

Epic. Pure genius. That is all.

Can't say thanks enough... really appreciate it!

I went into this expecting to hate it the same way I expected to hate Superbad. I didn't...to both. Just from the title alone this was going to be crap...it wasn't. You did a good job with this, so did your actors. Thanks for surprising me.

love this... so glad i was able to not meet your expectations!

Good job. Enjoyable. Betrayal as a way of life. Hit the nail on the head. The camera angles were quite good.
Witty, and fast. Nice!

"betrayal as a way of life" <--- exactly! thanks for digging it, buddy!!!

Tom Shortridge
03-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Definitely a testament to all involved that a phone conversation can be an entertaining film.

Mad props to your three actors - all pretty much pitch-perfect in their parts.

I'm a fan of Kevin Smith, but even so, this got a bit excessively raunchy at points, almost raunchy for the sake of being raunchy and not particularly furthering the plot, but the charm of the actors helped pull me past that.

Other people have mentioned flat lighting as a negative - I don't really see it as such. I can see everything that's happening, so I'm happy watching it.

Nice work.

Ben Sliker
03-11-2010, 08:30 PM
i know these two guys. not these actual two guys, but i know them. i know the characters. college is such a dumb place sometimes. lol. gotta love it.

hands down funniest part for me was the step aerobics, great music too. made me look up the band's myspace page and listen for a while.

Last but not least Chris, I fear a man who goes 'yes, that's a crotch shot, and yes, that's an ass shot. deal with it.' Touche ... Touche.

jasonthewho
03-12-2010, 07:13 AM
I've been watching the films in order, but I skipped ahead to watch yours because my wife wanted to watch it. So your title definitely works!

This is a really funny flick! Nicely shot too.

Very much in the style of Kevin Smith, as your title suggests. Sometimes it tries a little too hard, just like Kevin Smith.

Your actors were good, especially Jimmy. Matt sometimes was pushing too hard, but he definitely had his moments.

Excellent comic editing on the step exercise section. Works perfectly.

I saw the ending coming, but didn't expect the exact specifics. Great way to finish off the film! (groaning at self)

Tim Joy
03-12-2010, 07:22 AM
I like how both of our entries feature a character named Jimmy. Next time I'll name my character Blumbyfoo so nobody will happen upon the same name. <<--- I got that one reserved, ok everyone?

Richard J. Johnson
03-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Blumpyfoo?! Hilarious.

Tim Joy
03-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Blumbyfoo and Sniktybuns. Ok, don't steal those.

pauldavidanthony
03-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Good dialogue. The writing was good and the actors did a good job delivering the lines.
The only negative was that some of the scenes looked a little white/bland but obviously this is more of a dialogue based piece.
Nice job.

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Blumbyfoo and Sniktybuns. Ok, don't steal those.

shi*, man... Blumbyfoo is actualy my grandpa's name and I'm doing a documentary on him and his life as a midget-wrangler... sorry, buddy... but you can still use sniktybuns...

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-12-2010, 12:53 PM
i know these two guys. not these actual two guys, but i know them. i know the characters. college is such a dumb place sometimes. lol. gotta love it.

hands down funniest part for me was the step aerobics, great music too. made me look up the band's myspace page and listen for a while.

Last but not least Chris, I fear a man who goes 'yes, that's a crotch shot, and yes, that's an ass shot. deal with it.' Touche ... Touche.

thanks ben! definitely was going for a realistic natural portrayal of two dudes so i'm glad it came across... that's rad that you looked up Diana Gone Wrong! Diana has some really great songs... my favorites aren't even on their myspace...
"Last but not least Chris, I fear a man who goes 'yes, that's a crotch shot, and yes, that's an ass shot. deal with it.' Touche ... Touche." haha... awesome.

Definitely a testament to all involved that a phone conversation can be an entertaining film.

Mad props to your three actors - all pretty much pitch-perfect in their parts.

I'm a fan of Kevin Smith, but even so, this got a bit excessively raunchy at points, almost raunchy for the sake of being raunchy and not particularly furthering the plot, but the charm of the actors helped pull me past that.

Other people have mentioned flat lighting as a negative - I don't really see it as such. I can see everything that's happening, so I'm happy watching it.

Nice work.

hey buddy! thanks for review and for digging the film! it's interesting how some people comment it's not raunchy enough and others feel it's too much... ha... dammit people! why can't everyone just freaking agree! but yeah... different strokes for different folks... i've had far raunchier conversations, so i thought this one was a nice balance, but it's all good...

in regards to the lighting, i definitely don't think we did a bad job with the lighting at all... but it is flatter than some "cinematic" pieces, but i wouldn't say it's flatter than a lot of comedies, so i'm glad you had no issues with it. granted i would have liked to have had more light for Matt's house, but overall i'm totally a-ok with the lighting as our intentions were to have it look relatively the way it ended up looking... so yeah... thanks buddy!

I've been watching the films in order, but I skipped ahead to watch yours because my wife wanted to watch it. So your title definitely works!

This is a really funny flick! Nicely shot too.

Very much in the style of Kevin Smith, as your title suggests. Sometimes it tries a little too hard, just like Kevin Smith.

Your actors were good, especially Jimmy. Matt sometimes was pushing too hard, but he definitely had his moments.

Excellent comic editing on the step exercise section. Works perfectly.

I saw the ending coming, but didn't expect the exact specifics. Great way to finish off the film! (groaning at self)

hey jason... thanks for the great review! while i don't think that there's parts that are "trying too hard" per say, i definitely would have loved to have given the script a few more drafts before shooting it to fine-tune things for sure... i'll be sure to get writing on my next script with sufficient time to re-write and finalize the script to perfection with ample time for the festival entry... thanks for the compliments on the editing! i've come to love and appreciate editing over the years and take a lot of pride in it, so yeah... thanks! and that's rad that you and your wife skipped ahead on the list to check it out! very rad... hope she dug it, too!

Good dialogue. The writing was good and the actors did a good job delivering the lines.
The only negative was that some of the scenes looked a little white/bland but obviously this is more of a dialogue based piece.
Nice job.

hey paul... thanks for checking out the film and for the comments! really glad you dug the dialogue!! yup, it's definitely a dialogue based piece, but nonetheless, for my next film i'm gonna put more time into location scouting and set design in hopes of not having any blank white walls... while it's totally legit and realistic for these guys not to have much, it still woulda been visually more pleasing to spruce up the decor... thanks for feedback and compliments!

Scott F
03-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Man, I'm glad I'm not as observant as most of the viewers here, cuz I totally didn't see the ending coming. (stealing from Zaza-no pun intended)

I getting so engrossed in some of these films that I forget it's "Betrayalfest" which is a good thing, helps me enjoy them for face value rather than looking for something.

Good use of the 7D...this short has me stoked to use my 550D on something fun in the future. Two Dicks was hilarious....good show, good effort.

OFF TOPIC:
pauldavidanthony, good to see you on the boards...maybe you can get a real post count going here since you can't produce any real #'s on your own site. :evil::evil:

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Man, I'm glad I'm not as observant as most of the viewers here, cuz I totally didn't see the ending coming. (stealing from Zaza-no pun intended)

I getting so engrossed in some of these films that I forget it's "Betrayalfest" which is a good thing, helps me enjoy them for face value rather than looking for something.

Good use of the 7D...this short has me stoked to use my 550D on something fun in the future. Two Dicks was hilarious....good show, good effort.

OFF TOPIC:
pauldavidanthony, good to see you on the boards...maybe you can get a real post count going here since you can't produce any real #'s on your own site. :evil::evil:

Right on... thanks buddy! Yeah in regards to predicting the ending, it's "betrayalfest" and that's going to happen at a higher rate because lots of people will just naturally be inclined to look for it, so I'm glad you just went into it with no expectations and got sucked into the story and just let in unfold... good good stuff. Thanks for watching and for finding it "hilarious"!!!

Scott F
03-13-2010, 12:40 PM
^ My wife liked it too, she's watching a few of these with me.

Jaime V
03-13-2010, 04:08 PM
haha funny movie man, made me laugh and kept me entertained :) Good job!

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-13-2010, 05:56 PM
^ My wife liked it too, she's watching a few of these with me.

nice!

haha funny movie man, made me laugh and kept me entertained :) Good job!

kickass... thanks jaime!

lyonfilms
03-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Good stuff. The guys were spot-on, perfect douche bags. Made me laugh. The girl was believable at the end as well, in her, um, action that is.

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Good stuff. The guys were spot-on, perfect douche bags. Made me laugh. The girl was believable at the end as well, in her, um, action that is.

Thanks buddy! I'm really happy with all of my actor's performances. Dave's laidback-ness is solid, Erik's performance as "Matt" really stands out and while her role is very small, Lindsey's delivery is spot on. Glad you appreciated that aspect and that the film had you laughing!

jambredz
03-22-2010, 12:31 PM
i Def saw the end coming. but good releveal non the less. enjoyed the convo and the relationship they had. Nice work.