PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Travel insurances for video equipment

05-14-2004, 01:53 PM
I am preparing the logistics for a documentary in Ukraine and Russia. I will be there for about 2 months and will be bringing about 15K worth of equipment. Does anyone have any experience with travel insurance policies for video equipment form the US? Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Julio.

Pookiehead
07-07-2004, 01:28 AM
You need something called a Inland-Marine policy--I might have the name wrong. It is totally separate from your "regular" domestic policy.

My insurance covers US and Canada. We are considering a shooting in Majorca, Spain, but the fact that we'd have to get a whole separate policy to do it--or go without--is a big negative.

Slapdragon
07-07-2004, 08:36 AM
You need something called a Inland-Marine policy--I might have the name wrong. *It is totally separate from your "regular" domestic policy.

My insurance covers US and Canada. *We are considering a shooting in Majorca, Spain, but the fact that we'd have to get a whole separate policy to do it--or go without--is a big negative.

Most insurance companies will provide this as a rider to another policy (few will flat out give it to you unless you are a policy holder already). It is a common form of business insurance, but you might not find this service at the corner Allstate, only in their business unit.

Also, if you loose equipment overseas, documentations is extremely important. Insurance companies are very suspiscious about equipment lost with no police report or file claim.

chadburg
07-08-2004, 09:39 PM
www.safeware.com

I purchased a 15k overseas policy for 4 months for under $400...replacement no matter what happens to your gear

shuiproductions
08-13-2004, 02:10 PM
chad, link to safeware didn't work

kylelewis1
08-15-2004, 12:53 PM
I went to safeware.com and it only had information for computer coverage. Do they offer coverage for cameras?

kylelewis1
08-16-2004, 05:02 PM
I emailed safeware and they told me they only cover computers and its accessories. No video cameras.