PDA

View Full Version : Overheating 550D / 7D

ROCKMORE
03-02-2010, 06:57 AM
There are a few complaints about overheating already on the 550D. If you run an external monitor or view on a laptop, and shut down the camera viewer does this cut down on the heat the camera generates? Has anyone tested this out?

Here is a report from a 550D user on another forum///

Quote:
My only issue: sensor overheating. In preliminary tests, I'm getting two 12-minute back-to-back clips in HD - and then the dreaded red thermometer. In most situations this isn't a problem, but I regularly shoot interviews of 35-40 minutes. I don't mind a brief interruption (eg, to turn the camera off and on again), but I can't afford a 10-minute cool-down pause. :Quote

Sound normal, overheating after 25 minutes continuous shooting?

Osslund
03-03-2010, 01:30 AM
I've had my 7D on set for 10 hours and no overheating yet. I have a four minute power off setting but the camera is on most of the time except for shorter breaks.

ROCKMORE
03-03-2010, 03:12 AM
I've had my 7D on set for 10 hours and no overheating yet. I have a four minute power off setting but the camera is on most of the time except for shorter breaks.

Good news, sounds like you just have to use common sense. Thanks

youngindiefilms
03-03-2010, 04:00 AM
I used the 7D for interviews a few weeks ago... it would shut down every 10 minutes or so which was quite annoying for all people involved. For future interviews I wouldn't use such a camera again, makes you look real bad!

tears2040
03-03-2010, 04:39 AM
I used the 7D for interviews a few weeks ago... it would shut down every 10 minutes or so which was quite annoying for all people involved. For future interviews I wouldn't use such a camera again, makes you look real bad!

You definitely must have a bad camera as I have already shot for hours straight on my T2i and the only thing that happened was my battery died, but the camera never once over heated. Now I am not saying that it is not possible, but something with your camera or conditions must be wrong.

peace

Ian-T
03-03-2010, 05:43 AM
Over two months now....never seen thermometer.

bimdas
03-03-2010, 06:07 AM
i must have a bad camera too. I get the heating signal only after about 5 minutes or so of having the screen running. I don't even have it recording sometimes and it comes on. Although every time it has happened has been a hot day plus I've had the lcdvf on which makes it even hotter. It's definitely got something to do with the lcd screen on the camera that is making it overheat. I've got an ikan v5600 but its too cumbersome to attach to my 7d but for interviews on a tripod, thats the way I'd be going.

Chris Watson
03-03-2010, 06:21 AM
I've heard of overheating with the 7D in 720 60P mode but not 1080 24 or 30. Is this across all resolutions and framerates or just 720?

Chris W

wildfly
03-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Just got done with a two camera 7D shoot that was outdoors in very sunny conditions. Things I noticed: Turning the camera to the off position even for a minute or two between takes helps out. It also seems that running the LCD makes the temp hotter than running an external monitor. Direct sunlight on the back of the camera seems to be the main factor in creating the condition.

ROCKMORE
03-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Just got done with a two camera 7D shoot that was outdoors in very sunny conditions. Things I noticed: Turning the camera to the off position even for a minute or two between takes helps out. It also seems that running the LCD makes the temp hotter than running an external monitor. Direct sunlight on the back of the camera seems to be the main factor in creating the condition.

That's good info. Thanks

chris f
03-10-2010, 01:46 PM
I've heard of overheating with the 7D in 720 60P mode but not 1080 24 or 30. Is this across all resolutions and framerates or just 720?

I've only gotten the overheat warning twice, both times when filming in direct sunlight. One was after back to back 5 minute takes at 60p and one after being in the sun for about 30 minutes doing an interview at 1080 24p.

Since the camera body is black, I think if you can avoid direct sunlight you should be good. Besides those 2 instances I've used the cameras for 45min interviews on several occasions with no problems.

ROCKMORE
03-14-2010, 04:27 PM
After a few days with the 550D I can see the camera builds up heat quickly. I think just trying to reduce the time the camera is on is the best solution. The 30sec power standby when the camera is not being used will probably solve the problem a lot of the time without thinking about it.

As for production with this little miracle, I think they will ALL eventually overheat if pushed too hard. Even in the instruction manual Canon uses phrases like "Let the camera rest a while", that type of wording should tell you something.

Just take it easy on the camera, or get a 2nd body. Two 550Ds are still cheaper than one of anything else out there that doesn't overheat. (Maybe 5 or 10 of them for the same price)

Justyn
03-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Its certainly a problem on the 7D when you shoot rapid interviews or segments and that's a lot of what I do. This camera doesn't seem to be a stable workshorse all day shooter, but I'm holding out for the 550 performing..

ROCKMORE
03-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Its certainly a problem on the 7D when you shoot rapid interviews or segments and that's a lot of what I do. This camera doesn't seem to be a stable workshorse all day shooter, but I'm holding out for the 550 performing..

The 550D may overheat easier than the 7d because the plastic will insulate more. The screen is also a little bigger than the 7D in I'm not wrong. In the right situation if you can let the camera power down it should be fine. Having said that I will continue to shoot with no less that an EX3 if the client is paying for it.
I do love this 550D though, perfect daily carry around cam. it's a little mind blower for 800 bucks.

Barry_Green
03-14-2010, 08:54 PM
A lot to ask, but has anyone tested a 550d and a 7d together, in a simultaneous heat-off? I was hoping the 550d would show less overheating because the 7D is more weather-sealed and has the second digic processor in there.

N.E.S.
03-14-2010, 09:06 PM
You definitely must have a bad camera as I have already shot for hours straight on my T2i and the only thing that happened was my battery died, but the camera never once over heated. Now I am not saying that it is not possible, but something with your camera or conditions must be wrong.

peace

Had an indoor shoot and my camera over heated. Shut it down for what seemed like 5 minutes and shot for about another hour or two with no problems. I love my T2i but this can be a serious problem :embarasse

ROCKMORE
03-14-2010, 09:07 PM
A lot to ask, but has anyone tested a 550d and a 7d together, in a simultaneous heat-off? I was hoping the 550d would show less overheating because the 7D is more weather-sealed and has the second digic processor in there.

We can call it "The 7D / 5D Bake Off".

theShark
03-15-2010, 02:45 PM

Orange wedding films did one, the T2i got the overheating before the 7D.

Osslund
03-18-2010, 03:12 AM
I had three days shooting this week with two different 7Ds and neither showed any sign of overheating.

ROCKMORE
03-18-2010, 05:41 AM
I had three days shooting this week with two different 7Ds and neither showed any sign of overheating.

Hey Editman, I'd figure with those babes on your commercials, something had to overheat.

Zim
03-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Maybe you can tell how you use them when shooting? I'm guessing never very long clips doing this? 1080 or 720? Some people seem to have this problem more than others. I think it is more how you are shooting than maybe a few bad cameras out there.

ATL Media Group
03-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Can you shoot for at least 45 min straight (In 12min segments) without overheating?

Fahnon
03-18-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm about to pick up my T2i and bought an AC adapter hoping that it would help not having a hot battery in there whenever possible. Anyone test to see if not using a battery helps?

Moojangles
03-18-2010, 10:45 PM
i just shot an entire show tonight, 2 hour concert with an intermission in-between. It got very hot in the little auditorium but not once did i have a problem with the t2i. So to answer ATL's question, yes. I filled an entire 16 gig card without over heating.

This was using the LCD on the back, once i get my external monitor that should reduce the heat even more. So far no problems at all. I have another full concert tomorrow and the day after as well. I'll report back with my findings. I definitely needed a 2nd battery and i went through almost 4, 16 gig cards.

ATL Media Group
03-19-2010, 05:08 AM
Good deal! It's back in the running then! Thanks a lot for making my choice a bit harder again... hehe

MadHMC150
03-19-2010, 05:54 AM
For events... you can't stop the show when the camera is over heating... I had the same issue with the T1i and sold it... :( Just not a risk I am willing to take for what I do...

Moojangles
03-19-2010, 11:48 PM
2nd night, once again pretty warm venue. Still using the On-board LCD (damn you UPS!)

One hour+ intermission followed by an hour and a half.

Shot everything non-stop with lens changes in-between sets. No over-heating issues, ran longer than 12 minutes a few times hit the record button to go right back into the next clip almost no pause.

Had to switch the battery, 2 batteries is definitely plenty so far, i've got 2 more cheapies coming in the mail though.

A-Data Class 10, 16 gig cards are holding up very well.

One thing that did help was having 2 Nikon lens adapters so i'd always have my next lens prepped and ready to throw on. Not a lot of time for lens adjustments and setting up the follow-focus does take a second or two.

Paul Jay
03-22-2010, 09:41 AM
It's a power saving feature. RTFM.

Richard J. Johnson
03-22-2010, 09:48 AM
We are about wrap a feature using both cameras and we have used both extensively. The 7D overheats MUCH less. The 550D is great to have as a B cam but the over heating issue makes me happy I own a 7D. It was a real PITA yesterday on set. The battery doesn't last as long either. I have both and the 550D will always be a B cam for me unless I had 2 of them.

vnguyen972
03-22-2010, 10:40 AM
I brought my 7D with me to CA trip to LA and while we were on Hollywood Blvd for about an hour, my 7D was overheat for the 1st time since when I owned it back in October... It was sunny outside and was not super hot or anything... but weird that it overheated... I had to turn it off and walk back to the hotel :-)

nash
03-22-2010, 02:36 PM
I have filmed two documentaries with the 7d; experienced overheating once and never saw it again.

bimdas
03-30-2010, 08:23 PM
I have filmed two documentaries with the 7d; experienced overheating once and never saw it again.

was your doco on polar bears?

aragorn65
04-10-2010, 05:41 AM
The first time I noticed the temp warning icon is when I used the camera on a bright sunny day (it's summer with 35 plus degrees here). My shots are very long. Also I set the LCD to manual with maximum brightness. Setting the brightness level of the lcd could also be a factor.

J Davis
04-10-2010, 08:50 PM
I think overheating may be connected to 3rd party batteries. I wrote this in another thread

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=1957055#post1957055

andythefilmer
04-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Today I had the longest T2i shoot I have ever had (about 5 hours), filming 30 sec clips for a short film. It wasn't terribly hot today, although we were outside but it was in the mid 80's I am sure.. I got the thermometer icon twice about 3 hours in and maybe another 45 min later I got it again. I think it is time for us to join the film camera and RED user trends: bringing ice packs on set!

I think overheating may be connected to 3rd party batteries. I wrote this in another thread

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=1957055#post1957055

I was using the stock Canon E8 battery, if anyone else wanted to know...

ATL Media Group
04-11-2010, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't worry about the overheating if it weren't for the fact that it can cause dead pixels.

mhood
04-11-2010, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't worry about the overheating if it weren't for the fact that it can cause dead pixels.

Please cite your reference for that...please.

ATL Media Group
04-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Please cite your reference for that...please.

jj_orange (http://twitter.com/jj_orange)
Dead red pixel on my 7D after having overheating warning 17times throughout the day. http://tweetphoto.com/17996637

mhood
04-11-2010, 10:05 AM
That is alarming, however since the 7D that overheated 17 times is the one that developed the dead pixel and his other 7D didn't overheat even once and didn't develop any dead pixels, I'm not sure a direct correlation can be made here.

ATL Media Group
04-11-2010, 10:10 AM
But it's fairly obvious that overheating caused a dead pixel. Before overheating: all was fine.. Overheating 17 times: dead pixel.

mhood
04-11-2010, 10:13 AM
There might be a correlation but a defective camera that overheats 17 times when its sister 7D doesn't overheat even once might be prone to developing a dead pixel too. Not so obvious to me but you certainly could be right about it.

andythefilmer
04-11-2010, 01:17 PM
That doesn't look like a dead pixel. You were zoomed in, and it was at ISO 6400. Any camera at a sensitivity that high will give off red or white pixels in dark areas. Only if you're at a lower ISO and it's still there should you be alarmed.