PDA

View Full Version : 550D Clip: Sundance Square at Night

Chris Watson
02-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Just wanted to do a lowish light test on the new camera and my new Canon 50 1.8 lens. The 50 was awesome but it's not really a walk around lens so alot of the clips you see on here are from the the Tamron 17-50 2.8. Also, I think I got a bad copy of the 50 but I sort of like the lens flares it gives off. All the shots from the 50 are around 800 iso with the aperture wide open while the Tamron was around 1600-3200 iso with the aperture wide open. Enjoy the clip!

Chris W

PS: I don't have Vimeo Plus so to see the high def version, you have to go to the vimeo page. More thoughts in the summary there as well.

tears2040
02-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Great video, looks nice

ROCKMORE
02-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Just wanted to do a lowish light test on the new camera and my new Canon 50 1.8 lens. The 50 was awesome but it's not really a walk around lens so alot of the clips you see on here are from the the Tamron 17-50 2.8. Also, I think I got a bad copy of the 50 but I sort of like the lens flares it gives off. All the shots from the 50 are around 800 iso with the aperture wide open while the Tamron was around 1600-3200 iso with the aperture wide open. Enjoy the clip!

Nice shots but the lens flair on the 50 is pretty bad. Better send that one back and try some other 50s. Maybe a Canon 50mm 1.4 would perform better with a little more speed and not cost that much more used. The Tamron 17-50 2.8 looks good.

Chris Watson
02-28-2010, 05:15 PM
I was told the lens flare might be from the UV filter I got. I'll do some tests without it on to make sure. I don't totally hate the effect though. Thanks for watching and yeah the Tamron is a great lens. A 17-50 lens is a perfect first lens for this camera. You can keep it on all day.

ROCKMORE
02-28-2010, 06:01 PM
I was told the lens flare might be from the UV filter I got. I'll do some tests without it on to make sure. I don't totally hate the effect though. Thanks for watching and yeah the Tamron is a great lens. A 17-50 lens is a perfect first lens for this camera. You can keep it on all day.

looks like UFOs

PSA1
02-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Yeah that look like a filter reflecting the glare.

Ron Rodenmeyer
02-28-2010, 08:35 PM
+1 to PSA1. I've had the nighttime "green dots" before and they disappeared once I removed the haze filter. Different lens/camera but the same problem I think.

speedjunkie
02-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Id take off the Filters at Night . NO UV to block

Rakesh Jacob
03-01-2010, 06:20 AM
I think the flares are kinda badass! :)

PixelWrangler
03-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Hey Chris - On the Vimeo site (sorry I don't have a Vimeo account.) you mention that the Spiderbrace is useful but not the greatest. You said "the camera is a little too recessed from the crossbeam" I'm having a hard time understanding this statement. Can you please clarify this - I'm liking the footage that you've shot with this setup. I thought that one of the last shots of the sign racking focus to the building might have been on a monopod or a tripod - it looked so rock solid.

Looking to do weddings with this cam as well and I like that the VC Tamron is a great solution for you.

Chris Watson
03-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Hey Chris - On the Vimeo site (sorry I don't have a Vimeo account.) you mention that the Spiderbrace is useful but not the greatest. You said "the camera is a little too recessed from the crossbeam" I'm having a hard time understanding this statement. Can you please clarify this - I'm liking the footage that you've shot with this setup. I thought that one of the last shots of the sign racking focus to the building might have been on a monopod or a tripod - it looked so rock solid.

Looking to do weddings with this cam as well and I like that the VC Tamron is a great solution for you.

It's a very solid rig and I'm getting great stuff with it. Here's some pictures of my rig with me holding it. I think you'll understand why I say the camera sits a little too far back for my taste. There's probably a 90 cent doohickey that will extend it out a little further so the lens is clear of the rig but I haven't found it.....

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad198/dynamotv/P1030541.jpg

The Spiderbrace II by itself

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad198/dynamotv/P1030539.jpg

A close up look at where the camera mounts on the rig

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad198/dynamotv/P1030540.jpg
The t2i with the Tamron 17-50 lens on it.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad198/dynamotv/P1030552.jpg

How I hold the rig. it's possible to unscrew either handle which I'm considering.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad198/dynamotv/P1030551.jpg

Close up of how I zoom.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad198/dynamotv/P1030562.jpg

As you can see, the focus ring is clear of the assembly and really easy to pull focus. If the camera was maybe pushed 2-3 inches further away, this set up would be bullet proof. Still it's not a bad solution and I'm happy with the results. If anyone has suggestions to solve my problem, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Chris W

PixelWrangler
03-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Chris - Awesome response with the visuals and pics. I had a feeling that the cam would be too close to view on a rig (and with my age my eye sight is getting worse with seeing things up close.) It would be nice to move it out forward without making it feel awkward to hold.

Chris Watson
03-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Chris - Awesome response with the visuals and pics. I had a feeling that the cam would be too close to view on a rig (and with my age my eye sight is getting worse with seeing things up close.) It would be nice to move it out forward without making it feel awkward to hold.

Not a problem. I was asked in another forum the same thing, so I had the pics ready to go. It's workable and the results speak for themselves but I would have preferred a little more clearance on the rig to work the focus and zoom. Good luck!

Chris W