PDA

View Full Version : Scanning for a documentary project with progressi.

Tom_Borg
05-12-2004, 01:23 AM
Hi!

I am making a documentary for TV but the time has come to include photographs and animate them. I have read that it is not a matter of just choosing the highes dpi to scan because it just would frees the NLE. I have to different uses for the photogrph.

a. unanimtaed,unzoomed
b. animate and zoom to 800%

Which dpi and image size, image type (TIFF?) should be the most appropiate in order to get it fine with a 25p project ?

i have a canon9900F scanner...

REcommendations?

thanks a lot.

//TOM

psd: i wonder if one hoped someday to turn a documenatary to 16 mm should this scanning considerations be bigger?

jaw
05-17-2004, 05:06 PM
tom- for images in category (a) you don't need anything more than 72 dpi at 100% of frame size.
for images in category (b), you'll need much more information. zooming up 800% is going to require much more image detail. taking a full frame DV image up 800% gives you a 76 megabyte image at a pixel size of 5760 x 4608. this is at best quality at 100% of the 800% size. now, truth be told, I bet you could get away with a much smaller image. scanning at 400% gives you a 20 megabyte image and you could probably scale it in your editor to 200% of that size and it should hopefully hold enough detail to give you your 800% blow up.
these are just ideas off the top of my head. try it out. experiment. let us nkow how it goes.