View Full Version : .Documentary Film Releases

02-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there could help or lead me in the right direction on this one....
I am in the works on a documentary and I have the release papers for individuals to sign if their likeness is included in the film or if they are interviewed. What do I do about businesses and getting clearance for certain locations and stores if my subject decides to go into these places? Any specific contracts or releases out there? Does anyone know? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

02-13-2004, 08:59 AM

It's been a number of years since i've shot a doc requiring business releases, but i do remember writing up a different release form. basically, as long as you have a contract that states that the OWNER of the BUILDING and the owner of the BUSINESS (if they are not in fact the same people) have given you full permission to shoot images of the establishment and all items therein, and give you full permission to duplicate, distribute, publicly screen & sell said images at your own discretion, with no compensation or royalties going to the owner of said establishment. get both the building and business owner to sign the contract, and you should be set. also, you may want to put in a clause regarding damages that may occur during shooting. be sure to put in a statement to the effect of the business owner giving you full permission to use/reproduce sell images of their employees & any company logos, graphics, etc. and have the employees sign the standard release form as well.

i don't know where outside logos or graphics come into play (i.e. a neon Budweiser sign in the background while shooting at a bar). You may want to avoid getting them in the shot, or blur them out in post.

Neil Rowe
02-13-2004, 09:32 AM
in general its not a good idea to shoot in any type of store.. there are brand names everywhere, and logos, and such , and al sorts of stuff you have to paint or blur out. also there are alot of other people which may not want their liknesses in the film if they are recognizeable. i would avoid the situation if i could, but if all else fails, just get a wrist brace, and blur away!! of course you need signed release forms from the property owners as well. you can find them free on the net, or ive got release forms i could e -mail out if you like, but i cant say they would be legally binding in your instance in your state/provice/ whatnot. but they are a good start anyway. if you want them, just send me a private message with your e-mail, and i will send you the forms . i have them in pdf and word formats, i also have a word format 16:9 storyboard sheet for printing if you like, as well as some other misc forms that i find useful.

03-22-2004, 12:37 PM
here are some links to releases i use, theyre pretty generic so you can modify them in adobe illustrator or acrobat for your own use.


and for some more info...

07-31-2004, 09:31 AM
Here at this UK site, http://www.bcuc.ac.uk/main.asp?page=687, more releases than you can shake a stick at. Might need some editing in Acrobat. They also have an impressive set of general links here: http://www.bcuc.ac.uk/main.asp?page=1457