PDA

View Full Version : Drunkard documentary w/ DVX

12-20-2003, 02:19 PM
Modern Drunkard magazine is a humor rag based out of Denver, somewhat like the Onion, but focused on the joys of alcohol consumption.

I've been picked to do a documentary about the Drunkard convention in Vegas, May 14th-16th, and we're going to use the DVX100 to shoot it, of course.

Yeah baby, see you there! 8)

Also, be on the lookout for 'Modern Drunkard, the Movie', coming soon. (It was shot with an XL1, but this was before the Panny came out. Still going to be great stuff!)

Barry_Green
12-21-2003, 12:27 AM
There's a drunkard convention coming to Vegas? Yikes!

I saw an issue of that magazine once. While I am a teetotaler, I thought it was incredibly witty. They had one article on how to get sauced at work, and one of their recommendations was to inject vodka into a grapefruit, so you could get liquored up at lunchtime and nobody would suspect. And if they did suspect, you could always sniff the fruit and say "oh man, I think this has gone bad" and toss it...

12-21-2003, 06:20 PM
it's interesting you posted this because i am going to be doing a parrothead convention in late february (parrothead=jimmy buffett fans)

any tips on doing a convention? it is 90% entertainment and 10% more entertainment

it will be a at a hotel.

i will be using a dvx-100a (which i obviously haven't gotten yet!)

i'm trying to cover the whole flavor of the event, NOT just the music, but the people and the atmosphere.

doing it solo most likely, using the dvx-100a and a really good mic on the camera and a good wireless setup.

matthew

12-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Things I think about with run-n-gun event s like these:

Get as many establishing shots before or after the people you REALLY want to document have arrived, that way you can focus on the people. Establishings are always the ones which you blur into and out of that show the uniqueness of the venue.

Set up an interview corner in your room that doesn't necessarily look like your hotel room. Portable green screen, a couple lights, etc., and leave it up so you can get that pro interview with willing subjects at a moments notice. Keep your room clean so people don't get an 'ewwwww!' reaction.

Be prepared to bartend a bit before the interview. Expense it.

Interviews are a great 'second camera' job if you've got a helper.

Interviewees must either be entertaining, informative, or eye candy. If they don't have at least one of these attributes, don't bother.

Scope the likely places out before you shoot. Take some test shots to maximize your ability to wring the best shot out of the camera, beforehand. Save these settings in your programmable DVX100, or be prepared to set them quickly once you are on the scene. An extra thirty seconds optimizing your camera makes for great beauty shots.

Get to know the event organizers and help before the event starts, so they know what you're doing and won't think twice about it. Flattery and booze work wonders.

Dress like a pro, and you'll be treated like one.

Have business cards handy. Lots.

Be creative; can you get a B-roll shot of your subject from the balcony?

Have a list of shots you'd like to get... get them, then the rest are gravy.

Tip generously and the help will get you into places you'd not normally ever have access to.

Take and charge more batteries than you need; bring more tapes, paper, and pens than you expect to use.

Finally: its all about telling a story, even if its a highly structured format like a documentary. Plan beforehand what you'd like to say, then capture the moments which help you say it, and the editing will be a breeze because you don't have to go FIND a story in all your footage.

That's the stuff that's on my mind when I go do a shoot like these.

12-23-2003, 11:00 AM
thanks for the tips!

i am totally in with the people putting it on so access shouldn't be a problem.

going into it i don't have any specific person in mind to focus on, i wanted to just take it all in and see what comes up

i should have plenty of access before the event for testing and lots of access to the setup time and pretty much anything else i want to tape.

what about camera settings? i don't even have my dvx yet, my dvx-100a is on a fedex truck and i'll have it tomorrow am!!

i have plent of time, the show isn't until the last weekend in february.

should i do 24p or 60i? that is the biggest question for me with the dvx-100a, when to use the 24p and when to go 60i

matthew

jaronheard
12-24-2003, 01:16 AM
i'd go with the 24p because when I first drank a lot of alcoholoic beverages after geting my dvx I thought I was seeing in 24p! ;)
But in all seriousness you will have to do your own tests as it is a matter of personal preferance. And don't forget 30p!

12-24-2003, 04:10 AM
how would 30p come out on a vhs dub?

matthew

12-25-2003, 09:30 AM
At this point, we're planning on using 30P for the Drunkard project, for several reasons:

1) We don't anticipate ever going to film
2) The most likely broadcast scenarios are NTSC television and DVD distribution
3) We will have a secondary camera, but it is a Panasonic EZ/1, which is no longer made. This camera does 60i only, but creates a fantastic image, and can blend well with the DVX100

Jay_Blanchard
01-01-2004, 09:36 AM
You're working on my dream project :)

Their website is hillarious & it should be an interesting shoot to say the least. I agree the 30p should be the way to go, but for the staggering drunk finale, I'd go with 24p and utilize the 100A's slow shutter mode.

Ah, sweet drunken video bliss....if I lived in the area I would have brought my camera and shot with you for free!

speedbump
01-01-2004, 12:50 PM
The idea of shooting the more lucid moments in 30P and the under-the-influence shots in 24P has merit; it would be a clever and subtle cue to the audience, who are probably going to be drinking, too.

I'm really wondering how difficult this project is going to be. It won't be a problem following the gang around and getting footage on the strip, but what about when they go inside? Imagine being a bar owner in Vegas and this rolling circus flops in, with a camera, boom mic, a harried director, and a bunch of rat pack types who are intent on getting plowed, loudly. Hmmm. More things to bring up at the next production meeting. :(

Jay_Blanchard
01-09-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm really wondering how difficult this project is going to be. It won't be a problem following the gang around and getting footage on the strip, but what about when they go inside? Imagine being a bar owner in Vegas and this rolling circus flops in, with a camera, boom mic, a harried director, and a bunch of rat pack types who are intent on getting plowed, loudly. Hmmm. More things to bring up at the next production meeting.

Bah, that's just a standard night in Vegas. Better than dealing with a sports journalist & a fat samoan lawyer on ether and mescaline trying to buy a chimpanzee :)

MarcoPolo
01-09-2004, 05:33 PM
I loved reading Modern Drunkard when I lived in Denver. It was nice to have a zine' that was fun and lighthearted. Denver has the highest per capita dive bars of any city outside of Queens, NY. I treasured them when I was there and miss them now that I am not: Club 404 , Marlowe's, Skylark(newly scrubbed, but still), Lions Lair and every other place between it and Larimer Square and too many more. PS: What ever happened to Nixing the Twist, did it ever get finished into feature length?

Marc B.

speedbump
01-10-2004, 01:43 PM
The dive bars you've mentioned are my regular haunts. And I'm shooting a music video shortly at the Cricket, probably the dive-est of the dive bars here.

Nixing The Twist did indeed get finished, and is in my hands on VHS. Great movie, shot in black and white 16mm. Mr. Rich (writer/director) is shopping it around, but he's got his hands full with other projects, including finishing up Modern Drunkard the Movie, which yours truly asst directed. That one was shot with an XL1, before the Panny came out. His next movie is rumored to be a gangster theme, we'll have to see.

01-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Daryl,

I meant Gabor's, of course, not sure why I always called it Marlowes. The real dives are the ones on Colfax, near the Capitol, and I never can see those or the scummy ones on 15 th Street, near the pawn shops getting hipsterized, but if the Squire can go yuppie, anything is possible. Glad to hear Nixing The Twist got completed. I saw a few reels of it being shown at the Bluebird for at some show and it looked neato.

Good luck,
Marc B.