PDA

View Full Version : Music Piracy Documentary Film

SHIFT
07-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Just discovered the site and I've been reading the forums for hours.. looks like a great place to interact with other filmmakers. I've been in pre-production on a documentary for nearly 6 months and we're looking to begin production shortly, once we secure the necessary gear (which, of course, includes 2 DVX-100a cams).

I'd just like to link up the film and let people know we're open to anyone who wants to get involved, from whatever angle. We have a core team now but it's a serious project and is going to need more people as it develops.

http://www.shiftfilm.com/

So check it out.. it's a documentary film about music piracy and the industry as a whole, where its headed, and how the rules are changing. If its something you're interested in, let me know and we'll talk. We're planning on being all over the country as we shoot, especially east coast. And as I mentioned, shooting with DVX-100a. Need some people who are involved in music, film production, or whatever else may add to the project..

Dave Walsh

Slapdragon
07-04-2004, 11:28 PM
Just discovered the site and I've been reading the forums for hours.. looks like a great place to interact with other filmmakers. I've been in pre-production on a documentary for nearly 6 months and we're looking to begin production shortly, once we secure the necessary gear (which, of course, includes 2 DVX-100a cams).

I'd just like to link up the film and let people know we're open to anyone who wants to get involved, from whatever angle. We have a core team now but it's a serious project and is going to need more people as it develops.

http://www.shiftfilm.com/

So check it out.. it's a documentary film about music piracy and the industry as a whole, where its headed, and how the rules are changing. If its something you're interested in, let me know and we'll talk. We're planning on being all over the country as we shoot, especially east coast. And as I mentioned, shooting with DVX-100a. Need some people who are involved in music, film production, or whatever else may add to the project..

Dave Walsh

I connect my students with serious documentary producers all of the time. Generally, they cannot work for nothing (although if they have rich parents I tell them to do so) but often then can work for low wages, and they have some great skill sets and some very creative work under their belts by graduation (I make all of my students learn to grip, light, do audio, write, design, work photoshop, final cut pro, photograph, shoot, and do scut work, never knowing where they will go in the industry).

If the production extends into a summer, then I can often connect a real production company (because of some unfortunate experiences with charlatons I do background checks) with a student who gets internship credit for the work.

Recent graduates almost all have jobs when they leave and are reluctant to work for no pay, but sometimes I can also make a connection between a producer and a person who is soon to graduate. Let me know if you have any interest in any of this.

matthewd5
07-07-2004, 10:40 PM
i'm in new england (western mass specifically) and would love to help out if your anywhere within a reasonable driving distance.

matthew

SHIFT
07-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Slapdragon, I appreciate the interest and it sounds like you've got a great idea to help students hook up with productions and be part of the film. You brought up the issue of compensation and, for this project in particular, we aren't able to offer anything more than the experience and all credit where credit is due. We ourselves our college-age students so we aren't in a position to offer fixed payment to production assistants etcetera. I do thank you for the offer and keep our project in mind if you meet anyone who would be interested..

Matthew, sounds great.. nice to hear you're willing to get involved.. would you mind emailing or messaging me with your email address and/or phone number just so I can keep your info along with everyone else.. I'd also like to talk more and see if theres anything more specific you could contribute and answer whatever questions you have, etc. Talk soon..

Dave

Slapdragon
07-09-2004, 11:59 PM
Slapdragon, I appreciate the interest and it sounds like you've got a great idea to help students hook up with productions and be part of the film. You brought up the issue of compensation and, for this project in particular, we aren't able to offer anything more than the experience and all credit where credit is due. We ourselves our college-age students so we aren't in a position to offer fixed payment to production assistants etcetera. I do thank you for the offer and keep our project in mind if you meet anyone who would be interested..
Dave

Understood completely. If you are going to operate in South Carolina or Western New York if I have anyone on hand I am perfectly willing to send them out on a reputable project (I am a bit protective of my students because I have run into some less than reputable people who want their skills). I also have contacts in Colorado, Georgia, Florida, New Hampshire, and Tennessee with former students and students of my colleagues whom I consider above average.