PDA

View Full Version : Doing documentary work in Africa this summer...

DavidJohnson
01-31-2004, 07:25 AM
Hi everyone. While I was a photojournalist in a previous life, I am new to video documentary work. Looks like my first opportunity to do a significant project will be this summer, as I join a group of high school students and adult sponsors on a AIDS education/abstinence effort in Zimbabwe.

I am looking for resources of all kinds that will help me prepare for this trip. I want to prepare myself in a high-level conceptual manner, so that my work has a thematic consistency. But I also want to prepare for all technical the contingencies of international travel.

Can anyone point me to individuals or organizations for help?

Thanks,
David

Steve Ogden
02-01-2004, 07:44 AM
Hi David,

Sometime in the last month or so, someone posted a link to a website where someone had taken his DVX100 on a round-the-world trip, and talked about his experiences with the camera. Don't recall if it was here on DVXuser.com or over on 2pop. Would be worth searching for.

Nicola
02-01-2004, 08:53 AM
I'm a traveller and i'm always shooting around these are my suggestions:

- A lot of batteries (Jarred has a good deal)
- a light Tripod (manfrotto with a 501/503 head)
- Polarizer
- a nice piece of glass in front of your lens
- a strong bag (lowepro for dv is fine, pelican case is the best)
- Tape as much as yuo can
- A lav mic for interview ( sennaizer is fine)
- Rope
- Black Foil
- Rachet strap
- a maffer clamp
- CTO, CTB, Diffusion, just in case
- A small light
- I found very usefull the Manfrotto magicharm with the camera mount
- small and medium size springclamp
- a french flag

If you have space and the opportunity bring with you a monitor.

This is my package and it fit everything in 3 bags.
Hope is gonna help you to understand what you need.
I have a coming project in Cameroon, It's a documentary about illegal logging.....

n.

bodaphoto
02-01-2004, 01:28 PM
What's the French Flag for?

Steve Ogden
02-01-2004, 02:23 PM
So people don't think you're an American.

Vital_Visuals_Inc
02-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Don't forget to find out if a carnet will help you. If you (or others) don't know, a carnet is a piece of paper you present at the border to make sure you don't pay customs fees when you take your stuff out of the country you're visiting. Without it, customs agents can make you pay taxes as if you bought your gear in that country. Visit www.atacarnet.com.

How are you doing on insurance? I've got to travel to Germany soon and need insurance to cover about $15k worth of gear. Let me know what you find out if you go for it.

+Steve

justinsullivan
02-02-2004, 04:15 PM
www.vagabonding.com

chaeck this out. This is what sfogden was refering to. If anyone has any questions about the durabillity of the dvx send them here.

jsullie

Steve Ogden
02-02-2004, 04:31 PM
jsulle,

That's the site. The equipment discussion is http://www.vagabonding.com/about/000096.html

Steve

DavidJohnson
02-03-2004, 06:02 AM
Thanks to everyone for the great information! I'll chase down all the leads/advice you've provided.

BTW, I hope to see the Journalism/Documentary dept. here grow and will try to be a regular contributor...

~~ David